Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Improving Player - Making the move from Player's Distance irons to CBs

MJAlworth

Quick backstory: I am an 8 handicap, trending downwards, and I have been gaming the Sub70 699 Pros for a few years and I have loved them.

My biggest problem with the Player's distance was the occasional hotshot out of the middle. I feel like I want to earn whatever the outcome is, not be randomly 15-20 yards over the target because of hitting the ball "too well". I figured with a CB, I could depend on distance, and if it came up short because of a bad strike, then that is ok because that is what I earned from the strike.

Through hours of testing at PGA Tour Superstore, I fell in love with the Taylormade P7MCs.

I was able to procure a very lightly used set from a nearby player for an incredible deal, in a pretty similar setup (TrueTemper XSeven shafts instead of KBS C-Taper 130s) and I decided to give them a go.

For whatever reason, my confidence has skyrocketed since. I have been striking the ball more out of the center of the face, I'm shaping shots with intention and consistency. For example, my driver "abandoned" me the last 2 days (nothing says fun times like a push fade), but I kept myself at +8 over the last 27 holes, mostly because of my iron play.  

From my own perspective, the reality of the situation seems to be that I just feel comfortable with the smaller head/topline behind the ball. With the old 4 iron, I was tentative to pull it out of the bag, with the new CB, I use it 4-8 per round and have struck it very well for my ability.

I do not think that this move would necessarily be for everyone, but I am a true believer that if you feel confident when looking down at the ball, and you have postive swing-thoughts, then that will manifest in how you play.

Driver: :callaway-small: Callaway Rogue ST Triple Diamond 10.5° (Mitsubishi Tensei AV White X-Stiff 75g)

3 Wood: :Sub70: Sub70 Pro Fairway 15° (Project X Evenflow Riptide 6.5 75g)

5 Wood: :Sub70: Sub70 949X Fairway 18° (Project X Evenflow Riptide 6.5 75g)

Irons: :taylormade-small:Taylormade P7MC 4-PW (TrueTemper XSeven)

Wedges: :bettinardi-1: 50° Bettinardi & :vokey-small: 54° & 58° Vokey SM8

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot OG No. 7 (SuperStroke Traxion Tour 5.0 grip)

Ball: Vice Pro Plus

I think this is a good case of play what fits you best or inspires you the most. If you are playing better and gaining that confidence along with making good scores then perfect! I am around the same handicap and actually looking at going the opposite direction. Different paths for different golfers!

Great job with finding what works for you and happy to hear your iron play has improved! Really cool!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)