Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Shot Shaper or Point and Shoot?

Swood1994

I have done both. Started as a point and shoot with the shot shape I had. When I got better my stock shot became pretty much straight. At that point I decided my next step improving was to learn to work the ball reliably. So for the next year or so I would would be trying to fade or draw the ball on every shot. I never got to the big shapes but could consistently hit 5 to 10 yard fades or draws with irons into the green. Driving has always been my weakness so even then I tend to just rely on my stock fade with it. After years not playing much I am back to playing more of just a stock pretty straight irons as that I can still do with not much practice but can move the ball consistently with not playing as much. I personally feel the ability to work the ball is only needed as a next step once you become a low handicap because at that point it is how you can shave that next stroke when the shot is needed. That said If you watch the best in the world with the exception of a few, most of them always play their stock shot unless it just can’t be done in that situation. I will say it can be fun to work the ball but for most of your goal is the lowest score you are best off getting as consistent as possible with your stock shape. 

WITB:

Driver: Titleist TSR3 :titleist-small: with TPT Nitro 15Hi 

5 wood: Calloway Paradym Triple Diamond :callaway-small: with TPT Power 15Lo

Driving Iron: Tour Edge Exotics EXS Ti-Utility :tour-edge:

Hybrid: PXG 0317X Gen2 hybrid :PXG: with TPT Power 15Lo

Irons: Takomo 101T :Takomo: with Nippon Modus 120 shafts :Nippon:

Wedges: Celveland RTX4 50 Degree, Calloway Jaws Raw 58 degree Z grind and 54 degree S grind

Putter: Edel EAS 4.0 :edel-golf-1:

Ball: Srixon Z Star Diamond / Z Star XV :srixon-small:

Official 2024 TPT Shaft Test

I just got caught up on this topic, but I'm kind of a mixture. My stock shot shape is a baby draw but I can hit a big draw and and I can hit a fade on command. So I'll definitely bend one around corners or change to a fade when hitting to certain pins, but I just play my stock shot most of the time.

In my Vessel-removebg-preview.png.afd31301c874ee24a33a6c5f06f4ab98.png Lux XV Cart Bag:
Driver: image.png.0d0a9c800176ad44335fd0a7facba020.png RADSPEED XB PTC 10.5° Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 VII Stiff
Utility: callaway-golf-vector-logo-removebg-preview.png.1467fda9195e29c96aa5066f048e91b9.png Apex UW 17° and 19° Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 70 6.0
4 Hybrid: image.png.0d0a9c800176ad44335fd0a7facba020.png KING LTDx 21° KBS PGI 85 Stiff
Irons: image.png.66179558e8e55b8b35b741c037395846.png ZX5/ZX7 Project X LZ 6.0
Wedges: image.png.620c54f7108fefbf49a94ba169f19081.png 2.0 49°, 53°, 57° Project X LZ 6.0
Putter: L.A.B. DF3 34"/67°
Ball: MaxFli.png.395dd0dca3a12529f636728b3e66a134.png Tour (Thanks MGS for allowing me to test these!)

Check out my Official MGS Reviews Below!
:skycaddie: LX5 Watch - Link Here!

MaxFli.png.395dd0dca3a12529f636728b3e66a134.png Tour and TourX Golf Balls - Link Here!

image.png.28a3be9c497202cfc8176faecf8777ad.png Approach S70 Watch - Link Here!

I figured out a while ago that as a casual player, hitting a straight shot is rare for me.  My dominant shot shape continues to be a left to right fade and I've recently learned to hit a knockdown draw.  Once I started tracking the landing spot of my approach shots I figured out that my scores improved when I started using yardages to the back of the green since I learned that when I used the middle of the green yardage I usually came up short of the green.  For years I thought that flying the green was a big no no but it most cases I almost never end up going long.  I found myself pin high way more often and my GIR numbers increased a lot.  Last season I was able to get my handicap down to 11.9 and finally broke 80 once.

I played Baltusrol Lower with a caddie a couple years ago. I must have played the first and second hole well enough that the caddie started really started talking to me. After a nice drive on the 3rd, the caddie asked what club I was thinking for my approach and then said, I want you to club down one club and take it in right to left towards the right side of the green. I looked at him and said, so I’m going to hit it a little right if the pin is what I think I heard you say. 

so long story, for point and shoot. 

Dr. Walter Young IV, PT, DPT

More of a stock shot of the day person - which most of the time is a slight fade.  Some days it does move to a baby draw.  Trouble shots - I can sling a hard fade if needed, much less able to duck hook.  Of late, when doing solo rounds, I will impose scenarios where I “work” to hit a certain shot to a certain target zone.  When playing with others, whatever the range says I am hitting that day is what I plan my shots around.  

WITB? Ping G400 SFT w/Aldila Mamba shaft R flex; Ping G410 3w; Ping G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26); TaylorMade SLDR 5i (interchanges w/5h)-PW -stock graphite shafts Rflex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -Rflex and Odyssey AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

I can't believe nobody's mentioned Scott Fawcett or DECADE yet!

Won't turn this into a DECADE-focused discussion, but I think there are some basic axioms that hold true.  One, I think learning to hit draws and fades is great for skill development and a great way to practice.  However, outside of maneuvering around obstacles (trees), attempting to curve the ball rather than playing your natural shot shape with a good target is probably not the best idea.  Two, I think relying on that natural shot shape and getting to the point of doing it well repeatably on the course is probably a shorter path to lower scores versus trying to bend it towards pins.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

I have been working hard on picturing a shot shape before I set-up. Even if it's playing my default left to right shape, picturing it helps see potential outcomes and also helps a lot of with shots into greens for me. Knowing the most likely shot shape and my miss, helps me find that aim point and use some of the green contours and features to my advantage. 

The main shot shape focus area for me is actually about height, trajectory spin around the green. I've lived and died by the bump and run but trying to add more shots to the bag for short-sided pins, covering hazards, etc. I've found some benefit to learning these shot varieties when it comes to getting out of problem when a tee shot goes wayward.

Driver: Mizuno STZ, HZRDUS Smoke Green 60S, 9.5 Degree 

3 Wood:  Taylormade M2 (2019)

Hybrids:  Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 21 degree, Mizuno JPX Fli-Hi 4

Irons:  Adams XTD (Looking to upgrade!)

Wedges:  Taylormade Milled Grind

Putter:  Odyssey #7

Ball: Vice Pro Plus, Taylormade Tp5x, Kirkland 

Push Cart Mafia - Clicgear 4.0  (See more here)

I'm just looking to get straight down the fairway. I have a natural draw to my shots which I can use to my advantage from time to time but if I'm playing straight, I'm happy and having a good day.

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Max LS

3 Wood: :PXG: Gen 5 0311XF 

Hybrid: :PXG: Gen 5 0311 XF 22 degree

Irons: :PXG: 2022 XCOR2 0211 5-GW

Wedges: :taylormade-small: R Series 54° & 60°

Putter: :odyssey-small:

2023 Test: ⌚Garmin Approach S70 47mm

On 4/6/2023 at 6:21 AM, Tijoli said:

As a sports fan and occasional participant, I am always amazed at the ability to direct a ball.  Whether it’s softball, baseball, golf or even bowling, the ability to send the ball where you want it as opposed to just making contact leaves me in awe.  As a relatively new golfer (started in 2020) I have yet to learn the nuances of ball direction. I play golf more than I have played any other sport and as a active addict, I am loving the progress made so far.  I am a straight shooter and fairly consistent across all my clubs; however, once I reach my stroke goal, I would like to learn how to do this.  It would add another layer of challenge and fun and hopefully lower my score even more.

The easiest way to initially learn to curve a ball is to point the feet, hips and shoulders where you want the ball to start, and point the club head were you want the ball to end. If you want to draw or hook, aim right, take your normal grip while pointing the club head left, and make your normal swing. Opposite for a fade or slice. There is no need to change your swing.

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

Hello, I will go with either a straight shot or a slight draw 95% of the time. I can hit a fade but I’m not as comfortable with that shot so I stay with what gives me the most consistent flight path. I do like to visualize which shape will woke best for the shot at hand. If the sets up for a fade, I hit it straight. If it’s a draw shaped hole, then my draw will be the shot I hit. 

Edited by KenBender

:callaway-small:Epic Max LS 9* ACCRA TZ6

:callaway-small:Epic Speed 3w ACCRA FX

:cobra-small:3H ACCRA FX

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 4-pw Aerotech 

:vokey-small:50,55,60 

:cameron-small: Phantom X 11.5 putter

:titelist-small: prov1

2 hours ago, Beakbryce said:

The easiest way to initially learn to curve a ball is to point the feet, hips and shoulders where you want the ball to start, and point the club head were you want the ball to end. If you want to draw or hook, aim right, take your normal grip while pointing the club head left, and make your normal swing. Opposite for a fade or slice. There is no need to change your swing.

Wow!  That’s so interesting!  I am definitely going to try this at the driving range.  I’ve never watched any videos on it because I didn’t want to screw up my swing so this is too cool!  Thank you!!

Tijoli

With all things equal I would much prefer to have a better/more consistent ball flight arsenal to choose from.  For me, My irons and 3-5w right to left (draw) bias is the norm, still working on getting a predictable fade with them.....My current Driver is left to right (almost always).  Flighting the ball (low/normal/high) is my sweet spot.  This is the one shape (height) I have down in my bag pretty well.  It is very helpful especially on my home courses wind is always a factor.  Keep practicing those shot shapes, it makes my game more interesting (even on the days where it isn't working all that well.)

B_LinksGolf "Any day golfing is better than a day in the office"

What's in the Bag:

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST 3diamond LS: Tensei raw blue 65g stiff

3w/5w: Callaway Rogue ST LS: Tensei raw blue 65g stiff

4i-6i: Callaway '24 Apex CB/Modus 3 130 X-stiff

7i-10i: Callaway '24 Apex MB/Modus 3 130 X-stiff

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw (matte black) 50ºs-grind/54ºs-grind/58ºz-grind

Putter: Callaway AI-one Jailbird mini DB 35"

Lately I have been more consistent on aiming and hitting it down the middle.  Sometimes usually while playing best ball scrambles, I may try to shape a shot but that is usually knowing I have a playable shot to use if needed.

W.I.T.B.-Cobra F9 Driver, Cobra F9 3-4 Fairway Wood, Cobra FMax 3-4 Hybrids and 6-PW, Cobra King MIM 50 degree wedge, Bombtech 56, 60, 72 degree wedges, Ping Scottsdale Carefree putter.

BagBoy Nitron Push Cart

Flatirons GC - Boulder, Thorncreek GC - Thornton

2 hours ago, Beakbryce said:

This is exactly how I do it as well. I tend to find that my setup is the biggest determinant of a good shot. In general I find if my setup is good and I'm comfortable over the ball my margin for error is much much smaller. I'm a firm believer that the golf swing happens so quick that trying to control it and hit "ideal positions" in a split second movement is almost impossible to control. But what we can control before anything else is a good setup position at the ball. 

Driver:  :titleist-small: TSR3 8°, set to A1, Graphite Design UB 7X 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small:SIM 3 Wood 15°, Aldila Rouge Silver 7X

3 Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 18°, Ventus Blue 8S

2 Utility: :srixon-small: ZX Utility, LA Golf Tour AXS Blue, (15th club)

4i-AW:  :srixon-small:ZX7, Tour Issue Dynamic Gold 120's S400

56°: :Sub70: TAIII, Dynamic Gold S400

60° :Sub70: TAIII, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :L.A.B.: Mezz1 Max

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour BX

Forum Reviews: 

:Sub70: Official Member Review Sub 70 TAIII Wedges

:Nippon: Official Member Review Zelos 7 Shaft Review

:vokey-small:Unofficial Vokey SM8 and Wedge & Wedge Works Review 

:srixon-small:Unofficial Srixon 2021 ZX7 Iron Review

:titleist-small: Unofficial TSR3 Review

I have never watched those videos but I would rather be able to point and shoot. Ever since I learned how to draw and fade the ball I can no longer hit the ball straight when I want to. It's something I am working on now. I think it's actually easier to hit your targets when its P&S then you just judge the wind. But putting a ton of draw or fade on a ball leaves a lot of variables that can go wrong. Just my opinion. I know there are people out there like you're talking about who do it quite well. So I guess it is probably just more of what you're comfortable with.

WITB

Driver: :taylormade-small:Stealth Plus+  Diamana ZF60 Flex X Shaft

3 Wood:  :cobra-small: King F8

Hybrid: :titleist-small: TSI3

Irons: :titleist-small: 2019 T100s Limited Edition Black

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM6s 52, 56, & 60 (Black Heads)

Putter: :cameron-small:  Phantom X 5.5

Gear: Bushnell Wingman & Shot Scope Pro LX+w/H4 for yardages. 

Stat Tracking: The Grint App

I’m more hit & hope… I tend to fade the ball naturally, but that can be a slice or hook in an eye blink.

I can set up to fade around things fairly well. I can’t draw worth a damn, even with a pencil. 

Typically, I set up on the left side of the tee and find middle 43% (Arccos) or right 37% of the time. The remaining 20% is a unhappy hooker.

Chasing my ball around the cow field, trying to avoid the “ruff.”

53 minutes ago, Golf Dawg said:

I’m more hit & hope… I tend to fade the ball naturally, but that can be a slice or hook in an eye blink.

I can set up to fade around things fairly well. I can’t draw worth a damn, even with a pencil. 

Typically, I set up on the left side of the tee and find middle 43% (Arccos) or right 37% of the time. The remaining 20% is an unhappy hooker.

I’m happy 😃 with a hooker 😂 

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

10 hours ago, Frickenhacker said:

Sadly I am no shot shaper. Point and shoot rarely works either lol, I'm more of a spray and pray kinda guy !

Hey the shot is still shaping, even if you don’t know which shape until it happen 🤣

WITB:

Wedges: Celveland RTX4 50 Degree, Calloway Jaws Raw 58 degree Z grind and 54 degree S grind

1 minute ago, rosco1963 said:

Point, shoot, pray, search!

Rinse and repeat

Finding a way to turn birdies into bogeys since 1992. #TeamChunks

'23 Forum Tester: image.png.9f90721cd28bc7b0a9c9a7080e1e9365.png Elixir Golf Ball

WITB:image.png.3fd681db3510b6ca5b9cd8746bbb1447.pngTS2 10.5° @ 11.25° Screenshot_20230525_003120_Chrome2.jpg.453ea23fc579d3ff5d81168fdd3d1632.jpgTensei blue AV 55 R graph•917f2 15° @ 16.5° Screenshot_20230525_003120_Chrome2.jpg.453ea23fc579d3ff5d81168fdd3d1632.jpgDiamana blue x5ct dialed 70 R graph•image.png.34e4547e173a54172ff78e7545cfce3c.pngStealth 22° image.png.3e3fd052b67b6f62d3666b666d7109fe.png Ventus red 6 (non-velo) R graph• image.png.8fb479c452fc063454e923dea514c13d.png699u 2i 17° image.png.9a4846088e26973fb7fe5624bddbdc81.png tgi 70 R graph•24° image.png.d2eb192c22d125fefbd3607df7e0b327.png Tour v 90 black pvd R steel•699 6i-PW image.png.9a4846088e26973fb7fe5624bddbdc81.png Tour 110 black pvd R steel• image.png.eca9fa52c016ce4745893f387fef46df.pngSM8 50°/08° @ 52°/10° SM8 stock steel• image.png.3a7bdc80b43a23d4e08c16f2f319cc28.pngJaws Full Toe 56°/12° Screenshot_20230525_002154_Google2.jpg.c2d23d7abfb8451e510d254517410b64.jpgDG Spinner TI steel •image.png.98634e318580c192c5682c5d7f2a763a.png c series DW 2.0 slant neck stock steel•image.png.13e1aa1ef13bc0a92bb27f2e4df082a9.pngPhantom 2 gps•Tour v3 rangefinder•image.png.9f90721cd28bc7b0a9c9a7080e1e9365.pngElixir golf ball•

My most reliable shot is a fade, not a lot, but some movement left to right.  I found that if I call my shot, even if just in my head, I can execute the shot visualized.

I can hit a draw, although I most of the times it is on accident.  

Richard D. Shows II

Driver: PING G400 Max, 9.5*

Fairway woods: PING 425, 14* and PING G Series, 16.5*

Hybrids: PING G Series, 3H (19*), 4H (22*), 5H (26*)

Irons: PING 425, 7-SW

Wedge: Cleveland RTX ZipCore (58*)

Putter: YES! Callie or TaylorMade Spider GT(New)

Bag: Sun Mountain CX1 cart bag (Red, White and Blue)

Balls: Titleist ProV1, Srixon QStar (&Tour), Callaway ERC Soft, TaylorMade TP5

Rangefinder: TecTecTec!

• 2 weeks later...

I invented a style today called "swing and curse"

Finding a way to turn birdies into bogeys since 1992. #TeamChunks

'23 Forum Tester: image.png.9f90721cd28bc7b0a9c9a7080e1e9365.png Elixir Golf Ball

WITB:image.png.3fd681db3510b6ca5b9cd8746bbb1447.pngTS2 10.5° @ 11.25° Screenshot_20230525_003120_Chrome2.jpg.453ea23fc579d3ff5d81168fdd3d1632.jpgTensei blue AV 55 R graph•917f2 15° @ 16.5° Screenshot_20230525_003120_Chrome2.jpg.453ea23fc579d3ff5d81168fdd3d1632.jpgDiamana blue x5ct dialed 70 R graph•image.png.34e4547e173a54172ff78e7545cfce3c.pngStealth 22° image.png.3e3fd052b67b6f62d3666b666d7109fe.png Ventus red 6 (non-velo) R graph• image.png.8fb479c452fc063454e923dea514c13d.png699u 2i 17° image.png.9a4846088e26973fb7fe5624bddbdc81.png tgi 70 R graph•24° image.png.d2eb192c22d125fefbd3607df7e0b327.png Tour v 90 black pvd R steel•699 6i-PW image.png.9a4846088e26973fb7fe5624bddbdc81.png Tour 110 black pvd R steel• image.png.eca9fa52c016ce4745893f387fef46df.pngSM8 50°/08° @ 52°/10° SM8 stock steel• image.png.3a7bdc80b43a23d4e08c16f2f319cc28.pngJaws Full Toe 56°/12° Screenshot_20230525_002154_Google2.jpg.c2d23d7abfb8451e510d254517410b64.jpgDG Spinner TI steel •image.png.98634e318580c192c5682c5d7f2a763a.png c series DW 2.0 slant neck stock steel•image.png.13e1aa1ef13bc0a92bb27f2e4df082a9.pngPhantom 2 gps•Tour v3 rangefinder•image.png.9f90721cd28bc7b0a9c9a7080e1e9365.pngElixir golf ball•

• 3 months later...

I love to shape the ball, it really makes the game so much more fun! Besides, that's what most of us are playing this game for, it's all in the name of fun in the end! If you get really good at it, its like having several extra clubs in the bag because you can use that to adjust some distances, eg. a high fade will take off some distance, while a bullet draw will add some

Blake Hopkins

Ping G430 Driver, Titleist Tsi2 3 wood, Titleist H2 3 hybrid, Titleist t300 irons (4-gw), Vokey 54 wedge, Cleveland RTX Zipcore 60 wedge, Taylormade Spider putter

• 1 month later...

As this season has progressed, I’ve been able to get back in my groove and can hit fades and draws on demand. My go to shot is a baby draw but I can change it up when needed. 

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

3 hours ago, Preeway said:

As this season has progressed, I’ve been able to get back in my groove and can hit fades and draws on demand. My go to shot is a baby draw but I can change it up when needed. 

It's a great feeling being able to do that. It still in me but defiantly not on consistent. Don't play enough anymore for that. I actually get myself it trouble sometimes because my brain still thinks that way but my body does not cooperate anymore 😂

WITB: