Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Driver shaft length- going shorter?

Brian W.D.

I’ve been thinking about trying a shorter shaft in my driver. I’m playing a Cobra LTDx at 9 degrees with a Hzrdus Blue in X flex. It plays at 45”. I tend to hit it high on the face. I’m looking for more consistent contact and control. Who’s been playing a shorter driver?

Is anyone playing a driver at 43.5” to 44.5”? 
Did your contact improve?  

Did you lose any distance?

Titleist TS3 Driver 

Titleist 915 5wood 

Titleist 918 hybrid 

Callaway Apex irons 

Titleist wedges 

Putter always changing 

Shortest I've gone to is 44", I've found that 44.5"-45" is my sweet spot at 5'11". I really didn't notice any difference in dispersion going down to 44".

I also tried a 3w shaft in my Great Big Bertha head a few years back. Even with some lead tape I couldn't get it to feel right and I was actually spraying it more than I did with the stock shaft in it.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Google diy driver tune up and follow that to find your best playing length/setup

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Google diy driver tune up and follow that to find your best playing length/setup

Great info. Thanks 

Titleist TS3 Driver 

Titleist 915 5wood 

Titleist 918 hybrid 

Callaway Apex irons 

Titleist wedges 

Putter always changing 

So I have am toying with the idea of going shorter. I have been cooking up an inch or more on my driver through this season and it has kept it in play. I have put tape on the grip to remind me to choke down. Its a good way to experiment without permanently changing the shaft.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

22 minutes ago, pozzit said:

So I have am toying with the idea of going shorter. I have been cooking up an inch or more on my driver through this season and it has kept it in play. I have put tape on the grip to remind me to choke down. Its a good way to experiment without permanently changing the shaft.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

That’s a good idea. I think I’ll start with taping the grip.

Titleist TS3 Driver 

Titleist 915 5wood 

Titleist 918 hybrid 

Callaway Apex irons 

Titleist wedges 

Putter always changing 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I haven’t shortened my driver yet but I’ve been gripping down about one inch. It’s tightened up center of face contact and shot the shape has become more consistent. Still two things I need to look into. First, I haven’t added any weight to the head, so it feels a little lighter. If I do cut it down, I’ll play around with the swing weight. Second, I don’t know if it’s costing me any distance. I’m hoping to get on trackman tonight. So hopefully I’ll have some answers soon.

Titleist TS3 Driver 

Titleist 915 5wood 

Titleist 918 hybrid 

Callaway Apex irons 

Titleist wedges 

Putter always changing 

I was just fit for a shorter shaft in driver. Honestly I’ve been legitimately fit for everything from 453/4 to 441/4 over the past 10 years. When I’ve had the longer shafts I’ve generally ended up gripping down.

My most recent fitting was 441/4 so that’s what I got.  My understanding is that you get a better driver if you have the shaft shortened for its build. 

I got to hit my new driver today for the first time and really

liked it. Ball speed and launch angle were up, spin rate down, smash factor, carry distance and total distance up too. Trying it out on the course on Saturday. 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

shortening the club changes the swing weight but i would 100% recommend it.  The drivers of today are way to long for the average amateur......most pros dont play 46" drivers unless they are DJ at 6'3"......  if you are an average size human under 6 feet, a 44" driver is where you should be 1/2" on either side of that # should wrk just fine as well

Rory takes off a 1/2" and gained yardage from better strikes and speed.... i play mine at 44" and stiffened up the profile....shaft is borderline "boardy" in a PX black but its flies far and straight....no ballooning or radical mishits like i had with a 46" (advertised at 45.5""

Golf is cool

My driver is 45” long and was fit.  Driving became my strongest part of golf, averaging 241 yards and good fairways hit.  I started spraying the ball and grew frustrated.  For the last two rounds I’ve choked up about an inch.  Those two rounds averaged 251 and great fairways hit.  Just shows you how bad I am hitting near center face with a 45” driver!!! 

TSi2 Driver, Titleist TSi2 4 Wood, Ping G410 3 Hybrid, Ping G400 4 Hybrid, Maltby TS1 5-GW, Maltby Max Milled 54, Maltby Max Milled 58, Piretti Forza.

Some folks say golf messes up a nice walk.  That’s not true, golf makes a nice walk bearable.

all you're trying to do is find the middle of the face on a consistent basis. if that means 43" or 46" or somewhere between you ought to do it.

I've always been fit into 44.5 and for some reason - maybe it's my height, posture, where I grip the club - that seems to work for me.

I'll sacrifice that long out of bounds ball for center face contact and a bit shorter.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

The middle of face isn’t the best spot to hit driver on. It’s slight above and slightly towards the toe(see photo 2). Contact should be in a 3/4” circle of ideal spot

Photo one shows the impact on launch and sping for different areas of the face

DF400ED9-1689-41CF-BAC6-25D08425ACB0.png

98F7528E-E276-41C4-A02E-5C22A549A7F5.png

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Thanks RickyBobby - I'm guessing the guys that wrote, "Middle of the clubface" actually meant sweet spot but it's helpful to remember that the dead middle is not the sweet spot for driver.

I think it's also helpful to remember that just because Rory did it doesn't mean it will work for us. Plus just willy nilly cutting a shaft down doesn't necessarily guarantee that you will arrive at the proper length. It's always best to be fit to find out what the right length is for delivering the sweet spot to the ball.  It's also most helpful to start with the proper fit as changing lengths change swing weights and shaft performances.  For some people that doesn't matter but for others it may matter a lot.  I have always been in the camp that most goflers will benefit from a shorter shaft on their driver but most is not all.  I'd hate to see a guy mess up a 600 dollar club chasing a few yards.  

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

6 minutes ago, revkev said:

Thanks RickyBobby - I'm guessing the guys that wrote, "Middle of the clubface" actually meant sweet spot but it's helpful to remember that the dead middle is not the sweet spot for driver.

Probably but many think the sweet spot is in the center of the face or the circle around it. That’s not the case and the actual sweet spot on most drivers is where the pic displays it to be. 

8 minutes ago, revkev said:

It's always best to be fit to find out what the right length is for delivering the sweet spot to the ball.  It's also most helpful to start with the proper fit as changing lengths change swing weights and shaft performances.  For some people that doesn't matter but for others it may matter a lot

Agree, however there is a way to determine what works for each person on their own with a little bit of work. It’s detailed in the diy driver tuneup thread on wrx where the pics came from.

As for swing weights some are more sensitive to others and don’t need to change on a shorter shaft. The thread also dives into how to test how much weight to add back when cutting down, and it’s not just I cut off X amount which equals Y swing weight points so I need to add Z weight back.

On 4/30/2023 at 7:26 AM, Brian W.D. said:

I’ve been thinking about trying a shorter shaft in my driver. I’m playing a Cobra LTDx at 9 degrees with a Hzrdus Blue in X flex. It plays at 45”. I tend to hit it high on the face. I’m looking for more consistent contact and control. Who’s been playing a shorter driver?

Is anyone playing a driver at 43.5” to 44.5”? 
Did your contact improve?  

Did you lose any distance?

... Several nice replies here. I would add an Iron Byron machine can swing a longer driver faster than a shorter driver and hit the sweet spot. The irony is humans more often than not swing a shorter driver faster and hit the sweet spot more often. A slightly faster swing speed with contact closer to the sweet spot increases distance. As with all things golf, finding that perfect length isn't easy and different for everyone. Then there are some seniors and female players with slower swings and a smooth transition, so they can swing a longer driver faster. 

... Before it's time UST introduced their I.T. shaft the stood for Inertial Transfer as a system meant to be played at 44" and D0 with the shaft weight around 100gms but heavily counter balanced using Titanium in the butt end that allowed for more weight in the head ... all combing for a faster swing and more distance. Freddie Couples won with this shaft on tour along with several others. I used the I.T. for several years when I was much younger and still have one. Interesting side note is they sold for around $110 which was unheard of back when you could buy an aftermarket Graphite Design YS6 or YS7 that were both played on Tour for under $50. I had more than a few tell me nobody is ever gonna pay over $100 just for a golf shaft. 🤪

I.T.Shaft.JPG.b0abefb3a6e3e52d1ae7fe79ace4cd23.JPG

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

So I’ll have a question I hit pretty pure with my 3 wood which is shortened a half inch should I shorten my driver as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#GoBallsOutAlways #GoRickieGo

Driver:      :Sub70:849 Pro-:projectx:HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 70 6.0-NO1 50 Series Grip
Fairway:   :Sub70:949X-:projectx:HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 70 6.0 (1/2 inch short)-NO1 50 Series Grip
Driving Irons:     :Sub70:699 Pro 2-:truetemper: DG S400- NO1 50 Series Grips

Irons:     Custom:Sub70: 639 CB 5-Pw :truetemper: DG S400- NO1 50 Series Grips   
Wedges:   WedgeFx 52,56,60-:truetemper: DG S400Shafts-NO1 50 Series Grips 
Putter:      :Sub70: Sycamore 007-NO1 P90 Pistol Grip
Ball:           :odin:X1

Bag:     Side Street- Back9 Backpack Bag

Link to my Bag Boy ZTF Review!

So I’ll have a question I hit pretty pure with my 3 wood which is shortened a half inch should I shorten my driver as well!

#GoBallsOutAlways #GoRickieGo

Driver:      :Sub70:849 Pro-:projectx:HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 70 6.0-NO1 50 Series Grip
Fairway:   :Sub70:949X-:projectx:HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 70 6.0 (1/2 inch short)-NO1 50 Series Grip
Driving Irons:     :Sub70:699 Pro 2-:truetemper: DG S400- NO1 50 Series Grips

Irons:     Custom:Sub70: 639 CB 5-Pw :truetemper: DG S400- NO1 50 Series Grips   
Wedges:   WedgeFx 52,56,60-:truetemper: DG S400Shafts-NO1 50 Series Grips 
Putter:      :Sub70: Sycamore 007-NO1 P90 Pistol Grip
Ball:           :odin:X1

Bag:     Side Street- Back9 Backpack Bag

Link to my Bag Boy ZTF Review!

33 minutes ago, OdinSnipes414 said:

You can try, it may or may not work.

Use search engine of choice and search diy driver tuneup. Follow the instructions in there and see what works for you

Now I’ve tried it at 44”, 44.5”, and 45”. For me the best, by far, is 45” with a swing weight of D-3. Average length, dispersion, and strike location on the face were the best. It was worthwhile to take the time and work through the different options.

Titleist TS3 Driver 

Titleist 915 5wood 

Titleist 918 hybrid 

Callaway Apex irons 

Titleist wedges 

Putter always changing 

I recently went to 44.5", was fitted for 45.75"..  I know not much difference so we will see how goes at that length as I do tend to find the center of face more and have not lost any distance.

Driver:   TaylorMade Stealth 10.5*

Wood:     Taylormade Stealth 15*

Irons:      TaylorMade 2021 P790 4-PW / KBS Tour Lite Regular

Wedge:   Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Putter:    TaylorMade Spider GT

Balls:      Testing Several

Other:       Arccos  

• 1 month later...

changing to the 45” from the 45.5” has been a game changer. The driver is a weapon again!

Titleist TS3 Driver 

Titleist 915 5wood 

Titleist 918 hybrid 

Callaway Apex irons 

Titleist wedges 

Putter always changing 

Years ago I did shortened the driver shaft and I got more accuracy and a little more distance as I was hitting the sweet spot a much more. Went back to the normal length, not sure why. 

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

On 5/1/2023 at 11:17 AM, Brian W.D. said:

That’s a good idea. I think I’ll start with taping the grip.

The plus for GP grips help me with choking down, the shaft doesnt get to thin for the right hand when its lower on the grip.

Ping 430 Max H/L 10 Degree Geezer Flex

Ping 425 7 wood Geezer Flex

Ping 425 5H [Not in bag]

TM DHY 4/5

Titlist 5-Gap T300's Geezer Flex

Wedges Cleveland RTX Fullface Zipcore 52 degree and TM Hi Toe 4 56 degree

Putter Scotty Cameron Golo S Center Shafted

Ball Bridgestone BXS , Trying The Maxfli Tour S also

Bag Titlist 15 Cart Bag

Just a thought, a lot of people who said shorter length didnt help or was worse did not address swing weight, a cheap pack of lead tape until you decide what works then most modern drivers have an interchangeable weight that can be used to make a more permenant fix. Heck if your 3W fits the driver whats a few pieces of lead to try if your losing balls left and right out of bounds with a full length driver, length of drive and pride doesnt show on a score card.

Ping 430 Max H/L 10 Degree Geezer Flex

Ping 425 7 wood Geezer Flex

Ping 425 5H [Not in bag]

TM DHY 4/5

Titlist 5-Gap T300's Geezer Flex

Wedges Cleveland RTX Fullface Zipcore 52 degree and TM Hi Toe 4 56 degree

Putter Scotty Cameron Golo S Center Shafted

Ball Bridgestone BXS , Trying The Maxfli Tour S also

Bag Titlist 15 Cart Bag

I have been playing around with choking down so far this season and its seems to have tightened dispersion a bit so far. Will be checking out that driver tune up video, going to get some hard numbers soon and will certainly try shorter shafts the next time I get fit.

• 1 month later...

I went from being a 300+ yard driver with NO idea where my ball was going (and a 8 or so handicap) down to a 3.9 handicap and consistently hitting the fairway at 275-300 depending on how I'm feeling, the wind, and the rollout.  Add in a little short game improvement after making my wedge raw made them softer, and a putter change last winter to the driving accuracy, and suddenly, my Mizuno Pro 223 irons are the worst part of my game...kind of crazy since putting those in the bag alone dropped my handicap a few points last year.  I know the irons lofts / lies / lengths are right because I just spent almost 2 hours on checking them with a fitter at Club Champion on the Trackman.  The 3 Trackman sessions and free loft / lie adjustments you get to keep your clubs are just a couple of the reasons a CC fitting isn't a bad deal after all, especially if you can get them to offer you a military discount on buying the clubs themselves!  It is obviously harder to shave a lot of strokes off your handicap when you're in the 3-8 range, but shortening the driver and cutting out the 1-2 OB penalties I was getting every round has really helped me with that.  I took a full 1" off my 45.5" driver, and even being 6'4", that has been the sweet spot.

• Callaway Epic Flash Tour Certified - 8.5° with MCA Tensei Raw AV White 70 Gram Tour X - Tipped 1" - Set to N / -1
  • Callaway AiSmoke Triple Diamond - 15* 3-wood - Project X Denali 6.5 flex shaft - Set to N/S
  • Titleist TS2 Hybrid (18°) with MCA Tensei White AV 80X shaft - C1 setting
  • Taylormade P7MC (2020) Irons - 4-9 (Standard L/L) with Tour Issue X100 Shafts at +5/8"
  • Taylormade MG4 48.09SB TI X100 and 52.09SB / 56.12SB / 60.07LBV wedges with DG TI Onyx Black X100 Shafts at +5/8"
  • Golf Pride ZGRIP Plus2 on irons and wedges (plus fairway) / Lamkin ST Hybrid Midsize on Driver / Hybrid
  • Sik DW (2.0) C Series Putter in black finish (36") with Sik Golf Black Pistol
  • Balls: Mostly Maxfli Tour

I have my driver at 44in and my 3 wood shortened 1/2in.  I feel more controlled on my shots.  I also just switched to one length irons and cut them down to 8 iron length instead of 7 iron. 1/2in.

It's all what feels the best for the player.  

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

On 6/22/2023 at 6:53 AM, Fred Mitchell said:

The plus for GP grips help me with choking down, the shaft doesnt get to thin for the right hand when its lower on the grip.

I add 2 extra tapes for my bottom hand under the grip, feels much better for me 😁

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…