Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Driving iron or Hybrid ??

I built myself one. Took a super game improvement 4 iron (around 19* of loft) with a tour ad-di hybrid shaft to replace my hybrid and it’s been extremely consistent and easy to hit all season for me. With the jacked lofts of the super game improvement clubs these days it’s an easy transition 

Tom C

On 7/27/2023 at 8:13 AM, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

I’m gonna kind of have all three at some point. Versatility. 4w/7w (apex uw, some call it a hybrid)/ and then the Caley DI for forum testing. Like cnosil, you need to find what works for you. Some days my 4w is a monster, other days I need to rely on my UW. Good luck with figuring out the toughest part of the bag since there are so many options 

Well you beat me to this reply here @Vegan_Golfer_PNW. This has been the ticket for me as well.  I have an SLDR 3HL 4-wood (set @16.25*) that is a do it all fairway wood for me, then I use a 19* very small headed 5-wood that is also cut at 41" instead of the stock 42-42.5" of a modern 5-wood (effectively I made my own UW from a head I loved w/o paying $300 for a UW from Callaway).  I then use a Callaway UT as a 3 iron/driving iron that is weakened to 20*.  I know the lofts don't necessarily make sense, but it's the gaps that matter and what you can do with them.  I carry 4-wood 250, then my "UW" 235, then the UT "220, then hit the 4-iron in my set at 205 carry.  It has really changed my versatility at the top end of the bag for me.  It has also helped me with the short game, which I didn't expect, as it forced me to drop a wedge.  My traditional setup for years was 46,50,54, and 58, but the top end became a problem for me, as I often couldn't take advantage of some reachable par 5s w/o a 230-235 yard club in the bag.  Having to drop a wedge allowed me to go 46, 52, 58 and it cleaned up a lot of decision making at the bottom end of the bag and in the short game.

I must clarify this:  I also have an SLDR 3-wood (set att 13.5*) and 5-wood (set at 18.25*) that make it in the bag for longer courses that I play, and I go back to the 4 wedge setup on shorter courses and just pull out the "UW" or figure out which fairway wood I'll need the most in the top end for that course.  I hope that all makes sense.  I am a golf coach, and former collegiate player, so I play everywhere, and I am big on bag setup if it's something you have the means to control. I never want to be in a place on a golf course that I don't have the right tool and it forces me to change my strategy.

Driver: Taylormade SIM (9*, Neutral Setting), Aldila Rogue Elite Blue 55-X

Fairway Woods: Taylormade SLDR (15* @ 13.5*) - Mitsubishi AV Raw Orange 75-X, (17* @ 16.25) - Mitsubishi CK Pro Blue 75-X, (19* @ 18.25) - Mitsubishi CK Pro Blue 75-X

Hybrid: Taylormade Retro Raylor (19*) - Aldila Proto By You 85-X @ 41"

Utility: Callaway X Forged UT CF18 (18* weakened to 20*) - Matrix Ozik Black Tie HM3 95-X

Irons: Titleist 735 CM (4-P) - Nippon Modus 120 X (+1/2", Standard Lies)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 (50*), Cleveland 588 Rotex (54* & 58*), Taylormade RAC TP (52*) - KBS Tour 130 X (+12", Standard Lies)

Putters: OG Ping Anser 3 @ 34", Ping Redwood ZB Satin @ 34"

Golf Ball: Titleist Pro V1 X

I currently use the Taylormade P790 UDI, it's great club for an fairway finder, off the deck in the fairway and actually has been really good for out of the rough, even though it goes against what a lot of people who test them say. When I look down at a hybrid I just can't get myself to not say that it is going to go left (I'm a righty). I actually would prefer a 5w or 7w because a fairway wood doesn't have the same effect on me with going left. I just prefer the look of an iron over a hybrid.

It is no doubt a preference thing for all golfers because when you look down at a club, you have to have confidence it's going to hit the shot you want it to. If you look down at a club and it doesn't give you that confidence then it is basically a pointless club in your bag and is a wasted spot that could be filled with a club that better suits your eye. Because if you don't have confidence in it, your not going to use it.

RD12

10 minutes ago, bevoboy75457 said:

Well you beat me to this reply here @Vegan_Golfer_PNW. This has been the ticket for me as well.  I have an SLDR 3HL 4-wood (set @16.25*) that is a do it all fairway wood for me, then I use a 19* very small headed 5-wood that is also cut at 41" instead of the stock 42-42.5" of a modern 5-wood (effectively I made my own UW from a head I loved w/o paying $300 for a UW from Callaway).  I then use a Callaway UT as a 3 iron/driving iron that is weakened to 20*.  I know the lofts don't necessarily make sense, but it's the gaps that matter and what you can do with them.  I carry 4-wood 250, then my "UW" 235, then the UT "220, then hit the 4-iron in my set at 205 carry.  It has really changed my versatility at the top end of the bag for me.  It has also helped me with the short game, which I didn't expect, as it forced me to drop a wedge.  My traditional setup for years was 46,50,54, and 58, but the top end became a problem for me, as I often couldn't take advantage of some reachable par 5s w/o a 230-235 yard club in the bag.  Having to drop a wedge allowed me to go 46, 52, 58 and it cleaned up a lot of decision making at the bottom end of the bag and in the short game.

I must clarify this:  I also have an SLDR 3-wood (set att 13.5*) and 5-wood (set at 18.25*) that make it in the bag for longer courses that I play, and I go back to the 4 wedge setup on shorter courses and just pull out the "UW" or figure out which fairway wood I'll need the most in the top end for that course.  I hope that all makes sense.  I am a golf coach, and former collegiate player, so I play everywhere, and I am big on bag setup if it's something you have the means to control. I never want to be in a place on a golf course that I don't have the right tool and it forces me to change my strategy.

Nice setup. Yes for me I will actually likely drop the 4i as I struggle to hit it well. I also could drop a wedge instead and would like drop by 58. Unless I am in a steep faced bunker or have a super short sided chip I actually don’t use it much since my 54 is my chipping club and primary pitching club. 

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

On 7/27/2023 at 7:44 AM, Big moose said:

When they came out with the hybrids Jerry Kelly said it was like stealing money because they are much easier to hit, and I agree with him. I have a 3,4 and 5 hybrid in my bag and if I need to hit a fairway on a short par 4 it's my 4 hybrid every time. 

On a tight par 4, I’m a 4hybrid guy off the tee as well! I would be interested in a utility iron to help keep the ball low. In Michigan, I can tell that the wind really crushes the ball once it gets over the tree line. So it would be interesting to compare them, but for now I love the 4 hybrid.  

WITB (link to detailed post here):

Driver:  Cobragolflogo.png.602fb363b272aeca0ae57ab591da02de.png LTDx 9* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff)

Fairway metals:  TITLEIST_logo_15px.png.86858562876473681822bdce0336ecd4.png 3W TSR2 14.25* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff) | PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png 5W Gen4 0341XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75 S)

Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png4H Gen4 0317XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75HY S)

Irons:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 659 CB 5-AW (Project X Rifle 6.0)

Wedges:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 286 54* & 58* (KBS Tour 120 S)

Putter:  Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png AL-6 armlock | Unofficial review here

Ball:   Vice_logo.png.282566e7be35424dbb3a5d3359e6385f.png pro drip: red & blue | MAXFLI_logo_15px.png.137df4bf59bf3628d99abc6ca08fd43f.png Tour S

Pushcart:  clicgear_logo.png.5569d627daa35e79384784c8a4e886f4.png 4.0 | '23 MGS Clicgear 4.0 Pushcart Tester | Link here

So much of it comes down to your swing and what you need. Driving irons typically require a little more giddy up to get the distance/height you would want off of the tee to make them feasible. Hybrids offer the forgiveness and ability to use from the fairway when you’re attacking greens due to their ability to give you a little bit more air and spin. 

I personally struggled to hit a hybrid accurately due to the natural draw bias of some of them and my swing. Switched to a callaway apex UT and will never look back. Will never not have a 2/3 iron in my bag from now on. 

For an easy swing and a great fairway finder it’s a 3 or 4 G425 hybrid from Ping for me. Easy swing and I’m out there over 200yards. I wanted the driving iron/crossover but just couldn’t hit it as well as the hybrids. The 5 wood came out of the bag to make room for the 3 hybrid. 

Just trying to get better! 

I am a huge driving iron fan.  I have an 18* Srixon ZX with the stock recoil x flex cut down .5".  It hits a flight almost like a fairway wood or hybrid but it is way easier to control for me.  It has replaced all woods and hybrids for me and saves me a few penalty strokes per round of the tee.  So now I have Driver, 2i, 4-pw, and I get to use an extra wedge. This allows me to have ~4* gaps between everything from my 4i - 62*.   I've played better golf this summer than ever before.

Handicap 5.4

Driver - Titleist TSI3 10* @ 9.25, speeder 757 

Fwy - Titleist TSI3 16.5* 4 wood, speeder 757

Driving Iron - Srixon ZX 18*, recoil x flex

Irons - 4-P Srixon Z945, kbs tour 130 x

Wedges - 50* - Mizuno t22, Taylormade MG4 TW 56, Vokey SM9 60

Putter - Edel EAS 1.0

I got rid of my 3 wood. I have a U505 2i with a ventus hybrid shaft. I also have a 4 wood, 5 wood, 18 degree hybrid, and 21 degree hybrid. Im only able to carry 3 of those 5 clubs in my bag. Currently have 4 wood, 5 wood, 18 degree hybrid in the bag. Plan on trading in the 21 degree hybrid because unfortunately it goes the same distance as my 5i, despite hitting the 21 degree hybrid really well. Im going to try this callaway super hybrid lofted at 15 degrees and remove the 5 wood from my bag. My 18 degree hybrid and 4 wood are fairway finders for me, so hopefully the super hybrid can join those 2 clubs and also need it to go about 250 out the fairway!!

Edited by Sherlock

"Stay in the short grass"

I LOVE driving irons and have a few that I cycle in and out of my bag depending on the course and conditions. Currently I have the Ping iCrossover 2 (18 degrees) that has been a real weapon, but I also recently order a Titleist U505 1 iron (16 degrees) that I can swap in and out for my 3 wood whenever I don't need it (the 3 wood doesn't get a lot of use, but I still love having it). 

I was never a big hybrid guy, but I do have a Ping G430 2 hybrid that I have been experimenting with and had some great numbers with so that has a chance at taking my 3 wood spot. 

I both love and hate golf equipment because of stuff like this....always tinkering....haha

WITB (Current):

Driver: Ping G430 Max 10.5, Mitsubishi Kai'Li X-Flex (set at 9.5)

Wood(s): Ping G425 LST 3 Wood 15, Ping Tour 2.0 Black X-Flex 

Hybrid/Driving Iron: Ping iCrossover 2 (18 degrees), Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome X-Flex

Irons: Ping i230 4-PW, Dynamic Gold X-100

Wedges: Fourteen RM-4, 50, 54, 58

Putter: Sub70 AL5 Armlock

Ball: Titleist Prov1x Left Dash/Vice Pro Plus

I play a single 3h that gaps my 5w and 5i. For me it’s all about the forgiveness. I used to play a 4h instead of my 5i but my swing has improved a bit since then and I became more comfortable with the 5i. Plus I did not have a great punch out club when I was using the 4h. I sometimes end up with distances that are a little tricky without a 4 but what I loose there I pick up in versatility with the 5i. Never really have given driving irons a chance. Just never had the confidence that I was going to hit them well. 

Edited by ccostel18
  • PING G430 LST 10.5 driver
  • Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3w
  • PING G400 5w
  • Cobra Speedzone 3h
  • Srixon z585 irons 5-AW
  • Cleveland CBX2 52
  • Cleveland CBX 56
  • PING Heppler Anser 2 putter

I currently run a T200(Utility) 3 iron and I love it. It's my fairway finder and a great way for me to bridge my woods to my irons. I hit it much better than any hybrid I have owned. 

Driver:  :titleist-small:  TSi2 9*  :Fuji: Ventus Black 6S

Fairway: :titleist-small: TSi2 15*  :Fuji: Speeder Evo III 70S

Utility: :titleist-small: T-200 3 Iron  :Fuji: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Irons: :titleist-small: 620CB w/ :truetemper: DGTI X100 4-6

Irons:  :titleist-small: 620MB w/ :truetemper: DGTI X100 7-PW

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM9 50/08F 56/12S 60/04T

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2+ 34" 

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 #31 (Currently Ball Testing)

I tried a utility iron for a little bit and I had a hard time hitting it. I def like the look of it over a hybrid but I hit the hybrid so much better in almost all situations. In the end I have to go what works best for me.

On 7/27/2023 at 1:27 AM, Djnz said:

I know this comes down to personal preference a lot of the time, but I have decided to put a Titleist U505 3 Iron with a 80g Hazrdus RDX Smoke Shaft in the bag.

The main reason for this is have a club in the bag that I can rely on as a fairway finder.... 

If there is anyone out there that has used one of these or can recommend a better option, I am all ears 😃

I go back-and-forth among a few different options for filling the slot (or slots) between my Titleist TS2 4-wood (16.5*, adjusted to 15.75* loft) and my Paradym 5-iron (23* loft, 38" long and a real "bomber" for a 5-iron). I have had a Sub 70 939X 4-hybrid (21* loft, 39.25" long) for at least 3 years and it has gotten plenty of use over that time period.  I hit this 939X hybrid more than 200 yards - generally about 215  - and it is back in the bag. This leaves a yardage gap for me of at least 25-30 yards between that Sub 70 hybrid and the 4-wood, as I hit the 4-wood 230+ yards off the deck and more like 245 yards from the tee.

Among the options that I have tried in the slot between the 4-wood and that 4-hybrid are: 1.) Cleveland Launcher XL HALO "Hy-Wood" (18* loft), 2.) Callaway Paradym X 3-hybrid (also 18* loft), and a variety of Ping, Tour Edge Exotics, and Sub 70 hybrids with between 17* and 19* lofts. The Cleveland "Hy-Wood" is 41.5" long and it is far too draw-biased, as is the Callaway Paradym X 3-hybrid. Both of these clubs give me 5-wood like distance, meaning about 220-225 yards all day long, but far too many shots end up left of my targets.

I finally decided to try a "utility iron" and have played a Tour Edge Exotics C-722 Ti-Utility (19* loft, 39.25" playing length).  I'm a Tour Edge Fitter/Dealer, so I had one in my fitting bag as a demo club, making it easy for me to throw it in my bag.  In the handful of rounds that I have used this club, I found it essentially to be a "one trick pony" for me, giving me great results from off the tee on shorter tight par-4 holes, and the occasional 210 yard par-3 holes that I encounter. However, that's just about the same distance that I get with the Sub 70 939X 4-hybrid, and my accuracy with the Ti-Utility is maybe a slight bit better than with the 4-hybrid, but not by any significant margin. I can hit this Ti-Utility from level fairway lies, but it is pretty much useless from the rough, which gives the Sub 70 4-hybrid a significant advantage, because I can hit that club from a variety of lies in the rough, including some pretty sketchy situations.

Here's a link to the Exotics C722 Ti-Utility, which comes in lofts ranging from 17* to 25* (no adjustability on these clubs):  https://www.touredge.com/c722tiutility   If you are looking for a control club for use off the tee, I highly recommend these clubs, although I'm sure that there are several other options that will give similar (or maybe even better) results.  Obviously, that Ping iCrossover has gotten some stellar reviews, and there have been several similar crossover or utility/driving iron models that have been getting a decent amount of "buzz" over the last few years.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

I have both hybrid (19 loft) and driving iron (20 loft) at home.

What I decide to take with me heavily depend on how windy it is.  Driving iron for no to little windy days and hybrid for windier days.

• Driver (9):  Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus+, Tour AD-DI 7S
  • 3 Wood (15):  Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond, Fujikura Ventus Blue 7S
  • 3 Hybrid (19): TM Stealth 2 Rescue, Fujikura Ventus TR Red IH 7S
  • 3 Iron (20):  Callaway 2023 Great Big Bertha 4 iron, KBS PGI 80S 
  • Irons (4-PW):  Miura KM-700 (1 degree strong), Aerotech Steelfiber Private Reserve i95 S
  • Wedges:  50-10S & 56-10S - Callaway Jaws Raw:  60-08M - Vokey SM9
  • Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Squareback 2, BGT Stability Tour2 Polar shaft
  • Bag: Vessel Lux XV Cart
  • Balls: TM Tour Response Stripe, TM TP5, Callaway Chrome Soft X
  • Gloves: PXG, G/Fore
  • Shoes:  Ecco Biom H4, G/Fore Gallivanter

I am finding that a hybrid is more useful in a variety of conditions.  Tee, fairway, rough, fairway bunker, etc.  I find if you find the right one, you can also hit various trajectories.  The driving iron for me is for windy days when you can hit it low and get lots of roll out.  It hard to stick on fast greens from a long par 3 or getting high to land softly.  I just don’t have that skill set.

Loving my U510, but most rounds I am replacing it with my 101T 4 iron which is quite forgiving. It falls into the right distance gap for me.

:titelist-small:  TSR 3   9.0  GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:titelist-small: U-510 19 Utility Iron HZDUS Smoke Black 6.0 Stiff

:Takomo:  5-PW 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Scotty Special Select - Squareback 2 - 35”  / Super Stroke Slim 3.0

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Loyal MCC Plus 4 Sensor User

Used to play hybrids in my teenage years instead of 3 and 4 irons (hand-me-down set) and could barely hit them. I de facto considered that I was supposed to play this type of club because I was a beginner at the time. Once I upgraded my set and got to play long irons, I discovered that my swing simply did not suit hybrids. I now play a 2-iron UDI instead of a 5-wood between my 3-wood and 4-iron and I couldn't be happier.

I would like to experiment with a 5-wood and/or even a 7-wood as I like hitting my 3-wood off the tee, from the fariway and from the rough, but I have absolutely not interest in returning to playing hybrids for now.

D: Capturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.0ebce72d60b9ee4e1161e241fbbd9429.png Rogue ST Max LS 9° / Capturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.d0d357367dfa8603e4c4c28d6264026b.png Rogue White 130 MSI 70X

3W: Capturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.4a59074c9744cc7e092f2c36e18ab3de.png Sim Max 15° / Capturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.6803317b2b3571b718d8c629a4de5c56.png Ventus Blue FW 6S

3H: Capturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.6cb9c9932faadee028fda9a351832472.png TSi3 20° / True Temper Capturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.9a635b7848f15fd4613c0dfb4aad00e0.png Smoke Black RDX 6.0 80HYB

4i-PW: image.png.54cd730cdbf83f1301bb01ca97353cf9.png 01CB / Capturedcran2023-10-05111734.png.2d7f7e831dcd320c5c5d06d9d07a8556.png Tour 130X 2023 tester

52°-56°-60°: Capturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.4a59074c9744cc7e092f2c36e18ab3de.png Milled Grind 2 / True Temper Capturedcran2023-10-05111734.png.76d14504ff83a37b897afbd6c4a1f0e0.png S200

PCapturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.cf5a492ebe80529a929e3f89cb5060c7.png DFX 2-ball

Ball: Capturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.9ff2829469d46ce26b695253efbcd6a1.png Q-Star Tour & Z-Star and Capturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.4a59074c9744cc7e092f2c36e18ab3de.png TP5 & TP5x

Grips: D-3W: image.png.ec39cb9c1e60dc5987a37598700b82cc.png Z-Grip Cord / 3H-PW: Capturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.d618cbfa3b9983eb4bb68d740c266b8a.png Crossline 360 / Wedges: Capturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.d618cbfa3b9983eb4bb68d740c266b8a.png Genesis Crossline Cord

Bag: image.png.45e8d8c11fdf4042fc63eb6c5195276e.png Anyday Ronin 14 2024 tester

Stat tracking: image.png.d3672a19dde52cc71c030458c62e5421.png X5

I have been trying things out to try and figure out my most consistent setup. I currently have a 3 wood, 5 wood, 3 hybrid and 4 iron at the top end of the bag. In an ideal world, i would have a 3 iron driving iron which would be one of the options, and i would select the clubs between driver and 4 iron based on the course and weather, but as of now its those. 

I used to have a Gapr mid 3 driving iron hybrid in my last bag setup, but decided to get a 5 wood this time around to see if they had more versatility.  I picked up the Hybrid on a great sale, and if i see a good deal on a u500/u505 or a similar utility 3 iron, i may grab it to have that option. 

I think its all preference, but i would rather have a club that i use in the bag, vs a never used option, so for me at least, its just about figuring out which would actually be the most useful and helpful for my game.

Driver: Callaway Rouge St LS 9 degree, Ventus White X shaft 

3 Wood: Callaway Rouge St, Ventus White

5 Wood: Callaway Rouge St, Ventus White  

3 Hybrid: Callaway Rouge St Pro, Ventus White

Irons: 4-6: Titlist T-200 AMT White X, 7-PW T100s AMT White X

Wedges: Titlist SM7 50F, 54F, and 58D

Putter: Evnroll ER2B 33.5" with Gravity grip

Right handed, Fair Oaks, Ca 

12 handicap

I carried a 1 iron in my bag for half of my golfing life.  Since I moved back to Florida, the club is not effective out of the rough.  Also today, clubs are very strong lofts as compared to 30 years ago.  I can try to rip a 4 iron off the tee which is generally more accurate than any wood.  I do use the hybrid (3) as my fairway wood and it is definitely more useful out of the rough.

My biggest issue is that hybrids and many fairway woods look as though they have a hooked face to me.  I despise that look.

This is probably not a great help in your decision but, I added my two cents any way.  Good luck in your decision.

A former plus handicapper who must settle for mid 70s to mid 80 scores today.  After taking 10 years off due to back issues, my driver length has decreased by 40 yards on average.  I look forward to any training aids, shaft improvements, club enhancements to get back part of what was lost.

A long, long time ago I was in situation where a driver in my hand I would freeze over the ball. And when I did swing the would go everywhere but the fairway. So I went and got a 2 iron head, a standard true temper iron shaft and put it together with one change and that I cut it to a 3 iron specs since I was hitting my irons. It served me well,not long but back in the fairway. Fast forward, much older, swing much different,I hit my driver great and I have Dr,3W,3,4,5hybrid. I don’t use the 3wood much on the local courses. It’s there if the driver is gone awry. I also do have to consider replacing them as they were used when I got them and they have gotten a lot of use. When I do maybe a utility iron might replace one of them.

I rely al  lot on my 17* 816h hybrid (Titleist).  It has been around for a few years and love the Fujukura Motore Speeder shaft.  Will be 77 in a couple of weeks and I can rely on it's accuracy and distance.  I really like putting myself in position for my second shots to the green.    

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 19.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 5-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1 (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

On 7/27/2023 at 2:10 AM, Fongle said:

I think it definitely comes down to preference. I use a Cobra Utility 2i, and I absolutely love it. Can't stand the sight of a hybrid at address, and it gaps between my 3w and 4i, and works well in windy weather with it lofted down to 16°.

You'd have to claw it from my cold dead hands to take it away from me too, there's no better feeling than absolutely crushing a ball off a long iron, it feels like the world almost pauses for a moment before the ball just rockets off of the face.

I concur! Having played a hybrid for a while with fairly good results I bought a Mizuno MP-20 HMB 2i just for kicks. Turns out I love it. Granted it took a little practice but coming off the tee and striping it- feels so good and most of all, it’s straight! Whereas the hybrid dispersion was much greater. Perpetrating ball flight off the 2i also. Great in windy conditions. 

Titleist TSi3 driver, 9.5 Tensei AV Raw White Stiff

Titleist TSi2 3 wood Tensei AV Raw White Stiff

Mizuno 2018 CLK 3 hybrid

Mizuno MP-20 HMB 4-7 iron, MMC 8-PW

Mizuno T-20 50 deg gap wedge

Callaway Jaws 54 and 58 deg wedge

Odyssey Stroke Lab One putter