Lexi Thompson???

SteddyGolf

4 minutes ago, SteddyGolf said:

Negative.  My opinion is simply my opinion not based of other articles.  If you want to discuss my opinion I’m willing and able to do so.  

i

There are a lot of people who agree with the below that they shouldn’t be given status without qualifying like everyone else.  However there is nobody that I have seen that is claiming they should be other than you on your first post which you failed to mention was in response to some articles or podcasts claiming they should skip the line. You didn’t mention that til after several people disagree with your post. Then you decided to give some context behind where you are coming from. Then when asked to provide the information you were referencing hou dance around it claiming the below is your only opinion you want to debate.

So you either have no articles to back up the claim that people at suggesting or proposing the lpga players get status on pga tour because they are lpga tour member or you have and issue with what has been mentioned by some that the pga tour sponsors should look at having more lpga player members get exemptions to tour events which are given to all kinds of different golfers of varying abilities at every tournament and take away no spots from any male golfer whether pro, aspiring pro or local star. 

3 hours ago, SteddyGolf said:

so this is the argument statement, “ equal opportunity means equal access not equal outcomes.  Individual performance determines the outcome. LPGA players should be given access (I think they are) to the PGA Tour but only if the navigate the same gauntlet as do the men”.

8 hours ago, SteddyGolf said:

..... I was actually commenting on recent articles advocating for LPGA players to be given PGA Tour status based on their LPGA success.  

16 minutes ago, SteddyGolf said:

Negative.  My opinion is simply my opinion not based of other articles.  If you want to discuss my opinion I’m willing and able to do so.  

I thought you said you were commenting on recent articles?

Anyway...would giving the top lpga finishers an entry into certain pga events be any different than the top finishers in the korn ferry tour getting their season long card?

Edited by Shapotomous

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex; Callaway Mavrik 18* 5w;  Mizuno JPX 919 HM Pro 4i; :ping-small: G410 5 & 6 iron;  :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 7 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Feels like this is getting testy and it absolutely doesn't need to.  @SteddyGolf - I think (and I could 100% be wrong, but after reading everything this is my take-away) you're original referencing of articles that pointed to the idea that the LPGA was somehow a gateway into the PGA has thrown a kink into the conversation you didn't intend.  Regardless of whether or not those articles exist (and I'm not saying they don't, mind you, but for the sake of this thread, they haven't been provided), it feels like you're anti-sponsor's-exemptions, regardless of who they go to outside of the PGA.  Ultimately, that's just the way it is - sponsor's pay a crap-ton of money to have their name on the tourney, and for that money, they get a couple of "freebies" to pass out.  I think it would be HILARIOUS if they gave them to local guys who CLAIM to be scratch, just so we can all see how incredibly hard the pro set-ups are.  I also think it would be fun to invite a 10-handicapper to see if he can break 90 (or 100), but I'm guessing no one wants to watch that (other than me).  

Regardless of what I want to watch, or what you want to watch, though - it's the Sponsor who gets to invite whomever they want.  I personally was thrilled to see Lexi out there with The Boys, very much holding her own.  I genuinely don't think there's a leap to be made that "this is now going to happen all the time and watch all these LPGA players get into the Tour," because even if that somehow DID happen, they'd THEN be subject to the same rules as everyone else, and it's win or go home.  In which case, again, I'd LOVE to see some of them succeed! I'm not sure they would - just like there's no guarantee anyone of the 30-ish Korn Ferry tour guys who won their way onto the tour next year will have a card in 2025.  

I would genuinely love to read whatever article you did that intimated this might be more of a regular occurrence - if only because I'd be super curious to see how they're drawing their conclusions.  Also, I just respect the hell out of anyone who's NOT on the Tour coming out and playing with these insanely talented guys; whether female or male or celebrity or not.  And for what it's worth, I can pretty much guarantee you that any of the people who DO get an sponsor's exemption for that tourney are not thinking about the MONEY they'll earn from it, lol. I would imagine they're (in order of importance) 1) trying not to crap their pants on the first tee, and then 2) trying to play the best golf they can so that they don't look like a total idiot.  Making dolla-dolla-bills is a VERY distant 98th on their lists of priorities.  

And actually, come to think of it, I think you're on to something about highlighting people who deserve the Sponsor's exemption - I mean, as much as one can "deserve" something like that, anyway.  I'm not sure how you'd quantify it, especially when there are only a few for each tourney, but I think it would be a really cool thing to see some people who might not ever get a shot get a chance to play in a tourney like that. Club pros?  High School kids? Again, I'm not sure how you rank them, but I'd love to see if there's a way to shine a light on some other people who are deserving.  

But Lexi's definitely deserving.  At least in my book.

Driver - Callaway Ai Smoke Max - 9* - Draw setting; Maltby UL (Otto Phlex)
5/7 Wood - Takomo Ignis
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*) (currently benched)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*/DF3 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

32 minutes ago, Shapotomous said:

I thought you said you were commenting on recent articles?

Anyway...would giving the top lpga finishers an entry into certain pga events be any different than the top finishers in the korn ferry tour getting their season long card?

I think so but I do have to plead a little ignorance.  I’m going to assume the Koran Ferry Tour guys play on courses that are set up very similar to PGA Tour Events.  LPGA courses/events are shorter and have a more golfer friendly set up.  I’ve played on a course the week after it hosted a LPGA event and another course a week after it hosted a PGA Tour event.  The difference was night and day in respect to length, rough and green speed. 

Truth be told I would like to see how women would compete in a field that consisted of both men and women playing the same course from the same distance with the same set up.  However, Korn Ferry Tour players and LPGA players should have to compete against one another to earn a spot at a given event.  

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

4 minutes ago, GolfSpy SAM said:

Feels like this is getting testy and it absolutely doesn't need to.  @SteddyGolf - I think (and I could 100% be wrong, but after reading everything this is my take-away) you're original referencing of articles that pointed to the idea that the LPGA was somehow a gateway into the PGA has thrown a kink into the conversation you didn't intend.  Regardless of whether or not those articles exist (and I'm not saying they don't, mind you, but for the sake of this thread, they haven't been provided), it feels like you're anti-sponsor's-exemptions, regardless of who they go to outside of the PGA.  Ultimately, that's just the way it is - sponsor's pay a crap-ton of money to have their name on the tourney, and for that money, they get a couple of "freebies" to pass out.  I think it would be HILARIOUS if they gave them to local guys who CLAIM to be scratch, just so we can all see how incredibly hard the pro set-ups are.  I also think it would be fun to invite a 10-handicapper to see if he can break 90 (or 100), but I'm guessing no one wants to watch that (other than me).  

Regardless of what I want to watch, or what you want to watch, though - it's the Sponsor who gets to invite whomever they want.  I personally was thrilled to see Lexi out there with The Boys, very much holding her own.  I genuinely don't think there's a leap to be made that "this is now going to happen all the time and watch all these LPGA players get into the Tour," because even if that somehow DID happen, they'd THEN be subject to the same rules as everyone else, and it's win or go home.  In which case, again, I'd LOVE to see some of them succeed! I'm not sure they would - just like there's no guarantee anyone of the 30-ish Korn Ferry tour guys who won their way onto the tour next year will have a card in 2025.  

I would genuinely love to read whatever article you did that intimated this might be more of a regular occurrence - if only because I'd be super curious to see how they're drawing their conclusions.  Also, I just respect the hell out of anyone who's NOT on the Tour coming out and playing with these insanely talented guys; whether female or male or celebrity or not.  And for what it's worth, I can pretty much guarantee you that any of the people who DO get an sponsor's exemption for that tourney are not thinking about the MONEY they'll earn from it, lol. I would imagine they're (in order of importance) 1) trying not to crap their pants on the first tee, and then 2) trying to play the best golf they can so that they don't look like a total idiot.  Making dolla-dolla-bills is a VERY distant 98th on their lists of priorities.  

And actually, come to think of it, I think you're on to something about highlighting people who deserve the Sponsor's exemption - I mean, as much as one can "deserve" something like that, anyway.  I'm not sure how you'd quantify it, especially when there are only a few for each tourney, but I think it would be a really cool thing to see some people who might not ever get a shot get a chance to play in a tourney like that. Club pros?  High School kids? Again, I'm not sure how you rank them, but I'd love to see if there's a way to shine a light on some other people who are deserving.  

But Lexi's definitely deserving.  At least in my book.

Good points and you are definitely tracking my thought process. If I could figure out how to delete my original post I certainly would do so.  I didn’t mean for it to go sideways.  

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

I’ll also add that granting her an exemption was a really good thing as she visited with some of the Shriners kids, did a clinic and taught some lessons, so a lot of goodwill.  Hopefully some of the players donated some of their time as well.  And she competed, and competed well.  She’s a classy lady but so are many of the men, it just isn’t fashionable to the media to report the good things.  

A few years I did a tournament as a scorer and for the final round had Lincicom’s group. Usually there are quick introductions on the first tee, but Brittany walked up to me, introduced herself as did I, but then pulled up my name tag to read my name.  We were instructed to walk behind the group and toward the fairway fringe to stay out of the golf channel view, and a few times, she called out my name asking me to radio for a rules official.  The 2 other players were fairly young, and she really took charge to help them.  I walked with her dad toward the side and he was very nice. Several years ago she also was granted a sponsors exemption fir a pga event and also missed the cut. 

Edited by GaryF

:callaway-small: Driver: Fusion, 9 deg, UST Recoil 450 ES F3/2

:ping-small: 430 MAX 4w (5w head delofted 1* with 3w shaft), 7w, 5h w/ Alta CB Soft Regular shaft

:mizuno-small: JPX923 HM 6i - GW w/ UST Recoil 460 ESX F3

:cleveland-small: RTX6 52* and 56* with Recoil 760 ESX F2 

:odyssey-small: Versa DB DoubleWide 

:srixon-small:: Z-Star Tour

4 hours ago, SteddyGolf said:

I had to go back and read my original post.  I was not clear.  I was not referring to sponsor exemptions as much as I was referring to the possibility that the road to the PGA Tour for LPGA players might one day be solely based on their performance on the women’s tour.  With that being said I am not a fan of sponsor exemptions in general. There are a lot of players out there scratching and clawing to become a professional golfer often living out of the trunk of their car to do so.  Giving a multi-millionaire a sponsor exemption based on their celebrity status does not sit well with me.  Still that was not the reason for my original post but is what most respondents are focusing on.  

Yeah sponsors exceptions are a tricky topic. Thankfully there are different categories and I believe I mentioned this, but hers was never going to go to someone trying to make the tour. In essence it was a celebrity type only slot. 

Where others can "take away" opportunities this was not the case for hers. 

With listening to the NLU pod on it as well. Some good insight and references to what made is successful and why we could see this similarly at more events.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

23 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Yeah sponsors exceptions are a tricky topic. Thankfully there are different categories and I believe I mentioned this, but hers was never going to go to someone trying to make the tour. In essence it was a celebrity type only slot. 

Where others can "take away" opportunities this was not the case for hers. 

With listening to the NLU pod on it as well. Some good insight and references to what made is successful and why we could see this similarly at more events.

2-8 per event. The number depends on the event. 2 have to go to pga tour members not in the field, 2 have to go to kf tour members in the top 25 but not the leader. The rest are up to the sponsor to give out to celebrities, local stars, up and rushing stars see Spieth, morikawa, zalatoris, Koepka, hovland, Finau as examples of up and coming stars. These remaining ones are where the sponsors use them to get someone in who will draw eyes to the event. As has been mentioned these open exemptions aren’t taking anyone’s spot away from playing on the tour.

anyone upset two gloves Tommy Gainey had a sponsors exemption into the Shriners?

4 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

2-8 per event. The number depends on the event. 2 have to go to pga tour members not in the field, 2 have to go to kf tour members in the top 25 but not the leader. The rest are up to the sponsor to give out to celebrities, local stars, up and rushing stars see Spieth, morikawa, zalatoris, Koepka, hovland, Finau as examples of up and coming stars. These remaining ones are where the sponsors use them to get someone in who will draw eyes to the event. As has been mentioned these open exemptions aren’t taking anyone’s spot away from playing on the tour.

anyone upset two gloves Tommy Gainey had a sponsors exemption into the Shriners?

I was shocked to see old two gloves was still playing.

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

Lexi played great.  End of story. 

Would love to see 2 LPGA major winners play the Sentry Tournament of Champions in Kapalua, Maui, since there is no cut and only a limited number of PGA players get in anyway, so more competition would be fun to watch.  Course isn’t excessively long, but it can be windy.

just an idea.

:titelist-small:  TSR 3  9.0  Autoflex 405x - Official Tester 2024

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:ping-small: Utility 2 Iron 18.0 - Nippon NS Pro 650GH Stiff /  :titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:Takomo:  4 - 9 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 46 F - 10 BV105 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged (Japan) 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 - Nippon NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Champions Choice Newport 2+ Button Back - 35”  /  Pistolini Plus

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Current Club Sensor User

53 minutes ago, KC Golf said:

Would love to see 2 LPGA major winners play the Sentry Tournament of Champions in Kapalua, Maui, since there is no cut and only a limited number of PGA players get in anyway, so more competition would be fun to watch.  Course isn’t excessively long, but it can be windy.

just an idea.

There’s no sponsor exemptions at that event to my knowledge that would allow them to be entered into the field. The requirement is being a winner from the previous pga tour season. That would be giving them preferential treatment over members with status. 

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

There’s no sponsor exemptions at that event to my knowledge that would allow them to be entered into the field. The requirement is being a winner from the previous pga tour season. That would be giving them preferential treatment over members with status. 

It was more aspirational than a practical idea.  But if I was the PGA Tour, I would consider it.  I know during Covid they had no tournaments so I think they allowed more top 20 players.

Edited by KC Golf

:titelist-small:  TSR 3  9.0  Autoflex 405x - Official Tester 2024

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:ping-small: Utility 2 Iron 18.0 - Nippon NS Pro 650GH Stiff /  :titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:Takomo:  4 - 9 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 46 F - 10 BV105 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged (Japan) 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 - Nippon NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Champions Choice Newport 2+ Button Back - 35”  /  Pistolini Plus

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Current Club Sensor User

8 hours ago, KC Golf said:

just an idea.

I think it’s actually a genius idea. Even if it was just small number like the winners of the LPGA majors, showcasing the winners from both tours I think would sell well. It’s already a limited field so adding a few more would be fairly easy from a logistical perspective. And could go a long way to bringing more eyes on the LPGA Tour. 

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Velocore+ Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Pro X3+

Regardless of the Shriners, Lexi is Fuego. Unreal golfer, she was lights out at the Solheim Cup. She's the real deal, put more more women in the field than just one and we'll see different success psychologically 

I like golf. You should like golf. If life is tough, play more golf!

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-MJ 6x

Titleist TSr3 18 Degree, Graphite Design Tour Ad-DI 7x

Takomo 301CB's, KBS Tours 120S

Vokey SM8 48 10F, 52 08F, 56 08M, 60 08M

Odyssey O-Works Jailbird Mini, Versa Scheme, 17" Fatso 3.0 Grip, 40"

Jazz Tacoma Cart Bag

Titleist Pro V1x