Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Mickelson’s Complaint - Won’t Change Tour’s Phone Policy

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

U.S. PGA Tour Commissioner Tim Finchem said the world's top golf circuit is committed to its mobile-phone policy after Phil Mickelson and other players complained about excessive use during last week's Memorial Tournament in Ohio.

Mickelson left the Jack Nicklaus-hosted event following the first round after texting Finchem from the sixth fairway during play to complain about the lack of control of phone use by fans, said T.R. Reinman, a spokesman for the player, confirming an Associated Press report.

“It's in the past for Phil,” Reinman said in a telephone interview. He declined further comment and said Mickelson wouldn't address the issue any more. Mickelson had cited exhaustion in announcing his withdrawal. Finchem refused to say whether he spoke with Mickelson.

Rickie Fowler, who played with Mickelson and Masters Tournament champion Bubba Watson in the opening round at Memorial in Dublin, Ohio, said the mobile-phone use that day was the “worst I've seen.”

Finchem still said the tour has no plans to abandon its policy of allowing fans to bring phones into tournaments. Guidelines limit the use of phones to designated areas and prohibit photos or videos being taken during play. At the Memorial, fans weren't following the rules and marshals weren't actively policing the crowd, the commissioner said today.

“We're committed to making it work,” Finchem said in an interview while playing in a pro-am round at the Champions Tour's Tradition event in Birmingham, Alabama. “If we get to a point where we don't have an acceptable competitive environment, we'll do whatever we need to do, but I don't see that happening.”

FULL ARICLE: http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-06-06/mickelson-s-complaint-won-t-change-tour-s-on-course-phone-policy

#TruthDigest

I am having a hard time cracking jokes about generalization of a state and area. I am sort of reminded of 2002 at the US Open where the (sarcasm warning) great and polite fans treated Sergio Garcia wonderfully that was shown in highlights.

What I find ironic and funny is that Phil used a cell phone to text and complain about Cell Phone use, this is also not shocking from Phil trying to make a point I'm sure. Sort of like when he put a Ping Eye 2 wedge in the bag in early 2010 because the loop hole allowed them that caused a huge stir.

I'll just say that it is not a shock to me that "The worst I have seen it" came from an Ohio tournament.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

Archived