Testers Wanted: ExPutt! ×

Comparing DTC irons

edbmac

On 11/1/2023 at 8:01 PM, GolfSpy_BEN said:

We had members test the Caley’s and the Takomo’s this year. Here are links to the testing threads, for your information and perusal:

Good Luck with your search!

I believe they are the same clubs made at two locations because the looks and lines are too close for coincidence! Performance is spot on with both hltting their windows differently but similar results! You can’t fool us everyday or even the same time each 

DTC has been in my mind for a while now since the price of golf equipment has skyrocketed.  All the usual players are on the list (Takomo, Caley, etc.) but which one?  Throw Vice in the mix (they look great) and the decision becomes more difficult.  Now to find a way to hit them without all the waiting for shipping and the return hoopla.  I was fit into Titleist T200 a couple months ago - $1400 for the set is crazy - that extra $700ish could be 2 dozen rounds with dinner and a trip! 

I only have experience with Sub70 so I’ll just speak to their clubs. I bought my 699 pros about a year and a half ago now. I called their number for advice on my fitting and the owner was the one who picked up. He walked me through my options explained the pros and cans and so on. I was about to pull the trigger when he told me they had a pre owned set that was returned in the 30 day window that fit my specs perfectly for $300. Couldn’t say no to that and a week later they showed up. They were literally brand new, still had the wrapper on half of em. I have since ordered a driving iron from them and had a similar experience. The customer service is top there and they always add some free stuff like hats, ball markers, belts, etc. to the box. My brother also bought an iron set and loves them. Our playing partners are very impressed as well and all agree they will strongly consider sub70 when they are looking at new irons.  

Tester Opportunities

2024 Ping S159 Wedges

2023 Zebra AIT3 Putter

The Bag

Driver - :callaway-logo-1: Paradym Ai Smoke MAX Driver with Project X Denali - 6.5

3W - :callaway-logo-1: Paradym 15° with Kai'li™ White - X

3H - :PXG: Gen5 0311 19° with Ventus Blue Velocore - X

Driving Iron - image.png.e20decc564f669047d8ef7d2dbd4734d.png 699 Pro 20° with UST PROFORCE V2 Hybrid White/Yellow - X

Irons - :Sub70: 6-PW 699 Pro in black with Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges - :ping-small: S159 50, 54, 58 Dynamic Gold X100 (TESTER)

Putter - :cobra-small:KING 3D Printed Agera Armlock Putter , 🦓 Zebra AIT 3 (On time out)

Ball - :srixon-small: Z-Star XV or :vice: Pro Plus

Tester for 

2024 Ping S159 Wedges

2023 Zebra AIT3 Putter

I bought a new level 480db 7 iron demo club. 4-p is right around 1k.  I’m saving up to buy the rest of the irons.  I’m pretty impressed with them.  They also have the new 480tc and mc.

IMG_3618.jpeg

IMG_3617.jpeg

Edited by Owengeorge13

🙃

Takomo… end of story.

Currently employed at Riverwood National Golf Course, in Otsego, MN (USA)   RW Logo copy.png

WITB: 

Callaway Paradym 9 & 10.5 drivers, depending on conditions and my swing that day! (Accra Tour Z x255 M3)

Callaway Rogue 3 & 5 woods (stock Aldila Synergy shafts, Stiff)

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid (UST Mamiya Recoil Dart 75 HB, Regular)

Callaway Apex Pro 19 (True Temper Elevate Tour 115 Steel, Regular)

13 different putters in rotation!! 😆

Seed SD-05 (a 3-piece urethane cover, 80 compression ball)

Just now, RetiredBoomer said:

Looking at the websites, it appears than many of the major OEMs are selling DTC as well.

Yes,  but DTC is typically considered brands that are not available in golf shops and only available through the retailer themselves.   For example, Callaway can be bought through their site but also a store like PGA Tour Superstore so it isn't considered DTC.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Just now, cnosil said:

Yes,  but DTC is typically considered brands that are not available in golf shops and only available through the retailer themselves.   For example, Callaway can be bought through their site but also a store like PGA Tour Superstore so it isn't considered DTC.

I see. Thanks.

in flux

These look, by the photos, really similar to my Payne Stewart irons- oldies but my go to when my swing is off. 

I have no patience.  The ONE exception is golf; I have all the patience in the world when practicing or playing. 
picked up clubs about a year and a half ago - play or practice daily (even in the rain) 7 hcp  40-something 🙄

I’ve tried multiple sets of DTC irons, from multiple brands over the years (Sub70, Hogan, KZG, Maltby, Haywood, etc..) I play Edel irons now (SMS/SMS Pro Combo) and one could make an argument that they’re more DTC than an actual retail brand. I digress. 

Over the years, I’ve built my list of favorite irons based on feel, performance, and myriad other factors. What I will say is that from a feel perspective, the Sub70 639MB was an incredible iron. Currently sits 3rd on my list for all time feel, and that list has names like Edel, Mizuno, Epon, Miura, Fourteen and Itobori on it.  Jason and those dudes over there at Sub70 make a very, very good iron. And for me, perhaps the best all around DTC iron company is indeed Sub70. 

I would put Maltby and Haywood tied 2, and on from there. The newer line of maltby irons TS1 - TS4 and the TS1-im are all really, really good. But, tend to have a larger profile that some players are put off by. And of course, Haywood makes fantastic stuff and all these brands can compete with the big boys if you actually give them a look. 

In the bag:

Driver: Titleist TS3 - Mitsubishi Tensei Orange Pro 7x

Fairways/Hybrids: Sub70 939x 3H & 4H w/ Pro Force V2 X 

Irons: Sub70 639 CB 4i-6i, 639 MB 7i-PW - Modus Tour 120S

Wedges: Sub70 Wedges - 52*, 56* 60*

Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour Black - 34.5" 3* flat

The “iron-wedge” portfolio of my bag is all DTC: 6i, 7i - Edel SMS forged; 8i thru PW - Maltby TS-1 forged irons; 50-54-58 wedges - INDI FLX-S.  I love them and ain’t they purdy: IMG_8126.jpeg.7475e44a115fcf76916b452251cd6039.jpeg

IMG_8118.jpeg.c38884ae7d943f51505dcb61b2e43122.jpeg

IMG_8120.jpeg.f1e50580560fe047b4bb80fa7cca9c12.jpeg

WITB?:ping-small:  G400 SFT w/Aldila NXT GEN NVS 55 Aflex ; :ping-small: G410 3w; :ping-small: G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26) - stock Ping Alta CB R-Flex; :edel-golf-1:SMS 6i, 7i - KBS TourLIte 95 R-Flex; Maltby TS1 8i-9i-PW w/Apollo Acculite 85 R flex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -R-Flex and :odyssey-small: AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

I bought my first DTC club the other day. It's in process. I went with Sub 70 for a utility iron since it is soooo highly regarded and reviewed by MGS as well as other sites and YT channels. I will say my interaction with the company was absolutely top notch answering my questions and getting me what should be the most optimal configuration for what I am looking for. I am incredibly impressed up to this point and cannot wait to give the club a whirl. I also have a buddy who bought some of their wedges and said the same thing, excellent experi3ncr and interaction with the company and said they perform incredibly. He's just about a scratch golfer and said they are SOLID. I'd recommend 100% thus far having a real conversation with a real person and real rep from Sub 70. 

I wonder what it's like to throw darts...

I place an order for my first Sub 70 iron yesterday (Saturday) and sent a note about desired swing weight for the club. Didn’t expect a reply until Monday (normal business day). Surprise! Got an email this morning (Sunday) with their response. 
Customer service starting off top notch. 

Switch hitter, RH Driver, LH Irons

12 minutes ago, Wolfstrum said:

I place an order for my first Sub 70 iron yesterday (Saturday) and sent a note about desired swing weight for the club. Didn’t expect a reply until Monday (normal business day). Surprise! Got an email this morning (Sunday) with their response. 
Customer service starting off top notch. 

I chatted with someone yesterday and placed my order... same with you was expecting Monday at the soonest. Incredibly exceptional CS at Sub 70.

I wonder what it's like to throw darts...

I’ll put in another shout out for New Level.  I have a combo of the (no longer made) PF-2 and the 902 and they feel great. It’s been a while since I’ve tried something else in the same category to know whether it’s time to change, but I’m still hitting them well now.

Before buying them I spoke with the owner to make sure I was picking everything out right and he was super helpful.  They adjusted lie, length, and swing weight and got them out the door pretty quickly.  They were put together flawlessly as well.

No complaints. They were definitely worth the price at least  

:ping-small: g430 lst

:titleist-small: TS2 20* hybrid, New Level PF-2: P-7; 902: 6-5

:taylormade-small: hi-toe 51* and 57*

:mizuno-small: M Craft IV