Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

TaylorMade TP5/TP5X Golf Balls! - 2024 Forum Review

Message added by MGS-Forum-Mod,

3 hours ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

Thanks everyone. Excited to test these. I did try a sleeve last year and was pleasantly surprised by how they performed.

Whole new animal this year

#GoBallsOutAlways #GoRickieGo

Driver:      :Sub70:849 Pro-:projectx:HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 70 6.0-NO1 50 Series Grip
Fairway:   :Sub70:949X-:projectx:HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 70 6.0 (1/2 inch short)-NO1 50 Series Grip
Driving Irons:     :Sub70:699 Pro 2-:truetemper: DG S400- NO1 50 Series Grips

Irons:     Custom:Sub70: 639 CB 5-Pw :truetemper: DG S400- NO1 50 Series Grips   
Wedges:   WedgeFx 52,56,60-:truetemper: DG S400Shafts-NO1 50 Series Grips 
Putter:      :Sub70: Sycamore 007-NO1 P90 Pistol Grip
Ball:           :odin:X1

Bag:     Side Street- Back9 Backpack Bag

Link to my Bag Boy ZTF Review!

17 hours ago, MissionMan said:

Hi Everyone

I'm one of the lucky testers of the TP5. Some background on me:

I’m a 50-year-old golfer on Phillip Island, a small island off the coast of Australia. Don't know where that is? It's the location for one of the MotoGP's, a beautiful island teaming with wildlife on the course. Got back into golf after a long break (20+ years) about 18 months ago. I have a full time job, run my own consulting company, but this also provides some flexibility on work hours so I can get out to golf and work in the evenings.

DSC076311.jpg.7c4a66f32c37860037083799015b5db9.jpg

From a hobby/sports perspective, I play golf (obviously), do kitesurfing/surfing and enjoy watersports photography, mainly surfing/kitesurfing where I get into the water with waterhousing.

Aside from hobbies, I also volunteer for the Emergency Services. Outside of major cities in Australia, fire fighters and emergency services are volunteer based, so we are trained up on chainsaws, storm repair and jaws of life to cut people out of vehicles in car accidents. This is me with my two daughters doing fundraising for the Good Friday appeal, an annual fundraiser for the children's hospital. Thankfully they got their mum's looks. 

341015261_532226059097884_2430598365486862349_n.jpg.7ebb0aaba657533f8fc47f307b8862ba.jpg

My gear

Mostly Titleist gear currently, with the exception of my putter which is a LAB broomstick. The reason my irons are Titleist is that I live about 2 hours from a major city and my local Pro shop only has Titleist fittings so I'm not explicitly tied to using Titleist. I’m currently using Srixon Z star divide balls, which I like due to the split line on the ball, the soft feel and it also performs similarly to a ProV1.

DSC01570.jpg.e26977821923f06d39ae9204634c0f1b.jpg

My golf

I’m currently at a 9 handicap. I tend to be a high spin, high hitting player. My coach has been pushing me away from low spin balls like the TP5X or AVX as he indicated I need to learn to control spin better through club selection.  This was also due to the limitations low spin balls impose on greenside chipping. I'm slowly getting to grips with this approach.

I’m a mid-distance striker, driver swing speed of about 100-105mph. 7 Iron is around 80-83mph. I can swing harder, but I tend to focus on control over distance. I’m generally quite a straight hitter with a small draw bias. I do get an occasional snap hook, but it’s not a regular occurrence. My bunker player is average, mainly due to the poor quality of our bunkers which is climate related. I get onto the green but don’t get up and down as much as I would like. Chipping is good. Up and down about 70-80 % of the time. 

Some notes on my local course/s

I have two courses I'll be testing this ball at.

My main course is Philip Island Golf Course, a holiday destination course. Midweeks tend to be quieter, and the course allows us to play multiple balls. I also have a 4 hole loop I can use for days where I have 30 minutes to free which will work well for testing. The 4 hole loop is a 10th par 3 (175 yards), 16th par 4 (400 yards), 17th par 3 (180 yards uphill), 18th par 5 (497 yards) loop. In a good round, I’d expect to go par birdie par birdie for those four. The 18th allows for a good drive to cut the corner and occasionally I'll find myself with around 180 yards to the green for my second.

IMG_1685.jpg.f4af734c8ae2703bef74323f59852ece.jpg

Fairways on our course are soft so we don’t tend to get much run at all. You hit short of the green, you stay short of the green. Greens are also soft and very receptive to spin. The greenkeepers here tend to leave them a little longer due to holidaymakers who destroy the course. I have spun the ball back over 10 yards, hitting full wedges, hence the mention of controlling spin.

This is an example of some spin I've previously had with a wedge on the 18th.

We also have a par 3 course called the Aussie Golf Ranch, which is a par 3 course along with a short pitch and putt. Traditionally it wasn't the greatest course, but I joined because their short game facilities are better than our public course. I won't be headed here too often, primarily because it's a little brutal for ball losses and I'd like to test the balls out before I lose them. Anything off the green here could go missing without warning although they are working on the course to improve it. I may do some spin videos because it may be a little quieter for mounting a camera.

Wildlife on our courses is fairly commonplace, including snakes and wallabies. We don't have any of the dangerous snakes found on the mainland of Australia, although copperheads are still poisonous. Wallabies are really small equivalents of Kangaroos, and don't tend to try attack you.

IMG_9475.jpg.05692e8b800c096ab6005ff36e590466.jpg

What I'll be testing

I'll be testing the TP5 ball. I like drawing lines on my ball for alignment as I find the small line provided on most balls doesn't work for me. 

Tests

I’ll be testing the TP5 against a host of other balls that I have including Srixon Z star, Pro V1, AVX, Callaway Chromesoft X (I won a dozen of the 2024 Chromesoft in a Ambrose comp recently). I tend to play 2-3 times a week. Saturday comp and then two sets of nine holes through the rest of the week along with some chipping and putting practice when I have a gap. I'll be hoping to test the balls in my usual rounds of golf, along with doing some durability tests to see how they compare to other balls over 100 shots, or 10 bunker shots which tend to show wearon the balls. I'll also be using my Skytrak+ for some performance comparisons.

Beautiful place to live, visited often when lived in Melbourne, say hello to the penguins. Good luck with the test

:tour-edge: C721 9.5 Project X Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX
:tour-edge: C721 15 Project X Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX
:tour-edge: C721 18 Project X Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX
:tour-edge:EXS220 22 Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black
:tour-edge: EXS Pro Forged 5-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50/SS Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105 X Stiff (8i shaft)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54/SS Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105 X Stiff (8i shaft)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 58/SS Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105 X Stiff (8i shaft)
:mizuno-small: M-Craft VI with BGT Stability shaft and Super Stroke Zenergy XL Flatso 2.0 (25g CounterCore weight)
seed.png.34e6908c56b2f4a28f3511fa62a86f0d.png SD-01 ball 

MGS Galway Bay Rain Gear Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60769-galway-bay-rain-gear-2023-forum-review/

MGS Star Grip Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63328-star-grips-2024-forum-review/

Looking forward to seeing the testing of these. I'm impressed with Callaway, and would love another option.

When my wife asked if I wanted to leave Maine and move to where she grew up, I couldn't say no to Pinehurst, NC. I honestly don't spend much money on golf equipment, but I'm constantly reading reviews in case I ever get ready to buy

I swing left handed and have been the State of Maine Left Hander's champion since 1997, the last year they held the tournament. I'm currently a 7.1 handicap. Trying to get lower, but my gut gets in the way.

WITB

Driver: image.png.2a9745c9eca1e1dcd4c3ecfd5b2823e3.png Epic speed 9 degree

Irons: :titelist-small: 990's S300 Stiff shafts bought when I was in college. (Received a personal use discount, otherwise would've stuck with my Hogan Edge's)

3 Wood: :callaway-small:  Epic speed 15 degree or image.png.188f225bd9daa89b3976cdaa079d23d0.png PT15

52/56/60 :taylormade-small: Z Spin wedges (heck of a deal $100 for all 3 at Dick's in 2013)

Putter: :odyssey-small: OG Rossie

image.png

Congrats to all the testers!

Driver: Taylormade Qi10 Max (Mitsubishi C6 Blue 60S 2022) chosen as one of the lucky testers of the Autoflex Dream 7 shaft!!!

Hybrids: Taylomade Qi10 3 & 4 Rescue (Ventus TR  HB Blue 6R)

Irons: Taylormade Qi 5-PW (Ventus TR Blue 6R)

Wedges: Cleveland RTx 4 52/56/60 Wedges (True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Tour )

Putter: Cleveland Frontline 10.0

New Gamer Ball: Taylormade 2024  TP5x 

Congrats testers!  Looking forward to your review!

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

• GolfSpy_APH changed the title to TaylorMade TP5/TP5X Golf Balls! - 2024 Forum Review

Congrats testers. As I gamed TP5 and TP5X most of last year, I'll be paying attention to what you folks conclude.

As someone with a pretty fast swing that suffers from excess spin with drivers, the TP5 is a good fit most of the time. I tested the Callaway Chrome Tour and Tour X and the potential and need to test the new TP5 is the only thing currently standing between the Chrome Tour and my credit card.lol

Edited by Indy_Oz

2024 WITB:

:ping-small: G430 LST 9* (set at 10*) w. Mitsubishi Kai'Li White 60X

:titleist-small:TSR2 15* w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X

:taylormade-small:Stealth+ 3H (@18.5* flat) w. :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 80/6.5

:callaway-small:Rogue ST Max 21* 7-wood w. Mitsubishi Tensei Blue stiff/ or/ :taylormade-small:Stealth2+ 4H (@22* flat) w.Mitsubishi Kai'Li White 80X

:taylormade-small:Irons: 5i-9i: '19 P790; P- '23 P7MC w. :kbs: Tour C-Taper Lite 115X

:taylormade-small:Wedges 50/09 MG3; 56/12 MG3TW; 60/11 MG2TW

Putter- :odyssey-small: Toulon Design Memphis, 2019 model [Backup: Sik DW C 2.0]

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x/ TP5xPix -or- :callaway-small: Chrome Tour [see ball test link below] (also testing :bridgestone-small: Tour BX Mindset)

Other: :Arccos:. Gogogo Sport V-Pro rangefinder. :taylormade-small: Select Plus stand bag. :BagBoy: Nitron push cart.

16 hours ago, Indy_Oz said:

Congrats testers. As I gamed TP5 and TP5X most of last year, I'll be paying attention to what you folks conclude.

As someone with a pretty fast swing that suffers from excess spin with drivers, the TP5 is a good fit most of the time. I tested the Callaway Chrome Tour and Tour X and the potential and need to test the new TP5 is the only thing currently standing between the Chrome Tour and my credit card.lol

I am lucky to be a tester and I have the same issue. I have always played Prov1 to help knock down my spin and launch. I do miss some greenside spin however. I have been playing a box of chrome tours and like them a lot. They are the closest direct comp I've found to the Prov1 ever.

I'm very excited to get my TP5s and see how they slot in! I haven't disliked previous iterations of the tp5 and they were probably my 2nd choice to Prov1s in the past.  So if they've made improvements this could be the year they overtake them for my game.  Hopefully my findings in this test will help inform your decisions!

1. QI10 9* degree
  2. TSR 2+ 3 wood
  3. Stealth+ hybrid
  4. Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW
  5. Vokey SM8 wedges 50*, 54*, 59*
  6. Spider FCG

13 minutes ago, ronnieg said:

I am lucky to be a tester and I have the same issue. I have always played Prov1 to help knock down my spin and launch. I do miss some greenside spin however. I have been playing a box of chrome tours and like them a lot. They are the closest direct comp I've found to the Prov1 ever.

I'm very excited to get my TP5s and see how they slot in! I haven't disliked previous iterations of the tp5 and they were probably my 2nd choice to Prov1s in the past.  So if they've made improvements this could be the year they overtake them for my game.  Hopefully my findings in this test will help inform your decisions!

I feel just as lucky to be testing these. However, I had the opposite problem the last year or so with spin. I couldn’t get enough to hold any greens reliably with my irons and wedges from out side 80is yards. Hoping the TP5 increases spin helps me until I figure that nonsense out lol

I’ve got a bad reeling about this

On 3/17/2024 at 12:56 PM, Wib081 said:

I feel just as lucky to be testing these. However, I had the opposite problem the last year or so with spin. I couldn’t get enough to hold any greens reliably with my irons and wedges from out side 80is yards. Hoping the TP5 increases spin helps me until I figure that nonsense out lol

Yeah that's what I like about the TP5. Great short game spin and feel. If they can keep that and cut back on the driver spin then it'll be a great ball for a lot of different players. The 5x is definitely the lower spinning ball overall. I'm just hoping the tp5 can have a good balance

1. QI10 9* degree
  2. TSR 2+ 3 wood
  3. Stealth+ hybrid
  4. Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW
  5. Vokey SM8 wedges 50*, 54*, 59*
  6. Spider FCG

54 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

We will be going through and announcing a new tester for these golf balls to replace a tester who can no longer take part. Stay tuned!

🤔 ...nah...LOL...it was snowing here this morning...50 tomorrow with 20 mph winds...good luck to the selected one

Greg O'Connor

I still have a chance. 🙂

San Diego, CA

PXG 0311 Gen5 Driver
missing 3w (seeking sponsor) 😉
Cobra BafflerXL 5w
Ping G430 Irons 4-GW
Titleist SM9 Wedges 54, 58°
Odyssey Tri-Hot Triple wide Putter
Cobra Ultralight Pro Stand Bag

17 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

We will be going through and announcing a new tester for these golf balls to replace a tester who can no longer take part. Stay tuned!

Hopefully that person is ok !  Great job staff for keeping the opportunities coming! Good luck to all

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

While I'm not a official tester I happened to try these out last Friday during a round. I happened to get a coupon for a free box of 4 of them a couple weeks ago from Golf Galaxy. I did the Taylormade online ball fitting and it fit me into the Tp5X. I will tell you that so far these balls fly long!!! I had my longest drive with them on Friday ending up at 305 yards driving the green on a par 4. I hit the drive to the right over the trees but still managed to par the hole. 

I can definitely feel like the balls are certainly harder/firmer then the Callaway Chrome soft that I have been playing recently. They also seem to grass stain fairly easily. I will post up a pick of the 2 balls I used so far over 2 rounds when i get a chance.Screenshot_20240319_093315_GarminGolf.jpg.89bdb2710d39055de849ebf44b885836.jpg

Edited by Bad Golfer

Mixed bag of goodies: Taylormade M2 driver, Titleist F15 3 wood, Nike 5 wood, Mizuno 923 Hmp irons, Cleveland zipcore wedges and Odyssey 3 ball putter.

So I have been dinking around with some of the 2021 TP5x pix and forgot how much fun it is to hit a perfect putt! But I can’t wait to put the new ones to the test! I may have got myself a Bakers Dozen of the TP5x pix doughnut balls to play with too! 😉 🍩 😜 image.gif.23df16977a7fdd850de4ca08202d17d3.gif

Driver:      :Sub70:849 Pro-:projectx:HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 70 6.0-NO1 50 Series Grip
Fairway:   :Sub70:949X-:projectx:HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 70 6.0 (1/2 inch short)-NO1 50 Series Grip

On 3/5/2024 at 3:20 AM, Wib081 said:

Hello From Ohio

Introducing myself to all of you Spy's, hi I'm Ian and you can probably guess from the title where I live. I have been given many nicknames and the 2 that have stuck the longest are WIB and Beandip. Any and all work for me so you all can chose whichever you like best! 

Where in Ohio do you play out of? I'm Cleveland west, and there's a few Akron/Canton guys, and we'll meet up with a few Columbus guys. If you're in any of those areas, let me know and I'll be sure to include you when we plan meet ups.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Not going to stop me !

IMG_7228.png

I’m being told by the Gods that tomorrow is the day for new balls! 

IMG_7280.png

Really eager to hear what you guys think of these balls. I played my free samples a couple weeks and was impressed with driver distance and green side spin. So much so I picked up a couple dozen to keep testing them out. 

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

On 3/5/2024 at 3:20 AM, Emag315 said:

my name is Thomas Erik Bell. I am 54 years young and plays 75% of my golf in Atlanta, Ga and I travel to Florida and Las Vegas at least once per year for the remaining 25%.  I don’t have a USGA handicap but my 18 hole avg ranges from 88-102 depending on what group of friends I am playing with.  I have a party group and a gambling group. My weakness is off the tee(only 2-3 fairways hit per round). My strength is greenside bunkers and that’s why my friends call me Trap King

IMG_2414.jpeg

I plan on getting out Saturday. I am bringing one sleeve of each and that is all for my round.  A true amateur test. 

IMG_9697.jpeg

Safest place on a course is on the green!

On 3/5/2024 at 2:20 AM, OdinSnipes414 said:

What’s up spy’s!

For those that don’t know me my name is Alex, but Odin works just fine!  I’m from the Bipolar weather state of Wisconsin and I’m totally addicted to golf here!IMG_1930.jpeg.cc3ecd5e0c450370fb83fa8515228fff.jpeg

I have been golfing on and off since I was 2! The love for the game came from watching a guy named Tiger woods play golf on TV with my father. I love things local so the fact he made his rookie start here at the local Brown Deer golf course up the road from me made it more special!

IMG_1889.jpeg.2ff49bc43eb241b4e942bd421db3389e.jpegIMG_6663.jpeg.6ec613f6b45558a5cee6c143145873f9.jpeg

For a long time I was a woods warrior, foraging any ball I could find in the trees! That was my local pro shop and cheep cheep prices lol! Then I found out some of my favorite players played TaylorMade - Tiger, Rickie, Fleet daddy, The Canadian bomb shell Brook, US gold medalist Nelly Korda, and Morikawa the newest favorite on my list! So I played TaylorMade for 7 years and then Odin walked in my life and charmed me!IMG_2201.jpeg.077637af18a9a866f5da1d2f110c753d.jpeg

Dont get me wrong I still have TaylorMade in the bag along side my X1s! Can’t wait to test these out so I can continue pretending to be like my Idols!

Claims to mythbust!

I chose to test the TP5x Pix for a few reasons! I like the look ORANGE for Rickie and I love the alignment set up for putts! More to come as the days roll on……

IMG_7056.png.d8b953bd0ff13ef83790739d9985acdb.pngIMG_7057.png.ba603b91129a385dfef7c7a4e7f9ddb5.pngIMG_7058.png.b795671df3df3694dc1ee057ae327a89.png

The time is here! I hope to sneak out and hit at least nine holes today ( shhhh the course is closed) or I’ll go hit the practice range near the  clubhouse!   

I can tell you now the New pix clear path is definitely  better with the two orange marks in a  diamond rather than a triangle!

IMG_7284.jpeg.9e18394d8d5683e3beffc00e61a1d655.jpegIMG_6979.jpeg.f76c1185045cc0437225e6ddb13bb9ad.jpeg 

image.jpg

Edited by OdinSnipes414

On 3/28/2024 at 3:26 PM, OdinSnipes414 said:

The time is here! I hope to sneak out and hit at least nine holes today ( shhhh the course is closed) or I’ll go hit the practice range near the  clubhouse!   

I can tell you now the New pix clear path is definitely  better with the two orange marks in a  diamond rather than a triangle!

IMG_7284.jpeg.9e18394d8d5683e3beffc00e61a1d655.jpegIMG_6979.jpeg.f76c1185045cc0437225e6ddb13bb9ad.jpeg 

image.jpg

The new Pix pattern/design is definitely a cleaner look. I found the older models not as effective for alignment and there was just a lot going on.

Love how TM comes out with different Pix designs throughout the year. Have some Hawaiian Shaka ones I'm waiting to break out later in the year.

Driver: PXG Black Ops, Ventus Blue 6X 

Fairways: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 3 and 5 wood, Project X Riptide CB 6.0

Hybrid: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 22 degree, Project X Riptide 6.0

Irons: PXG 0311P Gen 5 5-PW, Project X LS 6.5

Wedges: PXG SG2 50, 56(55), Modus 125 Wedge; PXG SG 2 60, KBS 130 Wedge  

Putter: TaylorMade Spider GT Red SB

Ball: Maxfli Tour S

MGS Star Grip Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63328-star-grips-2024-forum-review/

On 3/5/2024 at 3:20 AM, Wib081 said:

Hello From Ohio

Introducing myself to all of you Spy's, hi I'm Ian and you can probably guess from the title where I live. I have been given many nicknames and the 2 that have stuck the longest are WIB and Beandip. Any and all work for me so you all can chose whichever you like best! 

IMG_6657.jpeg.32884643c96f0610458556d897bbbe8d.jpeg

I started playing the game when I was 12 at Rolling Greens on my birthday and was hooked. The course was 3/4 of a mile from the house garage to range mats! Sadly it is now a housing development but the memories I have of that course are comforting. I still have the TM <Tour Preferred> 5 Wood that was in the bag back then!

s-l1200.jpeg.338b47fead1a003246663b7b12abd08c.jpeg

These days I'm trying to get down below a 10 handicap I try to play at least twice a week in season. 1 weekday round and at then at least 1 weekend round with the best playing partners ever!IMG_3073.jpeg.289a7bc925d51620ca9af454710a8007.jpeg

Testing Goals

I have mainly played Titleist lines for the last 20 years. I enjoyed the NXT Tour and Pro-V1 lines, and for a brief blip the DT So-Lo. Recently I have been gaming a Kirkland Signature based upon value and the quality/durability has seemed to be worth the cost. 

IMG_6660.jpeg.9718fde1f1ab894ae52f9f03712e2851.jpeg

I am planning on running the TP5 Pix through its paces next to both of these ball lineups. Distance, stopping, green side control all the standard ideas. However, my father in law has a stock pile of older TM balls so I want to also run the TP5 next to some of those to see how far the TM line has come. 

The Pix ball has fascinated me since I saw it on a shelf when TM debuted it. I really like the idea of extra alignment assistance, but the 2 grey and black aid marks on the poles of the ball have me pretty intrigued. I have on occasion had issue focusing on one spot on the ball. This aid off the tee I'm hoping will help keep me focus and help in FIR's. I'm aware of the 5 layer progressive speed construction and I like this idea. Combine that with more spin help and a soft feel, sign me up. 

IMG_6659.jpeg.853be0d73776b02566ec2ba779679ed0.jpeg

The things I'm really looking for in the ball are durability and alignment aid assistance. If the ball is equivalent to the Pro-V1 and Kirkland in durability and feel the tie breaker is how well the Pix system helps me to focus on the ball on all shots across the course. If that helps me play even 3-5 strokes better I'm willing to put the TP5 in the bag for the long haul!

Well back from Florida late last night and this morning the doorbell rings and what did I find? These babies of course! IMG_6777.jpeg.f1bf7779360e2e83780e30a221ff795b.jpegIMG_6776.jpeg.ada96406329d458067ebe3f06da127e6.jpeg

Plan on getting out to the course this week for full course testing but definitely putting and chipping green tomorrow!

I’ve got a bad reeling about this

Congrats testers!!  I just put the new TP5 up against the Pro V1x and Chrome Tour X and the TP5 is my gamer for 2024.  Such a great ball and I'm curious to see what you guys think!

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

On 3/19/2024 at 9:38 AM, Bad Golfer said:

While I'm not a official tester I happened to try these out last Friday during a round. I happened to get a coupon for a free box of 4 of them a couple weeks ago from Golf Galaxy. I did the Taylormade online ball fitting and it fit me into the Tp5X. I will tell you that so far these balls fly long!!! I had my longest drive with them on Friday ending up at 305 yards driving the green on a par 4. I hit the drive to the right over the trees but still managed to par the hole. 

I can definitely feel like the balls are certainly harder/firmer then the Callaway Chrome soft that I have been playing recently. They also seem to grass stain fairly easily. I will post up a pick of the 2 balls I used so far over 2 rounds when i get a chance.Screenshot_20240319_093315_GarminGolf.jpg.89bdb2710d39055de849ebf44b885836.jpg

thanks for posting, looking forward to seeing how else it goes for you. I can always use a little more distance. 

Callaway Rogue ST max driver (Tour Ad IZ-6)

Cobra LTD-X 3 and 5 wood (Tour AD UB-6)

PXG 0317 X Hybrid (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue)

PXG Gen 6 P 5-G irons (Mitsubishi MMT)

PXG 0311 Forged wedges (Mitsubishi MMT)

Ping Tein 4 putter

blessed beyond measure.