Golf Trip Preparation - Scotland Pilgrimage

Planning a trip to St Andrews for my son and I in spring 2025.  And I'm curious what others are or have done to prepare for a multi-day, multi round golf trip. 

Travel and course planning is under control.  We're planning to play 1 course per day since I'm getting more experienced (59 years old).  But that could change based on how we feel and time.  Son is 25 so I'm just trying to keep up LOL.  We have done several domestic golf trips so this won't be our first golf trip.  Just first international trip.

What are people doing for physical conditioning and planning in preparation of a busy trip, especially international?  

We live in the northeast so our playing time pre-trip will be limited to a few rounds outside as courses open after the winter.  So more indoor simulator time than actual playing time.  Planning to continue my off-season conditioning, weights, yoga, aerobic, mostly focused on legs and core.  And walking, lots of walking.  Good rain gear, multiple pairs of shoes, and planning for cold and windy conditions.  We're on the fence over driving ourselves or arranging transfers.   

This is likely a once in a lifetime trip, so we want to do this right.  We've visited St Andrews but only for a short time.  Not enough time to play any golf.  This trip is to go inside the fence to play, make some new memories and make our pilgrimage to the home of golf.  

St Andrews 18.jpg

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FW: 3HL Callaway Paradym

FW: 5 Callaway Mavrik

Hybird: Rogue ST 5

Irons: Paradym X 6-AW, UST Dart 75g

Wedges: Vokey TM9, 52F, 58S

Putter: Odessey OG 

Callaway Chromesoft or Titleist Tour Speed

This sounds awesome. I was fortunate enough to do this just last year and I can tell you the experience I had and what I did. 

As far as conditioning goes, I think you’re on track. I did a bit of jump roping nightly to keep the legs going but at your age not sure if that’s an option for you. I would also recommend making sure you have good insoles in your shoes. The one thing that really surprised me is how firm their turf actually is compared to ours (I am also from the northeast). 

the rain gear is good, I was lucky enough to barely get any rain while I was there. Make sure you have some proper layers though. I had some warmer quarter zips and layered those with a rain jacket or wind breaker on the outermost layer with no issues. Also wearing the rain pants just to break the wind helps keep you warm as well. 

We stayed in a small B&B about 300yds from the old course so we were able to walk all around the town. I had a good pair of spikeless golf shoes which I was able to wear everywhere I went without having to worry about putting sneakers back on so that’s something to think about. If you plan on playing more, St. Andrews does a 3 day or 5 day golf ticket where you can play unlimited golf on those days (which don’t have to be consecutive). We did this and it ended up being a rather inexpensive way to play all the courses (other than the old course which costs are separate). If you don’t mind it a little chilly, playing first thing in the morning worked well for us as he Scottish do not seem to be early risers. 

If you want any more details about the trip we did or experiences we had feel free to message and I’ll happily help you out. 

Tom C

Unfortunately, luggage can be lost or delayed.  St. Andrews has good club rentals.  I recommend taking a carry on pilot case and pack essential golf clothing in the carry on.  

When I travel overseas to golf, I pack one pair of golf shoes, rain gear, layers, a glove and one or two extra shirts and undies in the carry on.  Enough clothes to wear and play for a couple of days until the bags arrive.  

AirTags in your golf bag and suitcase are also a good idea.  

Four of my 60-something golf buddies were there last week, they played 4 days including St Andrews and Carnoustie. I'd say the OPs planning is spot on, conditioning and equipment. My buddies just play golf 3+/week including the past several months, and when it was nasty out they just smiled and said 'good practice for Scotland.' They did end up seeing the spectrum of temperatures, wind and precipitation as they expected. It was a bucket list experience for them, will be for you too.

Edited by Middler
  • Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • LAB DF3 w Accra
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

Your strategies are sound and I'm sure you'll have a great time.    

A golf friend and our spouses went to Scotland in July, 2022.  We spent three days in Edinburgh and two in St. Andrews.  We wanted to play while we were there, so we set up tee times at Gullane Number 2 and 3 on one of the days in Edinburgh. 

After walking 24,000 steps through the hilly street of Edinburgh, 36 holes of golf and another 27,000 steps on three consecutive days we were off to St. Andrews.   We made plans for the guided tour of the Old Course.  After the tour, my buddy went to the starter and asked if they had any tee times available (the Old Course was shut down for The Open which was the following week).  The starter said yes on the New Course.  He returned and asked if I wanted to play?  I looked at him in my most pathetic look I could muster and told him my feet were so sore I couldn't!  He said he was glad because he didn't want to be the one to say no! 

So, getting steps in before getting there is the right thing to do!

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

Excellent replies, thank you.  Thumbs up to the AirTags.  

Shameless plug.  If anyone is considering this trip, read Golf in Scotland by Tom Coyne.  For me, this book sealed the deal committing to this trip.  Or maybe don't read it if your partner isn't fully on board.  

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FW: 3HL Callaway Paradym

FW: 5 Callaway Mavrik

Hybird: Rogue ST 5

Irons: Paradym X 6-AW, UST Dart 75g

Wedges: Vokey TM9, 52F, 58S

Putter: Odessey OG 

Callaway Chromesoft or Titleist Tour Speed