Testers Wanted: ExPutt! ×

L.A.B. DF3 Putters - 2024 Forum Review

Message added by MGS-Forum-Mod,

Follow our testers main posts via the links below!

@jbern - Main Post 

@MattWillGolf - Main Post 

@CFreddie - Main Post 

@Cfhandyman - Main Post 

@GolfSpy MPR - Main Post 

@Steve F - Main Post

I have a league round tonight, which I'm looking forward to. Did a data-gathering session with the DF3 this afternoon, which wasn't spectacular, so I decided to get in a bit more practice on the ExPutt. There is a mode in the ExPutt simulator called "Challenge." It puts you on a green, typically somewhere in the 20–40' range. The greens have slope and break; obviously, gauging this is a bit like a video game. You're trying to adjust the aim left or right enough to account for the break, and then add or take away speed based on whether it's telling you that the putt is uphill or downhill.

The goal is to get the putt within 3' of the hole. If you do it on your first attempt, you get 10 points; second attempt, 5; and third attempt, 2. If you don't get it in the gimme range after three attempts, you get no points. You get a 3 point bonus if you make the putt.

image.png

As you can see, it took me a few holes to get the feel, but from the sixth hole on, I was putting really well. Making the very last putt on the first attempt was a nice exclamation point on the practice session.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX E722 16.5°, Tensei AV RAW Blue 65 S
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 19°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 22°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:callaway-small: Epic Forged 7 27°
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 7–PW
Diamond Tour Inazone 3.0 50°, 54°, 58°, Aldila NV 95 Graphite
:L.A.B.: DF3, Counterbalanced 37", TPT shaft, Garsen Quad Tour 17"

Full WITB with pictures

9 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Halfway through indoor data collection!

image.png

Made a couple of small tweaks to the scoring system, raising the value of Blast and ExPutt a little higher than HackMotion and being a little more forgiving for distance control on the longest putts in ExPutt.

Loving it that you’re testing the putters on three different systems. Will be most interested to know which system correlates best or helps you the most with on course putting.  Well done. 

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2 plus, LA golf DJ shaft, 55S

3 wood - TM Stealth plus, Mitsubishi Kai’li. Blue, 5 wood - TM Stealth plus,  Hzrdus red, 3 hybrid Mizuno CLK, Fuji pro

Irons (5-PW) - Mizuno 921 HMP, Accra IS 80

Wedges, Vokey SM9 48*10F, 54* 12D, 58* 8M, DG S400

Putter: L.A.B. DF3, TPT shaft, pistol grip

Bag: Vessel Cobra tour stand bag

Balls: Titleist ProV1x, Callaway Chrome soft X LS, Bridgestone Tour B XS or Srixon Z star Diamond

Tech: Arccos, Bushnell Pro XE rangefinder image.jpeg.6421bf4c3e32ba5a27f4fe57d0571222.jpeg

How have the testers gotten on with lag putting? It's something I still struggle with using my Mezz, and will often leave the ball 7-8ft short on a 40ft putt.

Ping G430 Max 10K (10.5º) Review Post - Ping G425 Max 3W (14.5º) - Ping G425 Max 5W (18.5º)  - Ping G425 Max 4 Hybrid - Ping i230 5-UW - RTX6 54º and 58º - LAB Golf DF3

12 hours ago, Rearviewmirror said:

How have the testers gotten on with lag putting? It's something I still struggle with using my Mezz, and will often leave the ball 7-8ft short on a 40ft putt.

It’s something you have to practice. Initially, I had the same experience leaving the ball 7-8 feet short on 40 foot putts. Then I started practicing 10, 20, 30 and 40 foot drills learning how far back I needed to take the club to achieve the desired mark.  As a result, it’s getting much better. 

3 wood - TM Stealth plus, Mitsubishi Kai’li. Blue, 5 wood - TM Stealth plus,  Hzrdus red, 3 hybrid Mizuno CLK, Fuji pro

Balls: Titleist ProV1x, Callaway Chrome soft X LS, Bridgestone Tour B XS or Srixon Z star Diamond

Tech: Arccos, Bushnell Pro XE rangefinder image.jpeg.6421bf4c3e32ba5a27f4fe57d0571222.jpeg

2 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Went back through my archives, and found this Arccos screenshot from last October, summarizing the prior year's putting (if you understand the chart, maybe even two years of rounds):

image.png

Just finished my fourth 9-hole round with the DF3. I'm getting more and more comfortable with it, and the on-course results show it. Today's round—at least in terms of putting—was so solid. Arccos had me as losing 0.0 strokes compared to scratch, and for a guy hovering around a 10 handicap, I'll definitely take that. And that doesn't even take into account that I used the DF3 from the fringe, rolling in a putt from about 15 feet. In fact, I putted from the fringe on another this round, something I don't typically do. But my feel for distance has been so spot on with the DF3 that I figured it would be stupid to use my SW on those shots.

image.png

The 22' putt on the final hole lipped out.

Here is Arccos's summary of the 36 holes I've played with the L.A.B. so far:

Screenshot_20240525-092716.png

Screenshot_20240525-092739.png

Is it just the honeymoon phase with Shazam?

image.png

Absolutely love this - while you are already a pretty good putter, its awesome to see the DF3 make you even better.  I'm certain once the honeymoon phase is over for all of us, we will settle into a pretty good improvement overall.  Thanks for sharing @GolfSpy MPR!

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge/Testing Bag (Link Here)

Driver: image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Paradym with Ventus TR Blue 60 Stiff

Fairways:  image.png.c4f821ba6925e5e146c31600685bf103.png Aerojet Max 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Hybrid:  image.png.c21137d282a252fb544e47aceb520176.png King TEC 5H with KBS PGI 95 Stiff

Irons:  image.png.6621a18e06b1717c1f774c4a561fd7d8.png Forged TEC 5-GW with KBS Tour Lite Stiff

Wedges:  image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Jaws Raw Plasma 54 & 58

Putter:  image.png.c8e6824d2c38fa85d20ca21913fbb2b1.pngPhantom X 5.5

Ball: 2023 Maxfli Tour

Other Reviews:

Callaway Paradym

Titleist White Box Testing (2023)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

I wasn't a tester and I've been very happy with my SC Futura 7m (I gain the most strokes putting.) However, I have been very interested in trying out the LAB putters from everything I've heard.

As a lefty, it can sometimes be difficult to find ones in store to try out, but one of the PGA Superstores near me happened to have both a DF 2.1 and a Mezz 1. I liked them both, but I preferred the DF 2.1. It was used and was a really good price, so I went back the next day to get some regripping done and had decided I was going to get it...but it was already gone! For the hour it took for my grips to get done, I putting with both the Mezz and my own putter. While I liked the Mezz, I decided that my putting has been so good that it wouldn't be worth the money to switch now.

Cut to today, when I went back to the same store for more regripping. This time, they had a DF 3...and wow. I absolutely love how it feels. I'm guessing it was just a stock setup (35") but it seemed to perfectly fit my putting stroke. I love how it never feels like the head turns at all. While I love my putter, I can tell that I'm manipulating the club face to stay square. With the DF 3, it felt effortless.

I may have to take the plunge.

Proud lefty

Mizuno JPX-921 irons (6-PW) | Ping G425 5-hybrid | Ping G425 Max Driver, Ping G425 3, 5 & 7 woods

Lazarus Wedges (52, 56, 60) | Scotty Cameron Futura X putter

2 minutes ago, curtdusoleil said:

I wasn't a tester and I've been very happy with my SC Futura 7m (I gain the most strokes putting.) However, I have been very interested in trying out the LAB putters from everything I've heard.

As a lefty, it can sometimes be difficult to find ones in store to try out, but one of the PGA Superstores near me happened to have both a DF 2.1 and a Mezz 1. I liked them both, but I preferred the DF 2.1. It was used and was a really good price, so I went back the next day to get some regripping done and had decided I was going to get it...but it was already gone! For the hour it took for my grips to get done, I putting with both the Mezz and my own putter. While I liked the Mezz, I decided that my putting has been so good that it wouldn't be worth the money to switch now.

Cut to today, when I went back to the same store for more regripping. This time, they had a DF 3...and wow. I absolutely love how it feels. I'm guessing it was just a stock setup (35") but it seemed to perfectly fit my putting stroke. I love how it never feels like the head turns at all. While I love my putter, I can tell that I'm manipulating the club face to stay square. With the DF 3, it felt effortless.

I may have to take the plunge.

Great write up - the face manipulation is def something I’ve noticed when switching back and forth with my gamer. I agree with the term “effortless” - it’s something I’ve had to very much adjust to on the green with the DF3.  No more swing thoughts…just step up, apply a (light grip), take the club away, and let it do its own thing. 

Keep us updated on if you do indeed “take the plunge”!

Driver: image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Paradym with Ventus TR Blue 60 Stiff

Fairways:  image.png.c4f821ba6925e5e146c31600685bf103.png Aerojet Max 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Hybrid:  image.png.c21137d282a252fb544e47aceb520176.png King TEC 5H with KBS PGI 95 Stiff

Irons:  image.png.6621a18e06b1717c1f774c4a561fd7d8.png Forged TEC 5-GW with KBS Tour Lite Stiff

Other Reviews:

Callaway Paradym

1 minute ago, Bucky CC said:

Lenny, cue the confession music.  I've had my eye on a LAB putter ever since last year's forum testing.  Tried out all their previous putters at PGA Superstore, went through the remote fitting (standard 35", 69°), and almost pulled the trigger countless times.

My interest perked up again this spring with the release of the DF3.  Right as I was considering a purchase for the 500th time I was selected for the Edel Array test (which is a great putter; check out our reviews).  My gamer narrowly beat out the Array in testing, but this dang thread kept the DF3 in the back of my mind.

Fast forward to last night when I had some time to kill waiting to pick up dinner.  Oh look, there's a Golf Galaxy right across the straight from my son's favorite restaurant (Chipotle is heaven for my 10 year old).  Somehow I came home with dinner and a new friend for my other two putters.

3littlebirds.jpg.7adaaa1bf347bf595cefb21817f4f15a.jpg
Left: Edel Array F-2, Middle: White Hot OG #7 (gamer?), Right: LAB DF3

One of my Array tests was hitting 8' putts on the Perfect Practice Mat.  This is a straight putt following the lines so it's not exactly the toughest putt in the world, but the pressure does ramp up as your consecutive makes climb.  The maximum number of 8 footers I made in a row with the Array was around 17 and with the Odyssey 31.

On my very first night with the DF3 I made 37 eight footers in a row.

woah.gif.6dd6594669f8d7d296c07c32e1f62344.gif

Woah indeed - good luck to your Edel and #7 - I have a feeling a change is coming soon enough 😉

Btw, you are super lucky (or it unlucky) that you fit into the “stock” specs - makes that purchase even easier!

Other Reviews:

Callaway Paradym

48 minutes ago, Bucky CC said:

Lenny, cue the confession music.  I've had my eye on a LAB putter ever since last year's forum testing.  Tried out all their previous putters at PGA Superstore, went through the remote fitting (standard 35", 69°), and almost pulled the trigger countless times.

My interest perked up again this spring with the release of the DF3.  Right as I was considering a purchase for the 500th time I was selected for the Edel Array test (which is a great putter; check out our reviews).  My gamer narrowly beat out the Array in testing, but this dang thread kept the DF3 in the back of my mind.

Fast forward to last night when I had some time to kill waiting to pick up dinner.  Oh look, there's a Golf Galaxy right across the straight from my son's favorite restaurant (Chipotle is heaven for my 10 year old).  Somehow I came home with dinner and a new friend for my other two putters.

One of my Array tests was hitting 8' putts on the Perfect Practice Mat.  This is a straight putt following the lines so it's not exactly the toughest putt in the world, but the pressure does ramp up as your consecutive makes climb.  The maximum number of 8 footers I made in a row with the Array was around 17 and with the Odyssey 31.

That’s a very nice collection of putters. One thing I’m finding is the exceptional face angle control of the L.A.B. DF3. 37 straight 8 footers in a row is impressive. Wait until you get it out onto the greens  

52 minutes ago, Bucky CC said:

Let's go!

Let's go!

Driver - Stix Compete
7W - :ping-small: G5
9W - :callaway-small: Big Bertha War Bird
5H/SW - :callaway-small:Edge 
6H - :ping-small: G15
5-PW - :macgregor-small: MT-86 OS
56 - Kirkland Signature 
Putter - :odyssey-small: White Hot Pro

48 minutes ago, CFreddie said:

Woah indeed - good luck to your Edel and #7 - I have a feeling a change is coming soon enough 😉

Btw, you are super lucky (or it unlucky) that you fit into the “stock” specs - makes that purchase even easier!

I have mixed feeling about being "stock".  On one hand it made it very easy to be able to purchase in store for their non-customized price.  On the other hand it made it way too easy to purchase in store when I really don't NEED a new putter.

Just now, Cfhandyman said:

That’s a very nice collection of putters. One thing I’m finding is the exceptional face angle control of the L.A.B. DF3. 37 straight 8 footers in a row is impressive. Wait until you get it out onto the greens  

I'm excited to get out for real testing.  I have rounds scheduled for Wednesday and Thursday this week so thankfully I won't have to wait long.  Just need to temper my expectations and not get upset when I don't make every single putt inside of 50 feet the first few times out.

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 10.5°, Kai'li Red X
Fairway Wood:  :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 16.5°, Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 75 X
3 Hybrid: :cobra-small:F9, LA Golf Tour AXS Red 85 X
4 Iron: Ping G410 Crossover
5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged, KBS Tour Stiff
Wedges: :vokey-small: Jet Black 50°08F, 54°12D, 58°08M, True Temper Dynamic Gold Black S200
Putter:  :odyssey-small: StrokeLab White Hot OG #7, Evnroll Tourtac grip

Part Two - Quintic ball roll system

The importance of Face Angle, the start direction of a putt and make ability of putts  – Quintic  

In Part 1 of the Quintic ball roll system, the following 5 most important categories were: 

1.      Face angle and start direction (Face angle at impact accounts for 85-90% of the start direction of a putt)

2.      Clubhead twist

3.      Ball speed and pace control

4.      Launch angle

5.      Spin and roll

Why is Face angle at impact so important: At the point of impact your putter face will either be open, closed or square to the target.  The data suggests that this accounts for 83-92% of the start direction of the ball.  With a loft of 2 degrees at impact, the face angle accounts for approximately 90 – 92% of the start direction of the golf ball assuming a center strike.  Path accounts for the remainder. The effective loft of the L.A.B. DF3 is 3 degrees.

image.png.23bbb4b550aa11efffd2ee30b3a57222.png

You want the putter face angle to be as close to square at impact

image.png.76aa73cba3dadf3f372ca2cc4079f652.png

Putting this into practical terms, if your face angle is 2 degrees or more open or closed at impact, you will always miss that 5 foot putt every time. image.png.0ac14d37f2d5c3e65faaaad46238523b.png 

For an 8 foot, putt it’s 1 degree.  For a 15 foot putt it shrinks to 0.5 degrees.  In the following example, if the face angle is closed by 1.42 degrees at impact, you will be able to make up to a 7 foot putt

image.png.f4e404d48f2603f214b9696094339bf6.png

The next example is with the face angle at a tour level (elite) 0.37 degrees open at impact.  You will easily make that 15 foot putt and probably 20 feet

image.png.c5e557600b8b55ad14db81f4acd1a6a8.png

image.png.61d7c1608a9f8cb0c915dc55811889bd.png

What factors impact face angle:  Grip pressure, swing mechanics, in particular alignment, path, overactive hands.  For example. a stronger grip or more pressure tend to close the clubface, whereas weaker grip and less pressure tend to open the clubface

So what does the data tell us:  On the PGA tour, the tour average make percentage for 5 feet is now 82%, but drops by over half to 41% at 10 feet.  For 15-20 footers, the make percentage is only 19%.  (2024 PGA tour data)

image.png.1c985ddfbe2308440b36e7f5e8e85789.png

Pro tip: Therefore, for putts outside of ten feet, one should predominantly concentrate on getting the right speed.  Inside ten feet, concentrate on face angle control for a quick way to lower your putts on course.  These are the ones that have the highest percentage of going in regardless of outside variables. 

Aids to help: String line, putting mirror,

References: Quintic Putting Analysis Software ( https://www.quinticballroll.com ) , Science and Motion, MGS, TXG, WRX, 

3 minutes ago, Cfhandyman said:

The importance of Face Angle, the start direction of a putt and make ability of putts  – Quintic  

In Part 1 of the Quintic ball roll system, the following 5 most important categories were: 

1.      Face angle and start direction (Face angle at impact accounts for 85-90% of the start direction of a putt)

2.      Clubhead twist

4.      Launch angle

5.      Spin and roll

Why is Face angle at impact so important: At the point of impact your putter face will either be open, closed or square to the target.  The data suggests that this accounts for 83-92% of the start direction of the ball.  With a loft of 2 degrees at impact, the face angle accounts for approximately 90 – 92% of the start direction of the golf ball assuming a center strike.  Path accounts for the remainder. The effective loft of the L.A.B. DF3 is 3 degrees.

Putting this into practical terms, if your face angle is 2 degrees or more open or closed at impact, you will always miss that 5 foot putt every time. image.png.0ac14d37f2d5c3e65faaaad46238523b.png 

For an 8 foot, putt it’s 1 degree.  For a 15 foot putt it shrinks to 0.5 degrees.  In the following example, if the face angle is closed by 1.42 degrees at impact, you will be able to make up to a 7 foot putt

The next example is with the face angle at a tour level (elite) 0.37 degrees open at impact.  You will easily make that 15 foot putt and probably 20 feet

What factors impact face angle:  Grip pressure, swing mechanics, in particular alignment, path, overactive hands.  For example. a stronger grip or more pressure tend to close the clubface, whereas weaker grip and less pressure tend to open the clubface

So what does the data tell us:  On the PGA tour, the tour average make percentage for 5 feet is now 82%, but drops by over half to 41% at 10 feet.  For 15-20 footers, the make percentage is only 19%.  (2024 PGA tour data)

Pro tip: Therefore, for putts outside of ten feet, one should predominantly concentrate on getting the right speed.  Inside ten feet, concentrate on face angle control for a quick way to lower your putts on course.  These are the ones that have the highest percentage of going in regardless of outside variables. 

References: Quintic Putting Analysis Software ( https://www.quinticballroll.com ) , Science and Motion, MGS, TXG, WRX, 

very well presented @Cfhandyman and the tips to deliver a square face is awesome. I would be intrigued with the percentages made by distance of the top 10 finishers in tournaments. 

I think I heard Shane Lowry made 180 feet of putts when he shot 62 at Valhalla. and didn't win... 

great read for a rainy sunday morning ... thanks...

committed to performance excellence

17 minutes ago, Jim Shaw said:

very well presented @Cfhandyman and the tips to deliver a square face is awesome. I would be intrigued with the percentages made by distance of the top 10 finishers in tournaments. 

I think I heard Shane Lowry made 180 feet of putts when he shot 62 at Valhalla. and didn't win... 

great read for a rainy sunday morning ... thanks...

In researching for this, I also have the best make percentages from the 2024 PGA tour data.  See below.  Hope that helps

image.png.63dc949e2eaeeed85082685a2a3a0d44.png 

Quintic Putter fitting/testing, Part 3 – What do the numbers mean and what’s ideal

The purpose of this three part series was to provide a simplified overview of Quintic.  It was meant to help you understand and what to expect in a putter fitting/testing, what are the key parameters and what the numbers mean.  In the first two parts we covered, the basics (part 1) and then the importance of face angle and its impact on start direction (part 2).  Today we will cover the remaining key parameters on Quintic, as well as a summary of what to look for during a putter fitting/testing on the Quintic ball roll system.   Please let us know if this was helpful and which part of the series you enjoyed the most.

1.      Face angle and start direction (Face angle at impact accounts for 85-90% of the start direction of a putt) (0 – 2.0 degrees) Covered in Part 2

2.      Clubhead twist (0.10 – 0.75 degrees).  Clubhead twist is the result of off center strikes  Twisting of the putter will cause inconsistent impact.

image.png.9e52d36d6328b5076f622d576573f9a8.png

3.      Ball speed and pace control (0.35 – 1.0 mph ball speed)  Tempo, length of backswing / through swing and weight of putter head all contribute towards a consistent ball speed

image.png.286575432476254cd0b6f10b7ae0d778.png

4.      Launch angle (<1.0 – 2.5 degrees), attack angle (<0.50 – 2.50 degrees)  Launch angle is a key factor for the start direction and pace control.  Influencing launch are dynamic loft, attack angle, impact location and how the ball is sitting on the surface area.  Controlling launch has a big influence on how far the ball will travel.  

image.png.f595bd1c8a3574457c23f46ac31901d1.png

5.      Spin and roll (skid < 2 – 15 inches), side spin (<10 – 40 rpm), start of forward ball roll (0 – 2 inches)  Zero skid – minimal skid is ideal   On a well struck putt, there should be less than 10 percent skid for the total distance the ball travels. So on an 8-foot putt, ideally there should be less than 10 inches of skid.  Every time the ball bounces and strikes the putting surface it loses energy.

image.png.e684a24690466bdf2ef2e1e2f71c257a.png

Summary of the key parameters and ideal numbers

image.png.80a3b8d366c1825a3b015a8c2ab7ffb3.png

References: Quintic Putting Analysis Software ( https://www.quinticballroll.com ) , Science and Motion, MGS, TXG, WRX,  

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Jim Shaw said:

I would be intrigued with the percentages made by distance of the top 10 finishers in tournaments. 

You can get that information here:  https://www.pgatour.com/stats/putting

Just filter the various putting categories by tournament only.  Unfortunately it doesn't break it down by round or sort by finish in the tournament. 

Based on what I have read feet of putts made is another potentially confusing statistic.  Make a 70 footer and you may have a high feet of putts made even though you putted poorly the rest of the round.  

Edited by cnosil

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

8 minutes ago, cnosil said:

You can get that information here:  https://www.pgatour.com/stats/putting

Just filter the various putting categories by tournament only.  Unfortunately it doesn't break it down by round or sort by finish in the tournament. 

Based on what I have read feet of putts made is another potentially confusing statistic.  Make a 70 footer and you may have a high feet of putts made even though you putted poorly the rest of the round.  

Hence the old saying "There's three types of lies.  Lies, damn lies and statistics"

Driver: Ping G430LST, Kaili White S

3 Wood: Ping G430Max, Alta Stiff

3H: Callaway XR16OS, Tour AD-DI 8S

4&5H: Callaway Apex Pro, Tour AD-DI 8S

6-PW: Taylormade P770 ('23 model), KBS Tour Lite S

50/54/60: Vokey SM9, KBS Tour Lite S 

Putter: Odyssey TriHot 5K Seven S with KBS OneStep shaft

4 minutes ago, Braehead said:

Hence the old saying "There's three types of lies.  Lies, damn lies and statistics"

That's the line of the week. LMAO.

12 hours ago, Cfhandyman said:

Quintic Putter fitting/testing, Part 3 – What do the numbers mean and what’s ideal

The purpose of this three part series was to provide a simplified overview of Quintic.  It was meant to help you understand and what to expect in a putter fitting/testing, what are the key parameters and what the numbers mean.  In the first two parts we covered, the basics (part 1) and then the importance of face angle and its impact on start direction (part 2).  Today we will cover the remaining key parameters on Quintic, as well as a summary of what to look for during a putter fitting/testing on the Quintic ball roll system.   Please let us know if this was helpful and which part of the series you enjoyed the most.

1.      Face angle and start direction (Face angle at impact accounts for 85-90% of the start direction of a putt) (0 – 2.0 degrees) Covered in Part 2

2.      Clubhead twist (0.10 – 0.75 degrees).  Clubhead twist is the result of off center strikes  Twisting of the putter will cause inconsistent impact.

3.      Ball speed and pace control (0.35 – 1.0 mph ball speed)  Tempo, length of backswing / through swing and weight of putter head all contribute towards a consistent ball speed

4.      Launch angle (<1.0 – 2.5 degrees), attack angle (<0.50 – 2.50 degrees)  Launch angle is a key factor for the start direction and pace control.  Influencing launch are dynamic loft, attack angle, impact location and how the ball is sitting on the surface area.  Controlling launch has a big influence on how far the ball will travel.  

5.      Spin and roll (skid < 2 – 15 inches), side spin (<10 – 40 rpm), start of forward ball roll (0 – 2 inches)  Zero skid – minimal skid is ideal   On a well struck putt, there should be less than 10 percent skid for the total distance the ball travels. So on an 8-foot putt, ideally there should be less than 10 inches of skid.  Every time the ball bounces and strikes the putting surface it loses energy.

References: Quintic Putting Analysis Software ( https://www.quinticballroll.com ) , Science and Motion, MGS, TXG, WRX,  

Thanks as always @Cfhandyman!  These overviews came at a perfect timing - I'll be doing a "fitting" at my local Club Champion tomorrow afternoon where I'll be able to compare Chewie to my current gamer.  Can't WAIT to see this breakdown on both putters - will share my results (along with plenty of pictures) after my session!

Other Reviews:

Callaway Paradym

On 5/24/2024 at 7:03 PM, Rearviewmirror said:

Long lag putting has always been my nemesis. I would consistently leave putts 8+ ft short or 10 ft long. Has it been something that you've always struggled with or only struggled since the Mezz?

Since getting the DF3, my lag putting has improved dramatically. What I can tell is that with my old putter, I would get jerky on the downstroke. Since getting the DF3, I have really focused on keeping things smooth to let the technology do it's job and it seems to make distance putting more consistent. I've only had one round on the course so far (my lag putting was superb during that round), so my data is mostly coming from Exputt.

On 5/26/2024 at 8:30 AM, Bucky CC said:

Congrats @Bucky CC on the new member of the family! 37 eight footers in a row is phenomenal! Hopefully the performance translates on course! What do you think was the biggest contributor to your initial performance?

WITB (link to detailed post here):

Driver:  Cobragolflogo.png.602fb363b272aeca0ae57ab591da02de.png LTDx 9* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff)

Fairway metals:  TITLEIST_logo_15px.png.86858562876473681822bdce0336ecd4.png 3W TSR2 14.25* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff) | PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png 5W Gen4 0341XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75 S)

Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png4H Gen4 0317XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75HY S)

Irons:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 659 CB 5-AW (Project X Rifle 6.0)

Wedges:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 286 54* & 58* (KBS Tour 120 S)

Putter:  Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png AL-6 armlock | Unofficial review here | LABLogo_25px.png.d348c70a35f07dfed1742feb45210a2f.png DF3 OFFICIAL MEMBER REVIEW HERE

Ball:   Vice_logo.png.282566e7be35424dbb3a5d3359e6385f.png pro drip: red & blue | MAXFLI_logo_15px.png.137df4bf59bf3628d99abc6ca08fd43f.png Tour S

Pushcart:  clicgear_logo.png.5569d627daa35e79384784c8a4e886f4.png 4.0 | '23 MGS Clicgear 4.0 Pushcart Tester | Link here

On 5/26/2024 at 11:00 AM, Cfhandyman said:

2.      Clubhead twist

4.      Launch angle

5.      Spin and roll

23 hours ago, Cfhandyman said:

Great Quintic overview @Cfhandyman! A putter fitting class summarized into 3 posts! I've always been curious what an elite putt/putter looks like with the data. On the surface, it looks like you're taking a flat piece of metal and forcing the ball to roll towards the target, but there really are a lot of factors that contribute to a quality and consistent putt.

WITB (link to detailed post here):

Driver:  Cobragolflogo.png.602fb363b272aeca0ae57ab591da02de.png LTDx 9* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff)

Fairway metals:  TITLEIST_logo_15px.png.86858562876473681822bdce0336ecd4.png 3W TSR2 14.25* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff) | PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png 5W Gen4 0341XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75 S)

Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png4H Gen4 0317XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75HY S)

Irons:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 659 CB 5-AW (Project X Rifle 6.0)

Wedges:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 286 54* & 58* (KBS Tour 120 S)

Putter:  Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png AL-6 armlock | Unofficial review here | LABLogo_25px.png.d348c70a35f07dfed1742feb45210a2f.png DF3 OFFICIAL MEMBER REVIEW HERE

Ball:   Vice_logo.png.282566e7be35424dbb3a5d3359e6385f.png pro drip: red & blue | MAXFLI_logo_15px.png.137df4bf59bf3628d99abc6ca08fd43f.png Tour S

Pushcart:  clicgear_logo.png.5569d627daa35e79384784c8a4e886f4.png 4.0 | '23 MGS Clicgear 4.0 Pushcart Tester | Link here

MGS Tester of the Week – Steve Fradkin Profile

In our continuing feature of the L.A.B. DF3 putter testing, we are introducing the MyGolfSpy Tester of the week for the L.A.B. DF3.  Each week we will highlight one of the testers. The purpose is to highlight the great work they are doing, but also to get to know them a bit better.  This weeks, tester of the week is none other than, @Steve F.

image.png.12d7aa8b8c8b9adbdec37433c24f4426.png

Where he’s from: He lives with his wife Patti in beautiful Maryland, in Glyndon, just northwest of Baltimore.

image.png.184a0e62d45705cb6402ce03d65a40c3.png

Who he is:  He is the newbie golfer of the testers, but don’t let that fool you as he brings a keen enthusiasm, passion and heart to the table as well as the feared Black Mamba.  He is another member of the pushcart mafia and his game has improved dramatically.

image.png.12dc6592ee2b90777e92734de3565581.png  

In his testing of the L.A.B. DF3:  At this point concerning the DF3: I am getting used to it and feel a lot more confident when putting at this time. When I pull the Mamba from the bag to go to work, it seems there is less junk running through my head and I am looking FORWARD to the putt! Must be something in the venom!   Latest test results

image.png.538b72a92932b173cd73774439c8d4df.png

Hard at work on the greens and his hand written notes.  Definitely old school. (editor)

image.png.904a96592e67392034c222e088413689.png  image.png.b0c3b3d1b86064f47ab20547488c24a8.png

What's up next: More on course testing versus his trusty Spider.