How many balls do you carry?

I have carried 6 balls per round for fifteen years and never ran out.  Fast forward to last weekend where I came down to the final hole with one ball remaining!  Par 5 with water on the right, woods and OB on the left, and not having a great driver day [obvious as I'd lost 5 balls already!].  I managed to limp home with a bogey after a terrible pitch and a two putt, but by golly I still had that ball.

An interview with Tiger Woods former caddy Steve Williams popped into my mind on the 18th tee. 

It was the last round of the 2000 US Open at Pebble Beach and Williams had forgotten to replace balls that Tiger had used for putting practice in his room the night before.  So Tiger is on the 18th with a ball on the tee and one in the bag.  Long carry over water, he dumps it onto the rocks and asks for another ball, not knowing its his last ball and Stevo was too scared to tell him that he was down to his last one.  Classic finish to one of the greatest US Opens ever.

https://www.facebook.com/mulliegolf/videos/this-steve-williams-story-of-tigerwoods-last-ball-at-the-2000-usopen-is-unrealor/409071917801033/

Edited by GolferXY

-XY

:redrooster: Sussex and Rain Rooster
:titleist-small: ProV1X
:taylormade-small: QI10 LS
:callaway-small: Epic Flash 3-wood
:taylormade-small: 4H Stealth 2, stiff
:ping-small: i525, 6 - W, 1 degree flat, ProjectX 5.5 110 g shafts
:vokey-small: SM10 52, 56, 60
:L.A.B.: DF3 Broomstick
:ping-small: Ping Pioneer Cart Bag
MGI electric cart

Too many and I rarely lose a ball. I usually have two new sleeves in the bag. One sleeve for normal conditions and one sleeve for windy days. 
The problem is all the balls I find while walking the course. They tend to accumulate. Then I purge out the balls for the range and the good balls tend to stay in the bag in case someone needs a few. 
 Then once I break into a sleeve another sleeve goes in. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:vice: Irons, Vice VGI01 Mitsubishi Wiz 60-gram regular flex (6 - PW)

:vice: VGW01, 50 Degree. Mitsubishi Wiz 60-gram regular flex, 

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

Putter, Sacks Parente Drac Center Shafted 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Usually a dozen. I’m pretty good at purging out the found and damaged balls every one or two rounds. It used to be half a dozen when I carried and that is when I got into the habit of cleaning out the balls not in use or ready for the shag bag

Ping G425 LST Driver

Ping G425 3 Wood

Ping G425 19deg Hybrid

Ping G430 irons 5-P, 45, 50

Taylormade MG3 wedges 54, 58

Ping Ketch Putter 34”

I know I replied earlier and am sticking to that  - except what about when you are playing a new course (totally in the dark on its layout, hazards, etc).  Does the ball count in the bag change?  I am asking as I am looking to play a course in the moutains of NC in Oct and the reviews all state - better bring a few extra balls.  So I'm pigging back on Rob's original post - with a caveat "what if its a new course totally unknown to you"....

WITB?:ping-small:  G400 SFT w/Aldila NXT GEN NVS 55 Aflex ; :ping-small: G410 3w; :ping-small: G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26) - stock Ping Alta CB R-Flex; :edel-golf-1:SMS 6i, 7i - KBS TourLIte 95 R-Flex; Maltby TS1 8i-9i-PW w/Apollo Acculite 85 R flex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -R-Flex and :odyssey-small: AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

@Tom the Golf Nut, I'm exactly same!   I typically have two sleeves of new balls in my bag and maybe a handful of used ones.  Given our course has narrow fairways, water and mangroves all over the place, I'll find two or three a round as we know where most people miss!  At the end of the round, I take the marginal balls and throw them into the driving net area near our bag room.   The area where I have my golf balls will grow until it reaches critical mass.  Then a purge is in order.   I have friends who play soft golf balls and other who play harder.  I split up the ones I don't need and give them away to a deserving home.  I agree with Tom....one sleeve out, one sleeve in!

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2 hours ago, Willie T said:

I know I replied earlier and am sticking to that  - except what about when you are playing a new course (totally in the dark on its layout, hazards, etc).  Does the ball count in the bag change?  I am asking as I am looking to play a course in the moutains of NC in Oct and the reviews all state - better bring a few extra balls.  So I'm pigging back on Rob's original post - with a caveat "what if its a new course totally unknown to you"....

Just out of curiosity what course are you playing?

But regarding your question. It doesn’t matter to me. I keep the same amount of balls in the bag. I do a couple of things ahead of time. YouTube the course to see how much trouble there is, try to see if the carts have GPS.  If not then I wear a GPS watch. But I mostly use a laser range finder.  Plan the trouble holes ahead of time if possible.

Well, typically I have 3 sleeves in the bag... but I usually come home with enough to add a couple to my son's bag and/or my wife's bag. Depending on what I find, determines who gets what. I don't really go looking for lost balls. Don't get me wrong, I hit plenty into the rough. But it never ceases to amaze me how many I find at the two courses I play regularly. Both of them have a fair number of events each week, so that makes it interesting. I find everything from Mojo to ProV1, sometimes they are left in the rough between fairways. Just yesterday I found 3 Kirkland Performance+ balls, one each on holes 2, 4, & 5. All brand new, each one of them about a foot off the fairway to the left at about 230 yards from the white tees... Someone is consistent, and either doesn't go looking for a ball just in the rough or doesn't know how far they hit it, or both. 

Driver: Titleist TSR3 9* | H2 track setting | C4 hosel setting | Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6X

3 wood: Titleist TSi3 15* | T track setting | B4 hosel setting | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7X

5 wood: Titleist TSR2 18* | C4 hosel setting | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8S

Hybrid: Titleist TSR2 21* | B1 hosel setting | Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9X

Irons: Titleist T100 Black | 5-P | True Temper AMT Tour White X100

Wedges: Vokey SM9 Jet Black | 50.08F, 54.12D, 58.08M | True Temper AMT Tour White S300

Putter: Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Button Back Newport 2.5+

2 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Just out of curiosity what course are you playing?

But regarding your question. It doesn’t matter to me. I keep the same amount of balls in the bag. I do a couple of things ahead of time. YouTube the course to see how much trouble there is, try to see if the carts have GPS.  If not then I wear a GPS watch. But I mostly use a laser range finder.  Plan the trouble holes ahead of time if possible.

Looking at Smoky Mountain Country Club, the missus and I are looking a weekend getaway that includes the Smoky Mountain railroad ride.  Looking to arrive Friday - play that afternoon at SMCC - if not then maybe Sunday before heading back home.   Yes, I am trying to figure the "trouble" hole(s).  Have done some YouTube searches, don't seem to be a lot out there.  Anyway, still in the planning stage on golf.  

WITB?:ping-small:  G400 SFT w/Aldila NXT GEN NVS 55 Aflex ; :ping-small: G410 3w; :ping-small: G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26) - stock Ping Alta CB R-Flex; :edel-golf-1:SMS 6i, 7i - KBS TourLIte 95 R-Flex; Maltby TS1 8i-9i-PW w/Apollo Acculite 85 R flex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -R-Flex and :odyssey-small: AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

19 minutes ago, Willie T said:

Looking at Smoky Mountain Country Club, the missus and I are looking a weekend getaway that includes the Smoky Mountain railroad ride.  Looking to arrive Friday - play that afternoon at SMCC - if not then maybe Sunday before heading back home.   Yes, I am trying to figure the "trouble" hole(s).  Have done some YouTube searches, don't seem to be a lot out there.  Anyway, still in the planning stage on golf.  

Willie,

I had to go back and re-read your post. Once I saw Smoky Mountain Country Club I panicked. The one at the base of the mountains just over the border in Newport TN popped in my head and I would have told you to save your money. That was my neck of the woods for 19 of the last 20 years. I wouldn't even go there with a free raincheck. They sold it last year to Trumps sister-in-law or something like that. The past owner pocketed the money they made from the course and never put anything back into it. Once I saw North Carolina I felt much better. The one in NC is a shorter course 5500 from the men's tee and 4900 from the senior tees but it's in the mountains with some big elevation changes. So, you don't need to be long or always hit a driver, but you do need to be accurate. Having a few extra balls in the car wouldn't hurt because you can always bring them home. 

1 hour ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Willie,

I had to go back and re-read your post. Once I saw Smoky Mountain Country Club I panicked. The one at the base of the mountains just over the border in Newport TN popped in my head and I would have told you to save your money. That was my neck of the woods for 19 of the last 20 years. I wouldn't even go there with a free raincheck. They sold it last year to Trumps sister-in-law or something like that. The past owner pocketed the money they made from the course and never put anything back into it. Once I saw North Carolina I felt much better. The one in NC is a shorter course 5500 from the men's tee and 4900 from the senior tees but it's in the mountains with some big elevation changes. So, you don't need to be long or always hit a driver, but you do need to be accurate. Having a few extra balls in the car wouldn't hurt because you can always bring them home. 

Tom - you scared me when I started reading this reply.  So glad I didn’t panic…yes the course looks to be a shorter track, which I’m good with.  I typically play anywhere from 5,500 to 6,000 - so this should play well into the distance factor.  I actually love to be less than driver off the tee.  I have a ton of extra balls, so I’ll be able slip an easy extra dozen balls - now which flavor (everything from Pro-V1s to Maxfli Tours to Srixon Soft Feels to Wilson Zips and that’s just the NIB ones - then there’s the slightly used/found balls)….

54 minutes ago, Willie T said:

Tom - you scared me when I started reading this reply.  So glad I didn’t panic…yes the course looks to be a shorter track, which I’m good with.  I typically play anywhere from 5,500 to 6,000 - so this should play well into the distance factor.  I actually love to be less than driver off the tee.  I have a ton of extra balls, so I’ll be able slip an easy extra dozen balls - now which flavor (everything from Pro-V1s to Maxfli Tours to Srixon Soft Feels to Wilson Zips and that’s just the NIB ones - then there’s the slightly used/found balls)….

Who would have thought two courses with the same name, not that far from each other both in the Smoky Mountains. 

12 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Who would have thought two courses with the same name, not that far from each other both in the Smoky Mountains. 

Tell me -  would have never thunk they would have two that close / yet one is in Tenn and the other in NC….guess once you cross state lines, all names start new…

Usually have 6-9 good balls pending the course I’m playing and a few “water balls” in the bag for water holes 

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

Let's not forget the "mental health" balls. Sometimes I'll need to blast one out into the lake to bring the adrenaline back down or shake off a bad front nine.

I like collecting yellow balls just for that purpose.

Cheers

Odyssey XG #9

Cleveland CG15 wedges 54/58

Takomo 101 irons PW-4

Rescue hybrid 3 

M6 3W & Driver

Bridgestone e12 

1 hour ago, barney_bogey said:

Let's not forget the "mental health" balls. Sometimes I'll need to blast one out into the lake to bring the adrenaline back down or shake off a bad front nine.

Cheers

What is it with you guys? What do you have against my family members. Heck, I haven't even done anything to you YET. 

17 hours ago, barney_bogey said:

Cheers

One time I sliced three balls off the tee into a nearby lake. I turned toward the lake to hit one into it on purpose. That one went long and straight across the lake! 🤣🤷‍♂️

:taylormade-small: M6 clubs in the bag and a GARMIN Fenix 7 on the wrist!