Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

A couple of questions

wade410

http://valueguide.pga.com/detail-exec/brand/2784/product_type/205/model/43659/b/TaylorMade/p/Iron%20set/m/Burner%20Midsize

First I was wondering what type of iron Taylor Made burner mid-size are considered. They do not look like blades and defiantly not cavity back.

Secondly I was wondering what would be a good replacementnt for these. I bought a set of burnere mid-sizes irons last year when I started playing golf with my fathe in-law and brothere in-law. Probablyly a poor choice for a beginner but I let the in-law influencene my decision, to them if it doesn't say Taylors Made it isn't worth having. Anyway I have been able to hit the Burne Mid-size well this season and love how they feel on a good hit but several are starting to show their age and I want to upgrade. So because my normal partners have blinders on (my fathein in-law actually said that he has neverer heard of Adams golf this weekend)and I want an opionon not from a sales man I thought I would ask here

My Bag

Driver Diablo Edge

Fairway Nickent DX 3 and 5

Hybrid Nickent DT 3 and 4 hybrid

Iron VR Pro Combo5-pw

Wedge Adams Idea Pro 60 and 56

Putter STX X-Form 1

I would put the TM Burner Midsize in an early development of a GI iron, I have not seen one in person so I don't know 100% for sure if that is accurate. Could be something that falls in the middle between GI and Players CB kind of like a AP1, i20 type iron.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

I had to look these up but the definately are cavity backs. At least an earlier version of them. Those Taylormade Burner Midsize are from around 1993 and were built along the the Ping Eye 2 lines. There are much better irons availible now, and as much as I hate to admit it Taylormade makes really good ones.

Their RBZ irons out now are the latest version and we have beat those to death on this site. They would be considered Game Improvement irons and in the same catagory as the Burners. If you are not wanting to spend the money on a brand new set, There are several newer better versions of the Burners.

As you can see by my two bags worth of clubs I am not a TMag fan, but I would never say they make rubbish. They make really good stuff but for the most part simply does not appeal to me. (However, I hate to admit that I do secretly lust in my heart for a TMag R11s) I have never hit one and out drive the guys that have them with both my new Callaway Razr Fit and my old Titleist 909D3.

The best advice is to go get fit for irons. Even if you are not getting new ones, get the specs and buy used ones that fit you because the bottom line is you will play so much better with properly fit clubs and that trumps any brand name or model year.

To prove my point you can see that I have two complete sets that I play. One of them the Hogan irons are from 2004. These were just mediocre clubs that I really just hated to sell because I could not get anything for them. I put the properly fitted shafts in them and they are now some of the finest irons I have ever hit. My other set the Mizuno MP62 are considered my many to be some of the finest irons ever made, but I have played these same heads with 5 different sets of shafts, and three of them are simply not suited for me and it makes the heads worthless.

So get fitted for the shaft, find the head design that you want. Hit them and be happy. I have spent much more money on used golf equipment than I would have if I would have gone and gotten properly fitted first and bought new. But pay for a fitting as a seperate item if you want to buy used, it is well worth the $75.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I had to look these up but the definately are cavity backs. At least an earlier version of them. Those Taylormade Burner Midsize are from around 1993 and were built along the the Ping Eye 2 lines. There are much better irons availible now, and as much as I hate to admit it Taylormade makes really good ones.

Their RBZ irons out now are the latest version and we have beat those to death on this site. They would be considered Game Improvement irons and in the same catagory as the Burners. If you are not wanting to spend the money on a brand new set, There are several newer better versions of the Burners.

As you can see by my two bags worth of clubs I am not a TMag fan, but I would never say they make rubbish. They make really good stuff but for the most part simply does not appeal to me. (However, I hate to admit that I do secretly lust in my heart for a TMag R11s) I have never hit one and out drive the guys that have them with both my new Callaway Razr Fit and my old Titleist 909D3.

The best advice is to go get fit for irons. Even if you are not getting new ones, get the specs and buy used ones that fit you because the bottom line is you will play so much better with properly fit clubs and that trumps any brand name or model year.

To prove my point you can see that I have two complete sets that I play. One of them the Hogan irons are from 2004. These were just mediocre clubs that I really just hated to sell because I could not get anything for them. I put the properly fitted shafts in them and they are now some of the finest irons I have ever hit. My other set the Mizuno MP62 are considered my many to be some of the finest irons ever made, but I have played these same heads with 5 different sets of shafts, and three of them are simply not suited for me and it makes the heads worthless.

So get fitted for the shaft, find the head design that you want. Hit them and be happy. I have spent much more money on used golf equipment than I would have if I would have gone and gotten properly fitted first and bought new. But pay for a fitting as a seperate item if you want to buy used, it is well worth the $75.

My Bag

Driver Diablo Edge

Iron VR Pro Combo5-pw

Putter STX X-Form 1

Yeh I wouldn't be thinking of changing irons yet except the graphite shafts are starting to split and show their age and I don't think they are worth reshafting

As far as my game currently I am a high handicapper mainly due to poor putting. I drive ok with a tendance to have a slice. With my irons I can hit 4 on down to my pw generally acceptable as for swing mechanics I am not sure about my tempo or style

My Bag

Driver Diablo Edge

Iron VR Pro Combo5-pw

Putter STX X-Form 1

I will not rehash the story here but you can read about my club fitting here.

http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/6017-2012-a-shaft-odyssey/

You are right that the heads you have now are probably not worth reshafting, but the shaft can make so much difference. The point I was making is even the best head on the wrong shaft is worthless. There are a multiude of options out there and unless you know exactly what you need it is going to be a much longer road. All of the major brands make great clubs, and honestly it really comes down to what fits your eye and gives you the most confidence, but in my opinion the shaft makes much more difference than the head, provided you are complaring the same catagory of clubs. Players, Game Improvement, Super Game Improvement. The advantage of having and paying for a seperate fitting, is that you get the truth not some sales pitch. They are getting the money from you up front and not having to make a sale. However, people always have favorite brands. Mizunos are some of the favorites for the hardcore MGS people like me and we will tell you it will even improve your sex life, but do not believe us. Buying roses does that, not golf clubs.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

As for the roses I guess that depends on if your wife is a golfer or not : )

Currently I am really eying the Nike VR Pro Cavity. I like the appearance but haven't had a chance to hit them. I worry if I need more game improvementnt than these.

When you talk about fitting I assume you mean with a local pro shop or major golf retailer. The only fitting I have ever had was at Dicks. A very appropriateiate name for a store from the service I received. Took me three trips to the store just to find someone to talk to. The "fitting" was hitting about half a dozen balls with two different Taylor Made drivers both Burner HT and being handed the one with the regular flex and being told thats the one I needed.

My Bag

Driver Diablo Edge

Iron VR Pro Combo5-pw

Putter STX X-Form 1

To RP Jacob II

"While I am familiar with the Burner irons & the Burner Superfast, then the Superfast 2.0 Burners, I have never heard of Burner "Mid- Size" irons...While they are "mid-size" in profile, I have never seen them referred to or marketed as such..."

Thanks for the reply the irons I am talking about are a different vintage think bubble shaft and fire sole. They are from about 1994 and are a hollow shell filled with foam or so it says on the pga blue book site here is a link to that site with a picture

http://valueguide.pga.com/detail-exec/product_type/205/brand/2784/model/43659/shaft_type/2/tab/trade_in/show_details/1/p/Iron%20set/b/TaylorMade/m/Burner%20Midsize

As you can see from the picture they are probably in there day considered GI but they are odd enough I thought I would ask to see if any "old timer" had anything to say about them

My Bag

Driver Diablo Edge

Iron VR Pro Combo5-pw

Putter STX X-Form 1

I will not rehash the story here but you can read about my club fitting here.

Mizunos are some of the favorites for the hardcore MGS people like me and we will tell you it will even improve your sex life, but do not believe us. Buying roses does that, not golf clubs.

You sure about that? Mine has definitely picked up... ;)

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I also do not count myself as a TMAG fan, and I'm still in denial about them purchasing my beloved Adams. That said, Adams makes some great stuff, in particular check out the CB2. You should be able to get a good deal on them if you can find them. You'll find them more forgiving than what you're playing now, and since they are forged, they will feel buttery soft.

Driver: Bridgestone J40 - 445

Woods: TEE - 4

Hybrids - Adams Super 19*/22*

Irons: Adams CB2

Wedges: Mizuno MP-T11 54*/58*

Putter: Scotty Cameron Sonoma

Currently I am really eying the Nike VR Pro Cavity. I like the appearance but haven't had a chance to hit them. I worry if I need more game improvementnt than these.

Probably not. I have a set and they are actually really nice irons. Unlike a MB iron where you can really feel the mishits, with these you can still usually feel the mishit just not as much. Distance is not uber-penalized with a crappy shot like it is with a MB. Ball flight is typically high & straight but there is some room to work the ball if you were inclined to. I can't compare them to a Super Game Improvement Irons as I have never hit any though...sorry. Anyway...hope that helped. You can get them for under $250 on the big auction site, but like mentioned above....probably best to at least get fitted for a shaft.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Thanks for all the information went out with the wife today and browsed the three local golf shops found a set of VR pro combos which one of the shops where trying to move. They were +1 length and 2 degrees upright which is what they fitted me as. I hit the 6 iron a few times and feel in love with them even my wife commented on how well I hit it. So I now have a new set of Nike VR ProCombo for less than $500. Honestly I love the way the blades feel but will need to practice with them before I will feel comfortable with the long irons.

My Bag

Driver Diablo Edge

Iron VR Pro Combo5-pw

Putter STX X-Form 1

Archived