Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Titleist Ball Fitting

Going to a Titleist ball fitting on Thursday -- sponsored by 2nd Swing in Minneapolis. It's outdoors, which seems like a smart thing....have never done a ball fitting before, but have read some threads here. Any thoughts on what questions to ask, what to look for? I'm pretty sure they won't be recommending any Bridgestones....

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Not to dampen your enthusiasm, however I found the ball fitting with Titleist to be a charade...I happen to play Bridgestone(B-330S) though I just wanted to see the process...

Bottoms line, the Pro V1X was the reccomended ball, though what really got me was when I spoke to my father, who also went through the "fitting," and he too was recommended the 1X...His SS is 90-93mph and he hits his 6i 160 yds...

I would think that the NXT or NXT Tour would be a better ball for him....Ya don't think numbers $45 vs. $29 had anything to do with the recommendation, do ya?....

I'm probably being too cynical, though if you come back from the fitting and tell me that the rep reccomended the Bridgestone B-330RXS for you, well my faith will be restored!...Have fun, and get the free sleeve of balls...lol...

Fairways & Greens 4ever......

Well that is expected from Titleist as they advertise that slower swing speeds can hit a higher compression ball on a regular basis --> http://www.titleist.com/golf-ball-fitting/

Bridgestone, Srixon and a couple other companies take a different approach with tour level balls that are designed to target slower swing speeds.

I don't really trust the Ball Fitting process, I know my game well enough to take a sleeve of balls on the course and compare the feel and performance to what I play currently. I get more out of testing it on the course then I do on a LM personally, I don't need exact numbers just feel at impact, spin response on the green, ball flight are enough for me.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

thanks for the feedback, boys...

Going in to this with eyes wide open -- hell, it's free, so what can you expect?

For me, balls are a funny thing (now there's a sentence I never thought I'd put in writing!). Play a mishegas of balls, everything from ProV1's to Wilson FG Tours, Duo's and Elite 50's to Bridgestone E6's to Penta's to whatever I can find cheap....the only difference I've found is being able to stop the premium balls with a wedge -- the others bounce and roll a little. Distance, feel, etc - not much difference (except the Duo - that's one interesting feeling ball).

Now I have no idea what why this is -- but my best rounds this year have come with --- wait for it -- yellow balls! The evidence clearly shows that yellow balls - yes, yellow balls -- are the best fit for my game! :P

Will report back on the process Thursday -- if nothing else, it'll get me out of the house to check out the U of Minn course -- I hear it's pretty sweet.

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I'd be interested in hearing about a ball fitting from a store like GG or the like who considers all balls from all manufacturers. Seems like with any OEM fitting you are absolutely limited to their line-up.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

I think a ball fitting will be pretty informational for you and I'm sure some good stuff will come out of it. That said I don't think Titleist's ball fitting is as complete as others out there. I would venture to guess you will end up with either the Prov1 or Prov1x ball. What I would do if I were you is after you are done, go to Bridgestone's website and use their BFIT service. Talk to a rep and give him the same type of numbers and stuff you went over with the Titleist guys. See if they match up as to what type of ball you get placed with.

JM, I know the Titleist Mantra, though if that's the case, why have all of the other balls...For "feel?...For a mid-high capper?..."Feel?"..Really?....Those are rhetorical questions not directed at you, though I hardly think that a Titleist rep is reading this....lol...One thing that I will give Titleist, though I don't know how the other OEMs do it, is Titleist, at least the rep that I know, does his ball fittings on an outdoor practice tee/range location & weather permitting..That's a good thing...

I know those are not directed at me but I have a guess at the logic. I feel that the NXT Tour / NXT Tour S are a line of balls that match up with Bridgestone e5 / e6 / e7 typoe of a ball. Not exactly a tour performance ball but a compromise between a pure distance ball and a premium ball. I would have to say a lot of 20 + handicappers don't like spending $50 or more a dozen to lose all of them in about 4 rounds or less. However, they do want a little better performance out of a ball then pure distance, that is where the NXT line hits. Sort of like the Callaway HX Diablo Tour, it is a middle of the line price and middle of the line performance.

This is a ball that is geared for people that are middle handicaps that can't justify to themselves spending $50 or more on a dozen balls because they lose them too quickly. $2 a ball is better then $5 or $6 a ball, but you get what you pay for in performance.

On a serious note, what do you think of the thought that anyone can hit the tour balls without performance loss(Titleist) versus the other view that there are better balls for a slower swing?...I've never really given it that much thought, though it is a multi-billion dollar industry...

I recall this conversation being started awhile back in a different topic about ball compression. I have a personal opinion that it would change for me depending on typical temperatures. For anything above 70* I'd probably play one ball. Anything bellow 70* like 40 - 60 I'd play a lower compression ball personally.

I normally play the "tour distance" model of whatever ball line up, they spin more then enough on the greens and spin less on the driver plus have a higher compression for my higher swing speed.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

I've went through 3 different Bridgestone fittings in the last 2 years and been recommended 3 different balls. The determining factor seems to be the answer to the question "what is your current gamer". Tell them its a $45/dozen tour ball, and they recommend a bridgestone in that price range. Tell them its a $25/dozen ball, and they recommend the e-series.

Whatever, they at least put you on a monitor and give you a couple balls!

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

I've went through 3 different Bridgestone fittings in the last 2 years and been recommended 3 different balls. The determining factor seems to be the answer to the question "what is your current gamer". Tell them its a $45/dozen tour ball, and they recommend a bridgestone in that price range. Tell them its a $25/dozen ball, and they recommend the e-series.

I'm shocked, shocked I tell you!

There's a clubfitter/builder around here who does ball fittings on his monitor for $80 - and that includes a box of whatever Bridgestone balls that fit your game. It's a close to an "independent" ball fitting that I've seen - they'll tell you what type of ball would best suit your game, but you come away with a box of Bridgestones. I'm sure it's way more thorough than the free 15-minute session tomorrow -- but free is free, after all.

And say you wind up getting "fit" for a ProV1 -- my guess is that would mean anyone's "premium" ball would pretty much fit your game, as well...

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Just fit yourself or better yet go take a playing lesson from your pro and ask him what ball you should use.

I've experienced exactly what everyone else here has experienced.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Well, the results are in and.....

It's the ProV1x for me!!!!

They actually did a nice job of explaining the Trackman results ( he said he'd email me the report -- we'll see). HIt a handful of wedge shots with a 58*, then some 6 irons and drivers. They analyzed launch angle, ball speed, spin, landing angle (with wedge) etc....

Said a urethane ball would work best for me to get the ball to stop on wedge shots. Hit the bejeepers out of the 6-iron and driver, but the monitor showed spin numbers on the high side - hence the recommendation for the Prov1x.

Asked the guy what the difference would be between the Titleist premium ball and, say, Bridgestone, TM or Calloway -- he gave me what I thought was an honest answer. They're all excellent golf balls, but its like the difference between a Porsche, Ferrari and an Aston Martin -- all high performance sports cars with slightly difference attributes -- it just comes down to what you like and what first your style best.

Sounded reasonable to me.

And he gave to a couple of two-packs to get me hooked. Like they say, the first one's free....

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Well, the results are in and.....

It's the ProV1x for me!!!!

They actually did a nice job of explaining the Trackman results ( he said he'd email me the report -- we'll see). HIt a handful of wedge shots with a 58*, then some 6 irons and drivers. They analyzed launch angle, ball speed, spin, landing angle (with wedge) etc....

Said a urethane ball would work best for me to get the ball to stop on wedge shots. Hit the bejeepers out of the 6-iron and driver, but the monitor showed spin numbers on the high side - hence the recommendation for the Prov1x.

Asked the guy what the difference would be between the Titleist premium ball and, say, Bridgestone, TM or Calloway -- he gave me what I thought was an honest answer. They're all excellent golf balls, but its like the difference between a Porsche, Ferrari and an Aston Martin -- all high performance sports cars with slightly difference attributes -- it just comes down to what you like and what first your style best.

Sounded reasonable to me.

And he gave to a couple of two-packs to get me hooked. Like they say, the first one's free....

I really like that they had you hit a wedge and the fitter's attitude in general. I hate the feeling of being sold something and prefer getting an honest opinion. In the end it really seems like the choice is between a pro distance ball or pro spin ball. After that it's trial and error between different brands. Every brand offers these options with urethane covers (which aren't optional imo). My main beef with the Bridgestone fitting I had was it's all driver, but then again generating spin has never been my problem.

One nice thing about the ProV1(x) series is you can buy them really cheap from used golf ball sites.

Archived