Your Brand Opinion: PXG Golf

High quality, excellent in-person customer service

• Driver - Ping G400 9°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 65 gr. 
  • FW - TM M3 3-wood 15°, Project-X HZRDUS Red 6.0 75 gr. mid-spin
  • Hybrid - TM M4 19°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 85 gr. HY 
  • Irons - TM P790, 3-PW, Oban CT-115, PXG 311 P Gen 6
  • Wedges - Mizuno T20 Ion blue 52/9 & 56/14, N.S. Pro Modus3 S-flex
  • Putter - Evnroll ER2 Garsen Max grip
  • Getting a grip - oversize Winn DryTacs and Bionic gloves
  • Ball - ProV1, AVX, Maxfli Tour, PXG
  • Bag(s)/cart - Vessel Player III Rovic RV1S and Alphard V2

I think they are one of the best brands out there. I like the direct to consumer approach, that they are privately owned and they only release clubs when they are ready to.  My Gen 4 P irons and woods still perform like the day I bought them and the fitting process was informative and really nailed my best performance profile.  I have already been fit for the Gen 7's and will most likely be buying those later this year!

Chris Cejka

I have misgivings and appreciation for the PXG brand.  Frankly, their advertising is harsh and I am not impressed by a presentation that sounds like a "buy here, pay here" used-car salesman. I appreciate their involvement with those who serve or have served. That is a high level of involvement with the public.  Their clubs are well made, but not for me.  I've tried them, and they felt clunky to me.  But again, it all depends on the individual and their needs in a club.  There is probably a niche for every level & quality of player.  PXG has found theirs, and good for them.

I agree with some that the marketing is a bit loud and not my style.  That being said, I had a set of Gen3 irons and then switched into the Gen 6's P/XP blended set.   I absolutely love them.  Both the performance and feel are fantastic.  I have tried many things and nothing matches them.

On 10/7/2024 at 12:54 PM, Siamese Moose said:

Their advertising does not appeal to me, and the look of the screws is not good, but the inability to be fit at an independent fitter side by side with other brands is a disqualifier for me.

...all that, but I did get to hit the Gen 7 (0311?) irons at the Rosemont golf show.  Wonderful buttery smooth.  So, I consider them expensive, improvement irons.

Z565 or Launcher Lite :: M6 3&5 woods :: Srixon hybrids :: Cleveland 588 TT irons :: CBX wedges :: midsize grips w/no glove

PXG customer service is amazing. Probably the best I’ve ever experienced with any brand. I had an issue with a driver and they just replaced it. No questions asked. 
Fitting is pretty good and it’s free and they will fit you for an hour or longer if need to dial you in. 
I play a Gen5 driver and I like it, but I’ll probably get something different in the next year or so. Choosing between PXG and Srixon for irons I elected for the Srixons, but I think PXG makes better looking clubs. 
PXG makes the best golf glove ever. Fit is perfect gripe is amazing, durability is ok not the best.

Id love to try the new Allen putter but I bought one before it came out and the price tag is a little up there for me  

The Veterans discount from PXG is amazing and applies to everything in the store and can be double on clubs  

I have a positive experience with the brand over all. 

It’s takes a lot of money to be this bad at golf. 

PXG branding put me off to be honest and its early irons had a design that had could be better (way too many screws). I always felt like I wasn't in the target audience for their products. But I did the black and white branding. So clean.

I thought I would never even consider them. However they had a fitting promotion that ended up being $12 for a full bag and I had to jump at the chance to just get fitted for that price. 

I was fitted with the Gen 5 XPs and they blew me out of the water. The design was better (3 screws now) and the irons performed great. The fitting experience was so fun.

I ultimately didn't want to pay the price for the irons which ended up being pretty good but not what I was ready to spend at the time. 

Ended up using the specs to get some Callaway DCBs instead from Callaway Pre-owned.

I don't regret not getting th PXGs but I have to say that I sometimes wonder what could have been.

I would definitely give it a try again when I'm in the market for new irons.

Marketing is just that - marketing. For the most part it doesn't tell you anything useful about a product. That said, a bad marketing campaign can imply things about the judgement of the people in charge of the company. I can't begin to count the number of times I see commercials these days and wonder, not just what ad agency came up with that wrongheaded idea, but who at the company thought "Yeah, that's what we want to say" and signed a six or seven figure check for it. Example: Quaker State paying for a guy with a Scottish accent yelling "Think with your dipstick!" while whipping a potential customer with said dipstick - WTF? A bad marketing campaign can give me negative feelings about a company and it can take a long time for those to change. Even if the products are good.

Which brings us to PXG. Their initial offering was a $2K set of irons with a bunch of weight screws around the perimeter of the heads. Which was, depending on your point of view, either a clever and less expensive way of providing perimeter weighting or an inelegant and clunky way of avoiding having to model and mold/forge/mill a shape and figure out where to place a tungsten weight to do it. Both of which begged the question "Why do these cost two grand?".

I couldn't figure out from their commercials who they were trying to sell them to. The first ad looked like it was done by the guys that did the Duluth Trading line-drawing ads, and aimed at the same demographic. Seriously, you're trying to sell two thousand dollar clubs to the flannel shirt crowd? The second ad was just Bob Parsons reciting a flurry of buzz phrases - "Unlimited time! Unlimited money! Come early, stay late! Accept no compromises! Blah blah blah...". In other words, marketing white noise, done in a voice that sounded like it was from a pickup truck ad.

I am not in the demographic these irons were aimed for. I feel no need to spend that much on a set of irons. But it took a while for that ad campaign to wear off. For a couple of years, I didn't bother to read any reviews of PXG equipment. When I bought new irons last year, I didn't even look to see what PXG offered. Now that their ads have become more mainstream my view has softened. If I were in the market now, I would certainly audition their Black Ops irons.

So to sum up, since it seems to be so difficult to come up with a good marketing campaign, at least try to avoid doing a bad one. Try to be like officiating at a sporting event - if no one notices, you did a good job.

Cobra F9 10.5 Driver Mitsubishi Diamana ZF 60g SR flex

Cobra F9 3-4W Mitsubishi Diamana RF 60g regular

Cobra King Tec 3H Xcaliber Rapid Taper RTI75 regular

Cobra King Utility 4i Xcaliber Rapid Taper RTI75 regular

Mizuno JPX923 HM 5-GW Nippon 950GH Neo regular

Mizuno S23 54* S grind Nippon Modus 3 105g Wedge flex

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 60* Z grind DG Spinner

Evenroll ER2

PXG make something for everyone, with varying price points to suit everyone.  I bought the 2nd generation 0211dc irons, 10 of them, 4-LW and they have served me well.  They perform all the tasks asked, be it flying high into greens, low punch shots into the wind, I play links golf, with winds most golfers would shy away from.  We played a match in April, with winds gusting at 65mph, our opponents wanted to go home. The course was open and fit for play, so we continued.  We won, with the PXG's doing the business.  The Stiff MMT shafts do their job well, delivering the club head, in the manner I want. 

Would I have one of the newer, more expensive alternatives from PXG, yes I would.  Have I looked at other brands, yes, always looking, golfers rarely stop window shopping, but until something catches my eye to beat what I have, they will remain in the bag. 

I paid much less than all the other brands would charge for the 10 irons, caught one of the deals, was hard to say no. PXG no longer charge more than the other main steam brands, they all charge like a wounded Rhino now!  You get quality and great after sales service, which they deliver with a smile and a thank you.

Titleist TS3 driver, Ping 5 wood, Adams 2 wood hybrid, cobra 3 hybrid, PXG 0211 dc irons, 4-LW carbon/steel stiff shafts. Old centre shafted Rossi spider putter. Seed golf balls.

I have played PXG irons for 2 seasons now. I really like the look and feel. I haven't tried the wedges, I'm still partial to my Vokey's.

Avid Golfer playing over 30+ years

Driver: TaylorMade Stealth 2

Wood: Callaway Rogue

Hybrid: Titleist 910H

Irons: PXG Gen4 0311T

Wedges: Volkey 56 Callaway 60 

Putter: Scotty Cameron Del Mar

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Initially they started as a boutique business but have changed to fit all golfers who have an interest in getting fit and potentially improving their game.

There is a PXG store not too far from me, and I visited it when a friend went to get fit for his clubs.

If and maybe when I would look to make a change, the fitting process they use there, makes sure that you are getting the best club for your current game.

Agreed with the other comments regarding the weight screws, the heads now look much better than previous generations.

Driver & Fairway: :titleist-small: Titleist GT2 8 degree - :Fuji: Ventus TR Red & :titleist-small: TSR3 15 - :projectx: Hzrdus Black Gen 4 

Hybrid: :titleist-small: TSR2 21 degree - :projectx: Hzrdus Black Gen 4

Irons: :titleist-small: Titleist T200 3G (4) & T150 - (5-G) - :Nippon: Modus 105

Wedges: :vokey-small: Vokey SM9 54, and 58

Putter: :cameron-small: Cameron Phantom X 5 

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 & :maxfli: Maxfli Tour

Link to Motocaddy M7 w/Remote Trolley & Bag Review

I wouldn’t play them if you gave them to me for free. I am sure they are nice, but I am one of those old farts that sees all the “Bros” show up with every single thing having PXG on it and I cannot help but laugh my @$& off at them all when they have to hand over the cash at the 19th hole. 

Driver = Ping G430

Fairway Woods = Callaway Paradym 5 wood & Paradym X 7 wood

Irons = Callaway Apex 5 iron through PW

Wedges = Taylor Made Hi-Toe 52, 56 and 60 degree

Putter = Lab Golf Mezzi.1 Max

Loud, crass marketing and expensive. Well, that's what I thought when I returned to golf in '21/'22 and started seeing their adverts. As a reserved Brit, that side of PXG was off-putting and made it a bit of a joke, to be avoided. I saw plenty of mocking social media content doing impressions of Bob Parsons, like the Country Club Adjacent guys.

Since then my stance has softened significantly. I've heard a lot of good things about PXG in this forum and through friends, and I really like how they treat veterans (I work with a ton of vets and active service here and overseas). I still haven't ventured into a PXG store for a fitting or to test their driver challenge but I wouldn't ignore PXG clubs entirely. I'm not a fan of how the screws in the irons look, but I understand their purpose and as an engineer I appreciate how many aspects of clubs the fitting process addresses. Maybe one day I'll go for a fitting and give them a try.

Edited by Indy_Oz

2024 WITB:

Driver::callaway-logo-1: Ai Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 Max 9* (@8*) w. Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X //or// stock Denali 60g 6.5

FW woods: :titleist-small:TSR2+ 13* '2W' w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X & TSR2 21* 7W w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X

Hybrid: :taylormade-small:Stealth+ 3H (@18*) w. Project X Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 80/6.5

Irons: :taylormade-small: 5i-PW: '17 P790 w. KBS Tour C-Taper Lite 115X (Currently Testing: :taylormade-small: 4i-PW: 2024 P770 w. Project X T Rifle 6.0 (+1/4"))

Wedges: :taylormade-small: 50/09 MG4; 56/12 MG4TW Raw; :vokey-small:SM9 60/04L

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X7 w. GolfPride Reverse Taper Pistol Med grip

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x // Maxfli Tour X

Other: :Arccos:. Gogogo Sport V-Pro rangefinder;  :Ogio: Woode Hybrid Stand Bag; :BagBoy: Nitron push cart.

2024 Tests:

"...pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space, 'cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!"- Eric Idle

PXG is an interesting one for me - they've always screamed MURICA!!!! at the top of their lungs and so we've not seen them much in Australia. That changed about a year or so now and I've been seeing them pop up in clubs around Aus offering demos and fittings. I'd not done much research into them given they were tough to get but had often seen some good feedback if they were a bit pricey for their offering. The funky designs on clubs like the Sugar Daddy wedges stood out from the crowd and polarised a lot but certainly didn't detract from them seeming to gain more attention and market share. Hey - you have to stand out to be noticed!

I've now got a chap that I play with regularly who games their Black Ops driver and it seems to pack a wallop - I have hit it a few times and can't quite use it to the same potential as him but is a lovely club. I plan to attend a demo next time they're around Sydney as I start to look around for new irons in the next 6 months or so... definitely interested in what people think who may play their clubs currently. 

:callaway-small: Callaway X 416
:mizuno-small: Hybrid 19° - JPX850
:cobra-small: Baffler 23° Hybrid
:mizuno-small: Irons - MPH4 5-PW
:vokey-small:SM7 54°
:cleveland-small:RTX Zipcore Full-Face 50° & 58°
RUNNER Mallet putter  

(Ignore this... for some reason my comment repeated and I can't see how to delete it 🤷‍♂️🤣)

Edited by Indy_Oz

2024 WITB:

Driver::callaway-logo-1: Ai Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 Max 9* (@8*) w. Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X //or// stock Denali 60g 6.5

FW woods: :titleist-small:TSR2+ 13* '2W' w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X & TSR2 21* 7W w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X

Hybrid: :taylormade-small:Stealth+ 3H (@18*) w. Project X Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 80/6.5

Irons: :taylormade-small: 5i-PW: '17 P790 w. KBS Tour C-Taper Lite 115X (Currently Testing: :taylormade-small: 4i-PW: 2024 P770 w. Project X T Rifle 6.0 (+1/4"))

Wedges: :taylormade-small: 50/09 MG4; 56/12 MG4TW Raw; :vokey-small:SM9 60/04L

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X7 w. GolfPride Reverse Taper Pistol Med grip

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x // Maxfli Tour X

Other: :Arccos:. Gogogo Sport V-Pro rangefinder;  :Ogio: Woode Hybrid Stand Bag; :BagBoy: Nitron push cart.

2024 Tests:

"...pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space, 'cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!"- Eric Idle

One more thing ‘positive’ about the brand.  The original PXG driver that I had was the best sounding driver I’ve ever hit.  Not the the best performer, but man… it sounded like a persimmon and I loved it…

that is all.

Driver: Callway Rogue St Triple Diamond 9*

2 HY: Mizuno STZ 230 16* (set to 13.75)

2 Iron: Taylormade UDI 17*

Irons: 2019 Titleist T100S 3-PW

Wedges: Vokey SM6 54* and SM9 48* / Taylormade MG3 TW 56*

Putter: PING Anser 

Ball: Pro V1

Bag: Jones 

Having worked for them I can probably share information that most would not know or have available to them... The running joke amongst employees at the corporate level and the store fronts that the best they ever made were the Gen 1's and I say this because the owner is well known for being a master marketer... Once he had the public believing that it was high end he spent most of his time finding ways to make them at a more affordable clip so he could extend the margins... PXG is the reason why all of your clubs now are over priced... It was a permission slip for all companies to charge more shamelessly... The owner is an incredible Business man but the clubs are just like most others nothing special IMO...

6'1" 212lbs

Titleist GT3 9* Tensei 1K Black 65X  45" @D3 (Swing weight = SW)

Titleist GT3 16.5* Tensei 1K Black 75X  43" @D3 SW

Callaway Apex UW 21* Speeder 757 Tour Spec X 41" @D3 SW

TaylorMade P760 (4I-9I) KBS TGI 100 1/2" over 1* flat @D4 SW 

TaylorMade MG4 (47, 51) KBS TGI 110 SSx2 1/2" over 1* flat @D4 SW

TaylorMade MG4 TW (55, 59) KBS TGI 110 SSx2 1/2" over 1.5* flat @D5 SW

Titleist Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport+ KBS CT Putter Shaft @D5 SW

I use the 0311 Gen 5 Driver with an 80 g shaft...

The sound and feel is great, the sweet spot is fine, and the forgiveness is about average in the market. I do love the simple design and aesthetic!

Driver: PXG Gen 5 0311 9DGR 75G S Ventus

3+ Wood: Wilson D9 13DGR 70G S Ventus

3H Fairway: Wilson D9 19.5 DGR 70 S Ventus

Irons: Taylormade r7 CGB Max 4-P

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 6 full face 50, 54, 58

Putter: Cleveland 11 Soft Milled Single Bend

Welp!! PXG just added teachers to its Heroes program. Awesome move

Chux Bag o' Magic:

:PXG: Black Ops 10.5°

:PXG: 0317X Proto Hybrids (17°/19°)

:PXG: 0211 XCor 2021 Irons (5-PW)

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 46° wedge

:callaway-small: Opus Platinum Blue 53º S Grind and 58º Z Grind

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 custom broomstick

:callaway-small: Chrome Tour ballz

Tech: Garmin R10/Galaxy Watch 5 Pro Golf Edition

---Opus Platinum Forum Testing Review---

9 hours ago, Chux13 said:

Welp!! PXG just added teachers to its Heroes program. Awesome move

Wow! Now that might convince me to go back for another fitting one day!

Every Second Counts!

I've been playing PXG clubs for the last 3 years. I went to a fitting for their Gen4 stuff and was really impressed by how much the fitter seemed to care about me getting the best experience as opposed to just pushing me to buy something.

I have since bought another set and alternate back and forth between those Gen4 irons, and a set of 0317ST irons.  I also have PXG hybrids which have been very nice since I do not like playing long irons on most courses.

Being a lefty it's also helpful since they are one of the only brands that offers their entire lineup in Left and Right handed, most brands only offer their entry level stuff in lefty.

Every Second Counts!

I see a lot of PXG users in the VGA and often around here in Phoenix as they are local.  I've been to two of their challenges.  Last year's driver and this year's iron.  They did perform a tiny bit better than my current set but it didn't make sense to upgrade yet.  Both experiences were EXCELLENT though and the professionalism of the staff was beyond compare and with zero pressure to buy.  I would definitely recommend at least giving them a try if you are in the market for new clubs

Sim2 MaxD, Cobra F7 3W, Ping G400 5W, Ping G425 7W, Ping G410 5-UW, Volkey SM-9 54,58, Taylormade Spider Tour (this changes periodically)

That may or may not be good or bad.

1 hour ago, RetiredBoomer said:

I've not swung a PXG club, but I don't find the cosmetic appearance pleasing.

I could thus be missing out on something good.

Do yourself a favor and go to a fitting. You have nothing to lose but time .  These new irons/shafts (gen7/accra) have been a great addition for me.  

i arrived to pxg from playing a more traditional mizuno iron. a store opened really close to my home so made the fitting for irons and later woods.

made the switch to a bulky iron, strong lofted and graphite and i have been having a ton of fun with them, they flight high and long, gen 5s. i got them on an amazing deal $

i was playing driver, 3 wood and hybrid from them for a while too but have moved on to callaway on woods

disappointed in the fitting experience for the putter so never really entertain a switch

i just dont like the clothes at all and never really liked they golf bags either

my experience with them has been extremely good and would recommend them if you are in the market for irons specially 

Callaway Ai Smoke Driver
Callaway Ai Smoke 3 Wood 
Callaway Ai Smoke 5 Wood
PXG Irons Gen 5 0311 XP 4 - PW 
Titleist Vokey Wedges SM8 46*, 52* & 56*  
Scotty Cameron - Super Select Squareback 2 Moto 
Vice Pro Plus 

NIKE  Air Sport Bag

I have a lot of respect for PXG. They fully support our military servicemembers, veterans, first responders, and now teachers through their Heroes program. What's not to like about giving these people first access to new releases and discounts on everything they sell. Plus the performance of their clubs are top notch! I think they can be a little over the top with their marketing, sometimes. I believe their claims about the PXG golf balls have been a bit exaggerated and their apparel line is way too expensive, even with the heroes discount.

Screenshot_20241011_161347_Gmail.jpg.90267225a3de2f137237d12c489cb69f.jpg

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Max LS

3 Wood: :PXG: Gen 5 0311XF 

Hybrid: :PXG: Gen 5 0311 XF 22 degree

Irons: :PXG: 2022 XCOR2 0211 5-GW

Wedges: :taylormade-small: R Series 54° & 60°

Putter: :odyssey-small:

2023 Test: ⌚Garmin Approach S70 47mm

You have to commend a company that supports military personnel, first responders, and now teachers (me) with discounts. It’s fantastic to see this! And yes, I qualify! In all seriousness, left-handed golfers often struggle to find suitable equipment, but PXG stands out as one of the few companies that truly caters to us. That’s why I’m planning to get fit and buy PXG irons when I make my purchase in the new year!

PXG 0211

15* Taylormade Sim 2 max

18* hybrid (Taylormade)

22* hybrid (Adams)

25* hybrid (Tour edge)

irons - Callaway Big Bertha 2002 (It's a long story!)

Putter - Odyssey AI one 2 ball DB 35¨

On 10/7/2024 at 6:46 PM, Aron said:

I love PXG. When I was getting into golf, I stopped at our local store because it was less than 1/2 mile from Golf Galaxy. I had never hit anything other than PING at that point. PXG let me hit their Gen 6's and they felt great. So, I asked the woman working there, why should I choose PXG over any other company? Her response was 'Because we are right here if you need anything. You can buy from big box stores or whatever, but once you pay that it.' A month later I went for a fitting and bought some clubs. A month after that, the clubs went on sale. So, I contacted PXG asking if I could be reimbursed or something having recently purchasing clubs. They didn't give me money back, but they gave me store credit equal to the difference. A year later, I was looking at new clubs because PXG wasn't performing how I had hoped. So, I started trying other clubs and was considering New Level irons. I ended up going back to PXG and speaking with them about the issues I had with my clubs. We scheduled a complimentary spec check and got the clubs performing to my expectations. Additionally, they gave me a free box of their new balls.

Long story short. I have had great customer service experiences with PXG and for that, they have earned my loyalty and money. 

This story makes me want to go try PXG.  Excellent customer service is worth a ton.  That you took you clubs back and they "fixed" them says a lot, esp for no charge.  

Cleveland TA-3 Forged - 4-9i
Cleveland 588 RTG - PW, GW
Mizuno T24 - SW
Mizuno Tzoid 9degree driver
Adams Assault 13degree 3w
Adams Tight Lies Tour 17 degree 5w
Adams Mission putter