Sign in to follow this  
whiskey golf

Custom Fit Putters

I was curious about custom fitting for putters and I wanted to know your experiences.

- Have you been fitted for a putter before?

- Has it made a big difference versus standard?

- Do you think it doesn't matter and it's more of feel?

For the average hack like myself, I feel my putting stoke is relatively consistent or at least the most consistent of any club in the bag. So it's probably the most accurately fit over time. I think having the loft and lie dialed in is essential. I had it done using both the Edel system and SAM lab.

I was curious about custom fitting for putters and I wanted to know your experiences.

Yes, I've been fit for a putter many times, but this is the one that stuck:

http://www.mygolfspy.com/bruce-rearick-putter-fitting/

It's a huge difference, and it absolutely matters.

Now, the caveat to those answers is that the fitting is good. I think, more than any other club, putter fitting is extremely hit or miss with lots of people selling a bunch of crap. Email Bruce if you want to really understand what's going on with your putting stroke.

Was fit for a putter this year - feel as thought it definitely helped make my stroke more consistent. My pro used the Coutour fitting method. He suggested several different putters that would fit, but I decided to go with the Coutour Gullane - played a couple of rounds with a demo and really liked the results.

Matt's statement above is spot on - go to a fitter you trust.

Get fit and know what you like visually. Hopefully they match up...

Then don't play a different putter every round :lol:

Of you want a full blown custom, Prototype Putters are as affordable as it comes and fully customizable. Course you need to know your specs, but I'm ordering one soon after he checks on a few things. He sells them on EBay as well as having his own site. I'd go through his site if you want a custom. You won't beat the price for a custom. Granted they're cast heads in China and then he machines and customizes them for you, but everyone I've talked to has liked theirs.

I was fit for a putter last spring - essentially we were able to work with my putter because it was the proper lie, we shortened it an inch and a half and gave me a grip that fit my hands much better -

It has made a very big difference - My 50/50 spot moved back about a foot, I averaged fewer putts per round, really I putted better in any measurable way.

In fact I was very sick last summer and able to come back on play good golf simply because I putted so well - I lost about 20 yards for most of the summer and shot the same scores or lower than the past few years once I was well enough to play regularly.

Yes, I have been fit to an extent by the same person that GolfSpy Matt wrote the article about. I found out by trial and error mostly and a confirmation that I had a putter style I liked that fit my stroke well. Anything with a little toe hang, full shaft offset. Scotty Cameron Newport 2 (carbon), SeeMore DB4 (carbon), YES! Callie-f (Carbon) are three putters I currently own. I have tried any number of styles of putters put always end up going back to that style of putter.

Yes, knowing exactly what length, grip size, style of head you need to match your stroke the best leads to a more consistent set-up and repeatable stroke. Really it's on you to just practice getting the ball on line after the equipment is out of the way. Bruce (Burnt Edges Consulting) uses a drill named "coin drill" you just put a coin 6in in front of the ball and learn to start the ball over the dead center of the coin with different length strokes, any misses you know are you and not a improper fit putter.

I think I answered your third question with my above statements, it does matter to both your confidence and ability to repeatably make the same stroke. A putters length and lie angle should act like a yard stick to always get into the same posture. Your posture will dictate the amount of arc in the stroke. The amount of arc you have in the stroke dictates the style of putter you should have. At least that is what I have learned talking to Bruce as a student plus reading his blog, plus reading his posts on puttertalk.