Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Callaway X Hot Stand Bag -- REVIEW

GolfSpy Dave

• SPY VIP

Callaway X Hot Stand Bag

An Official MyGolfSpy.com Review

left full.jpg

New Year; New Gear

One of the craziest things about the golf industry is the annual reset that comes when new gear launches. The new stuff is touted at the latest and greatest, while last year's “greatest” gets banished to the discount rack, where companies hope that it will soon be forgotten about. It would almost be refreshing to have a company say “Meh, last year's gear was pretty awesome, so we are going with it again”. I'm not talking about a two-year product cycle, but rather having the current product make another cycle. This is likely a recipe for company suicide, or at best, very cranky shareholders. Plus the PGA show would suck if it was all last year's gear. You would just have to check out Natalie Gulbis and Blair O'Neal instead, and how long could one really do that for? OK, so maybe this marketing plan does have an upside.

right side.jpg

So where I am I going with this random rant? Straight into today's golf bag, of course! Those of you who read my Callaway Stand Bag Battle last year may be doing a bit of a double-take. If you are thinking that the X Hot Stand Bag looks quite a bit like the RAZR bag from that review you are correct in your thinking. This year, Callaway has taken this bag and synced the color schemes and branding to the RAZR and also the X Hot lines. The RAZR version sports the black and green colors found on this year's RAZR Fit Xtreme line (unless you ordered one in purple like this kid...). This version matches the palate of the X Hot line. So is the update for 2013 mainly cosmetic? I think that is a fair assessment, though there is a IMO sweet new upgrade (spoilers!!!). Regardless, since many of you may have missed that last review, I thought we could do a bit of a reset. Why not? It's a well-designed, slightly improved, bag that deserves a second look. I ever brought you new perty pictures...

STYLE

One of the big differences this year with the X Hot Stand Bag vs. the RAZR bag of 2012 is that this bag only comes in white. You can get the RAZR bag in black and green (duh, just said that...), but that bag says RAZR, not X Hot. Does this matter to you? Are you All's Gotta Match Dude? Don't feel bad, I'm pretty much that dude. I like the colors to match. I think that the logo would probably need to match for me as well. What do I do when my Razr Fit Xtreme driver arrives? Can I put that in an X Hot bag? Sigh, I got 99 problems...

leg graphic.jpg

Outside of that, I still like the looks of the X Hot bag. The colors play well together, as do the graphics. While some companies push the boldness envelop with exotic colors, Callaway has made a visual standout without resorting rave-vomit-esque tones. Lines and graphics are the rule here. If you need more colors though, you will have to go and ask Madonna if she has seen Molly.

Score: 18/20

strap vent.jpg

COMFORT

I'm going to quote myself here a bit: The shoulder straps are significantly padded and feature Callaway's Comfort Tech design. Basically, the straps have been designed to maximize breathability while maintaining comfort. The straps on the X Hot Stand Bag are the same comfortable ones on that RAZR. They are very nice, and well vented. Truly this is an “if it ain't broke” situation for this bag. The back pad is also very comfortable, once you adjust the straps into correct orientation. This is definitely at the larger end of the carry bag spectrum though, and so you will feel its bulk when you carry. This is especially true if you are more accustomed to a small/light bag. One warning to that extent: DO NOT FILL UP ALL OF THE POCKETS WITH GEAR IF YOU PLAN TO CARRY IT! This thing has pockets for days (OK, “for days” = 11 Pockets). Just count the zipper pulls in this photo...

pockets 2.jpg

Score: 16/20

DESIGN AND QUALITY

Here is the design rundown:

• 10”, 14-way top with an integrated handle and 3 full-length dividers
  • 6 pounds
  • Redesigned lightweight molded base maintains full contact with ground when stand is activated
  • Dual molded handle on spine
  • Callaway comfort tech 4-point strap
  • Foam hip pad for better ventilation
  • 11 pockets, including a large apparel pocket, a waterproof pocket, a hidden valuables pocket and an insulated water bottle pocket
  • Custom towel/glove holder ring
  • Umbrella holder
  • Rain hood

top.jpg

The material is very thick and sturdy, definitely a season or three in this one. The pockets are ample and well positioned. The bag still has my favorite pocket that I raved about in the RAZR. I truly LOVE the pocket at the base of the carry handle. That's right, I am in love with a pocket. Oh you sexy pocket you. It is perfect for a few balls, tees, bottle opener, and other vital junk that you need during play. Perfect location and size. That pocket still rules.

ball pocket.jpg

Though this bag does not have an insulated pocket capable of icing down your covert malty products, it does have a sweet insulated water bottle sleeve. By water bottle, I of course mean 22 oz bottle of good beer, represented in this photo by Firestone Walker's Wookie Jack Black IPA (this wookie definitely wins). Anyway, it's still a well-made bag.

22pocket.jpg

Score: 18/20

front2.jpg

PLAYING WITH THE BAG – GENERAL IMPRESSIONS

Here are some quick hits:

• One of my complaints with the RAZR bag was the position of the handle at the base: Although putting the bag in the trunk is not a real “play” characteristic, the handle near the base of the RAZR bag is not ergonomically positioned. Every time I go to put the bag away, I have to reach under to pocket to get to the handle on the base. Constructing the handle into the lower pocket on the Hyper-Lite was a much better move. Guess what? The base has been redesigned and the handle is now on the bottom pocket. That's right. Whose ideas are golden? This kid's ideas.
  • The 14-way top has nice and wide openings, but there is still a bit of grip tangle now and then. You can stuff more than 14 clubs into the slots though, or the ball retriever if that's your 15th club.
  • Great pockets
  • Very stable, though the legs don't retract all the way into the bag when you carry it. Not sure why...

bottom handle.jpg

The re-designed lower pocket on the X Hot Stand Bag earns it one more point in this category than its RAZR predecessor. See that, there is performance over paint.

Score: 20/20

PLAYING WITH THE BAG – VERSATILITY

Can you push, carry, or ride with the X Hot? Yep. Things to know though:

• This is a big bag to carry. If that is your main plan of attack, go with a lighter and smaller bag. If you occasionally go for walks, especially nine hole walks, this bag will do you right.

• Pushcart play is great with the X Hot. It fits very nicely into the Clicgear and the top's angle promotes easy access.

• The removal of the hard plastic handle from the bottom actually improves riding cart fit. The pusher/rider will really like this bag.

Score: 19/20

FINAL SCORE: 91/100

Summary

You all thought it was just a new logo on the X Hot Stand Bag. In all fairness, that's most of what went on this year. The changes in the base and the lower handle are significant though. Callaway had a really nice golf bag in last year's RAZR, why would they just throw out that design? I was very encouraged about Callaway's #fiveyearwar plan when I realized that the X Hot was not just a rebrand. Keep what works; improve what needs to be improved. Well done. Anyway, if you have last year's bag, stay with it. I bet it is still in great condition and that it will make it through this season no problem. If you are looking for a new bag, and you push and ride most of the time, check this bag out. We all know that All's Gotta Match Dude has already bought the bag to match his new Cally clubs.

bag logo.jpg

base.jpg

foot.jpg

pockets.jpg

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Archived