Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Battle of the Callaway Stand Bags

GolfSpy Dave

• SPY VIP

Battle of the Callaway Stand Bags

An Official MyGolfSpy.com Review

It's Not Just a Review, It's a BATTLE!

So the 2012 season is getting underway and odds are you need a new golf bag. Don't give me the “this duct tape will hold fine for another season” line. It's a new season. You have great optimism about your 2012 golf game. Don't start your next round by taking that one-legged, “custom ventilated”, overtly-modified-one-way-top nasty bag out of your trunk. Your game deserves a nice bag. If nothing else you will be able to think, “that's a good looking bag” as you hunt through its pockets for a provisional.

Today we will be checking out the Callaway Hyper-Lite 4.5 and RAZR stand bags. Rather that having each come in as a separate review, I thought it would be more interesting to put them up against each other. A BATTLE OF THE BAGS, if you will. What are the advantages of one versus the other? What do you sacrifice for extra features? Is one better than the other for the golfer who carries, pushes, or rides?

DSC_0053.jpgDSC_0013.jpg

LET THE BATTLE BEGIN!

Category 1: STYLE

When it comes to golf gear, I am a pretty shallow guy. Something has to look good for me to use it on the course. It still has to work, of course, but I don't think it is too much to ask for something that looks good and performs. Let's check out the contestants visual strengths:

Hyper-Lite 4.5

DSC_0054.jpg

DSC_0055.jpg

This bag is a solid contender in the aesthetics department. The good looks start right with the color offerings. At one end of the spectrum, you have the subtle blue and black bags while at the other, you have the white, the pink, and this bold yellow beauty. The accent colors of the various bags actually provide a nice accent to the main color. Some bags out there have more of a “thrown darts” type of color scheme that can lead to confusion, nausea, and possibly blindness (undocumented at time of publication). This Callaway bag looks nothing but good. Even the Callaway logo, although still large, doesn't overpower the bag.

RAZR

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

The RAZR bag is larger than the Hyper-Lite 4.5, but not as much as it looks like in the photos on the Callaway website. This bag only comes in three different colors, black, white, and red. I like the look of the black and red, but something is just a bit off for me with the white. I think that the sheer number of black likes on the white background is visually confusing a bit. Personally, I have nothing against white bags. My bag all last year was a white Callaway Hyper-Lite 4.5 (bias spoiler alert). Anyway, I do like the look of the red version of the bag. There is nothing ninja about this bag. Big bold redness all the way. Wallflowers move along please.

Score: 20 to 18 in favor of the Hyper-Lite 4.5. Attractiveness through the entire line edges out the RAZR.

Category 2: COMFORT

Hyper-Lite 4.5

DSC_0060.jpg

DSC_0051.jpg

This bag feels great on the back. The straps are easily adjustable, securing the bag as you lug it around. The pad in the back provides comfort, but is constructed in a way that your back retains ventilation. Many pockets are easy to reach while wearing the bag, most importantly the water bottle pocket, although that pocket is a bit vexing in other ways. (That's called foreshadowing.)

RAZR

DSC_0003.jpg

As a larger bag, the extra bulk of the RAZR was not unexpected. The shoulder straps are significantly padded and feature Callaway's Comfort Tech design. Basically, the straps have been designed to maximize breathability while maintaining comfort. Good tag line there. :) The straps feature multiple air cavities in the foam and a mesh fabric covering. The straps are comfortable, but I found it more difficult to get the RAZR straps into the optimum comfort position than I did with the Hyper-Lite 4.5. I think that this may be a less ideal shape of the bag relative to my body. The bag also has more structure than the Hyper-Lite and this may impact the “softness” as it rests on your back. I also could really feel the extra three pounds of weight associated with the RAZR bag, placing it at a disadvantage compared to the Hyper-Lite 4.5 in the carrying comfort realm.

Score: 20 to 16 in favor of the Hyper-Lite 4.5. The RAZR is larger and heavier than the Hyper-Lite 4.5.

Category 3: DESIGN AND QUALITY

Hyper-Lite 4.5

DSC_0056.jpg

DSC_0062.jpg

DSC_0064.jpg

DSC_0068.jpg

Based upon my play with this bag last season, I can confidently report that this is a well-built bag. As I mentioned before, I played the white version last year. Nothing broke, ripped, frayed, separated, and etc. Even the bright white color was very resistant to dirt. Does it still have that first round glow? No, but for a white bag that made it through 50+ rounds last year it looks great. The yellow should hold up even better. My only design issue with this bag is the position of the water bottle pocket. The space for the water bottle cuts into the one large pocket that is accessible as you walk. Hard to find that sandwich when the water bottle is in the way. If only there was a way to move the water bottle pocket toward the other end of the pocket.

RAZR

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0024b.jpg

Though I have fewer rounds-played with the RAZR bag, I think that it may be even sturdier than the Hyper-Lite 4.5. The fabric is a bit thicker, the zippers a bit larger, and so on. Construction wise, this bag may last generations rather than seasons. I like the position of the water bottle pocket, and the fact that it is insulated. (It's at the other end of the pocket.) Moreover, I truly LOVE the pocket at the base of the carry handle. That's right, I am in love with a pocket. Oh you sexy pocket you. It is perfect for a few balls, tees, bottle opener, and other vital junk that you need during play. Perfect location and size. You can look at these photos, but no leering or wolf-whistling.

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

My only complaint so far about the design of the RAZR is the Velcro strap that is supposed to keep the legs from extending. The legs of this heavy beast break through that strap like a big red jug of punch going through a wall. Replacing the Velcro with a strong snap or two would fix this issue.

DSC_0041.jpg

Score: 18 to 17 in favor of the RAZR. The RAZR design just edges out the Hyper-Lite 4.5. Who am I trying to kid...its the pocket. I :wub: the pocket.

Category 4: PLAYING WITH THE BAG – GENERAL IMPRESSIONS

Both bags work very well on the course so rather than separate the bags here; I'll just list some of their key play aspects.

• The old in and out is typically easy with both bags. I was surprised that the larger 14-way top in the RAZR did not really enhance this. In fact, I find that the clubs in the RAZR bag are more prone to sticking than the Hyper-Lite 4.5. This was surprising and a bit disappointing. Maybe the dividers need additional divisions.

• The RAZR definitely wins in the pocket battle. There are pockets everywhere, including pockets within pockets. Be careful though, if you fill them up this already heavier carry bag could become a real load to haul around. But there is this one pocket...

• Both bags have glove, towel, and tee holders in places that you think that they should be. No hunting.

• The legs on both bags extend right away and the bag remains up at numerous angles and wind speeds.

• Although putting the bag in the trunk is not a real “play” characteristic, the handle near the base of the RAZR bag is not ergonomically positioned. Every time I go to put the bag away, I have to reach under to pocket to get to the handle on the base. Constructing the handle into the lower pocket on the Hyper-Lite was a much better move.

Score: 19 to 19 draw. Both are strong, with some minor, in play, issues.

Category 5: PLAYING WITH THE BAG – VERSATILITY

I am a carry, push, and ride golfer. Primarily, I push, but the other modes of course exploration occur here and there. Ideally, I want a bag that works well in all three modes. Here is what I observed:

• Hyper-Lite 4.5 crushes the RAZR as a straight carry bag. No contest really. It is lighter and smaller. If you are only going to carry when you play, this is the bag for you. Unless you are a really big, strong dude and if so you just play what you want, sir.

• The RAZR is the superior pushcart bag. The internal structure of the RAZR allows it to resist compressing when the cart's straps are secured. If you are not careful with position, the straps can constrict the Hyper-Lite like a 19th century corset, locking your clubs into the bag. After paying attention to mounting, the Hyper-Lite does work well on the pushcart, and did for many rounds. The RAZR just does it better.

• On the riding cart, the RAZR again edges out the Hyper-Lite. The strap compressing the bag is again an issue for the Callaway Hyper-Lite 4.5, although it's footprint does fit a bit better into the bottom of the cart. If you are a dedicated rider, you should probably look past either one of these bags, but the RAZR is better for someone who occasionally rides their round.

• Both bags are great to take to the range. You can cram way more than fourteen clubs into them. This is helpful if you need to bring your Swinkey, Orange Whip, or half a dozen test putters.

DSC_0015.jpg

Score: 18 to 18 draw. The RAZR hits the wheel-using modes of play a bit more effectively than the Hyper-Lite 4.5, but gets crushed under the 4.5 lb boot of the Hyper-Lite when carried.

FINAL SCORE: Hyper-Lite 4.5 (94) to RAZR (89)

HYPER-LITE 4.5 IS THE VICTOR!!!

Summary

Ok so the whole battle idea is a little goofy. Both of these bags are excellent choices for someone looking for a new outfit for the golf clubs. The Hyper-Lite 4.5 really excels as a carry bag. While one could carry the RAZR, I would much rather use this as a pushcart bag that occasionally makes a round on the back or in a cart. Nice work Callaway. Coming next: The Cart Bag Reckoning!

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

It was a cart bag, but my wife got me a Callaway Cart bag last may for my birthday, I play almost every day and bring my clubs in every night, I am like that commercial where they use the baby monitor for the clubs. So my bag gets a lot of wear on it. Even the back color is sun bleached after a year. Well, she bought me a new Callaway 14 slots and putter well, last year that had a hard plastic separator on the top. and it caused a wear spot on all my graphite shafts. Very disappointing. I sold it to my neighbor and bought two used Titleist Bags off of ebay. My wife is not happy about it but it caused damage to the shafts. This has not happened before or since. But I hated it.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Again, another really fun review to read by GSD (and of course the substance is detailed, informative, helpful, and straight-shooting; the MGS way). :D

I too say "Hail to the Victor!!!"

Except I'm bagging the RAZR baby! :P

Invictus.

Exitus acta probat.

Bona fide.

• SPY VIP

Thanks for the feedback guys. I am using the RAZR at this point as I and using my Clicgear and I seem to be packing tons of jackets and stuff for winter play.

How much scarier is Lee Haney compared to Hank Haney? (did you find the Easter Eggs in the review?)

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Archived