Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Epic conspiracy/prediction/speculation about Nike/Tmag/Cally

BestGrips.com

Anyone see the latest Golf Digest Stix issue?  Story on Cally's year-end numbers -- only lost $11 million for 2013 - huge improvement over 2011/12.  Overall sales were up 14% for the year, and they're anticipating another jump in 2014.  Looks like the window at buying them at a bargain price may be closing...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's with the callaway iron love? Weakest part of their lineup (excluding hybrids, that belongs to Adams).

Have you hit the apex pro's. They are sweet. 

For me the Callaway love is about no weaknesses top to bottom. I can get the Alpha and do pretty much the same thing as the SLDR. Their fairway woods and hybrids are great. The Apex's are sweet. and you yourself spoke about the mack daddy 2 love. 

The bottom line though is that if you are well fit you could get a really sweet set of sticks from just about anyone. I'd take TMag, Cally, Titleist, Ping, Adams, or Mizuno and be very happy. I don't really care for cobra or NIKE but they'd probably be fine too.

It's all about the short game, unless you can't keep it in play!

What's in my Bag:
Driver: Adams Speedline Super LS 10.5 with Excalibur T7+ tour stiff shaft
3 Wood: Adams Speedline Super LS 13 degree with Excalibur TFW Tour stiff shaft
Hybrid: Nickent 6DT 19 degree Aldilla Voodoo NV Stiff shaft
Irons: 4-9 KZG Tour Evolution with Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 tour 120 x flex shafts
Wedges:49 degree Dave Pelz wedge with a Nippon N.S. Pro Modus tour 120 x flex shaft. 54,64 Dave Pelz wedges with Rifle spinner shafts 59 Degree Scor wedge with rifle spinner shaft.
Putter: Bentinardi Ben Hogan Big Ben Center shafted 33 inches with best grips custom pistol putter grip.

Ball: Titleist Pro V1X, Callaway Hex Chrome +

Have you hit the apex pro's. They are sweet. 

For me the Callaway love is about no weaknesses top to bottom. I can get the Alpha and do pretty much the same thing as the SLDR. Their fairway woods and hybrids are great. The Apex's are sweet. and you yourself spoke about the mack daddy 2 love. 

The bottom line though is that if you are well fit you could get a really sweet set of sticks from just about anyone. I'd take TMag, Cally, Titleist, Ping, Adams, or Mizuno and be very happy. I don't really care for cobra or NIKE but they'd probably be fine too.

Have you hit the alpha? 

IMO, their irons have never been competitive, their hybrid category has had one winner in a long line of failures, and the same goes for the fairways. They have done a good job of creating a false image though, and it's the only thing keeping them in the game.

The mack daddy love is solely based on Roger Cleveland's designs. 

@bestgrips   @puttershoes

Best Grips is a second generation family business specializing in golf grips! We are the home of the only made in the USA (Texas to be specific) genuine leather golf grips and head covers. No fancy words, pictures or endorsements with BestGrips.com, just the best performing golf grips money can buy!

Check out the new site (www.bestgrips.com)!
Use "golfspy" for free shipping on all U.S. orders over $50!

What's in my BG custom club glove staff bag? Click here.

Current ball of choice: 'Stones three three zero.

Have you hit the alpha? 

IMO, their irons have never been competitive, their hybrid category has had one winner in a long line of failures, and the same goes for the fairways. They have done a good job of creating a false image though, and it's the only thing keeping them in the game.

Twice I have travel and played golf and used rental clubs that were the latest and greatest Callaway clubs.  These were clubs that I would not have bought, mainly because I was harboring ill feelings because the Hogan deal 10 years earlier, and I have to say, the club's performance left nothing to be desired,  It was the Razr X Pro's and Razr Fits.  These clubs were pretty awesome.  Did I buy any?  No, because my personal bias.  But I am finally getting over that. 

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I've always been convinced nike were going to become number 1. They're too big not to was my theory. But they keep screwing up, and I'm not so convinced anymore. Product is good, but marketing has been awful. And Nike are a marketing company! The play in the now campaign means nothing to anyone. They keep failing to leverage the brand power they have, and they've been going long enough now that I think they should have made bigger inroads then they have.

I agree for nike to make a real play for domination they should try to buy the driver count. And the putter count.

Callaway are on the right tracks. I think they will emerge a strong number two again and maybe even regain number 1 in Europe where they are traditionally strong.

The company that is in free fall is Cleveland. They're in an uncontrollable tailspin. Product is uninspiring and they need to throw some budget at the situation.

Adams will become stronger and stronger under tmag. Everyone worried about quality of

Product but if anything this years designs are their best ever. And outside of the US they have so much room for growth.

Have you hit the alpha? 

No I have not hit the Alpha but I am confident that if Phil is playing it it has to be just as good as the SLDR or he would have kept playing it. I really like the Apex Pros. I think their woods are good. I liked your Xhot that you were playing last year. I can suck with just about any fairway wood anyway. This years hybrids look really good. They have some that have little to no offset. I also like the wedges. Taylormade would be a close second. If the new tour preferred wedges are good I could probably go with them.   

It's all about the short game, unless you can't keep it in play!

What's in my Bag:
Driver: Adams Speedline Super LS 10.5 with Excalibur T7+ tour stiff shaft
3 Wood: Adams Speedline Super LS 13 degree with Excalibur TFW Tour stiff shaft
Hybrid: Nickent 6DT 19 degree Aldilla Voodoo NV Stiff shaft
Irons: 4-9 KZG Tour Evolution with Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 tour 120 x flex shafts
Wedges:49 degree Dave Pelz wedge with a Nippon N.S. Pro Modus tour 120 x flex shaft. 54,64 Dave Pelz wedges with Rifle spinner shafts 59 Degree Scor wedge with rifle spinner shaft.
Putter: Bentinardi Ben Hogan Big Ben Center shafted 33 inches with best grips custom pistol putter grip.

Ball: Titleist Pro V1X, Callaway Hex Chrome +

No I have not hit the Alpha but I am confident that if Phil is playing it it has to be just as good as the SLDR or he would have kept playing it. I really like the Apex Pros. I think their woods are good. I liked your Xhot that you were playing last year. I can suck with just about any fairway wood anyway. This years hybrids look really good. They have some that have little to no offset. I also like the wedges. Taylormade would be a close second. If the new tour preferred wedges are good I could probably go with them.   

Let me preface with saying that no one makes sub par clubs, even Cleveland. However, I don't think that many big guys can eat at the buffet table anymore. After all, its getting more competitive and the guy at the top is getting further and further away.

The Alpha is late to the game and Callaway is already in a tight spot. It is going to have to kick some major butt to beat the SLDR in the distance category at least. But since they are releasing a club to compete with a club TM released last year, what happens when TM unveils the SLDR 2 and the Alpha is still sitting there at $500, while the SLDR sits next to it at $300? 

The 3 deep is an awesome club. My favorite FW ever, btw

As far as Phil goes, he plays everything. He changes his grips out between tournaments. He also won last year without a driver. I hope they don't plan on putting everything on him, because he will be experimenting almost immediately something new is released.

T has suggested that they may try and create a false sense of demand with limited supply and the high cost. That is a really dangerous game to play. With the internet and twitter, you can't keep things like that as secret as you could in the days of Golf Digest and the telegram. Heck, spend 5 minutes on Callaway's financial records (they are public) and you can tell they are a little clenching right now.

Best Grips is a second generation family business specializing in golf grips! We are the home of the only made in the USA (Texas to be specific) genuine leather golf grips and head covers. No fancy words, pictures or endorsements with BestGrips.com, just the best performing golf grips money can buy!

I have to be a dissenter on this one. I don't know the market reports, but TM and Callaway have always been neck and neck to me. Nike never marketed the game improvement as much, so they struggled, and will continue to struggle until they embrace the average/novice players. But TM and Callaway always marketed the "next big thing" with new drivers and irons built for everyone from a scratch to a +30 consumer.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

I have to be a dissenter on this one. I don't know the market reports, but TM and Callaway have always been neck and neck to me. Nike never marketed the game improvement as much, so they struggled, and will continue to struggle until they embrace the average/novice players. But TM and Callaway always marketed the "next big thing" with new drivers and irons built for everyone from a scratch to a +30 consumer.

I agree with that 100%. Callaway is definitely a something for everyone kind of company. But when you make bold moves and they backfire, well that's like going double or nothing and losing with nothing left to bet.

True, but I don't think they have nothing left to bet.....they'll be fine.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

True, but I don't think they have nothing left to bet.....they'll be fine.

Big companies like that always seem to find a way to make it through rough patches.

UnderArmour is a long way from trying te golf market cause the cash flow isn't there

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

UnderArmour is a long way from trying te golf market cause the cash flow isn't there

Any word on when their golf shoes release? I love their bball shoes.

Golf is a shrinking market, and you have artificial constraints (COR, etc) placed on the products that can be marketed. I think most large companies could find other product areas that have much more potential for a positive return on investment - compared to investing in a golf company. I just don't see the return for Nike or Adidas to worry too much about their golf product lines. It's going to become like marketing clothing - it will be about what is in style and how things look. I think it's more likely that Nike is going to be more focused on expanding what they are doing with mobile devices and wearable technology than be too concerned about their golf clubs.

I'm more excited about envisioning things like Oakley being bought by Google and how that could impact golf and other sports. I've seen the huge explosion of HD video with the small GO video cameras... how cool would it be to integrate on the course video with GPS, automated scoring, etc in your Oakley sunglasses with google display technology? Nike already has the sensors in the shoes for tracking your workouts. I think the idea of putting sensors in everything, is where all the money is going to be made. There's going to be someone that pulls that off, and creates an entirely new golf experience with the use of technology, and they are going to be the ones generating huge profits. Everyone will want the new software upgrade for their driver or whatever so they can get more accurate data...   Then again... maybe I've been watching too much Sci Fi   :-D

:callaway-small: GBB Epic 10.5&deg - Recoil ES 450 regular

:callaway-small: mini 1.5 14° - Recoil ES 450 regular

:callaway-small: XR OS 16 Hybrid (3-5) - Fubuki AT 55/60 regular shafts

:callaway-small: Apex (6-PW) - Recoil 65 F3 regular shafts 1°flat

:callaway-small: MD4 Tour Chrome wedges (50W/54S/58C) - S200 1°flat

:scotty-small: Futura X 34" - Superstroke Slim 3.0

I'm more excited about envisioning things like Oakley being bought by Google and how that could impact golf and other sports. I've seen the huge explosion of HD video with the small GO video cameras... how cool would it be to integrate on the course video with GPS, automated scoring, etc in your Oakley sunglasses with google display technology? Nike already has the sensors in the shoes for tracking your workouts. I think the idea of putting sensors in everything, is where all the money is going to be made. There's going to be someone that pulls that off, and creates an entirely new golf experience with the use of technology, and they are going to be the ones generating huge profits. Everyone will want the new software upgrade for their driver or whatever so they can get more accurate data...   Then again... maybe I've been watching too much Sci Fi   :-D

That is probably the coolest idea I've read on this blog/forum!

Golf is a shrinking market, and you have artificial constraints (COR, etc) placed on the products that can be marketed. I think most large companies could find other product areas that have much more potential for a positive return on investment - compared to investing in a golf company. I just don't see the return for Nike or Adidas to worry too much about their golf product lines. It's going to become like marketing clothing - it will be about what is in style and how things look. I think it's more likely that Nike is going to be more focused on expanding what they are doing with mobile devices and wearable technology than be too concerned about their golf clubs.

Agree with BG - very cool.  It's probably the reason Google paid something like 3 BILLION DOLLARS to buy the Nest thermostat…they find value in what we're up to...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I'm more excited about envisioning things like Oakley being bought by Google and how that could impact golf and other sports. I've seen the huge explosion of HD video with the small GO video cameras... how cool would it be to integrate on the course video with GPS, automated scoring, etc in your Oakley sunglasses with google display technology? Nike already has the sensors in the shoes for tracking your workouts. I think the idea of putting sensors in everything, is where all the money is going to be made. There's going to be someone that pulls that off, and creates an entirely new golf experience with the use of technology, and they are going to be the ones generating huge profits. Everyone will want the new software upgrade for their driver or whatever so they can get more accurate data... Then again... maybe I've been watching too much Sci Fi :-D

Nike actually filed patent for something like that already. I think they have plans to use it for fittings.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Well crap...they beat me to it!  :mad:   LOL

Well crap...they beat me to it!  :mad:   LOL

See that just feeds to my theory. The next evolution of golf will not be 17 yards longer. That has literally been beaten dead. You need something out of the box.

I just don't see google glass as a very feasible tech for golf. Could it work? Sure. But in a game that's losing popularity, it's a tech that alienates more golfers due to cost IMO.

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

check out icaddy.com - I think that's just a taste of where things are headed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivdi4IXgFIU

You've also got some wild looking stuff at skydroid http://golfsight.skydroid.net/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9BAwPrpDZE

Is Google Glass the next product to revolutionize the game of golf?

http://www.sbnation.com/golf/2013/12/12/5203652/google-glass-golfsight-app

Great commercial for that icaddy but there's no way it gives directly to pin when she's putting,right? In fact, unless it's equipped with a laser, how does it give directly to pin yard ages period? Call me a skeptic. That thing is sweet and I'm sure it wouldn't take long before you didn't realize the box in the upper right hand corner.

Great commercial for that icaddy but there's no way it gives directly to pin when she's putting,right? In fact, unless it's equipped with a laser, how does it give directly to pin yard ages period? Call me a skeptic. That thing is sweet and I'm sure it wouldn't take long before you didn't realize the box in the upper right hand corner.

Homing beacons added to the bottom of the cup. That will be next. :)   I do remember reading about some company working on something with google glass where it would scan the surface of the green (kind of like what Strakaline was supposed to do but seems to have never got off the ground) and automatically calculate slope, contours, etc.  It's just software and image analyzing... only a matter of time. I'm sure we'll see that kind of tech within the next 10 years. I'm actually kind of surprised that some courses aren't already feeding exact GPS pin locations when they set the pins everyday. That's certainly possible today. When you get to the course proshop, you could suck in the pin locations via bluetooth or whatever into your device. Of course, the GPS isn't perfect, but there's no technical reason why that couldn't already be done.

I can't handle white clubs. I'm almost positive I couldn't handle a HUD while trying to focus/swing.

Wow, LMAO., that's how clueless I am, lol.

I didn't know that Keegan tried a pair, or even that they made a pair.

Did you see em?

Were they decent looking?

What was the price, or did they just do a proto for him?

Fairways & Greens My Friend,

Richard

:mizuno-small:

As a person that's liked the Jordan brand I was okay with them. Didn't care for the colors but they were alright. Would've been better if the colors were different. The elephant print turned a lot of people off.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/10/keegan-bradley-michael-jordan-air-jumpman/

In The Bag

Archived