Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Open Your Wallets Wider, Golf Gear is Too Damn Cheap

The Dansome

I'm sorry, but these zombie thread bumps are nothing more than a nuisance/clutter for those that use the app and website and sort by "unread" posts

You're certainly welcome to feel that way. We are all at liberty to enjoy the forum the way we see fit. If I was spamming the forum, I'd agree with you but I am a little surprised that you find 3 post bumps a nuisance.

Not many people know this but I have self-set rules of #throwbackthursday:

- 3 bumps. Maybe 4 if I find gold

-- One that still applies today

-- One that's interesting history

-- One miscellaneous

It's never my intention to trick people into getting "got." That's just an unfortunate (and hilarious) side effect. Reading is fundamental people!

Not all of the bumps are hits, but some of them are compelling topics that keep people talking for weeks after the bump. There's no way that you can argue that hurts the forum.

I apologize for bumping on a Wednesday; there will be no bumps tomorrow. But I can guarantee you this, your opinion will not make me stop. Sorry I'm not sorry.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

I don't think the prices are too outrageous, especially if you're also getting a fitting and set up for the exact clubs for you it's worth it. But there's not enough incremental changes year to year to justify that $500-$1000 investment. Now every 5-10 years depending on the life of your clubs or patience, one should see quite the difference. Then the investment is worth it.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3 w/ Diamana X 70g B4 setting

Irons: TaylorMade R7 TP 4-PW S300 shafts 1* upright

Titleist Vokey Wedges 50-54-58

Cobra Fly-z 16.5 FW

Adams Pro Boxer hybrid 18*

6.5 index, RH, Cleveland, OH

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I don't think the prices are too outrageous, especially if you're also getting a fitting and set up for the exact clubs for you it's worth it. But there's not enough incremental changes year to year to justify that $500-$1000 investment. Now every 5-10 years depending on the life of your clubs or patience, one should see quite the difference. Then the investment is worth it.

Totally agree. I guess at some point, the OEMs are accounting for inflation as well. You used to be able to buy gas for .99 per gallon as well.

At least for us golfers, the equipment is getting better. Some would argue that the old gas was better for your engine than this new ethanol-laced stuff.

Totally agree. I guess at some point, the OEMs are accounting for inflation as well. You used to be able to buy gas for .99 per gallon as well.

At least for us golfers, the equipment is getting better. Some would argue that the old gas was better for your engine than this new ethanol-laced stuff.

I used to buy gas for .19 per gallon.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Yes you did Kenny.

In the early 70's I was pumping gas at an Enco station (Humble Oil and now Exxon). I vividly recall filling up countless tanks of gasoline for 23 cents a gallon. The guy I worked for owned a handful of stations in the area. Each time a car arrived at the pumps me and two other boys would fill the car, clean the windows, check the tires, check the oil and vacuum out the floor - front and back!! Then one of us would take the credit card (or cash) make an impression of the sale and have the customer sign it. All that for 23 cents a gallon. Oh, and on Saturdays we'd have a line of cars around the station where customers left their car for a detailed car wash. $4.50. You can hardly get a good detail today for anything less than $100!! In fact you can't where I live.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I'm sure they are and the big 4-5 probably aren't hurting too badly. Like others have said here the secondary market does play a part. I need a new wedge, but why drop $150 on the new Vokey when I can get an SM6 for around $100, or even less, when there's no tangible difference in performance? Why buy brand new irons when right now there's a set of 716 AP2s on ebay for $449?? Not picking on Titleist, just they're my brand and these are the things I'm in the market for, and questions I'm mulling over.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3 w/ Diamana X 70g B4 setting

Irons: TaylorMade R7 TP 4-PW S300 shafts 1* upright

Titleist Vokey Wedges 50-54-58

Cobra Fly-z 16.5 FW

Adams Pro Boxer hybrid 18*

6.5 index, RH, Cleveland, OH

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I remember when gas was. 50 a gallon 😒.. Yeah I'm old. 😂🤣

MDGolfHacker

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

I used to buy gas for .19 per gallon.

That happened on Throwback Tuesday at a station near me way back when.

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

Just like anything else, manufacturers will charge what people are willing to pay. Are these drivers worth $500? To me no. I hit my driver cost limit $100 ago. I mean, that topped shot I hit with a $500 driver doesn't go any further than the driver I spent $300 on 😂🤣😂

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

Just like anything else, manufacturers will charge what people are willing to pay. Are these drivers worth $500? To me no. I hit my driver cost limit $100 ago. I mean, that topped shot I hit with a $500 driver doesn't go any further than the driver I spent $300 on 🤣

MDGolfHacker

It was interesting reading this entire thread. I'm home because it's a level 2 outside and I don't feel like driving in it. Needed something and this was perfect. Capitalist country we are, cost will always be driven by profit margins. As some have said, as long as there are"enough" people willing to pay you will never see it decline.

If course advertising revenue I feel is where the real money comes from.

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

My only question is, and I'll use Taylormade as an example. Let me first say, this is not a shot at Taylormade. The M1 and M2 come out, the latest and greatest. They retail between 4 and 5 hundred dollars, closer to 5 than 4. Now a year or two later out comes the M3 and M4, an even better driver.Retailing in that same neighborhood. But now you can go out and get an M1.in the 300 dollar range. For a 10 handicapper is that M3 going to do that much more for me than the 100 dollar cheaper M1???? Tell me, I don't know.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Driver   :bridgestone-small:     JGR 9.5 R Flex Adila 65        

3 Wood  :callaway-logo-1:            XR RFlex Fujikura Evolution

5 Wood :callaway-logo-1:            XR R Flex Project X 5.5                                     

7Wood  :adams-small:    Speedline LP R Flex Matix HD Radix 5.1                                                                                                           Irons      :bridgestone-small:   4 thru A Wedge  J-15 CB R Flex NS Pro                                                                                                             Wedges :cleveland-small:              56 CG 15                                                                                                                                                                           XE!                      65                                                                                                                                                                       Putter      :EVNROLL:         ER 5  Hatchback                                                                                                                                                Ball          :titelist-small:                 NXT Tour S                                                                                                                                      

My only question is, and I'll use Taylormade as an example. Let me first say, this is not a shot at Taylormade. The M1 and M2 come out, the latest and greatest. They retail between 4 and 5 hundred dollars, closer to 5 than 4. Now a year or two later out comes the M3 and M4, an even better driver.Retailing in that same neighborhood. But now you can go out and get an M1.in the 300 dollar range. For a 10 handicapper is that M3 going to do that much more for me than the 100 dollar cheaper M1???? Tell me, I don't know.

KevinE - This is what I'm hoping TrueGolfFit.com will tell us. How much better is the M3 than the 2017 M1 or the 2016 M1? And how much better is it than what I'm playing?

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Loop.....That is what I am alluding to.,I have been playing a Bridgestone JGR driver since 2016...that's when it came out, I believe. It's loft is 9.5, which I am fine with, since my tee ball is teed on the high side.I am no bomber, but not  crazy short for a 60 year old. I consistently hit it between 245 - 250 yards. Occasionnally something goes right and my Golf Buddy tells me I got 275 out of one. There is no loft adjustment, but it is weighted for a draw or fade bias. I have it weighted for the the draw, when I am playing to my capability, I will hit a lazy draw 235 yards and more time in and time out. When I'm not playing well, I don't think it is my driver that's the culprit, its what's going on between my ears. When I'm not scoring well, it usually isn't lost from the tee. I usually rack up more shots with lousy chips,pitches approach shots or shoddy putting. Adding 5,10 or even 15 yards off the tee, if it really is possible, I don't believe will get me from an 11 handicapper to single digits, which is my 2018 goal, and less or no profanity on the course is my New Year's resolution. That is just me, and it is not a suggestion,statement or advice for anyone else. I am comfortable with my JGR, it is my confidence club. For me, that is the most important part to play reasonably good golf. Comfort and peace between my ears.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Driver   :bridgestone-small:     JGR 9.5 R Flex Adila 65        

3 Wood  :callaway-logo-1:            XR RFlex Fujikura Evolution

5 Wood :callaway-logo-1:            XR R Flex Project X 5.5                                     

7Wood  :adams-small:    Speedline LP R Flex Matix HD Radix 5.1                                                                                                           Irons      :bridgestone-small:   4 thru A Wedge  J-15 CB R Flex NS Pro                                                                                                             Wedges :cleveland-small:              56 CG 15                                                                                                                                                                           XE!                      65                                                                                                                                                                       Putter      :EVNROLL:         ER 5  Hatchback                                                                                                                                                Ball          :titelist-small:                 NXT Tour S                                                                                                                                      

with the flood of new products in the marketplace every year it's no wonder that some of the older equipment is cheaper...and just as good.

I'm not sure what the point is for dropoff but some of the older equipment that folks consider "outdated" is just as good - if not better - than the new stuff coming out.  At a certain point the price takes a nose dive and you can get things for pennies on the dollar.

The deals that are out there right now are fantastic.  Clearly it's not imperative to have the latest and greatest to play well, or even, dare I say, play your best.

Thanks for the bump... I like this topic!

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Even though they are newer models, every club in my bag was bought used or was a demo, even the G400 woods. People get rid of some great stuff. My wife says I have an eBay problem! There are just so many great deals floating around out there on lightly used equipment.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

with the flood of new products in the marketplace every year it's no wonder that some of the older equipment is cheaper...and just as good.

I'm not sure what the point is for dropoff but some of the older equipment that folks consider "outdated" is just as good - if not better - than the new stuff coming out. At a certain point the price takes a nose dive and you can get things for pennies on the dollar.

The deals that are out there right now are fantastic. Clearly it's not imperative to have the latest and greatest to play well, or even, dare I say, play your best.

Thanks for the bump... I like this topic!

New is just always going to cost more because it's "new." It's not always better but it's new so therefore it must be more valuable.

I think that "outdated drop off" varies from OEM to OEM. It depends on the last great innovation.

For Ping, it probably goes back as far as the G30 with the turbulators and extra forgiveness

For TM, probably the SLDR with all its adjustability

Callaway might even be as recent as the Epic since jailbreak was so innovative

Titleist..... What's the first driver they ever made? I feel like they haven't changed their driver besides graphics in forever. Maybe the 909 if I'm thinking real hard.

It's been said before, but the year-to-year selling points aren't aimed at golfers who bought a driver last year. They're aimed at golfers who bought a driver 3+ years ago.

And the price? Well it's that high because it's "new"

• 2 months later...

I had this conversation with a friend of mine tonight during a visit to Golf Town here in Windsor.  He was laughing at me for always scouring the local Kijiji's for deals while picking up his new Cleveland putter after putting a $25 grip on it.  I reminded him that in the last few months I'd picked up a barely used late model driver and mini-driver, a barely used Odyssey putter, a good quality set of irons, a good quality full set while in Calgary that I left there for my frequent visits,   all new grips on one of the sets and a few other assorted small items for about $500, the same amount he spent on a new driver last year that slices the same as his old driver :D but is much shinier and newer looking while doing so.  

If there's one thing I've learned in the last couple of years it's that equipment development is basically stalled in the last few years but for nearly imperceptible changes, and a 3 year old driver that cost 1/10th of a new driver goes just as far and straight if I hit it anywhere near the centre with a good swing.  I've found a local fitter that I really like, a one man operation, and he tunes up my clubs as needed and checks and corrects lies and lofts for me for pocket change and has the flightscope tech for me to hit and test on.  

Archived