Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Egos

Mr_Theoo

Notice I wrote that I've removed the duck hook - I most certainly haven't removed the over cooked one and yes hybrid leads the way of culprits in that regard, hybrid and 3 wood off the tee. :)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Rev LOL you are going to teach me how to control a duck hook. But the nasty thing I hit we call a rope hook or as others have said a snap hook

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I am the same way with any hybrid and trust me I have jacked with different shafts lead tape placement but for me the hookerini. That is why I carry a 7 wood 21* and a 9 wood 24*

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I do the idiotic "aggresive layup" from time to time...those two words should not be used together.

I also try to advance the ball too far from trouble.

• TM M1 430 w/ Speeder 757 X

TM Jetspeed w/ Fuji X 13.5*

TM UDI w/ Recoil 120 F4 21*

TM 2011 TP MBs 4-pw X100ti

TM EF Spin 52*/ATV

TM EF Spin 58*/ATV

TM Ghost Tour Black Monte Carlo

Pro V1

Notice I wrote that I've removed the duck hook - I most certainly haven't removed the over cooked one and yes hybrid leads the way of culprits in that regard, hybrid and 3 wood off the tee. :)

You get the 3 wood turning hard off the tee and it seems to keep turning, at least that's what it does when I hit it. Duck hook, ha, it more like a nice high draw right, that turns, and turns, and turns, and keeps turning, and your standing on the tee box asking for it to get down, and when it does it's only 100 yards right of the intended target, which also puts me deep into the woods, with a 6 inch gap that I can run a hooking 4 iron through, not, 5 trees later, I will take the drop and play 4 and hope I can double. Fun stuff.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I like that - high hook turning and Kor A Dor if ever we could play together and find the medium between our two high hooks we'd split the middle of the fairway!

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Hitting Driver all the time.  I pull the big stick out contstantly even when the prudent play is a rescue or 3 wood or something else.  I always feel like I can put the driver in the fairway and unfortunately that is not always the case.

Driver:         Taylormade SIM 8^  Shaft: Evolution III 6X

3 Wood:      Titleist  TSi3 13.5^   Shaft:  Project X Smoke Black RDX 6.5

2 Hybrid:     Callaway Mavrik Pro  Shaft: Project X EvenFlow Black 85X

3/5 Hybrid: Titleist 816 H2            Shaft: Mitsubishi Diamana Whiteboard 85X

Irons:           Taylormade P790      Shaft: UST Recoil 110 S (6-PW)

50 Degree: Taylormade P770       Shaft: UST Recoil 110 S

55/60:        Cleveland RTX Zipcore    Shaft: DG Spinner Tour Issue

Putter:        Bettinardi MK Armlock

The probability that I will hit in the rough is the same whether I hit driver, 3 wood or hybrid, so I might as well be further off the tee.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Hitting Driver all the time.  I pull the big stick out contstantly even when the prudent play is a rescue or 3 wood or something else.  I always feel like I can put the driver in the fairway and unfortunately that is not always the case.

I think the reality of the situation is that with the size on modern drivers and the technology, its become one of the easier clubs to keep in a fairway for a lot of golfers.

WITB:
Driver Ping Anser 8.5 deg Diamana 'ahina X
3 Wood Adams LS Stock S or TM 14 deg MiniDriver stock S
Irons Ben Hogan FW 15 KBS Tour V S
Wedges Ben Hogan TK 15 KBS Tour V S
Putter Nike Method Concept
Launch Monitor: SkyTrak

Play Right-handed

Trying to max out every iron. Should just swing easier with a club less but always fear if I kill it it's going far over the green.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

I think the reality of the situation is that with the size on modern drivers and the technology, its become one of the easier clubs to keep in a fairway for a lot of golfers.

Not for me.  I can't hit a fairway for my life.

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

Speaking of egos, last weekend I played two balls side by side around my home course, one an "ego" ball and one a "realistic" ball.   Ego ball was from the tips and tried to go for it on all shots.  Realistic ball was from the old man white tees and just tried to play safe.

Sadly, the two balls were only two strokes different for 18 and that didn't cover the gap between the slopes and course ratings so I actually played better with the Ego Ball.   It would have been even worse but the Realistic ball rolled in one lucky 40 footer.

So I dunno.   I normally play from the blacks, so I really wasn't used to the shorter approaches and layups from the whites.   Maybe the spread would get wider with more white practice.   But all the old sandbaggers in our men's association play from the whites in order to pad their handicaps, so I could be wrong.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

Speaking of egos, last weekend I played two balls side by side around my home course, one an "ego" ball and one a "realistic" ball.   Ego ball was from the tips and tried to go for it on all shots.  Realistic ball was from the old man white tees and just tried to play safe.

Sadly, the two balls were only two strokes different for 18 and that didn't cover the gap between the slopes and course ratings so I actually played better with the Ego Ball.   It would have been even worse but the Realistic ball rolled in one lucky 40 footer.

So I dunno.   I normally play from the blacks, so I really wasn't used to the shorter approaches and layups from the whites.   Maybe the spread would get wider with more white practice.   But all the old sandbaggers in our men's association play from the whites in order to pad their handicaps, so I could be wrong.

Of course it could be one round and who knows. Not really enough data. Since you're a good player chances are you should be more aggressive. That's an ego thing too, we've been taught for so long to avoid double that we fail to see that playing conservatively is bogey ing us to death.

It would be interesting to see what would happen if you played more aggressively from the whites.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

On my 9-hole practice course, I play from the back tees but it is short. A couple of years ago, our pro set up a tournament with age rules where I would have played from the senior tees. That's two tees forward from what I was used to. I thought "why not!! Big advantage! Nope... One of the worse rounds I had played in a long time. I was in unfamiliar territory, and hitting half shots all the time.

Since then I have practiced from different sets of tees using different clubs off the tee. It's really made a difference and my approach shots have gotten better. Because the course is so short, I occasionally leave all woods/hybrids in my car so I am not tempted to use them; only use irons. This gives me practice hitting longer clubs into greens, which usually results in more missed greens and more opportunities to practice pitches and chips. On most days I can score the same whether I use the woods or not.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Of course it could be one round and who knows. Not really enough data. Since you're a good player chances are you should be more aggressive. That's an ego thing too, we've been taught for so long to avoid double that we fail to see that playing conservatively is bogey ing us to death.

It would be interesting to see what would happen if you played more aggressively from the whites.

At the end of the day, I thought the whole round came down to just one factor -- how close did I stick the iron approaches.   If they weren't REALLY close, it was gonna be a two putt par.   So whether my 8 iron was 40 feet away and my PW was 20 feet away, it didn't matter.  Still a par off of both tees.   This happened A LOT.    I needed to be really close to have a shot at making a difference and I just didn't get substantially closer with the advantage of the whites.   In part this is because I'm terrible from 85 yards to 50 yards.   If I get too close, I suck and won't get close to the pin.   Also on this course I can reach all the fives in two even from the blacks, so no advantage there.  I'm going to do it again tomorrow, so we'll see.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

I generally play from the whites, always have since that's where most of my friends play from.  I did play from the "Blues" more last year, since my "home course" was new to me and more people I met play from there.  I'm NOT a long hitter, but generally scored about the same and realized I was actually longer than many of the guys I met that always play from the blue tees.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Archived