What equipment are you thinking about?

null

2 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

Love it. Totally agree. I have too many wedges as it is - there I said it 😆 - and been thinking about adding an ES21 60° to go with the 54 that I really like. 

So today I found one Like New on Callaway Pre-owned and heck yeah now it's on the way to me!

I could easily bag six wedges if cart bags were made with more full-length dividers than 14 or 15.

Presently, however, I have relatively wide, six degree gaps from 9-iron down--

40, 46, 52, 58 and that's it--just three wedges after 9-iron.

That's because I always have at least a two-club overlap where my fairway woods meet my irons.
Having both shots available for that critical distance,
especially on long par 3s or tight driving holes on our course,
is more important to me than having  level gapping from top to bottom of the set.

This is not a universally agreed upon tactic, obviously. 
Those of us who overlap lofted fairway woods with longer irons are not that common. 

RevKev  comes to mind first,
he being a very good player having no need for long and even middle irons at all. 

Then, there are the many, many hybrid players who've replaced BOTH long irons AND high-loft fairway woods with that type of club.

The "standard set configuration" is totally dead, and because of that,
we're always considering new equipment, more than ever before.  

I'm thinking about getting the Newton Motion Fairway Wood Shaft, because I love the one in my driver.

WITB
Driver: Callaway Rogue ST D 
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue St D
Hybrid: Taylormade SIM2 Max
4-iron: Taylormade P790

5-PW: Taylormade P7MC

52*, 56*, and 60*: Titleist Vokey SM10 Nickel
Putter: Sacks Parente Custom Series 54 Mid-Sized White 1 Stripe - Center

10 hours ago, RetiredBoomer said:

That's because I always have at least a two-club overlap where my fairway woods meet my irons.
Having both shots available for that critical distance,
especially on long par 3s or tight driving holes on our course, is more important to me than having  level gapping from top to bottom of the set.

Currently (at the high handicap end of the player range) I actually do something similar - have a 7W / 21° that I like and a 21° hybrid that gets a lot of use.

Don't have numbers on each but, in general, the wood flies a little higher and spins a little more vs the hybrid which, in general, will give me a little more runout.

6 hours ago, BlaizerMayfield said:

Are they pretty effective?

There is a member test thread going on the Newton shaft; check out...

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62434-newton-driver-golf-shaft-review-2024/

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
3H...Cobra King Tec (MMT 70/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha '19 (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
SW, LW...Mizuno ES21 54-08, 60-06 (KBS Hi Rev 2.0)
Putter...
MLA Tour XDream or EvnRoll ER5
...all in a Bag Boy hybrid bag on an MGI Zip Navigator.
..ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour. Or "found" Pro V1.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)
Other tests: MLA putter; Cleveland Hi Bore driver; Ben Hogan hybrids.

followthrough.jpg

Over the past year, I've gradually replaced almost all of my old clubs that were either mine, or extras from my dad who is the real club collector.  The only clubs left that I haven't replaced are my sand wedge and my putter.  The sand wedge is  a 56/11 Cleveland RTX3 that I've actually really liked.  Growing up, I was never good with high loft wedges.  I'd either chunk them or skull them.  This particular Cleveland, for whatever reason, I don't seem to have nearly as much trouble.  He also had a matching 50 degree, but my Mizuno gap wedge that matches my irons is a 49 degree.  I had the Cleveland 50 bent to 52, but I find that I can adjust my gap wedge for 90-110 yard shots and the 56 degree is good to about 85 yards, so I'm not seeing a need to carry the extra club right now. 

I assumed newer is better and looking at the highly rated clubs, I figured I'd give something newer a try.  I also was thinking that for gapping, I'd be fine with a 54 and 58 as opposed to 52 56 60.  But I'm not great with wedges, so I'm still open to options.

I picked up a Taylormade Milled Grind 3 58 SB (11).  I hit it indoors really well. Very straight.  I took it to the chipping green and had a really hard time controlling distance.  Out of the light rough I was decent, but they have a very tightly cut approach area and I really struggled.  Even with 11 degrees of bounce, I found the leading edge really dug in unless I opened the face a bit.  If I opened the face, I had more trouble judging distance.   Many of the shots came out really low with tons of spin.  I'm guessing with practice I could learn to control it better, but I just did not feel comfortable looking down at it.  I played one round with it.  Out of the 5 times I used it, 2 were horrible and 3 were not great.  

My dad offered me a set of Cleveland CG14 wedges he played until he recently replaced them, as they are 50/54/58, so I can see how I like them and the gapping.  Off a mat, the 58 hits very similar to the Taylormade MG3 as far as distance on full shots, but had slightly less spin - likely from worn grooves (even though the zip grooves are now illegal I think).  What was odd with the CG14 was the 50 degree wedge goes about 10 yards shorter than my Mizuno 49 degree gap wedge.  It actually made for good gapping.  I have a feeling that the Taylormade MG3 will have much better spin out of rough and wet surfaces, but I just don't see putting in the effort to get used to it based on my initial experience. 

Here's the launch monitor date for the 58 degree wedges:

Wedge58s2.jpg.a4727185ab011b049dccd6721e06e977.jpg

And here's the data for the CG14 50 and 54 compared to my 49 degree Mizuno gap wedge.

Wedges49-50-542.jpg.e3c4f4d7d9ec16d142a9a65715c08ec1.jpg

What I'd ideally do is find someone in the Chicago area who can give me a good lesson on wedges, and also do a wedge fitting at the same time.  Although I have to say that my experience with lessons has been very mixed - probably because I'm too stubborn and my habits are too ingrained. 

For now, I'm just going to stick with my 56 Cleveland that I'm comfortable with, even though I was hoping something newer would be better.   

Edited by RickM71

Rick

Driver: Callaway Ai Smoke TD 10.5 Denali Black 60 Stiff
3 Wood:  Cobra Aerojet 15 Kai'li Blue 60 Stiff
3 Hybrid:  Cobra Aerojet 19 KBS PGI 85 Stiff
Irons 5-Gap:  Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, Recoil SW 780 Stiff
SW:  Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 56/11
Putter:  Odyssey 2 Ball

On 8/25/2024 at 10:21 PM, BlaizerMayfield said:

Are they pretty effective?

Yes they are great. I would also highly recommend the Sacks Parente Putter Line (Sacks Parente is the company that started Newton Motion). They make the best putters I've ever used (and I've used Taylormade Spiders and Scotty Camerons), and the fitting process with them is insanely interesting and fun. When I got fit with them, we found that I'm a very upright putter, so we changed the lie angle on my putter to 74*. We also saw that I stand directly over the ball, so much so that my eyes are actually past the line of the ball. We discovered that a center-shafted putter would be the best it for me, and I've lowered my putting average by almost 4 strokes since getting one.

WITB
Driver: Callaway Rogue ST D 
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue St D
Hybrid: Taylormade SIM2 Max
4-iron: Taylormade P790

5-PW: Taylormade P7MC

52*, 56*, and 60*: Titleist Vokey SM10 Nickel
Putter: Sacks Parente Custom Series 54 Mid-Sized White 1 Stripe - Center

6 hours ago, RickM71 said:

Over the past year, I've gradually replaced almost all of my old clubs that were either mine, or extras from my dad who is the real club collector.  The only clubs left that I haven't replaced are my sand wedge and my putter.  The sand wedge is  a 56/11 Cleveland RTX3 that I've actually really liked.  Growing up, I was never good with high loft wedges.  I'd either chunk them or skull them.  This particular Cleveland, for whatever reason, I don't seem to have nearly as much trouble. 

Maybe take a look at Cleveland's CBX series of wedges - wide vee sole, very hard to chunk, very easy to hit.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
3H...Cobra King Tec (MMT 70/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha '19 (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
SW, LW...Mizuno ES21 54-08, 60-06 (KBS Hi Rev 2.0)
Putter...
MLA Tour XDream or EvnRoll ER5
...all in a Bag Boy hybrid bag on an MGI Zip Navigator.
..ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour. Or "found" Pro V1.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)
Other tests: MLA putter; Cleveland Hi Bore driver; Ben Hogan hybrids.

followthrough.jpg

6 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Maybe take a look at Cleveland's CBX series of wedges - wide vee sole, very hard to chunk, very easy to hit.

Thank you for the suggestion. I'm going to take a look at those. I'm going to be at PGA Superstore Saturday as my daughter has a golf lesson there. Perfect chance to check them out. 

Rick

3 hours ago, RickM71 said:

Thank you for the suggestion. I'm going to take a look at those. I'm going to be at PGA Superstore Saturday as my daughter has a golf lesson there. Perfect chance to check them out. 

Just as an fyi, I've had a driver fitting, and a quick 15 minute "putting stroke" fitting at PGAS and they've both been great. Ended up buying the driver that I hit best, and eventually after finding a discount on a particular putter, ended up buying a putter that more closely matched what the fitting suggested. 

Driver:         :titleist-small: TSR2 10.5*
FW wood:   :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3
Hybrid:        :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 Hybrid
Irons:           :mizuno-small:  JPX921 HM 5-GW
Wedges:      :taylormade-small: Black Milled Grind 56*, :callaway-small: Sure Out 2 58*, :mizuno-small: Blue T22 60*
Putter:         :odyssey-small: AI One Milled Eight T S
Ball:              :callaway-small:  Chrome Soft triple track 
Cart:              :Clicgear: 3.0 Pushcart
Shoes:           :footjoy-small: Premieres (So damn comfy) or 
adidas.jpg.68e67ffa35e40e0c3ad8be2ba26f3df3.jpg Tour360's 
Bag:                
AskEcho.jpg.d4dbb4965bf0480bbd5a3cff553f567f.jpg  2024 T-Lock Navy Grey (I love this thing) 

I'm still pondering on getting a blade putter. I currently use a Sacks Parente Series 54MH Mallet Putter and love it, except for when the ball is up against the fringe. In my mind, a blade putter would come in handy for this situation. I'm considering a Cleveland HB SOFT 2 Model 1? Oh! and a Mini Driver...no idea on which one I would even consider at this point 🤔.

Greg O'Connor

12 minutes ago, sevegolfs said:

Just as an fyi, I've had a driver fitting, and a quick 15 minute "putting stroke" fitting at PGAS and they've both been great. Ended up buying the driver that I hit best, and eventually after finding a discount on a particular putter, ended up buying a putter that more closely matched what the fitting suggested. 

I've seen they have free putter feetings on Saturdays. I will probably do that one of these days as I've never had a putter fitting before.  I'm not a great putter. I wish it were as simple as changing putters. 

Looking more at the CBX wedges, they look like they'll be a great match for me, especially given tat I've liked the rtx3 wedges. It turns out my dad has a golfing buddy who is playing the CBX in a 54 and 60, which may give me a perfect opportunity to test them out outdoors. I think with wedges in particular, hitting indoors doesn't mean too much. So thank you again for the suggestion @cksurfdude

Rick

10 minutes ago, RickM71 said:

I've seen they have free putter feetings on Saturdays. I will probably do that one of these days as I've never had a putter fitting before.  I'm not a great putter. I wish it were as simple as changing putters. 

Looking more at the CBX wedges, they look like they'll be a great match for me, especially given tat I've liked the rtx3 wedges. It turns out my dad has a golfing buddy who is playing the CBX in a 54 and 60, which may give me a perfect opportunity to test them out outdoors. I think with wedges in particular, hitting indoors doesn't mean too much. So thank you again for the suggestion @cksurfdude

That's exactly what I ended up doing on a Saturday morning after just "coming in to browse" lol... at the time I had a putter that was face balanced (0* of toe hang). But based on my stroke, ideally I'd have a putter with 30 degrees. Ended up buying a putter a few months later with 36* and am pretty happy with it. 

Driver:         :titleist-small: TSR2 10.5*
FW wood:   :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3
Hybrid:        :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 Hybrid
Irons:           :mizuno-small:  JPX921 HM 5-GW
Wedges:      :taylormade-small: Black Milled Grind 56*, :callaway-small: Sure Out 2 58*, :mizuno-small: Blue T22 60*
Putter:         :odyssey-small: AI One Milled Eight T S
Ball:              :callaway-small:  Chrome Soft triple track 
Cart:              :Clicgear: 3.0 Pushcart
Shoes:           :footjoy-small: Premieres (So damn comfy) or 
adidas.jpg.68e67ffa35e40e0c3ad8be2ba26f3df3.jpg Tour360's 
Bag:                
AskEcho.jpg.d4dbb4965bf0480bbd5a3cff553f567f.jpg  2024 T-Lock Navy Grey (I love this thing) 

46 minutes ago, sevegolfs said:

That's exactly what I ended up doing on a Saturday morning after just "coming in to browse" lol... at the time I had a putter that was face balanced (0* of toe hang). But based on my stroke, ideally I'd have a putter with 30 degrees. Ended up buying a putter a few months later with 36* and am pretty happy with it. 

I've always gone with face balanced putters as I've liked the idea in principle. I used a Zebra putter growing up. I've used a few non face balanced putters at times and always seem to go back to face balanced. I think it is just what I'm used to looking at. Given that I'm not a good putter, I don't know why I stick with it. Again - switching putter styles probably won't turn me into a good putter, but I'd take just being less bad. 

Rick

I've been considering irons from Mizuno, Vice, and PXG. After weighing my options, I think I'll go with PXG since they offer a wide selection of clubs for left-handed players.

PXG 0211

15* Taylormade Sim 2 max

18* hybrid (Taylormade)

22* hybrid (Adams)

25* hybrid (Tour edge)

irons - Callaway Big Bertha 2002 (It's a long story!)

Putter - Odyssey AI one 2 ball DB 35¨

30 minutes ago, Lefty11 said:

I've been considering irons from Mizuno, Vice, and PXG. After weighing my options, I think I'll go with PXG since they offer a wide selection of clubs for left-handed players.

Man, I left PXG for New Level. I like PXG but my New Levels are 🔥 and for a lower cost. I’m also tracking Sub70. I’m gonna by a set of those I think.🧐 

Can’t seem to get the dark speed out of my mind. That and the GT4

Edited by Erin B

I could play golf every day and learn something new each time.

Driver: Callaway_logoChev.jpg.210738784f200cb0d13f9386f1575265.jpgParadym TD 9* Steadfast Jupiter S or  Ping.png.bd9875c415de0caaf18165e81353fcba.png425LST 9* Steadfast Jupiter S

Woods: TM.png.882c22efb861c87ad5aa6b2f88e9743f.png3W Mini TaylorMade S

Hybrids: PXG.jpg.f43fb635ef9ee412fa814c0d924d1ee5.jpg3H&4H 0317 Steadfast Jupiter S

Irons: NL.png.a16c1db32eb8495938c8958152d9be4c.png902PD Proj.X IO shaft 6.5

Wedges: titleist.jpeg.79b06f097c7bfa5eecb9179cb2b8800a.jpegVokey SM10 48, 52, 56* Titleist Wedge Shafts

Putter: SM.jpg.6ec6e268aa1364f355b3f10b9901b64e.jpgBlack MiniGiant 

Ball: titleist.jpeg.79b06f097c7bfa5eecb9179cb2b8800a.jpegPro V1X or Callaway_logoChev.jpg.210738784f200cb0d13f9386f1575265.jpgChrome TourX

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62621-forum-member-reviews-callaway-whitebox-testing/?do=findComment&comment=1020558

On 6/21/2024 at 5:52 AM, downlowkey said:

Have you ever hit their original UW release? When folks put them on digital L/L machines, the actual loft was often 2-3 degrees less than the stamp. If you could track down a 17* head that’s actually 14* and laced to a telephone pole, odds are pretty decent that you wouldn’t have to worry about launching that setup too high.

Well no kidding.  Thanks for the information good buddy.

1 hour ago, Shankster said:

Well no kidding.  Thanks for the information good buddy.

Anytime, muchacho. An elephant-like memory for obscure golf knowledge occasionally comes in handy. Good luck on your stinger hunt.

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

21 hours ago, Erin B said:

Man, I left PXG for New Level. I like PXG but my New Levels are 🔥 and for a lower cost. I’m also tracking Sub70. I’m gonna by a set of those I think.🧐 

Can’t seem to get the dark speed out of my mind. That and the GT4

@Erin B….
How many clubs do you have stashed at your place, my friend? I’m starting to think you might be running a secret golf shop! 😆

Edited by Lefty11

PXG 0211

15* Taylormade Sim 2 max

18* hybrid (Taylormade)

22* hybrid (Adams)

25* hybrid (Tour edge)

irons - Callaway Big Bertha 2002 (It's a long story!)

Putter - Odyssey AI one 2 ball DB 35¨

Always Irons. I would absolutely love a set of TM or Titleist irons. Bit more biased towards titleist because I recently got vokey wedges and they were worth every bit. The feel is just insane compared to entry level wedges.

jclab20, chasing a single digit handicap

I'm henceforth going to make a very serious effort to stop obsessing about golf equipment.

There's one thing that EVERY major OEM has in common.
NONE of them reach out to potential customers and ask them what they might want.
They decide what to make all on their own,
decide how much customability it will have,
and then try to sell it.

Obviously, this is the successful business model or they'd try something else.
It's just not what I like to see.  Long past time to stop worrying about it, however.
I'll just play with what I've got
since I'll never get to own an OEM. 

7 minutes ago, RetiredBoomer said:

I'm henceforth going to make a very serious effort to stop obsessing about golf equipment.

There's one thing that EVERY major OEM has in common.
NONE of them reach out to potential customers and ask them what they might want.
They decide what to make all on their own,
decide how much customability it will have,
and then try to sell it.

Obviously, this is the successful business model or they'd try something else.
It's just not what I like to see.  Long past time to stop worrying about it, however.
I'll just play with what I've got
since I'll never get to own an OEM. 

I believe OEM's do get input from potential customers and do not design in a vacuum.  For example join Team Titleist and you can participate in focus groups and product testing.  They already know the large majority of golfers .want more distance and less dispersion.  They get a lot of feedback from focus groups on what that package looks like in a club....and sounds like.  There are plenty of changes from one release to the next improving on an aspect that was dinged in opinion surveys of a previous model.

Much like a victim of Carl Spackler slicing a hamstring, if i didnt obsess over equipment i might quit the game!!  😂

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex; :callaway-logo-1: Mavrik 18* 5w;  :mizuno-small: JPX 919 HM Pro 4i;  :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

3 minutes ago, Shapotomous said:

I believe OEM's do get input from potential customers and do not design in a vacuum.  For example join Team Titleist and you can participate in focus groups and product testing.  They already know the large majority of golfers .want more distance and less dispersion.  They get a lot of feedback from focus groups on what that package looks like in a club....and sounds like.  There are plenty of changes from one release to the next improving on an aspect that was dinged in opinion surveys of a previous model.

Much like a victim of Carl Spackler slicing a hamstring, if i didnt obsess over equipment i might quit the game!!  😂

I’m attending a white ball test for the new Prov1 and Prov1x on the 12th Sep so I can vouch Titleist getting input from every day golfers. We’re playing 9 holes on a premium course with the test white box balls so we can give our feedback. 

GT2 10° Project X HZRDUS 6.0 Black 5G 60  
GT2 16.5° Project X HZRDUS 6.0 Black 5G 70
TSR2 18° HZRDUS Black 6.0 4G 
2 Iron T200 Utility HZRDUS Black 6.0
4 Iron T200 Utility HZRDUS Black 6.0
T150 5- PW (44) Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff
Vokey SM9 48.10 F Grind, 
Vokey SM9 54.10 S Grind, 
Vokey SM9 60.08 M Grind, 
L.A.B DF3 Armlock
Grip Master Tour Wrap Grips
Garmin Z30

I've got a sim2 3 wood and driver.... and some spare wedges.  I'm debating just making a full 2nd bag for travel. 

What's a good set of irons that can be found used for 400

I should be golfing instead of talking smack on the web.

Hoping to get some golf spikes with a wide toe box.  
The dogs are barking after the last 36 holes with the current shoes

Driver - Stix Compete
7W - :ping-small: G5
9W - :callaway-small: Big Bertha War Bird
5H/SW - :callaway-small:Edge 
6H - :ping-small: G15
5-PW - :macgregor-small: MT-86 OS
56 - Kirkland Signature 
Putter - :odyssey-small: White Hot Pro