What/How Did You Practice Today?

null

Day 279 (22 Oct 24) - Today was our church men’s group last event of the season.  As it’s super ball format, it was an easy round of fun.  Put the 845s Silver Scots in play along with the old Spalding Johnny Palmer 1 & 3 woods.  Those little heads sure do increase your level of focus.  Love the challenge the old clubs bring. 

WITB?:ping-small:  G400 SFT w/Aldila NXT GEN NVS 55 Aflex ; :ping-small: G410 3w; :ping-small: G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26) - stock Ping Alta CB R-Flex; :edel-golf-1:SMS 6i, 7i - KBS TourLIte 95 R-Flex; Maltby TS1 8i-9i-PW w/Apollo Acculite 85 R flex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -R-Flex and :odyssey-small: AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

Full irons and wedges workout today.

For editing time restraints it's in double speed.

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

I know you are near me so I need to ask where you go to do chipping practice.  Most actual greens are no chipping.  Deer Run and the Hamptons have a place to chip but it is just short Bermuda.  Cypress Creek and  Kiln Creek have areas, but they list that theycharge to use the practice areas…..not sure if that is just the range and you can use the short game and putting greens.  

Cypress Creek is basically around the corner so I end up there alot. I really like there chipping area as it has 2 pin locations(1 close to the edge and 1 more centered), a large bunker(even tho it is always wet sand) & basically every lie/shot you could ask for. Believe it is $20 all you can hit range balls/putting green/chipping green access.

Kiln Creek I actually have not tried yet nor have I been to there range so unsure of conditions and cost there. Id imagine it is as nice as there course?

DRIVER  CALLAWAY.png.02d1ed01b3f95aaceb59b33edf1d6f2d.png Paradym Ai SMOKE MAX D w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 55-R 10.5*

HYBRID CALLAWAY.png.02d1ed01b3f95aaceb59b33edf1d6f2d.png Big Bertha 19 w/ UST Recoil DART 75-S 20*

IRONS MALTBY.jpg.db763764d25fcfd7c75f92dc47028a09.jpg TS3 Forged 4i-GW w/ True Temper Score LT 100-R

WEDGES PING.png Glide Forged Pro w/ ZZ115-W 52-10*/58-10*/58-6*

PUTTER Cleveland.jpg HB SOFT 8 w/ Center Shaft 3*

Check out my Tests...

11 minutes ago, JAYER38 said:

Cypress Creek is basically around the corner so I end up there alot. I really like there chipping area as it has 2 pin locations(1 close to the edge and 1 more centered), a large bunker(even tho it is always wet sand) & basically every lie/shot you could ask for. Believe it is $20 all you can hit range balls/putting green/chipping green access.

Kiln Creek I actually have not tried yet nor have I been to there range so unsure of conditions and cost there. Id imagine it is as nice as there course?

Kind of disappointed you can’t putt and chip without paying; I am fine with range charge.   I am familiar with Cypress Creek, used to be my “home” course since I played it just about every week.   Still play it for my golf league and when the guys I play with can’t make it.   

kiln creek is $30 for all access. Below is a picture from their site that’s shows what it looks like.  Large putting green, bunker area with the ability to hit some 30ish yard shots, they do have a chipping green, and a range that is often mats only.  

905bf5_af5dd1f9f4334f3aafdaa490dcf9efaa~

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Auditions ongoing 🤣

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Feel pretty good about myself today.  Got some range work in.  I am the commander of my clubs now… I love it…

Moved to the practice green, got a few chips in.  Saw a young lad struggling with his chips, he moved closer to me and was watching what I was doing.  So I asked if he wanted some help.  I got an enthusiastic yes.  So, we worked on some chips with him.  First thing he had the 60 and was trying to finesse everything.  He didn’t have a 56° so we used his 60.  But we got the ball stopped where it needed to be, and I taught him the toe down chip for the grainy grass and he was amazed.  Spoke a little bit about his game, and he said he had a big tournament coming up.

So I asked his game plan and shoe shape. He “works” the ball from every shot.  Spoke about course management, and picking whatever shot shape he is more comfortable with under pressure.  Kind of wish I could have played 9 with him to see how he worked his way around the course.  Just solidified that I want to teach this game.  Very satisfying knowing I helped someone out.  Never felt that good about “work” before in my life.  Even though it was just a impromptu sidebar discussion/lesson.

Driver: Callway Rogue St Triple Diamond 9*

2 HY: Mizuno STZ 230 16* (set to 13.75)

2 Iron: Taylormade UDI 17*

Irons: 2019 Titleist T100S 3-PW

Wedges: Vokey SM6 54* and SM9 48* / Taylormade MG3 TW 56*

Putter: PING Anser 

Ball: Pro V1

Bag: Jones 

5 hours ago, JAYER38 said:

With my work schedule being the last 2 weeks every Tuesday-Wednesday I've been able to sneak out to the course and get some practice in.... I have somehow been stuck behind slow groups or even just 4 person groups that don't offer to play through every time I hit the course now BUT Its really helping me work on my patience haha.

Saw a video or article this week talking about separation (shoulders/chest/hips/knees) and how it can affect swing direction and where the ball starts/finishes. Also mentioned most of your full swing practice should be wedges and woods letting the middle clubs will fall into place as they should. But anyway I had about an hour before my tee time so went to the range, putting green, and chipping green to get some reps in!

So hit the range first with the 58/ & 52* wedges for some half and full swing practice. Having a goal to hit 5 consecutive shots at a target but to 1 side of that target to eliminate a double miss. I've always struggle with half shots (under 60ish yards) so I tried a different method (almost chipping like explained further down) of using my GW & PW for the longer shots with good results so will keep trying this.

As far as longer clubs I pulled the 1 and only Callaway Ai Smoke Max D out and gave her a few swings. Felt smooth with no major mishits which was the goal! Became fairly repeatable feeling wise which I've struggled with recently.

Putting I've always practice 5ft & 15ft putts. 15ft putts my goal is within 2ft & 5ft the goal is to make them or be within inches. This time I wanted to do with without using my alignment lines and just eyeball it and feel it out. Always working on this!

Chipping we found something somehow. Really unsure where this new "technique" came from but it provided great results compared to past. Toe down with the Ball at the leading edge of my back foot standing fairly close to it. Keep the wrists strong and no release. Lets hope this keeps working!

That chipping technique sounds similar to how I hit bump and runs near the green in thicker grass. Typically use an 8 iron, toe down helps prevent it from getting caught in the grass. Playing off the back foot also steepens the angle and further reduces the chance of it getting stuck. It seems to reduce my chances of chunking it. And if I'm playing a bump and run anyway, hitting a little thin usually is a small miss. 

I realize I am spoiled and haven't availed myself of the chipping greens near me. The two park district courses within a 10 minute drive both have free chipping greens. One has about 40 yards of fairway leading to it. Both have sand traps. The one day I tried the sand trap was after some rain, and the sand was firm. I skulled one shot over the green into the tall weeds. I was thinking how embarrassing it was to possibly lose a ball on the chipping green. I went over to find my ball and managed to find a mint prov1 in there near mine. I didn't feel quite as bad. 

Today I hit putts on the exputt and played around briefly with different modes. If there is a two player mode (not remote) I didn't find it yet. I also need to set up profiles for my daughters so they can practice without it counting in my stats. I do like the random distance practice mode. Hopefully my brain takes it all in as I practice. 

Rick

Driver: Callaway Ai Smoke TD 10.5 Denali Black 60 Stiff
3 Wood:  Cobra Aerojet 15 Kai'li Blue 60 Stiff
3 Hybrid:  Cobra Aerojet 19 KBS PGI 85 Stiff
5 Hybrid - Mizuno 220 ST-X 220 Aldila Ascent 50 Stiff
6 Hybrid - Mizuno 220 ST-X 220 Tensei CK Blue 70 Stiff
Irons 5-Gap:  Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, Recoil SW 780 Stiff
Wedges:  Cleveland RTX3 V-MG Cavity Back 50 turned to 52 and 56/11
Putter:  Odyssey 2 Ball

Working on a late season grip change that has me striking the ball much better. I'm getting the ball up nice and high on approach shots and smoking my driver, unfortunately my putting has fallen way off. I played 9 holes two weeks ago and hit 6/9 GiR but had 29 putts, yuck!!! Yes the greens were fast but having multiple 4 putts in a round is very, very bad.

Wrapping up the season at Whiskey Creek in Ijamsville, MD on Sunday and I want to play well, so I'm working on chipping/putting this week. Took my putter and 54 degree over the practice green with 3 balls after work for about 45 minutes. Worked on getting up & down from around the green and drained my first chip from 20 feet which set a nice tone for the practice session. I also practiced being short-sided from 15-20 feet and hitting a little flop shot. I'll do one more chipping/putting session on Th/Fr and I'll bash a bucket on Saturday as a final tune up.

I seem to play better on "harder" courses, I guess that's because my home course has been very dry all season with a lot of tight lies and at the more difficult, high end, places conditions are much better. Goal for Sunday is to finally break 90 this season. I've had a couple of 9 hole rounds where I shot <45 but I haven't put it together for 18 holes. LFG!!

WITB

Calloway Hyper X Driver TaylorMade SIM2 Max D

Paradym 3-wood

Ping G430 3-hybrid

Ping G430 4-PW

Ping 50, 54, 58 wedges

Old ass putter from my old bag TP Hydro Blast Soto

Went to the range this morning and worked on tempo and path.  Only took 3 clubs as I wanted to just focus on a couple key items.

Titleist GT3 11* Tensei 1k blue

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

Vokey SM9 Wedges 50* 54* 58*

DF2.1 Putter

4 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

Went to the range this morning and worked on tempo and path.  Only took 3 clubs as I wanted to just focus on a couple key items.

Similar to what I am working on, I started with path and club face (being more online) and now have thrown in tempo as well, if you have a chance pull up George Knudson's swing on youtube. I am trying to emulate that tempo and rythym, seems to help me get the scoring irons more online.

committed to performance excellence

7 minutes ago, Jim Shaw said:

Similar to what I am working on, I started with path and club face (being more online) and now have thrown in tempo as well, if you have a chance pull up George Knudson's swing on youtube. I am trying to emulate that tempo and rythym, seems to help me get the scoring irons more online.

I'll have to take a look.  

I have decided that I don't need/want my swing to look like anyone elses other than my own.  I think I have learned that this past year from watching some of the pros (Scottie/Bryson/etc) who play their own swing.  I have some limitations and things I am working on improving but also realize that those limitations can also be fixed over time.  If I can make small changes and create a better path, my scores will ultimately improve.  (in theory)  

Titleist GT3 11* Tensei 1k blue

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

Vokey SM9 Wedges 50* 54* 58*

DF2.1 Putter

12 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

I have decided that I don't need/want my swing to look like anyone elses other than my own.  I think I have learned that this past year from watching some of the pros (Scottie/Bryson/etc) who play their own swing.  I have some limitations and things I am working on improving but also realize that those limitations can also be fixed over time.  If I can make small changes and create a better path, my scores will ultimately improve.  (in theory)  

good going, sounds like a great plan

committed to performance excellence

38 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

Kind of the approach I want to take as well.   I’ve been reading some of Adam Young’s stuff and I like his thought process about the swing.   I need to fix my contact location and arc depth so I plan on following his training plan to see if I can improve those.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Auditions ongoing 🤣

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG