Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Comparative Driver shaft to N.S. PRO Modus³ Tour 120

Hello one and all, 

My first post here, been reading for a while. 

Recently, I was fitted for my irons. The fitter ended up choosing the N.S. PRO Modus³ Tour 120 - X Flex due to my swing speed and how I load the shaft.
I then chose the Mizuno MP-25's for my heads. I'm very happy with the set. 

It got me thinking, would it now be a case of selecting a driver shaft with the same characteristics (does that make sense?) or would I 100% need a fitting? 

Anything else you need to know? Thanks for any help you may be able to give! 

Ricky

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

Wow.. that was quick!! 

Thank you, didn't realize that the website offered this information. 

Would you guys recommend trying difference shafts or is there a very good chance this would be the shaft for me?

FYI - driving is something i'm working on at the moment and during a fitting not sure i can be consistent enough over 6-10 different shafts.  

So to answer your question, Nippon is the first company I've heard that says you can base the driver shaft that best fits you off your current iron shaft. The issue is that you may swing your driver completely differently than you do an iron. I think that without going through a fitting or trying a shaft out at least, you'll never know if this is the best shaft for you or not. I went through the game of buying several shafts until I found one that fit me and spent a lot of money doing it. I wouldn't recommend it. Fitting is usually the smartest route.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

Fitting is always the best option. 

I get asked on numerous occasions to find a driver shaft that feels and performs like the iron shaft, but in reality they are ultimately different beasts. One is irons and one is for woods obviously, but how that is delivered to the ball is different in many ways too - not least of which to consider is length and weight.

In short, there really is no comparative  shaft because there is no real comparison between the two clubs - they perform different functions at a different length and are swung differently.

What does remain constant however is your own swing characteristics and this will have an effect in what shaft profile you will perform better with. In the case of the Nippon Modus 3 with a very stiff tip section and relatively soft mid section, you would expect a driver shaft to display similar qualities. Unfortunately, that could apply to around a thousand different shafts with a similar profile - so a fitting consultation would be a must before you could even decide on a shortlist to pick from. 

Archived