Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

The etiquette of carts on the green

chemclub

The correct etiquette is whatever the course's policy is. I check when playing at any course that I'm unfamiliar with.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have signs on our course to direct carts back to the cart path. They are moved on a regular basis but never allow carts closer that the apron. Even the carts that have handicap signs are not allowed on the green.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

The correct etiquette is whatever the course's policy is. I check when playing at any course that I'm unfamiliar with.

... Clearly in Australia you DGAF about the game. And your greenskeepers DGAF about the game. Even though you probably repair your ball mark and another on every green, replace your divots and take your hat off and shake hands at the end of the round.  ;)  

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

• SPY VIP

... Clearly in Australia you DGAF about the game. And your greenskeepers DGAF about the game. Even though you probably repair your ball mark and another on every green, replace your divots and take your hat off and shake hands at the end of the round. ;)

Well if you're going to quote me at least get it right. This is not an issue restricted to Australia, it's a global epidemic of DGAF's led by people like Lexi who go beyond carts to manipulating the rules as they see fit.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

Don't ask yourself "can I bring my cart on the green?" Ask yourself "should I bring my cart on the green?" That answer is no.

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

No no no no no no, all for fast play but still don't like that at all.

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

My club, along with probably a majority in Victoria (including top level courses like Kingston Heath) actually direct players to wheel their carts across the green, rather than around the green on the fringe.

According to the green keepers, it has minimal impact on the greens, and greatly reduces the wear on fringes. The wear is attributed to feet, rather than cart wheels.

The pressure from a cart wheel is much less than through an average size mans foot.

I've seen our head greenkeeper go off at members for not going across the green, but around the fringe.

Just to clarify, this applies only to push carts. (sorry for quoting myself, wanted to keep the context clear)

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

Don't ask yourself "can I bring my cart on the green?" Ask yourself "should I bring my cart on the green?" That answer is no.

The green can take the 400lbs+ weight of the mower and roller on the daily basis, I don't think I'd worry about the weight damage to the green. It's the my $h!t don't stink attitude that gets me sometime. If they gonna do it, then do it, don't ask for acceptance or validation.

I make a point to not get bothered by people stepping on my line, and it does not one bit. I figured that as recent as the group in front of me other players just walk/squad right over my ball making this nice foot impression that line me up to the hole.

I have never seen anyone at my club take a push cart onto a green.  Lucky, I guess.  I don't think it would hurt our greens anyway; they are very firm.  Our club allows power carts up by the greens and on tee boxes, but you have to get a blue flag to attach to your cart.  There are actually quite a few people that play every day with the blue flags, and I have never seen any damage to grass around the greens or tees.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I play with a guy who pushes his cart across the green whenever it may be convenient—in the name of fast play to the next tee.

I don't necessarily have a problem with it. Clicgear wheels are wide and smooth. A foot step from a 200 lb guy likely makes a deeper depression. Plus there are always people with aggressive "soft spikes" who don't know how to walk and tear things up.

But it still always gives me pause. I guess I was just raised to push the cart around the green and I still push it in such a way as to be closest to the next tee.

Anyone else cross the green?

(Please provide name of the course you play so I can call the marshall on you)

No! Not acceptable in my book. I give about 10yds of buffer around greens. I've played with guys who go over the fringe with their cart but never through one.

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

So this happens on my "home course" last year. I believe the driver of the Ford F-250 Dually had a hit out on him. The green still hasn't recovered.

I really like the idea of walking only courses.

attachicon.gifIMG_1277.PNG

- Alan

That is terrible...

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

Greens that have been damaged take a long, long time to heal. What if someone were to cause damage to the green due to their push cart? Just don't risk it.

To be clear, I am only talking about crossing the green (with their push cart) in the interest of fast play to the next tee. If someone were to park their pusher right next to their ball on the green and putt out I would probably say something. That would be a site to see.

Has anyone tried to push across some part of the green since reading this thread? Just try it and report back your findings. 

Going by the response from some of you, I can just picture the mental struggle...

"OK, OK, I'm gonna do it... (inhale, pause) Here goes..."

"Nah, I can't do it! Next hole... Maybe"

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

I couldn't do it because my Momma would have spanked my pants off.   That's a kin to riding a bicycle across someone's grave site....  :blink:  Is it gonna hurt the person under ground?  Nawwww I don't think so however it's a respect thang. 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I couldn't do it because my Momma would have spanked my pants off.   That's a kin to riding a bicycle across someone's grave site....  :blink:

Fair enough. But my Momma raised me to ask why. Why no carts on greens? For what purpose? Why is it so bad when it clearly does less damage than my foot step?

"When you believe in things that you don't understand, then you suffer, superstition ain't the waaaa-eeaaah-aaaay"

– Stevie Wonder

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

To be clear, I am only talking about crossing the green (with their push cart) in the interest of fast play to the next tee. If someone were to park their pusher right next to their ball on the green and putt out I would probably say something. That would be a site to see.

Has anyone tried to push across some part of the green since reading this thread? Just try it and report back your findings. 

Going by the response from some of you, I can just picture the mental struggle...

"OK, OK, I'm gonna do it... (inhale, pause) Here goes..."

"Nah, I can't do it! Next hole... Maybe"

Never thought to try.

What pace were you playing that required your partner to push the cart across the green to make up time. It's such an inappropriate action in the interest of fast play.

Fair enough. But my Momma raised me to ask why. Why no carts on greens? For what purpose? Why is it so bad when it clearly does less damage than my foot step?

"When you believe in things that you don't understand, then you suffer, superstition ain't the waaaa-eeaaah-aaaay"

– Stevie Wonder

It's not superstitious to not roll the cart across the green, just inappropriate gesture.

Why not? The same reason golfers don't use other clubs except putter or hover wedge to make the stroke on the green to avoid making ground contact. Clearly there's no rule against that. I can recall many situations I'd ended in a better spot than using putter.

I read last year that one should/could push the cart across the green. 40 pounds spread across three fat wheels isn't going to affect the green as much as a 160 lb man standing on two feet, and it saves time to speed up pace of play. Okay. Did it twice and one of the owners asked me not to do it anymore. That ended that. Like others i wouldn't even carry my bag across the green. Tried it with push cart at the suggestion of internet posters, and had it quickly shut down. What is good etiquette seems to be different from place to place i guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver: TM M1 9.5*

4W: Wishon bent FLAT

Irons: Mizuno MP20MB

Wedges: 50/55/60 Mizuno

Putter: Evnroll ER2

I read last year that one should/could push the cart across the green. 40 pounds spread across three fat wheels isn't going to affect the green as much as a 160 lb man standing on two feet, and it saves time to speed up pace of play. Okay. Did it twice and one of the owners asked me not to do it anymore. That ended that. Like others i wouldn't even carry my bag across the green. Tried it with push cart at the suggestion of internet posters, and had it quickly shut down. What is good etiquette seems to be different from place to place i guess.

Not all push cart wheels are "fat" and many have tread. They leave distinct marks on the fairway especially when damp. They can and would leave impression in the green under wet conditions.

– Stevie Wonder

It's a take care of what is not yours type of thing.  You respect others property and although the walking cart bag puller thing probably weighs less than a nats arse it's a respect thing.  

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Not all push cart wheels are "fat" and many have tread. They leave distinct marks on the fairway especially when damp. They can and would leave impression in the green under wet conditions.

Yeah, mine are fat and smooth.

Driver: TM M1 9.5*

4W: Wishon bent FLAT

Irons: Mizuno MP20MB

Wedges: 50/55/60 Mizuno

Putter: Evnroll ER2

Even if a groundskeeper told me to walk my push cart across a green, I'd cringe the entire time. We were always taught to stay off the green at all costs. I walk around it when possible. That's gonna be a hard habit to break.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

Yeah, same here. Occasionally, if my group is a little behind, and the putting green is really large, I'll carry my bag across it (I never use push carts, and always spikeless shoes ). I always feel guilty, though...

Yeah, same here. Occasionally, if my group is a little behind, and the putting green is really large, I'll carry my bag across it (I never use push carts, and always spikeless shoes ). I always feel guilty, though...

I forgot to mention that I have only done that about twice.

Archived