2 Weeks Remaining: MODERATOR WANTED Join the MyGolfSpy Staff! Read more... ×
hckymeyer

Official Forum Member Review - Bridgestone Prototype Balls

Damn Bridgestone is upping it's game and showing how successful being associated with MGS can help them. Between them and cobra I don't know who else is taking advantage of what this forum is about. 

• Like 3

BREAKING NEWS: I need to tell you guys that, for the last month, I've been driving around on Bridgestone tires that were secretly provided to select MGS members. My Stage 1 will be up shortly. :)

In all seriousness, these pop-up reviews have been really cool, and I'll be reading with interest. I'm proud to be part of the kind of forum that a company like Bridgestone would trust to evaluate their pre-release products.

• Like 8

Also, I will say I'm very intrigued by the dimple pattern. It almost looks Hex dimple like... very interesting.

It is pretty hex-like, here’s a closeup of the dimple pattern: IMG_3182.JPG

Cameron Martinez, RN
  • Like 1

Interesting to follow this one. I can't imagine spending more than $30 a dozen for a ball without a urethane cover.

BREAKING NEWS: I need to tell you guys that, for the last month, I've been driving around on Bridgestone tires that were secretly provided to select MGS members. My Stage 1 will be up shortly.
In all seriousness, these pop-up reviews have been really cool, and I'll be reading with interest. I'm proud to be part of the kind of forum that a company like Bridgestone would trust to evaluate their pre-release products.
As one of the testers that has been entrusted with pre-release goodies, I have to agree with your sentiment. It is very cool the way these OEM's seem to value the input from this forum.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 7

Congratulations guys for being chosen for this super-top-secret-double-probation testing.

I really like the look of the AAMSFT, kinda makes me think e6 or duo with the shallow dimple pattern. I love both those products. I'm going to be curious to see how straight those bad boys fly on mis hits.

Have fun with both tests and I can't wait to hear the verdict.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

Bridgestone markets this all as a 3 piece ball, right? But in @TSauer pics, it looks like a dual core with 2 outer layers, like a a PV1x which Titleist markets as a 4 piece ball. The BB soft that @DawgDaddy got looks to be a 3 piece. 

Did I miss something?

Edited by GB13
  • Like 1

Damn Bridgestone is upping it's game and showing how successful being associated with MGS can help them. Between them and cobra I don't know who else is taking advantage of what this forum is about. 
Cobra F8 irons.....check

Bridgestone Tour B XW 1 56 wedge.....check

I believe you are right

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

Interesting to follow this one. I can't imagine spending more than $30 a dozen for a ball without a urethane cover.

From my understanding that's the Target price, with the e6 being repositioned in the lower $20's.

Bridgestone Tour B JGR Driver and HF2 irons Pre Release Testing
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, GB13 said:

Bridgestone markets this all as a 3 piece ball, right? But in @TSauer pics, it looks like a dual core with 2 outer layers, like a a PV1x which Titleist markets as a 4 piece ball. The BB soft that @DawgDaddy got looks to be a 3 piece. 

Did I miss something?

All I can comment on it that the Soft SS is a 3 piece ball.

17 hours ago, DawgDaddy said:

Soirée BLIND TEST, dansante et Karaoké

Hot dog, I am a tester for a new golf ball from Bridgestone Golf but I can't tell you what it is simply because I don't know what it is. This is a blind test. What I do know is that it is not a urethane cover and it will be a fit between the B330 series balls and the e series balls, both in performance and price. There are two different compression levels of the ball based on swing speed. The closest current production ball is the TaylorMade Project a, the ball I was sent is marked Soft SS for soft swing speed I imagine.

BBT1_zpsyvhgmykm.png

We had a conference call with all of the participants and some Bridgestone staff, there were several takeaways from the call, one of the more important ones to me was the why for this ball. One thought on their thinking is they feel they can get premium ball performance with a surlyn cover. They are the largest manufacturer of automobile tires in the world, the engineers in the R&D department for Bridgestone golf are able to pull from the engineers in the tire department for their developments that just may help in golf.  They think they have found a perfect formula with the tire polymers to do exactly that, make a premium performance ball for less money. Ambitious for sure but doable in their eyes.

BBT3_zpsk8yjy9zz.png

It was suggested that a ball be cut in half for a picture, I did that and the ball is a classic 3 piece, the core is relatively soft compared to others I have cut in half, the color is similar to a woman's make-up. The center layer is somewhat different looking than others I have seen too as it looks somewhat porous although it there really are no holes in the material. The outer layer appears to be slightly thicker than the middle. I hope you can see what I am talking about in the picture.

BBT4_zpsaj3zlbjk.png

Right now I still need to test this ball to see if it will hit my bag, I am playing the B330-RX and the Callaway Chrome Soft so I am hoping this that this ball might change my mind, comparable performance at a lower price point is something everyone would welcome, I know I would. So far in the area I put the most weight on, the short game, I could play this ball. It doesn't roll out excessively on short shots or pitches. It does have a harder feel on putts to me but again nothing I could not ger used to but I would think it would take me a while as I have played the B330-RX yellow for years and recently added the Chrome Soft to my bag also. I play the Chrome Soft Truvis often so as to make my ball easily identifiable when playing in groups. Honestly with iron shots I can tell very little difference, I play TM M1 irons and they pretty much make all golf balls sound the same at impact. With the driver this ball has a harder feel to me but again nothing excessive, comparing to the urethane covers on the balls I regularly play this was to be expected but I was surprised at they were not as hard feeling as I expected.

Ball flight is slightly lower for me and side spin seems to be less than I am used to. I really hope I still have some of these to put in play on a windy day this fall or spring, they may play better than the Bridgestone e-6 (hands down the best ball I have ever played in windy conditions) the ball I have been putting in play on those type of days. That single aspect would sell me at least a couple of dozen each year for those type of days, early results seem to indicate they just might fit that niche for me.

I am hesitant to comment on any distance increase/decrease as I am still getting used to my game after a major back surgery. I will give my impressions in my next write up. I have lost one of the test balls and then obviously lost another when I cut one in half. With the 4 remaining I will be glad to do any comparisons anyone might wish me to do. As much a fan as I am of Bridgestone I promise to give you as unbiased an answer as possible. As always I welcome any questions and each of us testing will be happy to answer any and all questions.

Thank you Bridgestone and MGS for this testing opportunity!

DD, Great write up.. I also play the Bridgstone E6 soft alot, and like them.. if you can compare them head to head and lets see how they each fair.. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reesedw said:

DD, Great write up.. I also play the Bridgstone E6 soft alot, and like them.. if you can compare them head to head and lets see how they each fair.. 

I will be glad to, I have some right now and will be on the course this Wednesday and again Friday.  

Congrats to all the testers! Very cool what MGS and Bridgestone are doing here.

Would be great if any of the testers could compare these to the AVX and give some feedback, especially with the amount of side spin with the driver and overall distance comparison.

Thanks guys and have fun testing.

• Like 1

The last version of the e6 before they split it off into two different models was one of my all-time favorite balls, so I'll be following this one for sure. Great intros so far, everyone!

• Like 1

Congrats to all the testers! Very cool what MGS and Bridgestone are doing here.
Would be great if any of the testers could compare these to the AVX and give some feedback, especially with the amount of side spin with the driver and overall distance comparison.
Thanks guys and have fun testing.

I can tell you that I’ve played with an AVX and these, the bridgestones are much straighter off the tee. Distance I can’t compare because I didn’t play them side to side but the Bridgestone was longer the PV1

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 2

Do they really need a ball in between the e6, (7, 8, or whatever they call it) and the RX line? I suppose they want to compete with Q-Star Tour, Chrome SS, and so on.
From my experience I only really see golfers buy the cheapest ball or the $45 range.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, GC70 said:

Do they really need a ball in between the e6, (7, 8, or whatever they call it) and the RX line? I suppose they want to compete with Q-Star Tour, Chrome SS, and so on.
From my experience I only really see golfers buy the cheapest ball or the $45 range.

It seems like many of the companies tend to muddy the waters a bit. I would think an appropriate line-up would be: 1) Lower grade - for occasional golfers that don't really care about the ball; 2) Tour grade - for those that need or want tour level performance and are willing to pay a premium; and 3) Mid grade - for people like me that want performance approaching tour quality ball but aren't willing to spend >$45 for a dozen when I still lose too many. For some reason, $35 dollars sounds more palatable to me, although the argument can be made that I waste more than $10 in the time it takes me to lose a dozen balls.

I suppose there is another level that encompasses "cheap" for the person that may play a few times a year and just needs something for the scramble they were talked into playing, but it seems that not all manufacturers make a ball in this category.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Apes44 said:

I can tell you that I’ve played with an AVX and these, the bridgestones are much straighter off the tee. Distance I can’t compare because I didn’t play them side to side but the Bridgestone was longer the PV1

Thanks Apes44, appreciate the feedback.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2018 at 4:21 AM, Reesedw said:

Reesedw, when I checked I did not have any e6 soft golf balls, I did however have the e6 Speed and these were my observations.  They both traveled pretty much the same distance, neither ball was difficult to work right to left or left to right.  They SS Soft seemed to fly slightly higher and stopped on the greens better.  Surprisingly they both felt very similar at impact but I would say the SS Soft did feel slightly softer.  I will try to get a sleeve of the e6 Softs and do a head to head on them soon.  

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, DawgDaddy said:

Reesedw, when I checked I did not have any e6 soft golf balls, I did however have the e6 Speed and these were my observations.  They both traveled pretty much the same distance, neither ball was difficult to work right to left or left to right.  They SS Soft seemed to fly slightly higher and stopped on the greens better.  Surprisingly they both felt very similar at impact but I would say the SS Soft did feel slightly softer.  I will try to get a sleeve of the e6 Softs and do a head to head on them soon.  

Interesting - I bought a box of e6 distance yesterday at Dicks and it was marked new for 2017. Is there a 2018 ball? FYI they were marked down from 29. to 21.