Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Perfect Practice Putting Mat - Review

DriverBreaker

Perfect Practice Putting Mat Review

By Chasing Scratch

If you’re like me, you need to practice your putting……. A lot…… I mean take the time you want to practice each month, multiply it by 10, then add 10 hours to that.  Let’s face it, of all the skills in the game of golf, putting is something many of us amateurs tend to practice the least.  When was the last time you heard people at the course talking ‘bout “Man I spent 5 hours last week on my putting, and I just can’t get enough!”  The putter is hit more times in a single round than any other club yet we have this avoidance affair with it.  We’ll smash driver for hours on the range, look at the watch, and give 5 minutes to putting.

I’m guilty of this myself.  As someone who knows I need to practice my putting more, it’s just not that much fun.  It’s also not very convenient for me.  The closest course to my home is 25 minutes away.  50 minutes in the car is a large commitment for me just to practice putting several days per week.

So given my goal of scratch golf, my knowledge of statistics, and my passion for improvement, I started looking into “at home” putting training aids.  I searched around on the internet for everything from putting mats, auto-return systems, and DIY putting platform building guides. 

I liked a few of the products just fine and was narrowing down my options to a few of the mats.  I know several had great reviews and even skill-type-games you can play, but I just couldn’t get over not having the ball fall into a cup.  There is something satisfying about seeing the golf ball fall into a hole and disappear.  So I started to plan out a putting platform build.  I had the specs and was all set to go to the store and spend a few days knocking it out.

Literally the night before I was going to go to the store, I stumbled upon a page on Instagram called “Perfect Practice Golf” and saw their putting mat.  They had a giveaway contest going on for the PGA Championship so I threw my name in for the drawing.  I decided to wait and see if I got lucky before I built my platform and (wouldn’t you know it!)  I won!  So I decided to hold off on building a platform to see if this thing was any good.

Their Instagram page showed quite a few PGA Tour players (e.g., Tony Finau, Marc Leishman, Smiley Kaufman, see their quotes below) who were using their putting mat so I figured it would be good enough for me.

1388115623_PGATourpros.JPG.d4199c05c80a163576b05b959038056b.JPG
Quality and features

When it arrived, the first thing I noticed was that the actual putting carpet was top notch.  I’m sure you’ve all seen the putting mats you can buy at the big box stores and the carpet they come with looks like something that is made out of cardboard.  You have to lay encyclopedias on it and even then you may have some creases, it never lays flat, etc.  Straight out of the box, this thing unrolled and lay flat.  You could literally start putting on it right out the box!

The actual material feels a lot like velour (that's the best way I can describe it although it is not a perfect description).  They call it “crystal velvet,” but all I know is it is a very pure rolling surface.  A plus is that you can vacuum it as well.

On that mat, you’ll find printed markings for every foot and smaller marks for every inch (it looks like a giant ruler).  You also have two alignment lines (one for the regular sized hole and one for the mini-hole).  As a golfer who struggles with “seeing the line” over my putts, the alignment line really helps.

DSC_7616.thumb.jpg.31c14fa481f87ad9b956bc20610c93fb.jpg
The mat also features an incline up to the holes, to ensure a confident stroke and to assist with the gravity-fed ball return system.  On their first version, the base and return ramp were made out of plastic.  It had a good weight to it and I had no complaints.  On their newest model, they made some upgrades to the base material.  Namely, it is now made of wood instead of plastic, there is an insert-able backstop to catch putts hit with too much gusto, extra space behind the holes to catch balls, and the return ramp has magnets to connect the pieces.  Each of these upgrade adds much more “high quality” feel to the overall product.  They did not change the crystal velvet putting surface, and in my opinion they didn’t need to.  It’s great as is.

DSC_7628.thumb.jpg.7a3ffd8a02c1a54c4c53d092680d0fb7.jpg
With the original version, my kids had a tendency to hit the ball past the holes and off the mat.  They were more than happy to chase the balls down the hallway, but it was a bit of an oversight in the original design.  This has been fixed in the newest version.  It would take a freaking missile launch of a putt to blast it off the mat now.

For the price, I’d be hard pressed to find a better putting training aid.  At just over $100, you get a high quality putting surface and the mental boost of seeing a ball fall into a hole over and over and over again.  You can roll it up, stick it under your bed, and putt every single day, rain or shine, all from the comfort of your home. 

This thing rolls fast and true.  They claim it rolls up to a 14 on the stimp if you put it on hard floors (think wood floors or concrete), and you can slow it down by putting it on carpet.  When I put it on my bedroom carpet, it is noticeably slower than when it is on the tile floor.

If I were to have a critique, it would be that I wish the mat were just about a 1/4 inch thicker.  I have tile floor in my home and carpet in the bed rooms.  When putting on the tile floor, you can get a bump here or there (due to the gaps in the tiles and grout).  I fixed this by using some runner rugs we have in the hallway and I typically just put them under the mat.  I can’t be too critical, because I know that adding more thickness would increase the price, add to shipping, etc.  Overall it is a solid putting mat well worth the price.  I have hit hundreds of putts on the original model and the newest model and have yet to notice any depressions or grooves in the surface.  I know this is a concern for any putting mat, but so far so good on this one.

Performance on the course

For the first few weeks that I had the original Perfect Practice Golf putting mat, I couldn’t get enough of it.  My kids and I would spend hours throughout the day hitting 4 footers, 6 footers, 8 footers, etc.  We even came up with a trick shot and had a blast doing it (see video below)! 

[/url]  
My son and I came up with other putting games to play on it to keep it fun.  My on the course putting showed definite improvement as well!  I rarely had less than 35 putts per round before and quite often a few three putts.  When I was putting consistently with the Perfect Practice mat, I didn’t have a round over 32 putts.  Those pesky 6-7 foot par save putts were falling with much more consistency.  I felt like I had a real chance to hole everything inside of 10 feet.  Seeing the ball fall into a hole over and over and over while practicing at home is such a mental boost for my game.
I haven’t played golf in over a month, much less practiced on my mat (life just got very very crazy in the Chasing Scratch home).  I want to make myself a personal goal of hitting 50 putts per day to see how good I can get.  Since I have a solid mat in the comfort of my own home, there really is no excuse.  If I want to get to scratch golf, I need to get those putts per round down to 30 or under consistently.  The only way to get better is to practice.  I’ve got a great practice aid to do it, now I just need the determination and dedication.
At $130, I don’t think you can go wrong with this training aid.  The upgrades are a nice improvement over the original version, and the putting surface is top notch.  Take a look at their webpage
(click here) and consider the Perfect Practice Golf mat if you are in the market for a putting setup for the home, office, or wherever really.  They sell out quickly when they get their shipments in, so they are on pre-order right now.
I hope you enjoyed this review!  Now I’m off to go work on my putting!
V3main_540x.jpg.f4e0b78ca7e83f352dc289956f0a28fc.jpg
[/url](Note:  The images used in this review are used with permission from the company's website)
[/url][/url]  
Edited by ChasingScratch

Instagram:  @tony_rosselli_

:SuperSpeed:Training

Pre training max driver speed: 124mph

Current: 130mph

WITB:

Driver: :ping-small:G425 Max, 9*

Woods: :taylormade-small: 2007 Burner TP 3 wood and 5 wood

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z765 4-PW (1 degree flat) with KBS $-130 shafts

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 50/12/F, 54/10/S and 58/12/D

Putter:  L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1

Have you tried a Big Moss putting carpet?  I've had one for over 10 years.  It rolls very well and I think is much better than a carpet with all sorts of lines, markings, etc.  They make a bunch of different sizes.  I believe mine is the Augusta.  roughly 3' x 10' with two cups.  

I looked into the Big Moss mats but they are outside my budget. Maybe one day. I hear they are great.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

WITB:

Good review and good info!

Funny coincidence .. I have something almost identical (a holiday gift from my wife a few years ago); same design and construction, but with only a single line into the center of each hole.

The other main difference is the surface on mine is more like an astroturf; plus there are *two* surface textures - split lengthwise so putting to either hole uses a different texture, which presumably is meant to be different speeds (tho I tossed the box it came in and there is no logo or label on it to identify a brand so I can't find it online to look up). Anyway, I get a lot of use out of it and it has definitely helped me refine my stroke and speed control.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Good review and good info!
Funny coincidence .. I have something almost identical (a holiday gift from my wife a few years ago); same design and construction, but with only a single line into the center of each hole.
The other main difference is the surface on mine is more like an astroturf; plus there are *two* surface textures - split lengthwise so putting to either hole uses a different texture, which presumably is meant to be different speeds (tho I tossed the box it came in and there is no logo or label on it to identify a brand so I can't find it online to look up). Anyway, I get a lot of use out of it and it has definitely helped me refine my stroke and speed control.

Thanks for the comment!

On their first version, it had a black plastic base that you would find on some other brands’ putting mats (e.g., Maxfli). They came up with the new wooden one with the backstop and the gap behind the hole. Both are great updates.

I personally like the lines on the mat. For someone who struggle with visualization, the line gives me mental practice.

One of these days I’ll try and convince my wife that we need one of those perfection platform putting systems with the virtual lines from a projection system and the ability to create an my break, incline, etc you want. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

WITB: