Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

My brief email exchange with legend, Barney Adams

J.B. TexasEx

I've transcribed my brief email exchange with golf equipment legend, Barney Adams, below regarding my friend's full-bag fitting at Club Champion.

Please take his feedback FWIW. 😉

Sent: Friday, September 06, 2019 6:54 PM
To: JB <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Club Fitting

Well in questions like this I refer to the expert Mr Golf Ball. Is it behaving badly such that when you try out newer equipment it gets its act together? Or is the issue Jeff who just wants new stuff. Now no problem with new just understand that much of the new “technology” comes from the marketing department. As for your friend and what he paid, I hope his golf balls are overjoyed.

On Fri, Sep 6, 2019 at 2:51 PM JB <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi, Barney

In your opinion, what is the most important component in a golf club for mid-handicappers? My stock 7-iron is 160 yards. Not a high swing speed, but above average.

I watched a mid-handicapper friend get fitted by Club Champion and thought their $5k "full bag" makeover with Gucci shafts was ridiculously expensive. Too rich for my blood.

I'm still playing 1999 Ben Hogan Apex Plus irons, so I like a more traditional look with some perimeter-weighting & forgiveness. PGA Superstore offers a $50 "Tour Experience".

Should I start there?

JB

My :1590477705_SunMountain: C-130 cart bag currently includes;

Driver: :srixon-small: z565 10.5*, Miyazaki Kaula Mizu 6 S-Flex
Fairways:  :callaway-small: X-Hot 15* & 18*, Project X PXv R-Flex
Irons: :benhogan-small:Apex Plus, 4-PW, Apex S4-Flex
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CG10; 50*, 54*, 58*, Dynamic Gold W-flex 

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot Pro Blade #2
Grips: Golf Pride MCC-Plus 4 & Lamkin UTx
Ball: Kirkland Signature 3-Piece 

Basically look at performance results to determine what you need. Compare what you have to the “new” and see what changes.
This is the same thing most people on here and fitters say. Like the SIM thread until you try
It you don’t know what improvements you may or may not see. Who cares what the latest YouTube star sees with the club.

The Gucci shaft options at club champion are partially the fault of your friend; he should have communicated price ranges and goals during the initial conversation of the fitting.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

Basically look at performance results to determine what you need. Compare what you have to the “new” and see what changes.
This is the same thing most people on here and fitters say. Like the SIM thread until you try
It you don’t know what improvements you may or may not see. Who cares what the latest YouTube star sees with the club.

The Gucci shaft options at club champion are partially the fault of your friend; he should have communicated price ranges and goals during the initial conversation of the fitting.

Nailed it. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

Any fitting that doesn't start with a discussion about goals and budget is a bad fitting. 

Edit: and not blaming the fitter. The person getting fitted shares equal blame 

1 hour ago, jlukes said:

You should have followed up his reply with asking him how overjoyed your golf ball would be if you used a $250+ putter shaft

Is that an Adams shaft? 😅

6 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Barney Adams is the man behind the Stability putter shaft. 

Too funny. 

Have you tried it? How did it work for you?

33 minutes ago, J.B. TexasEx said:

Too funny. 

Didnt try it in my putter, but tried it in another.  Thought it felt odd and didnt like it.  Supposedly the new tour version feels better, but that's even more expensive.

19 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Didnt try it in my putter, but tried it in another.  Thought it felt odd and didnt like it.  Supposedly the new tour version is better, but that's even more expensive.

There ain't no way in hell I'm spending $250 on a putter shaft. Sorry, Barney.

But, I'm a non-believer and a cheap bastard. This has been well-established, so I'll try to refrain from commenting on the newest clubs because I come across too negatively. Don't wanna spoil everyone's fun with my skepticism. 

3 hours ago, J.B. TexasEx said:

I have tried the shaft several times in a Bettinardi putter vs the same Bettinardi without the shaft. The putters I used were part of this review:  https://mygolfspy.com/tested-breakthrough-golf-technology-stability-shaft-for-putters/

Didn't have a SAM or Quintic to use for comparison to dive into the numbers for when I was goofing off.    I found it felt different but can't definitively say is improved my putting.  Just like any other head or shaft,  they have different weights and flexes and as a result peformance will vary.

2 hours ago, J.B. TexasEx said:

But, I'm a non-believer and a cheap bastard. This has been well-established, so I'll try to refrain from commenting on the newest clubs because I come across too negatively. Don't wanna spoil everyone's fun with my skepticism. 

Nothing wrong with skepticism and being a non believer.  This forum is about posting your thoughts and what you have experienced with your own testing and evaluation.  I am very fortunate that I am one of the Most Wanted testers so I have exposure to lots of equipment and post my thoughts based on my experiences.  

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Nothing wrong with skepticism and being a non believer.  This forum is about posting your thoughts and what you have experienced with your own testing and evaluation.  I am very fortunate that I am one of the Most Wanted testers so I have exposure to lots of equipment and post my thoughts based on my experiences.  

My challenges are usually twofold;

1. I don't have access to a Trackman or other device that can give me the data necessary to make an informed decision
  2. I don't have the budget to purchase the latest and greatest, so I "settle" for good enough

But, I'm really not knowledgeable enough about the subtle differences in club specs to make the effort. To me, minutiae is only relevant to somebody like TXG's Matt who has a consistent, repeatable swing. As a 13.4, mine isn't, so I leave the hyper-analytics to competitive players with < 6 HDCP.

14 minutes ago, J.B. TexasEx said:

1. I don't have access to a Trackman or other device that can give me the data necessary to make an informed decision
  2. I don't have the budget to purchase the latest and greatest, so I "settle" for good enough

But, I'm really not knowledgeable enough about the subtle differences in club specs to make the effort. To me, minutiae is only relevant to somebody like TXG's Matt who has a consistent, repeatable swing. As a 13.4, mine isn't, so I leave the hyper-analytics to competitive players with < 6 HDCP.

Don't underestimate the benefits a legitimate fitting can have on a high handicapper

When you have the time, watch some of these videos 

Sam's driver fitting should be eye opening 

1 hour ago, J.B. TexasEx said:

Golf stores generally have some type of launch monitor.   No matter what equipment you are getting, new or old you can do fitting.   Try various heads and shafts and see what works and feels good.   You can always buy used and put things together.    Buy, try, sell,  repeat!

High handicappers would be surprised how repeatable their swings really are.  As a 13.4 you are are definitely in the repeatable range.   I guess it depends on what you consider hyper-analytics;  finding equipment that works for you isn't being hyper analytical;  it is about finding the tools that help you make the game easier.  

1 hour ago, J.B. TexasEx said:

Most manufacturers have free demo days and their reps normally have monitors. Some end have times reserved to do a fitting 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1