U.S. Open Championship

15 hours ago, Rickp said:

I have not been a Jon Rahm fan but after the Memorial and how it handled it , I’m now in his corner. 

I've been indifferent on Rahm, but after the Memorial and this US Open, he's higher on my list. I watched his press conference after, and his head seems to be in a much better place now - getting married and having a son can do that. Maybe he'll leave the occasional hothead routine behind, that can't hurt.

Those two birdie putts on 17 & 18 were beyond clutch, and the unbelievable 65 foot downhill slider he made to beat DJ in the BMW playoff last year was otherworldly as well. Watch out for Rahm!

• Like 1
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B (replaced ER2)
  • Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/despite-moaning-and-complaining-torrey-pines-should-host-more-us-opens

This one is for my buddy LICC.  It doesn't prove either of us "right" about Torrey.  It shows that there is a wide difference of opinion about the course.  Architects aren't in love with it.  Tour players generally think it's great. 

In fact I had to laugh.  I walked into the Men's locker room at my club on Friday and one of our pros was sitting watching the US Open.  He played on the PGA and European tours in the 70's and 80's.  I asked him if he had played Torrey.  He said, "Oh yeah, it's spectacular.  One of my favorite courses in the world."

Great win by Rahm - Everybody broke at some point except for him.  Exactly how most US Opens play out.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

24 minutes ago, revkev said:

This one is for my buddy LICC.  It doesn't prove either of us "right" about Torrey.  It shows that there is a wide difference of opinion about the course.  Architects aren't in love with it.  Tour players generally think it's great. 

Some of this goes to what we each want to see in a major tournament.  I enjoyed the US Open for a few reasons.  First, par was a good score, but attainable.  Second, lots of players were in the mix, and they were players with a wide variety of strengths (and weaknesses).  I'm not sure that architectural brilliance would have made it any more enjoyable to watch.  

• Like 1

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

7 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Some of this goes to what we each want to see in a major tournament.  I enjoyed the US Open for a few reasons.  First, par was a good score, but attainable.  Second, lots of players were in the mix, and they were players with a wide variety of strengths (and weaknesses).  I'm not sure that architectural brilliance would have made it any more enjoyable to watch.  

Agreed

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

On 6/23/2021 at 3:00 PM, revkev said:

Agreed

On 6/23/2021 at 2:22 PM, revkev said:

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/despite-moaning-and-complaining-torrey-pines-should-host-more-us-opens

In fact I had to laugh.  I walked into the Men's locker room at my club on Friday and one of our pros was sitting watching the US Open.  He played on the PGA and European tours in the 70's and 80's.  I asked him if he had played Torrey.  He said, "Oh yeah, it's spectacular.  One of my favorite courses in the world."

Great win by Rahm - Everybody broke at some point except for him.  Exactly how most US Opens play out.

Hi @revkev - I don't disagree with your sentiment, but I can't respond with my thoughts on this because the moderators have given me a warning that if people here don't like my disagreeing with them I could get suspended or banned.

Without agreeing or disagreeing, I'll say that it looks like Torrey is not going to be hosting another men's professional major for any time in the foreseeable (10 years?) future, and I won't miss it compared to the other courses the USGA (and most of the PGA) are planning.

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

Sports Illustrated conducted an anonymous survey of PGA Tour players a few years ago. Only two courses finished ahead of Torrey Pines in the "worst course on Tour" category. 

https://www.sportscasting.com/these-are-the-pga-tour-golf-courses-that-every-pro-hates/

And yet it made for a fairly entertaining tournament, difficult enough to make par a pretty good score, lots of players in contention, and didn't cater to any one specific type of player.  In many ways, I care more about the quality of the tournament than I do about the players' favorites.

I'd have to agree with many, the architecture seems to be a lot of the same thing.  but it was a really good tourny

• Like 1

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

And yet it made for a fairly entertaining tournament, difficult enough to make par a pretty good score, lots of players in contention, and didn't cater to any one specific type of player.  In many ways, I care more about the quality of the tournament than I do about the players' favorites.

I'd have to agree with many, the architecture seems to be a lot of the same thing.  but it was a really good tourny

Listen, I get it! It was a fantastic watch. But quality of play doesn't automatically equate to quality of golf course. Bay Hill does all the things you mention. Nobody is suggesting Bay Hill is worthy of a US Open. Keeping Torrey Pines in the "rota" simply to keep Southern California in the "rota" is a flawed concept. If the USGA wants to have a US Open at a regular Tour stop, Riviera is a much better choice.

People blew a gasket over Merion. Before the 2013 US Open was played, we heard "it's too short", "the best players today will destroy it", "it can't hold up to the best players and modern technology." What we got was an unbelievable venue hosting a remarkable championship with a winning score of +1. Not only did it silence the pre-championship critics, it thrived in the process. Torrey doesn't inspire any of those things. At least not in my mind.

Just my opinion!

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Listen, I get it! It was a fantastic watch. But quality of play doesn't automatically equate to quality of golf course. Bay Hill does all the things you mention. Nobody is suggesting Bay Hill is worthy of a US Open. Keeping Torrey Pines in the "rota" simply to keep Southern California in the "rota" is a flawed concept. If the USGA wants to have a US Open at a regular Tour stop, Riviera is a much better choice.

People blew a gasket over Merion. Before the 2013 US Open was played, we heard "it's too short", "the best players today will destroy it", "it can't hold up to the best players and modern technology." What we got was an unbelievable venue hosting a remarkable championship with a winning score of +1. Not only did it silence the pre-championship critics, it thrived in the process. Torrey doesn't inspire any of those things. At least not in my mind.

Just my opinion!

Well said!

47 minutes ago, sixcat said:

If the USGA wants to have a US Open at a regular Tour stop, Riviera is a much better choice.

Since you brought this into the conversation, I prefer that the US Open and PGA to be at courses that aren't on the regular Tour, just to bring different venues into the action.  I also understand why the organizers like west coast venues, the ad revenue for prime-time golf telecasts has to be great.  

• Like 2

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

58 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Just my opinion!

So we should give all the credit to the USGA? (blasphemy). If the goal of the US Open is to identify the best player in the world Torrey has delivered 100% of the time. Tiger (I think was #1 when he won) and Rahm was #1 after his victory. I have played Torrey and it is meh from a design perspective however that doesn't mean it didn't produce. 

• Like 1

:taylormade-small:             SIM 9.5* (GD XC 6X) 

:taylormade-small:             SIM 15* (GD DI 7X) 

:taylormade-small:             3 DHY (GD DI HY8X)

:srixon-small:                    ZX7 4-PW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 49 08 F ( KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 59 04 L  (KBS 610)

:scotty-cameron-1:                Special Select SquareBack 2 33"

:titelist-small:                     ProV1

Twitter                     @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

10 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Since you brought this into the conversation, I prefer that the US Open and PGA to be at courses that aren't on the regular Tour, just to bring different venues into the action.  I also understand why the organizers like west coast venues, the ad revenue for prime-time golf telecasts has to be great.  

I agree completely with preference of non-Tour venues hosting. I'm looking forward to LACC. The Walker Cup there a few years ago was outstanding. I also understand the east coast bias for wanting a certain number of west coast majors. I just feel there are better options than Torrey. LACC being one of those.

11 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

So we should give all the credit to the USGA? (blasphemy). If the goal of the US Open is to identify the best player in the world Torrey has delivered 100% of the time. Tiger (I think was #1 when he won) and Rahm was #1 after his victory. I have played Torrey and it is meh from a design perspective however that doesn't mean it didn't produce. 

I couldn't care less who gets credit. Torrey delivered a quality watch and a deserving champion twice.  So did Chambers Bay and Erin Hills. I still think the USGA has better options for venues than Torrey.

• Like 1