Snell Golf Balls

JFish350

I'll need to update my profile signature from the Snell MTB Black, to their new Prime X ... just rcvd their new balls ystrdy and very much looking fwd to putting them into play this Sunday. 

And like a few others have mentioned on here, it was MGS that introduced me to Snell back in '18 thru '19 season and I played some of my best golf with the MTB Blacks. They really were a great for me, especially off the tee with my driver. But alas, Covid and supply chain issues affected them and they limited their orders to 2 dzn at a time with no bulk pricing breaks ... so onto Vice it was. 

Was a Titleist white box tester last season, and was shocked by how much more distance I was getting with the ProV1x. Have always been a high ball hitter and previously I always played non-x version lines of golf balls from different OEMs. From the Vice Pro Plus, to the ProV1x and TP5x, I really was hitting my drives an extra 7-10 yards further. Excited to see how their new Prime Xs will do. 

Also, really love the new Snell logo. 

Driver: :ping-small: G410 SFT 10.5*

3W: :cobra-small:  Speedzone 14.5*

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 19* & 21*

Irons: image.png.ec9b0a77ef708074b5547162186659f4.png  Forged Tec One Length (5i-GW)

Wedges: image.png.3c33ed301e51199de9e62f474f52b6e0.png T22 55* & 59*

Putter: image.png.f53011d6b358811f2c4cdcc166aeeffa.png  002 Mid-Mallet

Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft LS & :Snell: Prime-X

image.png

Played their new Prime X  during my back 9 ystrdy and came away impressed. Felt like reconnecting with an old friend, becoming familiar with his/her personality once again, but they’re just that much better this time around. Lol 

Played the Chrome Soft X LS and I reeeally love that ball off the tee. For me and my 105 swing speed, it just works and goes far. 

Whereas the Prime X felt more familiar to me around the green. Had b2b birdies with the Snell, too. 

Driver: :ping-small: G410 SFT 10.5*

3W: :cobra-small:  Speedzone 14.5*

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 19* & 21*

Irons: image.png.ec9b0a77ef708074b5547162186659f4.png  Forged Tec One Length (5i-GW)

Wedges: image.png.3c33ed301e51199de9e62f474f52b6e0.png T22 55* & 59*

Putter: image.png.f53011d6b358811f2c4cdcc166aeeffa.png  002 Mid-Mallet

Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft LS & :Snell: Prime-X

image.png

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, the4hornes said:

I LOVED the old Snell ball. The new ball is OK, performance wise, but durability is an issue for me. I'm going to try a different ball when my last dozen of Snell is gone.

There are lots of choices out there and buying at the right time of year brings down cost on other brands.

I too love the Snell Black MTB.  I'd been playing Srixon Z Star XV and decided to break out a sleeve of MTB Black during my last round.  I'd forgotten how much I like the MTB.  Others must feel the same way because the MTB is $30 a dozen in bulk quantities with no packaging.  You can still get them but be prepared to pay $60 for two dozen in a bag.

Tour Edge Exotics

Cleveland

Odyssey

• 1 month later...

Bought a trial pack.  Three balls of the Prime X were so scuffed through 18 I won't use them again.  I know Snell knows about the issue, but I've never seen a brand do that before.  Gonna probably stick with the vice and try the pro plus.

Edited by WAF4011

PXG Gen 5 9 degree driver, Sub70 949 3h and 4h, PXG Gen 4 5-W, PXG Forged 50, 54, 58, Mizuno M-Craft V putter, Sun Mountain Bag C150 bag, Vice Pro Plus

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not noted for my overwhelming club head speed.  My driver swing speed can likely be timed with an hour glass.  It's about mid to upper 70's.  I'd been using mostly Srixon Q-Star Tour balls until I experimented with OnCore since they were located in Western New York where I was born, raised and had my career.  Go Bills!  I liked the Elixr (2020 better than the 2022 version) and the Vero X1.   I considered myself a homer for supporting a local ball manufacturer.

When I read the MGS article on Dean Snell's view of USGA/R&A's proposal for ball modifications to roll back distance, I thought his comments were sound, so I checked out Snell.  Turns out Dean Snell graduated a few years after me from the same university (UMass Lowell) and with the same major (Plastics Engineering).  Continuing my homer purchasing tendency, I had to try the new MTB Prime!  I picked up three dozen with their recent magnetic golf towel promotion.  

Given I don't hit the ball that far and typically hit 75% of my fairways, I don't loose too many golf balls.  In fact, I typically will end up with more balls than I started with as I find balls looking for my partners' balls in the water, woods and mangroves.  So, I tend to play the same ball for three or four rounds.  As mentioned above, I did notice that the MTB Prime balls did scuff a little more than other models.  In the category of "so-what" observations, I also noticed that my blue and red Sharpie dots I used to mark my ball had a tendency to also wear off quicker than other balls I've used.   All in all, I thought the MTB Prime was a very good golf ball.  In fact, on my second round using it, I broke 80 for the first time in eight months.  They will be staying in my bag.  Go UMass Lowell River Hawks!

Edit:  Some had asked for pictures.  Below are an OnCore Elixer (2020 version) and Snell MTB Prime next to each other.  Both have been played about two rounds, maybe three.   As you can see, the Snell MTB does show a bit more wear, both the cover and Sharpie markings.   Yes, that's a dog print stencil on the ball.

BallsDogPrint.jpg.270cd4a6e89c7d8e4deb377662a1c620.jpg  Ballslogo.jpg.9bd3891bc2bbb680eafcc707e3ebe4cd.jpg

Edited by Golf2Much
Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

And they are running a sale now too!

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

• 2 weeks later...

Snell sent out an email blast earlier this week saying they were out of stock with their MTB Prime balls.  They were showing a 10 day back order with shipments starting in late October.  

Farther into the email, they noted that some higher swing speed players were reporting some cover sheering with the MTB Prime balls.  Snell acknowledged that this has been corrected in their manufacturing process.  As a result, they were offering some remaining inventory of their original batch of MTB Prime balls at a discount ($23.99 a dozen).

It's reassuring that Snell heard and responded to the issue of cover sheering and I look forward to trying the next batch of MTB Prime balls once I'm through the two plus dozen I have left.  

On the upside, I'm happy to know that my mid-70's driver swing speed is now considered a "higher swing speed".    It's obvious the marks on the above pictures could not have been a result of a cart path or other obstruction!  It had to be swing speed!

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

just order the 5 dozen of MTB black haven't played them in a couple of years, hopefully they hold up seems some people had some issues with the cover. I will let you guys know how it goes  

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/13/2023 at 9:58 AM, Nolan220 said:

just order the 5 dozen of MTB black haven't played them in a couple of years, hopefully they hold up seems some people had some issues with the cover. I will let you guys know how it goes  

The cover issue seems to be fixed. He was selling the older balls at a big discount with the warning about the cover.

On 9/25/2023 at 2:13 PM, WAF4011 said:

Bought a trial pack.  Three balls of the Prime X were so scuffed through 18 I won't use them again.  I know Snell knows about the issue, but I've never seen a brand do that before.  Gonna probably stick with the vice and try the pro plus.

I did finally try the Prime (after getting tired of losing my current gamer in the leaves) and it was way more durable than the X.  Felt great off the tee and around the green.  I liked it.  Not sure if I liked it more than the Vice Pro Plus, which is what I was losing, but.  I wouldn't hesitate to play the Prime.

PXG Gen 5 9 degree driver, Sub70 949 3h and 4h, PXG Gen 4 5-W, PXG Forged 50, 54, 58, Mizuno M-Craft V putter, Sun Mountain Bag C150 bag, Vice Pro Plus

On 10/13/2023 at 8:58 AM, Nolan220 said:

Are you referring to the overstock of the previous cast urethane MTB Black (looks like Snell is selling 2 and 4 dozen loose bags under the clearance section) or the new MTB Prime (happens to have a black box)? If the former, that is leftover stock likely from late 2021 which was the last shipment they received from the Nassau factory and are completely unrelated to the durability discussion surrounding the Prime.

Driver:  Titleist TS2 9.5

Fairway:  Tour Edge CB4 Tour 16.5 

Irons:  Titleist 690.CB 3-PW

Wedges:  Titleist Vokey SM5 50, 56

Putter:  Odyssey Works Versa 1W

Ball:  Vice Pro Plus

11 hours ago, storm319 said:

Are you referring to the overstock of the previous cast urethane MTB Black (looks like Snell is selling 2 and 4 dozen loose bags under the clearance section) or the new MTB Prime (happens to have a black box)? If the former, that is leftover stock likely from late 2021 which was the last shipment they received from the Nassau factory and are completely unrelated to the durability discussion surrounding the Prime.

@Deepred thanks guys looks like I bought the new ones so should be good ! .. still got some pro v1s left so haven’t put the snells in play yet

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag