L.A.B. Putters - 2023 Forum Review

Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

Follow the testers main posts in the links below!

@RoverRick TESTING POST

@McGolf TESTING POST

@pozzit TESTING POST

@Splatt TESTING POST

@Syks7 TESTING POST

@TSauer TESTING POST

Favorite Review?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which tester had your favorite overall review?

2 minutes ago, GolfSpy SAM said:

I would genuinely (!) consider getting that thing in replacement of my 2.1 - and literally if only because of the (seeming) ball-collector in the middle. My ONLY complaint with the DF is that it's impossible to scoop the ball up, and I know that's ridiculous, but that thing looks slimmer in all the right ways.  Dag...I better go make some extra money 😉 

I have the 2.1 and love it.  You can still scoop it, just have to expect it to pop up and out once it reaches waist level. Haha. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

2 minutes ago, jdparker said:

I have the 2.1 and love it.  You can still scoop it, just have to expect it to pop up and out once it reaches waist level. Haha. 

You're a better scooper than I.  I've spent (cumulatively over the last year) hours trying to figure out how to get it to pop up - it always just shoots out at 40 degrees and I end up chasing it and looking SO much less-cool (which, when you know what I look like when I golf, is quite a statement). 🙂

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

7 minutes ago, GolfSpy SAM said:

You're a better scooper than I.  I've spent (cumulatively over the last year) hours trying to figure out how to get it to pop up - it always just shoots out at 40 degrees and I end up chasing it and looking SO much less-cool (which, when you know what I look like when I golf, is quite a statement). 🙂

You have to point the back end down slightly.  

1 minute ago, jdparker said:

I'm going to record a video of me chasing my ball shortly, so you can point and laugh 😉

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

On 5/2/2023 at 1:15 AM, TSauer said:

Untitled(AnimatedLogo)(Postcard)(62in).gif.60d19b9be16fe2fb26e9741387466218.gif

Hello friends, and welcome to a review unlike any other (in my best Jim Nantz voice). My name is Tyler Sauer and I hail from a small mid-western town known as Belle, Missouri. I am a 32 year golf junkie that was introduced to the game back in 2015. Spoiler alert, I’ve been addicted ever since. I have been married to my lovely wife for 3 years and we have a 19 month old that keeps us on our toes each and every day. When I was younger, I was dedicated to basketball and nothing else. In fact, golf was never something that interested me. If you would have told me in my early twenties that I’d be this hooked on the game, I would have called you crazy. I joined MGS back in 2016, but I’ve been on a slight hiatus the past couple of years simply due to being busy with our little one and of course the whole winter thing that tends to roll around every eight months or so and forces me to put golf on the back burner. I’m only slightly envious of y’all that get year-round golf weather. Anyway, I’m back baby! Happy to see everyone and excited to interact with all the newcomers I’ve missed during my hibernation.

12.jpg.cf66be15adfa9648b01af754299d3b0e.jpg     123.jpg.5772c9484b2cfa2a150bdd13d571658a.jpg    1234_3_15.jpg.bc3c119cb722af0a75c2574c9da4bfe0.jpg

My hometown course is just a few minutes from my house, and since I work remote, it tends to soak up my lunch hour most days. It’s a relatively short 9-hole track with a couple holes that can really cause some trouble. Ask me how I know. I consider myself a pretty casual golfer, I try to get in 2-3 rounds a week along with some practice time squeezed in there somewhere. If you had to distribute skill points as if you were creating my character, it would look as follows: 

7-41.png.825890d3e18aa992cf629b9d78b26e14.png

My putting is usually the one thing that remains pretty steady throughout the season. I would consider myself a good reader of the greens, but I still tend to have those slight misses on either side of the cup. Could that be the putter to blame? Could it be that maybe I’m not as good at reading as I thought? Well, that’s what we’re about to find out. L.A.B. has been in the lab creating something special, claiming you only need the correct line, good speed, and your natural stroke to sink more putts. No longer will you need to worry about returning a square face, as their tech should make it effortless to do so. I plan to put those claims to the test in a 1v1 battle where my Newport 2 squares up against the Link. The plan is to continue what I'm doing now, and that's playing lots of golf, all while paying more close attention to putting stats like SGP as well as recording distances and missed putt data. 

I am truly excited for this heavyweight bout, especially since I’ve never gamed a center shafted putter. And, since we’re on a bit of a scientific showdown I want to leave you all with my hypothesis…

IF the Link.1 face remains square throughout my stroke, THEN I will drop more putts and make the L.A.B. putter my primary, BECAUSE we all love one putts.  

(Bonus shot of my local course that I took with my drone)

118082490_10158361094290803_1116996708496789884_o_4_38.jpg.b1f14910078521f2ff07f2ee511efeef.jpg

baked(FacebookCover)(1640215px)(800105px)(40053px).gif.ed5f49829b1eaceb2fa933fbaee4bfdc.gif

I want to give a quick overview of the fitting experience I had with Sam. To begin with, L.A.B. offers remote fittings if you’re not able to make it to one of the locations that is able to fit you in person. Personally, I think that’s pretty rad! In order to complete the remote fitting, just throw on your golf shoes, record a DTL clip of you putting, and send it in. Of course there are a few other specifics, but that’s the gist of it. After the Facetime with Sam, I slipped on my kicks, busted out the tripod, and sank an imaginary 40 footer… a few times. Normally, you would email the video in and they would analyze it and get back with you. In this case, Sam wanted the video sent directly to him so we could expedite the process. Pretty cool… right?

After sending him the goods, he had a couple of concerns and wanted me to adjust some things. Unbeknownst to me, I was pretty crammed up and my sight line was a little far over the ball. I currently play a 36” putter, but luckily I had a 37” one lying around, as that’s what he wanted me to try out. Back to the tripod we went, relaxed the posture, and focused on keeping the sight line a little inside the hosel. Sam liked the second rendition much better… Now we’re cooking! He gave me the deets on what options he suggested and we rolled with it (ba dum tss). After recording both fittings, I took a look at things and put the images side by side, which made it pretty apparent that I was indeed a little crammed and in an extremely poor position. 

ScottyGifSmall.gif.878f488772e733d0b42f08ebc4727ee7.gif       checkx2.jpg.ae30f7449ae95a138b79921ab33cd563.jpg       ScottyLine_1_20.jpg.02e9bf34503675fefcda763f29ee0441.jpg

PingGifSmall.gif.4c0716d9ce8bca136af9b40378852fe8.gif      checkx1.jpg.5a73746a6ec254907b885077cd6e639d.jpg      PingLine_20.jpg.93ea676fea9e73a7628b50c9d5d7057c.jpg

Of course, getting fit by the CEO of the company you’re getting the putter from is an awesome story. But, what made it extra special was Sam’s passion about the whole experience. He wanted to make sure he was doing everything he could to assure I am going to have the best possible outcome… which is just grand!

I will leave the custom details a mystery for now, at least until the unboxing. That way we're all waiting on the UPS man!

⛳ CLICK HERE TO SEE WHAT'S IN THE BOX ⛳

If you would like to look at some early testing data, click the link below. This is still a work in progress and there will be more results posted later once I can get around to finishing those tests up!

>>> LET'S TALK NUMBERS <<<

PutterTemplate.gif.7e9a218896d96cb09fb968efa6aba565.gif

First Impressions (19.5/20)

When you think of L.A.B. Golf, what comes to mind? Do you think less strokes at the cost of looks or is it hard to even see beyond the unorthodox design that is the Mezz or DF2.1? Before testing opened, I was aware of LAB as there are a few YouTube golfers I watch religiously that play both of those aforementioned models. So, I was already intrigued. But, what really grabbed my attention was their new Link.1 model, which mimics that of a blade. Now, there are some differences there with the center shafted head and the visible weights, but I think those things give it that LAB touch and I’m able to see past it for the most part. I thought getting used to looking down at a center shafted putter would take some time, but I adjusted pretty quickly. It really does feel like hitting your traditional blade putter. I love the laser etching of the logos and the sight line, I have never seen this done before, and it is an awesome touch! There are some slight imperfections/fuzziness on the logos, which I’m assuming comes with the laser method. You can only see that if you get REALLY up close and personal, but to the naked eye you will never even notice it.

IMG-3374.jpg.cdfaf86a5ea06f4886552fb6cb4d5964.jpg IMG-3433.jpg.0851b594249fc4ddbe92dfb921599e71.jpg IMG-3432.jpg.bb7a723f96b5b0ee2ee8d0f90efe8d35.jpg

Another nice touch is the color. It may go unnoticed by most, but  when you sit it next to what I would say is the normal or most common finish, you can see the difference. It has a slightly darker, brownish tint and no glare. Nothing crazy, but something I like.

IMG-3372.jpg.a1648c20f74708d743de86d6245e229c.jpg IMG-3369.jpg.6bf0251d4c493303f60a65d8c7662727.jpg

If I had to choose one thing to gripe about with the Link, and this is a very, very nitpicky gripe, it would be the toe weights. I think it’s more of an OCD uniformity thing than anything else. Aside from that small complaint, the Link pleases my eye very much. I do like that it is a little different than most and tends to spark some putter talk with a lot of the people I play with.

IMG-3332-jpg.JPG.57514371b1b3482adbb995282a137f2a.JPG IMG-3335.JPG.ad27243fe5b4f38a72582a901b29c1c7.JPG IMG-3336.JPG.44892286e0a348cb7f34989e4ba49c5c.JPG

Speaking of the weights, they aren’t just for show. We know that putters twist during your stroke, and in order to sink putts you need to make sure that face is square at impact so you can hit your line. That is where these weights and the LAB tech come into play, claiming to reduce putter torque (face rotation) and more consistently deliver a square face at impact, no matter how slow or fast your putter stroke is. That’s where the magic is! Imagine removing that factor from putting, now all you need to focus on is your line and pace. To visualize this a little more, give this short video a watch: Why Putting Is So Hard

IMG-3368.jpg.2ec20bc417de44f1e9d7b5ae74d9fdbb.jpg

I will be putting the Link up against my two most used putters, an Evnroll ER2 and a Newport 2. I have been using the Newport 2 most recently, but have been in between the two for the past year I would say. Unfortunately, I do not have any prior stats of either of them, but will be performing several tests to gather some numbers and determine which of the three will come out on top.

The Numbers (40/40)

To start with, I wanted to put the first claim to the test. Does the LAB truly reduce torque and help my face remain constant through impact? I tested indoors on a BirdieBall putting mat at distances of 3’, 5’, 8’, and 10’. I used a laser to make sure I was lined up correctly each time that way all I would need to do is hit my line. If I could keep my face square, then I should not have any issues with making these pretty straightforward putts. I rolled 100 balls with each putter and spaced the testing out over a couple of weeks. 

PuttingData.png.0719f69abd13a795bf559ad074c58105.png

As you can tell, the Link was the clear winner here, with the Newport finishing last. The first couple distances were pretty simple putts, there was no break and all I needed to do was hit my line. Of those few I missed, I can safely say it was due to face issues. When it got to the longer putts at 8’ and 10’, there was a slight right to left break, so not only did I need to hit my line but I needed to make sure my pace was good as well. My BirdieBall is fairly quick compared to what I normally play on, so the main issue I had at first was hitting it too firm, but I was able to adjust on the later sessions. From this, I gathered that maybe I wasn’t as good of a putter as I thought I was. Maybe I have an issue with hitting my line and there’s a possibility for improvement.

Next up, I wanted to test out the longer putts from around 30’. There are days when my short game isn’t the best (more often than not) and lag putts are essential. So, I headed out to the course and tested proximity to the hole. I did those over multiple different greens with varying slopes and breaks to get the best results.

Proximity.png.1621a12ce2b9aee1ee18ee7660fc1368.png

The hardest part of this test was getting used to the Link. I did play a few rounds before getting to this test, because I struggled with distance control. A lot of times I was coming up way short, which isn’t a typical miss for me. I believe the weight of the Link played a role in this, as it is a little heavier than what I am used to. But, as you can see, after getting the hang of its stroke and characteristics, it outperformed the others significantly. A whopping 52% difference!!

Aerial shot of my proximity test. Various shots from around the green from 30 feet.

PuttGif.gif.adc46ceaaa25a901428d8e5b54bf66ef.gif

On The Course (9/10)

When we take focus off the specific test and just look at using the Link during a normal round, it’s been amazing. Not only have I gained confidence in the putts inside the 10’ range, but my chances of making those longer putts have significantly increased. Before, when the putt was beyond 15’ or 20’ I felt like I was just making the stroke and hoping for some good luck that it ended up semi close to the hole, so I could tap it in. Now, there is a real possibility of me making these putts without any luck.

I know it may sound odd to say, but it seems impossible to miss your line. I played quite a few scramble rounds over the past couple of months and I made sure to putt last or second to last just so I could get a read. It is almost unreal how many long putts were made. You may have read it in a previous comment, but there has been much praise from my golfing partners ever since I put the Link in the bag.

There are times here and there where I struggle with distance control, but I believe that will come in time. As I mentioned, I was using the Evnroll and Scotty for a while and you saw what those proximity numbers looked like. I think a couple more months with the Link and that statistic may look even better.

The Good, The Bad, The In Between (19.5/20)

There are a lot of good things to talk about, but the first and most important thing is the free online fitting. The nearest PGA Tour Superstore for me is just over 5 hours away. There is a Golf Galaxy a little over an hour away, but from what I saw, they do not carry LAB putters. So, the ability to send a video into LAB to dissect your setup and fit you remotely is huge. They want to make sure the putter is fit perfectly for you!

Another good thing, and I cannot say this enough, is the headcover quality is out of this world. When you buy a premium putter, you expect a premium headcover. A lot of times that part gets overlooked or the companies just don’t care enough. LAB is different. From the magnetic closure to the stitching to the soft, pillowy inside… It's absolutely phenomenal. If I ever lose or damage mine, I’m buying another one directly from LAB.

IMG-3395.jpg.d81e846ec6ae99d3cdfaabf5be131ec3.jpg IMG-3393.jpg.4995a4f75a4b9404a4d807adf78fae7e.jpg IMG-3392.jpg.27d2620a764131e52d299c7796927c26.jpg

One thing that may get frustrating to some is those who want to make grip adjustments to their Link. We know that changing the grip can throw off the swing weight on any club, but it also throws off the balancing ever so slightly on the LAB putters. So, if you are making a drastic change, it would be best to send it in to have it rebalanced. However, this is something that comes with purchasing a putter that is fit and balanced specifically for you.

I love that the Link is the same, but different. It’s a blade, but it’s a LAB blade. It has those touches that set it apart just enough to pique the interest of others.

One final thing, another good, is that you can always reach out to LAB with questions or concerns and Sam (CEO) or another member of his team will be happy to assist. Customer service is huge and I think LAB is right there at the top!

Play It or Trade It? (10/10)

Absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt, I will be playing this. My other putters are already nestled up inside on the rack, just waiting to gather dust. There is not much else to say here, I don’t see any reason to switch back to putters I’ve used in the past. Unless, I want to sandbag the front 9 and pull out the Link at the turn.

Closing Thoughts…

If you or someone you know has been diagnosed with mesothelioma the yips, I cannot urge you enough to give one of the putters from the LAB lineup a chance. I know you may find them a little bulky, somewhat alien-like, or just different… But, I think you will surprise yourself. I, for one, did not think my putting could improve without lots of practice sessions or maybe even a couple of lessons. However, I am already shaving strokes off of my game by doing neither of those things. There may be a small period early on where you may have some rough patches for a couple of rounds, but I guarantee once you and the new putter work things out, the relationship is going to be smooth sailing.

FINAL SCORE: 98

**Disclaimer, I have developed these weird habits since using the Link.1:

unnamed.gif.944522413704b67b1f98e270637ecd6b.gif ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif.091de7b1c0b18ad98ae5e2d492522c91.gif

Great write up!  I especially like the drone feature of you putting from above.  BTW .... what kind of drone do you use?  The pics are great from that height.  

I also twirl my MEZZ.1 putter like that.  For some reason, it just feels like it's supposed to do that.  Especially after you make one for birdie & you're walking off the green.  HA!  

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM9 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

3 minutes ago, golfinnut said:

Great write up!  I especially like the drone feature of you putting from above.  BTW .... what kind of drone do you use?  The pics are great from that height.  

I also twirl my MEZZ.1 putter like that.  For some reason, it just feels like it's supposed to do that.  Especially after you make one for birdie & you're walking off the green.  HA!  

Thanks, I appreciate it! I use a DJI Mavic Air 2. 

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

2 minutes ago, TSauer said:

Thanks, I appreciate it! I use a DJI Mavic Air 2. 

Cool thanks.  I'll look that one up.  👍

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM9 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

5 minutes ago, golfinnut said:

Cool thanks.  I'll look that one up.  👍

No problem! They're really fun to mess around it. Like you said, the image/video quality is incredible, and that gif isn't the best representation since it was compressed to no end. I bought it a few years ago in hopes on using it on vacations and whatnot, but it's really only been used for golf pretty much. 

I have been trying to find a used DJI - to do the same - especially as I absolutely love that viewpoint.  I'm also an amateur photog, so having something small and light in my bag that I can send up for shots like that would be awesome. 

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

12 minutes ago, GolfSpy SAM said:

I have been trying to find a used DJI - to do the same - especially as I absolutely love that viewpoint.  I'm also an amateur photog, so having something small and light in my bag that I can send up for shots like that would be awesome. 

If you do end up getting one, I recommend opting for the Fly More combo or plan to buy a few extra batteries on the side. They take a while to charge and only last ~35 minutes. 

I did a hole-by-hole flyover for my course last year. I may upload that to YouTube and drop a link in here... in case you need any more temptation to buy one 😉

11 minutes ago, TSauer said:

If you do end up getting one, I recommend opting for the Fly More combo or plan to buy a few extra batteries on the side. They take a while to charge and only last ~35 minutes. 

I did a hole-by-hole flyover for my course last year. I may upload that to YouTube and drop a link in here... in case you need any more temptation to buy one 😉

Yeah, I keep waiting for the Fly-More to be available at Costco or something - they're always so tempting, but I've so far resisted the urge.  But man...every time I'm at a course I think about having one. 🙂

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

5 hours ago, GolfSpy SAM said:

I would genuinely (!) consider getting that thing in replacement of my 2.1 - and literally if only because of the (seeming) ball-collector in the middle. My ONLY complaint with the DF is that it's impossible to scoop the ball up, and I know that's ridiculous, but that thing looks slimmer in all the right ways.  Dag...I better go make some extra money 😉 

It is not impossible to scoop the ball. Like everything in golf it takes a little practice.

Speaking of practice, I’ve been gaming this for a little over 3 months. After some adjustments because of the visual differences between this and a blade, I feel very comfortable with this putter now. I do not feel like I am struggling to line it up and can focus on speed versus the line of the putt. 

Interestingly, I often felt with Scotty Cameron’s, Odyssey and Evnroll putters that I was fighting them, and the trick was to find the putter that best fit my stroke that day. While I had some initial issues with alignment, I’ve never felt like I was fighting the stroke. 

:callaway-small: Paradym 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430 MAX 3W  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:taylormade-small: SIM2 Rescue 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small: GAPR Mid 4 on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:taylormade-small: P790 Black 5-G on :kbs: TGI 80S 

:mizuno-small: ES21 54° & 58° on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

22 hours ago, TSauer said:

Strongly considering selling my Scotty Phantom or working it in with a trade deal to get a Mezz. I’m perfectly fine with my Link, but I’d love to try one of those as well. 

Do it!

WITB

On 8/31/2023 at 10:49 AM, jdparker said:

FWIW - this 100% worked on Friday when I was on-course.  I know this is silly, but this was one of my ONLY gripes about the DF, lol, and you (snaps fingers) fixed it, just like that. 

So...thanks 😉 

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

9 minutes ago, GolfSpy SAM said:

FWIW - this 100% worked on Friday when I was on-course.  I know this is silly, but this was one of my ONLY gripes about the DF, lol, and you (snaps fingers) fixed it, just like that. 

So...thanks 😉 

Glad that it worked out!

Had my first time over the weekend where the MEZZ.1 felt as stable for me as I’d been hoping for. Think I’d posted before where I was thinking about having to try different grips etc to find that special thing that works for the individual.

With my previous putter I’d gotten in the habit of pointing my index fingers down the shaft. With the MEZZ.1 I tucked them back in and felt so much better. Now just to have to train myself for that to be the new normal.

Have had multiple people comment on how nice of a roll it puts on the ball, and it is visibly better than my previous putter.

Driver: Titleist TSR2 9º with TPT Nitro Driver 17 Hi

Fairway #1: Titleist TSR2 15º with TPT Power Fairway 17 Hi

Fairway #2: Titleist TSR2 21º with TPT Power Fairway 17 Hi

Utility: Titleist T200 Utility Build 3i (20º) with TPT Power Hybrid 16 Hi

Irons: Mizuno Pro 241 (4-PW) with UST Mamiya DART V 120 F4

Irons (special occasions): Miura MC-502 (4-PW) with True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 Onyx

Wedges: Vokey SM10 Jet Black (50.08 F, 56.08 M, 60.04 T) with UST Mamiya DART V 120 F4

Putter: L.A.B MEZZ.1 MAX Counterbalance with L.A.B. x TPT Long

Ball: Titleist Pro V1 X or Bridgestone Tour B X

First Impressions:

IMG_E7549.JPG.5193c36627bbfa7f4ddcba8b0700ebd4.JPG

LAB putters stands for Lie Angle Balancing. The idea of the technology LAB presents a ZERO torque concept when performing the putting stroke. In talking with CEO (Sam) the putter should actually work better when the tension on the grip is lighter. To aid in the alignment of the face and get the putter into a proper loft, the grip is also unusual in that it presents the golfer with a present amount of lean to get the putter loft around 1- 2 degrees. There are three major models. The directed force model, the MEZZ and MEZZ max model and the LINK model. The custom options available are very substantial to include not only colors, but alignment lines, shaft choices and grips will different impacts when considering loft.

Aesthetics (8 out of 10)

IMG_E7675.JPG.75155c4b675aaf91c9196cacaae86a0a.JPG

●      When talking Aesthetics, the LAB models are certainly in a category all their own.  The MEZZ max is a very symmetrical model that is the LAB version of a fang putter or think model 7 from Odyssey. At first glance the MEZZ max looks like it could drive nails with the height of the putter. However, when looking down at the putter it looks easier to align and not to thick.

●      The construction is a high test aluminum surrounding a block of milled steel.

●      I opted for the low torque ACCRA shaft in black with a gray stone putter head and specific alignment lines in front of the shaft.

●      Another difference of the LAB putter is where the putter shaft inserts into the head is much further from the face than the standard putter. In my opinion, this gives the user a clearer picture of the face angle/ alignment to the putter.

●      Finally, the grip, it is a oval shaped 1.5 degree deloft. The best thing is when aligning the bicolor grip it automatically placed the putter in the proper position without some sort of weird placement.

●      The sound and performance are softer and dead solid.

●      Finally after the test period the other putters now look funny.

The Numbers (10 out of 10)

IMG_7674.JPG.03cd891bec65b38e1c18d43049120d60.JPG

Once a golfer can get past the aesthetic of the putter, the weight and balance are noticeably different than the standard putter. The trend of heavier putters is blown out of the water here. Comparatively, the MEZZ Max is lighter but not feathery light. Immediately I noticed a good balance to the putter. Of course, it is a ZERO TORQUE balance which means in short that when you putt the putter wants to stay in the direction of the putt. This also translates into the use of a lighter grip, When we grip lighter, we don’t fight the putter in this case. In other putters a death grip is a welcomed addition to keep things on line.  I used the CAPTO unit to get real data for the MEZZ MAX when comparing to my original gamer. It was working well so I expected a real fight to stay in the bag. I was not disappointed. It was a close competition but the MEZZ MAX won the numbers game.

I did a test using the capto unit that measure several parameters of the putt.:including consistency, accuracy, how you shake in the putt, the power loss or smash factor of the putt. Etc.

In each category measured against my gamer which is/was the makefield putter with a BGT shaft. The MEZZ Max won the overall contest by less than 1 percentage point. That may not sound like a lot however when the numbers were in the low to mid 90% range it is hard to get better. One category were the putter was a clear winner was the rotation or delivering the club back to square. The MEZZ MAX did exactly what it was supposed to do.

This was backed up by some on course testing at the home course the MEXX maz was a true weapon for a lower score.

On-Course (19 out of 20)

IMG_7857.JPG.448c74eeebd0598de16313aec10fbd1f.JPG

The reason for being late on the results is I had a Myrtle beach trip planned at the end of the evaluation. I went to 6 different courses. Shaftesbury, Pine lakes, Grande Dunes, Glen Dornoch, Tidewater and Arrowhead. All of the course had different greens complexes and different way to maintain them as I found out later. For the metric types I had 12 one putts, (12) 3 putts and the rest 2 putts with one 4 putt were my mind was already into some beachy type adult beverage.  I had to use the Makefield for 6 holes tops in the rounds. I found the MEZZ MAX to be a great performer in fast and strangely enough slower greens.  The greens that were still healing from aeration gave me issues where the Makefield did the heavy lifting. My directional control, distance to the second putt were terrific. The putter performance could only have be better if I one putter everything. Hahahahahaha. 

The Good, the bad, the inbetween (19 out of 20)

IMG_7295.JPG.fc789032da1e630c97f836ce0f9f6ffb.JPG

I know this is self serving but I did an initial review on my YouTube channel.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnhcXyF5Xyg . In the video I talk to the initial thoughts and results of testing indoors . If you would like to know more I had a discussion  with Sam of LAB golf  that can be found here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfueKKcSii0&t=1s .

Ok the good the bad and in-betweens: The putter looks funky, we all know that. However, if I have found out anything looks are in the eyes of the beholder particularly when that thing is performing well. I have seen golfers completely absolutely not want to deal with a golf club based on looks alone buttttt, after a few schorpes (is that even a word) the golfer saw a dramatic improvement and all of a sudden it’s a thing of beauty.  The MEZZ MAX falls into this category. Once I really looked at the symmetry it truly is not that far from some of the other crazy designs in the industry.  One attribute I think is completely over looked is the alignment of the putter. I cant understand why more is not made of this. Because the shaft sets further back in the head it gives a clear alignment of the face, lines and ball. This is not to be over looked. It helps!

The bad. The price. The standard putter is in line with the other top line brand in the market. It is when the custom shaft or paint or anything else is added when the putter become very pricy.  From a consumer point of view the performance needs to be justified and in light of the last few PGA tournaments it has with Adam Scott and Luke Glover playing lights out with the putter.

The inbetween, the grip that comes on the club is only available at LAB golf the best I can figure. Although LAB is very friendly handling one and twos while dealing with order could prove to be problematic.

Play it or Trade it? (20 out of 20)

IMG_7882.JPG.7ed30b65dc3022848e632a8c7aabd946.JPG

PLAY IT!!!!!! Putting has been my weak spot in golf. It comes from lack of practice, patience, and confidence. When the testing starting I was already in the improvement mode with the gamer. However the entry of the MEZZ max help speed up the improvement process. It fits the stroke and taking tension off the grip really does help for me.

Conclusion

The LAB MEZZ MAX was a great choice made by SAM. Being a fitter, the process was a bit different talking with Sam and I learned a ton. This is the perfect example of you can’t judge a book by its cover. The feel is solid, the feed back is true. The performance is even better than expected. The putter is a complete package if you are looking for a low torque / 0 torque concept of a putter. Thanks to MGS for selecting me for the chance to use the MEZZ MAX.

As a final note I have paper work to become a dealer.

Final Score (96 out of 100)

IMG_7673 - Copy.JPG

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

I am loving my DF2.1 and feel like I have gotten use to the set-up.  It took me a few rounds on the course to really get the feel for the putter.  I had to get used to the press grip and now that I have figured out the right hand pressure and motion, this thing is going to be a game changer.  

@McGolf Although I did watch your review on YouTube, thank you for putting your great review here on MGS.  😎

Hoping that all goes well with Sam and LAB and you become an authorized dealer.  👍

Driver & Fairway: :titleist-small: Titleist TSR3 10 degree - :Fuji: Ventus TR Blue & :titleist-small: TSR3 15 - :projectx: Hzrdus Black Gen 4 

Hybrid: :titleist-small: TSR2 21 degree - :projectx: Hzrdus Black Gen 4

Irons: :titleist-small: Titleist T200 3G (4) & T150 - (5-G) - :projectx: Project X LZ 

Wedges: :vokey-small: Vokey SM8 54, and 58

Putter: :cameron-small: Cameron Phantom X 7.5

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 & :maxfli: Maxfli Tour

Link to Motocaddy M7 w/Remote Trolley & Bag Review

On 5/1/2023 at 10:12 PM, RoverRick said:

it takes up a lot of space in the bag

This was one of my thoughts; would I really want to travel with this in my bag, unless I had a hard side case.

• Driver - Ping G400 9°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 65 gr. 
  • FW - TM M3 3-wood 15°, Project-X HZRDUS Red 6.0 75 gr. mid-spin
  • Hybrid - TM M4 19°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 85 gr. HY 
  • Irons - TM P790, 3-PW, Oban CT-115, PXG 311 P Gen 6
  • Wedges - Mizuno T20 Ion blue 52/9 & 56/14, N.S. Pro Modus3 S-flex
  • Putter - Evnroll ER2 Garsen Max grip
  • Getting a grip - oversize Winn DryTacs and Bionic gloves
  • Ball - ProV1, AVX, Maxfli Tour, PXG
  • Bag(s)/cart - Vessel Player III Rovic RV1S and Alphard V2

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :kbs: TD Cat 4 70g (back up :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" )

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with :kbs: PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with:kbs: Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter::L.A.B.:Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  :Snell: Prime 4.0

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

Glove: :redrooster:

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

This was one of my thoughts; would I really want to travel with this in my bag, unless I had a hard side case.
Yea it sure does this is the worse position of it but can definitely hide many clubs.aefef4cd6d96c1e441d26bddba8611b2.jpg

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

IMG_4657.jpeg.b1355444812cf2a28f33e2e1f8ddf3e5.jpegIMG_4559.jpeg.56ce8fecf9104ccf926910dba5d88f31.jpegThis is one of the things that I looked at when I was going to replace my old bag with the broken zippers.  I found a bag that had enough room for the putter and matched the colors. 

:callaway-small: Paradym 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430 MAX 3W  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:taylormade-small: SIM2 Rescue 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small: GAPR Mid 4 on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:taylormade-small: P790 Black 5-G on :kbs: TGI 80S 

:mizuno-small: ES21 54° & 58° on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

It's been a minute since my last update but well I haven't been able to really get out since I finished the test. I got out for 18 holes on Monday and forced myself to spend 20+ minutes on the practice green getting used to the speed. Overall on the round, I was happy with my putting especially since it had been close to 2 months since I had played ended up with 33 putts which I'm satisfied with. I knocked 2 get approaches to 3' but made them both and only had two 3 putts on the day which was a huge step in the right direction. I lagged pretty well and was pretty confident inside of 8 ft only missing 1 or 2 putts inside that distance. 

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

1 hour ago, pozzit said:

It's been a minute since my last update but well I haven't been able to really get out since I finished the test. I got out for 18 holes on Monday and forced myself to spend 20+ minutes on the practice green getting used to the speed. Overall on the round, I was happy with my putting especially since it had been close to 2 months since I had played ended up with 33 putts which I'm satisfied with. I knocked 2 get approaches to 3' but made them both and only had two 3 putts on the day which was a huge step in the right direction. I lagged pretty well and was pretty confident inside of 8 ft only missing 1 or 2 putts inside that distance. 

Love it! Sorry to hear you haven't been able to get out in months (!) - that can be hugely disruptive, so great to see you were still able to lag it pretty well. 

Also, for those interested, the LAB Member Review recap is up on the main site: check it out!

https://mygolfspy.com/news-opinion/lab-putter-review/

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

7 minutes ago, GolfSpy SAM said:

Also, for those interested, the LAB Member Review recap is up on the main site: check it out!

https://mygolfspy.com/news-opinion/lab-putter-review/

giphy.gif

On 8/31/2023 at 12:46 PM, TSauer said:

Strongly considering selling my Scotty Phantom or working it in with a trade deal to get a Mezz. I’m perfectly fine with my Link, but I’d love to try one of those as well. 

I sold my Phantom X 11.5 after the testing last year and have zero regrets.  Once I learned how to let the putter do the work it’s completely changed my game.  

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

2 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Once I learned how to let the putter do the work it’s completely changed my game.  

This. Right. Here.

The L.A.B. video of the Thumbs Off Drill keeps popping up, so I decided to try that with the Link and it's pretty incredible how well letting the putter do the work... works. I could only imagine how it would be with the Mezz or DF. 

1 hour ago, TSauer said:

This. Right. Here.

The L.A.B. video of the Thumbs Off Drill keeps popping up, so I decided to try that with the Link and it's pretty incredible how well letting the putter do the work... works. I could only imagine how it would be with the Mezz or DF. 

It does all the work.  There are so many people who would benefit from this tech but wont because they’re more concerned about vanity.  Sad.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Happened to be around a PGA superstore today so I got a chance to play around with a DF and a Mez.  No knock on them but I'm very happy with the Link.  I did like the feel of the Mez though.  The one thing I will say that clearly played a huge difference... the shaft.  Stock steel was fine, but the jump in feedback between the stock steel and Accra is noticeable.  I may not be able to stop myself when and if the DF3 makes its way out... and now I know for sure that I'll pay for the shaft upgrade.

Other than that, in recent rounds follow up my birdie streak ended last month.  I'm averaging around 31-32 putts per round with a low low of 27 and a ceiling of 36.  One could do a lot worse than having a ceiling of two putts per hole.  Oh, and I've found my idiot savant distance with the Link.  I'm strangely good at holing putts from 17.5' (in my case 9ish steps.)  I don't know what the deal is but I hole more from that distance than I do at 10'.  

Edited by Syks7

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0311 Gen 5 -- Tensei CK Orange 60

Woods

PXG_Logo Small.jpg 0341 3W -- Tensei AV Raw Blue

Hybrids

image.png.374545efa45a29aed00287677e783604.png  0317X 2&4 -- Tensei AV Raw Blue 

Irons 

:srixon-small: ZX7 4/AW -- C-Taper Lite 110

Wedges

:mizuno-small:  T7 55º @55/7  -- TT DG Spinner

Putter

Test.png DF2.1 or Link.1 -- Accra

Ball

:srixon-small:  Zstar Diamond