Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Takomo Irons - 2023 Forum Review

Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

Follow our Testers main review posts in the links below!

@ZackS - TESTING POST - 101T Series
@KC Golf - TESTING POST - 101T Series

@TylorJudd - TESTING POST - 301 CB Series

@Jim Shaw - TESTING POST - 301 MB Series

@DukeStKing - TESTING POST - 101T Series

7 minutes ago, TylorJudd said:

I'll be changing the shafts as well. More than likely a high end graphite, possibly the axioms. I'm on the steeper side of the swing, and ended up doing some serious damage to my chest in early September and now can't play, and I think the KBS Tour 120s may play some role in this. Too much impact on my wrist also. Might throw KBS 95 in the mix to see. Overall I believe the set up is just too heavy after all the rounds I threw into them

Hope you get better soon

WITB:

Driver: Titleist TSR3 :titleist-small: with TPT Nitro 15Hi 

5 wood: Calloway Paradym Triple Diamond :callaway-small: with TPT Power 15Lo

Driving Iron: Tour Edge Exotics EXS Ti-Utility :tour-edge:

Hybrid: PXG 0317X Gen2 hybrid :PXG: with TPT Power 15Lo

Irons: Takomo 101T :Takomo: with Nippon Modus 120 shafts :Nippon:

Wedges: Celveland RTX4 50 Degree, Calloway Jaws Raw 58 degree Z grind and 54 degree S grind

Putter: Edel EAS 4.0 :edel-golf-1:

Ball: Srixon Z Star Diamond / Z Star XV :srixon-small:

Official 2024 TPT Shaft Test

Too bad @TylorJudd you didn’t get the KBS Lites- I’ve really enjoyed them. Speaking of which, I’ve gone away from playing a combo Takoma/Apex Pro’s and I’m just playing the Takomos. I’m enjoying the added forgiveness of the Takomos and the gapping is better. Plus the turf interaction is much better with the soggy autumn conditions. 
Hope you feel better Tylor. 

Edited by DukeStKing

Driver: Callaway Paradym; Hzrdus Silver 50 Gram

3 Wood: Ping 410; "Otto Phlex" Project X Evenflow Riptide 

7 Wood: Callaway Epic Max 

3, 5-7 Irons: Callaway Apex 19

8-AW Irons: Callaway Apex Pro 19

Wedges: Callaway MD4 54, Callaway MD4 58 X Grind 

Putter: Evnroll ER2v; Midlock and Standard 34 inch with Gravity Gip

12 hours ago, ZackS said:

Been awhile since I provided an update. Still enjoying the irons and they are still in the bag. I did re-shaft them with some Modus 120’s which increased the swing weight as wanted and they are a little better fit for me. Here is a few videos from my range session today into a 20 to 25 mph wind. 

8 iron 

5 iron

wow, working it both ways, and a great move as well, way to go @ZackS thanks for sharing these

committed to performance excellence

4 hours ago, DukeStKing said:

Too bad @TylorJudd you didn’t get the KBS Lites- I’ve really enjoyed them. Speaking of which, I’ve gone away from playing a combo Takoma/Apex Pro’s and I’m just playing the Takomos. I’m enjoying the added forgiveness of the Takomos and the gapping of better. Plus the turf interaction is much better with the soggy autumn conditions. 
Hope you feel better Tylor. 

Were getting there. I'm fortunate that a simulator lounge has opened here in town next month and should give me stress free golf to get back into it. It's coming, almost 6 weeks now which sucks because we have had the most unreal weather for fall here in the okanagan 

I like golf. You should like golf. If life is tough, play more golf!

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-MJ 6x

Titleist TSr3 18 Degree, Graphite Design Tour Ad-DI 7x

Takomo 301CB's, KBS Tours 120S

Vokey SM8 48 10F, 52 08F, 56 08M, 60 08M

Odyssey O-Works Jailbird Mini, Versa Scheme, 17" Fatso 3.0 Grip, 40"

Jazz Tacoma Cart Bag

Titleist Pro V1x

I've had my Takomo 301MB irons for a while now, so it's time for an update.

I ordered heads only, and outfitted them with Nippon NS Pro 950GH shafts and Golf Pride Tour Velvet grips. The clubs start at D2-2.5 and go up to around D5 on the PW (too long ago, I forget exactly). I measured the swingweight using a SwingU digital scale that I accuracy-tested against clubs with known measurements from my local golf Galaxy. The one adjustment I did to compensate for my advanced age was to have the lofts strengthened to match the 101 iron specs.  

I am more than satisfied with these clubs. They provide a good feel for how pure the strikes are. They aren't the most forgiving clubs, but mishits will still cover a good bit of ground (but not enough so that there's no incentive to swing better). I can also work them either way, all the way down to the wedge. 

I am seeing a marked difference in my game. I was having trouble breaking 80, to the point that I was wondering if it would ever happen again. These irons, as part of a wholesale rebuild of my set, have allowed me to start scoring in the mid to high 70's again on a regular basis. Yay!

These irons are NOT for a player looking for max forgiveness. However, if you want to buy a set of low-cost, high quality better player irons,you should add 301MB's to your list of choices.

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Unvcross said:

I would really like to try the101’s, but not being able to hit before you purchase is the problem for me. 

https://takomogolf.com/policies/refund-policy

In My Sun Mountain C-130 'merica Cart Bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth+ Rocket 3W, 13.5* turned down to 12.75*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 75g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 3w, 15*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 5w, 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939x 4H (21*), Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black, 90g
Irons: :Takomo: 101's, 5-PW, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Wedges: :Sub70: 286 @ 50*, JBFG @ 54* & 60*, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Putter: :Sub70: 002 Mid-Mallet @ 35", Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, Desert Camo
Ball: :maxfli: Tour & Testing :OnCore: Vero X1
Technology: :ShotScope: H4 w/ Tags, Pro L2 Rangefinder

On 10/15/2023 at 2:23 PM, tortoise1956 said:

I've had my Takomo 301MB irons for a while now, so it's time for an update.

I ordered heads only, and outfitted them with Nippon NS Pro 950GH shafts and Golf Pride Tour Velvet grips. The clubs start at D2-2.5 and go up to around D5 on the PW (too long ago, I forget exactly). I measured the swingweight using a SwingU digital scale that I accuracy-tested against clubs with known measurements from my local golf Galaxy. The one adjustment I did to compensate for my advanced age was to have the lofts strengthened to match the 101 iron specs.  

I am more than satisfied with these clubs. They provide a good feel for how pure the strikes are. They aren't the most forgiving clubs, but mishits will still cover a good bit of ground (but not enough so that there's no incentive to swing better). I can also work them either way, all the way down to the wedge. 

I am seeing a marked difference in my game. I was having trouble breaking 80, to the point that I was wondering if it would ever happen again. These irons, as part of a wholesale rebuild of my set, have allowed me to start scoring in the mid to high 70's again on a regular basis. Yay!

These irons are NOT for a player looking for max forgiveness. However, if you want to buy a set of low-cost, high quality better player irons,you should add 301MB's to your list of choices.

great post, I started gaming my MB 301 Takomo's full time september 10th. I have the KBS light stiff shaft in mine. As you say the heads are performing as advertised, I am just working on strike confidence with the shaft. It is coming along but the odd "closed face" shot emerges, usually when I don't complete my backswing. 

If you do update your heads I would recommend keeping your current shafts if they are performing well for you. 

12 hours ago, Unvcross said:

I would really like to try the101’s, but not being able to hit before you purchase is the problem for me. 

I agree with Unvcross.  All the reviews seem positive, but I will no longer purchase clubs without testing them first

• Bag             1590477705_SunMountain.png.3391233ea391e8b6fde951d09bc76f6b.png  C130, 14 way Cart Bag
  • Driver         Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png      TSR1
  • Fairway      default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               GBB Epic 5
  • Hybrid        default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               Epic Flash 4H
  • Iron             lazarus.png.24092c99689747a2f7bd9cb786badde7.png              2 iron
  • Irons          635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      Launcher HB, 4 through PW
  • Wedges     635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      CBX2, 54 & 60 degree
  • Putter        Seemore3.jpg.1cb64ec83d2511c1ee1a386340a04d4e.jpg    Seemore Si1 Putter
  • Ball            Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png       Titleist pro v1x
  • Other        2000014788_ArccosSig.jpg.af5434230b907b708eb89aebd4125f95.jpg

7 hours ago, Paul Hedrick said:

I agree with Unvcross.  All the reviews seem positive, but I will no longer purchase clubs without testing them first

I continue to game the 101Ts and I have really liked the KBS Tour Lite which are a stock iron shaft.  As noted in this thread, the 7 iron testing may be a good option for you.

:titelist-small:  TSR 3   9.0  GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:titelist-small: U-510 19 Utility Iron HZDUS Smoke Black 6.0 Stiff

:Takomo:  5-PW 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Scotty Special Select - Squareback 2 - 35”  / Super Stroke Slim 3.0

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Loyal MCC Plus 4 Sensor User

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone, thought I’d throw a winter update in. I’ve been able to swing again and threw some lessons in with a local CPGA pro here. We found some interesting things happening with the Takomo 301CB. The KBS Tour 120S are too soft first and foremost. I have to remove 5-10mph of swing speed to bring them back inline. For reference, my 7 iron swing speed is 92-95mph. Shame as I went from Rifle 6.0 and got rid of them. Second, as some other testers have noted and has now happened to me. The PW is too hot off the centre, a general difference of 15 yards hot. So I have pulled the PW out in favour of my Vokey 48, as only 1-2mm difference in the centre of the face produced those results. All in all, the others are great. The shafts are unfortunately creating some unwanted circumstances as we go up the bag, and hopefully Takomo will expand their shaft offerings. 

PS there is a set of brand new 101Ts here where I live for $700 CAD, still in wrapping if anyone is looking

Jazz Tacoma Cart Bag

Titleist Pro V1x

On 11/8/2023 at 6:07 AM, Jim Shaw said:

great post, I started gaming my MB 301 Takomo's full time september 10th. I have the KBS light stiff shaft in mine. As you say the heads are performing as advertised, I am just working on strike confidence with the shaft. It is coming along but the odd "closed face" shot emerges, usually when I don't complete my backswing. 

If you do update your heads I would recommend keeping your current shafts if they are performing well for you. 

Having the same issues with my KBS shafts also Jim

Jazz Tacoma Cart Bag

Titleist Pro V1x

14 minutes ago, TylorJudd said:

Hey everyone, thought I’d throw a winter update in. I’ve been able to swing again and threw some lessons in with a local CPGA pro here. We found some interesting things happening with the Takomo 301CB. The KBS Tour 120S are too soft first and foremost. I have to remove 5-10mph of swing speed to bring them back inline. For reference, my 7 iron swing speed is 92-95mph. Shame as I went from Rifle 6.0 and got rid of them. Second, as some other testers have noted and has now happened to me. The PW is too hot off the centre, a general difference of 15 yards hot. So I have pulled the PW out in favour of my Vokey 48, as only 1-2mm difference in the centre of the face produced those results. All in all, the others are great. The shafts are unfortunately creating some unwanted circumstances as we go up the bag, and hopefully Takomo will expand their shaft offerings. 

PS there is a set of brand new 101Ts here where I live for $700 CAD, still in wrapping if anyone is looking

Hey Tylor, what miss are you seeing with the KBS shafts at your normal swing speed? I was fitted into the same shaft with my Titleist irons and my average 7 iron SS is 94 mph. I’ve been seeing the ball over draw, where as the same swing with my Apex MB that has a project x 6.0 produces a slight draw to straight flight. I haven’t noticed any differences in the height though, both launch fairly high

WITB:

D: :taylormade-small: QI-10 core 9* Ventus Blue TR Velocore 6x

3w: :taylormade-small: Brnr mini driver 13.5 S

3h: :ping-small: G430 19° Tour 2/Stiff

7W: :callaway-small: 21° Rogue ST Max LinQ 7X

5i-6i:  :srixon-small: ZX5 MKII Project X 6.0

7i-PW: :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII Project X 6.0

50°, 54° & 58°:   :ping-small: Glide Forged Pro

P:   :odyssey-small: White Hot Versa DW

Ball:  :bridgestone-small: Tour BX mindset

Bag:  Ghost MGS Anyday 14 way

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

” The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep. - Frost

"That you are here—that life exists and identity,

That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." - Whitman

18 minutes ago, TylorJudd said:

Having the same issues with my KBS shafts also Jim

Hey @TylorJuddnice to hear from you .. 

I have them figured out now, and they are performing as well if not better than my Miuras with the IOS shafts. 

but I’m not going to lie, I wasn’t expecting the transition to be so hard. 

1 hour ago, TylorJudd said:

Hey @TylorJudd, my swing speed is 10mph slower on my 7 iron so that is probably why my  KBS stiff light shaft is starting to work for me, that and I am a great athlete lol...

22 hours ago, Ben Joest said:

Hey Tylor, what miss are you seeing with the KBS shafts at your normal swing speed? I was fitted into the same shaft with my Titleist irons and my average 7 iron SS is 94 mph. I’ve been seeing the ball over draw, where as the same swing with my Apex MB that has a project x 6.0 produces a slight draw to straight flight. I haven’t noticed any differences in the height though, both launch fairly high

The exact same thing Ben. My Rifle 6.0 produced exactly what you are describing also. I’m theoretically having to remove that “higher gear” I have to try and control an over draw. I’m probably seeing a 5/6 to 8/9 yard overdraw.

I was able to bring my swing speed up to 133 on my driver today and then started going down the bag again, and as soon as I got to my 6 iron, that overdraw really came through again. 

maybe the Tour130x would be better but I’m definitely unsure. I like the smoothness of the KBS but this is unfortunately too much overdraw

Edited by TylorJudd
Spelling

Jazz Tacoma Cart Bag

Titleist Pro V1x

• 2 weeks later...

Is it possible to test these clubs before buying?  Do you have to go to a fitter?  Doesn't PXG have locations to try? 

Thanks!

Jeff Beatty

image.jpeg.d9da9cc2dca3ba0dec86c0ec302c82ae.jpeg Driver TSI2 10 Degree Stiff Tense AV Series 55  

:ping-small: G425 5 Wood 17.5 Degree Stiff Alta CB 65

:ping-small: G425 3 Hybrid 19 Degree Stiff Alta CB 70

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 3-GW N.S. Pro 950 GH NEO Stiff

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 Degree S 12, Glide 4.0 60 Degree W 14

:scotty-small: Studio Select Newport 2 

No, unless they have some random pop up event somewhere. You would have your fitting specs ready prior to purchasing these. I was fit into Titleist 150 and TM 7MB and brought those specs over to their 301CB. Shaft profiles that work well for you would be a cheat code to know prior since you are limited to KBS

They’re also forged so if you need to tweak it’s fine

Jazz Tacoma Cart Bag

Titleist Pro V1x

2 minutes ago, jdbeatty said:

Is it possible to test these clubs before buying?  Do you have to go to a fitter?  Doesn't PXG have locations to try? 

Thanks!

Takomo is Direct To Consumer, so unless you find a used set at a golf shop or a friend that already owns them, there aren’t any fitters that carry the lines they offer. 

PXG does have physical locations where you can try their products and get fit for them by their fitters. PXG’s website has a list of which cities they have locations in.

WITB:

D: :taylormade-small: QI-10 core 9* Ventus Blue TR Velocore 6x

3w: :taylormade-small: Brnr mini driver 13.5 S

3h: :ping-small: G430 19° Tour 2/Stiff

7W: :callaway-small: 21° Rogue ST Max LinQ 7X

5i-6i:  :srixon-small: ZX5 MKII Project X 6.0

7i-PW: :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII Project X 6.0

50°, 54° & 58°:   :ping-small: Glide Forged Pro

P:   :odyssey-small: White Hot Versa DW

Ball:  :bridgestone-small: Tour BX mindset

Bag:  Ghost MGS Anyday 14 way

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

” The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep. - Frost

"That you are here—that life exists and identity,

That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." - Whitman

49 minutes ago, jdbeatty said:

Thanks!

@jdbeatty great question about Takomo's. I don't think I am alone when I say the Takomo heads are as good as anything out there on the market, the only real challenge you would have, in my opinion, is picking the shaft that fits you the best. So my advice it to go to a fitter, get fitted for the shaft that works best for you then order the Takomo's that will best work for you, I would check with @Ben Joest or @TylorJudd and they may be able to recommend the proper head, I think the 301 MB's that I have may be too much of a blade for you, or reach out to Takomo, give them your swing speeds etc. they would be able to help you. In summary they are a great product for the price. 

Awesome job everyone. My big takeaways after reading a lot here:

1. These Irons are to be taken serious and dollar for dollar rock (sorry for US centric measure)

2. A blended set should be looked at serious at it addresses distance and ease of use in long irons.

3. The shaft selection really needs to be considered and impacts the results here massively.

Even with the cost of creating a blended set and reshafting these still may be the best value out there!

Callaway  Driver

Mizuno JPX Irons

Ping Putter w/ modified grip

image.png

27 minutes ago, billpierce said:

1. These Irons are to be taken serious and dollar for dollar rock (sorry for US centric measure)

2. A blended set should be looked at serious at it addresses distance and ease of use in long irons.

3. The shaft selection really needs to be considered and impacts the results here massively.

Even with the cost of creating a blended set and reshafting these still may be the best value out there!

And if you heads only, you can deal with your own shaft and grips and ferrules without paying extra for shafts that might not work for you or have to pull. I went heads only with the 101's as I wanted my DG120 shafts.

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth+ Rocket 3W, 13.5* turned down to 12.75*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 75g

38 minutes ago, billpierce said:

nice summary, like it... I am still gaming my MB 301's with KBS stiff light shafts...

11 minutes ago, Shrek74 said:

And if you heads only, you can deal with your own shaft and grips and ferrules without paying extra for shafts that might not work for you or have to pull. I went heads only with the 101's as I wanted my DG120 shafts.

how much were the heads only?

8 minutes ago, Jim Shaw said:

how much were the heads only?

101's are $320, 101T's are $450, 201's are $400, 301's are $500.

35 minutes ago, Shrek74 said:

I would second this

Jazz Tacoma Cart Bag

Titleist Pro V1x

7 hours ago, billpierce said:

I would agree with these takeaways. 

• 4 weeks later...

Been awhile since I posted an update so thought I would to end the year. Unfortunately schedule and weather lining up haven’t allowed for much golf recently. I still have the 101t’s in the bag. One small possible negative I mentioned in my review was I had seen a few really dig fliers. At the time of review I was using ProV1’s which are a little lower spinning ball. I started testing out some different balls and have since switched to a higher spin ball in the Srixon Z Star Diamond and I haven’t seen a flier since. While I didn’t have issues stopping the ball on the green with the ProV1. I think the higher spin in the diamond gives me the room for some spin loss on a high strike on the blade out of the rough without it getting too low to cause a big flier. I also think this shows the importance of matching your ball and clubs. So if you want to switch to a more forgiving iron don’t be worried they could be to low spinning as you can always switch to a higher spin ball if needed. 

WITB:

Wedges: Celveland RTX4 50 Degree, Calloway Jaws Raw 58 degree Z grind and 54 degree S grind

• 2 weeks later...

I haven’t updated in a while and I was able to get a lot of golf in late in the season in NJ. The conditions were cool and wet and I can’t say how much I enjoyed hitting my 101T’s. The added forgiveness and turf interaction led to some great scoring in tough conditions. The wider soles and turf interaction made hitting off wet turf very easy. My last round (definitively) was a 78 on New Years Eve day. Looking forward to having these in the bag all season once the snow melts. 

• 2 weeks later...

So I was hitting on the simulator today to check my gapping and lie angle. It was not my best ball striking performance but I thought was a good demonstration of forgiveness the 101t's provide. Ignore the high of the line as that had more to do where the line was and I was only concerned if it was straight up and down. 

Here is the 7 iron 

IMG_2492.jpeg.b96244cd644f84d2675876af0be5420d.jpeg

image.png.9c9c86a121c4ab8802ea08cd15617e15.png

and the 6 iron 

IMG_2491.jpeg.c37c92969dfb85e88be312f9a9f49dec.jpeg

image.png.bca1abfc00012c52cebb273072398ae5.png

As you can see the standard deviations are pretty tight despite the different strikes. 

WITB:

Winter update:

I was having some difficulty with maintaining a good line with the long irons, so I went back to my PXG 201 ST irons for a while. Basically, just long enough to verify that it wasn't the irons, it was me...anyway, the 301MB's are back in my bag, and once I worked my swing back in sync, I'm again hitting greens on a regular basis and leaving plenty of chances for birdies.

I can honestly say that these are easily the best overall forged irons I've ever used, based on forgiveness vs. playability. It seems sometimes as if the entire head is a sweet spot. It's definitely larger than the Hogan Apex irons I used in the 1980's, or even the KZG ZO set I keep in the garage and pull out once in a while to remain humble.

I'll say it again - these irons are well worth the investment I made to try them out. I would, however, recommend that you purchase the heads only, and install the shaft and grip of your choice. I don't have anything against KBS, but I think that with some research you can find shafts better suited to both these heads and your game.