Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Recommendations for St Andrews

Going to St Andrews for two weeks. Going to get on the ballot for the Old Course (fingers crossed). Anyone have any recommendations on gyms, healthfood stores, "Don't Miss" places to go? Thanks in advance - 

"It's only rock and roll...but I like it." - Mick Jagger

"It is not the will to win that matters-Everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters." - Paul "Bear" Bryant

"If anything is worth doing, it is worth doing with all your heart." - the Buddha

What's in the bag:

Driver Taylormade Qi10 Standard, 3W Callaway RazrFit Extreme, 5W - Cobra Fly Z XL, Wilson D9 4 hybrid, Heat II Single Length Irons 5-SW, Snake Eyes 60' LW

What's on my feet: Squarz/Under Armour Charged Draw 2

Bag Boy Quad XL Push Cart w/Bag Boy CB15 bag

Where I play:  Baja Country Club - Ensenada, Baja Califorinia, Mexico/Bajamar Oceanfront Golf Resort, Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico

Last June my wife and I visited London, Edinburgh and St. Andrews.  Of all three places, my wife loved St. Andrews the best.  We were there a week before The Open was starting.  All the stands were up and preparations were being made.  It's a small town that's easy to walk around.  At the time, the castle was not open.  However, you could walk around it.  If you are there on a Sunday, the Old Course is closed to play and is open like a city park.  Anyone can just walk right in and stroll the course.   We ended up paying for the guided tour of the Old Course.  It was interesting as it provided a bunch of history.  It basically started at the clubhouse, walked out halfway down the first hole, past the Valley of Sin in front of the 18th green and down to Swilcan Bridge and burn.   I can't tell you how many pictures I got on that famous bridge!  We like the beach just beyond the Old Course.  I believe it's where they filmed the beach running scene in Chariots of Fire.  

We found everyone friendly.  My friend and I walked 36 holes at Gulane one day during our time in Edinburgh.  The next day we walked over 24,000 steps (I swear all up hill) touring Edinburgh Castle, distilleries and other attractions.  On the third day we hit St. Andrews and did the Old Couse tour.   It was about 4 pm at the end of June and my friend asked if we could get out and play.  The Old Course was closed on Sunday and being prepped for The Open.  However, if we hurried, we could get one of the last tee times on the New Course before it was shut down.  I looked at him and my sore feet and for the first time, in a long time, I said I was too sore and couldn't play even if I wanted to!  He looked at me and I could tell he was thanking me for saying no so he didn't have to!  

Have a wonderful time.  You should love it!

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

St. Andrews is a lovely place.  We went there in 2009 for our daughters graduation, and spent several days there. Definitely tour the castle if you can, and visit ST RULE'S TOWER  At the time of our visit, we were allowed to climb the tower;  I thought my wife was going to peg out from exertion!  LOL.  There are several pubs in St. Andrews, but to my mind The Rule was best.  On our last night there, we had dinner there, and after dinner I went to the bar for a drink, and some old guy took a liking to me and I didnt have to buy another drink that night!  The Scotts are a warm, friendly and accepting people.

• Bag             1590477705_SunMountain.png.3391233ea391e8b6fde951d09bc76f6b.png  C130, 14 way Cart Bag
  • Driver         Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png      TSR1
  • Fairway      default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               GBB Epic 5
  • Hybrid        default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               Epic Flash 4H
  • Iron             lazarus.png.24092c99689747a2f7bd9cb786badde7.png              2 iron
  • Irons          635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      Launcher HB, 4 through PW
  • Wedges     635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      CBX2, 54 & 60 degree
  • Putter        Seemore3.jpg.1cb64ec83d2511c1ee1a386340a04d4e.jpg    Seemore Si1 Putter
  • Ball            Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png       Titleist pro v1x
  • Other        2000014788_ArccosSig.jpg.af5434230b907b708eb89aebd4125f95.jpg

Been to St. Andrews 3 times --- if that ballot doesn't work for you, do the camp out thing at the starter's shack. It's a long, cold night but you'll have plenty of stories to tell.  Bring blankets, pillows and a warm coat - it gets mighty cold overnight. 

Hope these two blog pieces are helpful to you...

MyGolfSpy Experiences: A Trip To St. Andrews | MyGolfSpy

MyGolfSpy Experiences: A Return to St Andrews | MyGolfSpy

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Thank you folks for answering. I'm looking forward to this trip and am having trouble sleeping due to anticipation. 

"It's only rock and roll...but I like it." - Mick Jagger

"It is not the will to win that matters-Everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters." - Paul "Bear" Bryant

"If anything is worth doing, it is worth doing with all your heart." - the Buddha

What's in the bag:

Driver Taylormade Qi10 Standard, 3W Callaway RazrFit Extreme, 5W - Cobra Fly Z XL, Wilson D9 4 hybrid, Heat II Single Length Irons 5-SW, Snake Eyes 60' LW

What's on my feet: Squarz/Under Armour Charged Draw 2

Bag Boy Quad XL Push Cart w/Bag Boy CB15 bag

Where I play:  Baja Country Club - Ensenada, Baja Califorinia, Mexico/Bajamar Oceanfront Golf Resort, Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico