Aimpoint

So, I've been reading a little bit about aimpoint putting and I am very confused.   Does anyone here use aimpoint?  How has it worked for you?   How long did it take to determine the "feel" of the slope to assign it the correct number etc.  Willing to give it a shot, as my putting has not been great lately, but I don't want to start completely from scratch and have this take like a year to develop a trust for my "read". 

Any input or thoughts??

Thanks

www.mgatour.com

Chapter leader of the Twin Cities MGA

3 hours ago, MNMGA2023 said:

So, I've been reading a little bit about aimpoint putting and I am very confused.   Does anyone here use aimpoint?  How has it worked for you?   How long did it take to determine the "feel" of the slope to assign it the correct number etc.  Willing to give it a shot, as my putting has not been great lately, but I don't want to start completely from scratch and have this take like a year to develop a trust for my "read". 

I don't do aimpoint specifically but understand and use the concepts and believe that it works.  The sheer number of top level professional golfers that use the system should tell you that it works.   What is your confusion?     Learning the feel of the green is something that takes practice to learn and how long it takes will be specific to each individual.   The general method is to get a digital level and find various slopes to test your ability.     The question I would have for you is why isn't your putting great?  If line or speed are your weak areas it will be difficult to learn green reading.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

6 hours ago, MNMGA2023 said:

Any input or thoughts??

Thanks

I did a 1 hour session with an Aimpoint Instructor and was able to get the hang of it during the session. The focus of the session I did was processes to help you feel the slope accurately. You have to reinforce and rehearse those processes to stay sharp. One example for me is I feel I have to "drop a hip" when the slope is greater than 2 percent.

But my putting is measurably better since. I have a pretty accurate stroke that starts the ball on line, but wanted something better than "I think the putt is going to go like that" based mainly on gut feel for my reads. Aimpoint gave me that.

Cobra F9 9.5° (Hzrdus Yellow X)

Cobra Speedzone 15° (Tensei Blue X)

Srixon H85 19° (Hzrdus Black 85 6.0)

Mizuno MP20 MMC 4-PW (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Mizuno T20 51°, 55°, 59° (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 34"

Srixon ZStar

I’m a believer - 

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

I've been using Aimpoint since about 2017.  I took a group clinic, at least 2 hours worth, maybe 3.  You can learn the concepts and "process" with that initial clinic, actually learning to distinguish specific angles takes some practice with a digital level.  I'm not talking months and months, I feel like I was at least competent with a couple of weeks.  Once you learn the concepts, you can become kind of "self-calibrating".  I'll go to the practice green on a new course, get a few reads, and make a few putts.  If the balls break more than I anticipate, I'll know that know that my feel needs to be adjusted slightly.  The actual break is a function of the green slope, the speed of the greens, and the pace of the putt you've hit, they all need to match up.  I'm a believer, especially on courses where the architect designs the "background" to fool your eyes when reading a green.  

I do recommend getting in-person instruction from a qualified Aimpoint instructor.  ITs kind of expensive, but a whole lot less than buying a new putter.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

On 8/4/2023 at 10:54 PM, DaveP043 said:

I do recommend getting in-person instruction from a qualified Aimpoint instructor.  ITs kind of expensive, but a whole lot less than buying a new putter.

Would definitely second this. Provides the smoothest way to get started with Aimpoint.

Cobra F9 9.5° (Hzrdus Yellow X)

Cobra Speedzone 15° (Tensei Blue X)

Srixon H85 19° (Hzrdus Black 85 6.0)

Mizuno MP20 MMC 4-PW (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Mizuno T20 51°, 55°, 59° (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 34"

Srixon ZStar

• 3 weeks later...

I have always struggled with putting - so much so that at one point I purchased 3 putters in a single year and I live in Ohio, it snows about 6 months of the year.... 

I found an aimpoint video, I believe it was Adam Scott's video and took what I could from there. Over the years, I learned more and more about it and it has helped my putting tremendously. I personally think green reading is the most important part of putting, right above pace. Aimpoint, while takes a little bit on the green, is a tool that I would suggest everyone at least try for a season.

KB

Titleist GT 3 - Aretera Grey One 75 | 5

Callaway AI Mini Driver - 11.5 - Aretera Grey One 75 | 5

Titleist T100's - Axiom 125x

Taylormade Hi-Toe 50,54

Titleist SM10 58 wedge

Sik Jo Armlock