Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Phil's Withdrawal

Flv02

Hey golfers,

As many of you know, I am a huge Phil Mickelson fan. I was wondering what you all thought after is withdrawal of the tournament after a +7 first round. He didn't lie. He said it wasn't physical and he was just mentally fatigued. Do you think that he made the right decision? That since he mentally was not in the game, the best thing he could do was pack it up a day early and get ready for the US Open? Or were is obligations to the tournament and Mr. Nicklaus more important? Everybody knows this is non-Phil like, and it has come to a shock to everyone. Give me your opinions!

Inside My Blue Callaway Warbird X Golf Stand Bag:

Driver:Nike SQ 10.5* with Graphite Design Y6+

3W:Cobra S2 14*

4W: Nike SQ Dymo 17*

3H and 4H: Taylormade Rescue 19* and 22*

5H: Cleveland Mashie 23*

6H: Adams a3os Hollow-Back

7Iron-Sand Wedge:Callaway X-20 Series with Callaway Steel

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Putter: Odyssey Versa #9

Golfball: Callaway Hex Black Tour

My reaction to this was "Boo hoo". He plays golf for a living, this is jack's tournament and he had obligations to fullfill. I can understand withdrawing if he had an injury, but just because he is "mentally fatigued" is a poor excuse in my opinion.

Driver--Taylormade RBZ Tour 9* Aldila RIP Phenom 65s

Fairway Metal--Taylormade R11s 14* Aldila RIP Phenom 70s

Hybrid--Taylormade RBZ Tour 18.5* RE-AX 85 gram S

Irons--Nike Vr Pro-Combo 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300

Wedges--Nike SV Tour Forged 50*, 56*, 60* True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter--Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

Ball--Taylormade Lethal

Grips--Lamkin R.E.L 3Gen (Woods-green, Irons-red, Wedges-white)

Two thoughts:

1) As MP Applegate said: Boo hoo. "I play golf for a living and it really wears me out." Sorry, not getting any sympathy from me.

2) I appreciate the honesty. He could have faked an injury and spared himself the criticism, but he told the truth. There's something to be said for that.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

My fault. Had him on my roster today. Sorry Phil :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Billy Hurley III is still in there after going +12.

Looks like someone needs Pro Mental Coach or maybe a hug :wub:

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Right Phil is a professional golfer, and as such, he only gets paid when he plays well enough to make the cut. If he does not he does not get paid. Unless Jack was paying him an appearance fee than he owes him nothing. He did show up and play the pro am. It makes no difference in the grand scheme of things. So if he wants to WD he can WD when ever he wants. He wants to win the US Open. Nobody cares who won the Memorial come next Monday but the guy who got the check and the ones who could have gotten the check had they not screwed up on the closing holes.

Everybody will remember who wins the US Open next week. If he wants to start preparing for that it is his choice.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Smart move IMHO. Rally back from +7? Doable, but if he's fatigued, it probably won't happen.

Preparing (or resting in this case) for the US Open seems like a bigger priority to me.

wd hit the point. Even though he owes it to the fans to show up, he is only fun to watch if he's playing well.

In the end, it's not a bad thing... there is enough talent out there to watch!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Typical country club pro.....How would you explain this to your son?.....When you're mentally fatigued, quit?....Then you have Tiger, who when he bombs, falls back on a physical malady......So now you have two of the greatest golfers of their era, arguably two of the greatest of all time & what do they teach you/children about handling adversity or a bad day?....So one is more honest than the other...Quitting is quitting....

I sure wish I had a job where I could just quit & come back another day when I felt better..."Mentally fatigued"...I'm gonna try that one with one of my employees....It'll set a good example....

Then again, I'm reminded of Charles Barkley's comment about being a role model...These guys are nothing more than entertainers & would you look to Brad Pitt or Mick Jagger to set an example for your child?...Or Charles Barkley?...Or Phil Mickelson or Tiger?...yea right!....Nuff said.....

Fairways & Greens 4ever....

Yes, to everything. Double yes to the bolded part.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

"Mental fatigue" is a publicist's excuse. If he really wanted to be honest, he should have said "this course kicked my ass today. I'm going home to take a nap. See you at the US Open". I like Phil, but I really took this as a little kids "you didn't play fair, so I'm taking my toys and going home" kind of deal.

Of course he only does this when I have him on my fantasy golf team..boo hoo

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

I don't know I'm with Charles Barkley - who has a golfer as a role model? Entertainers show you what they want you to see.

My Dad, God rest his soul, is my role model. My coaches and teachers and ministers were my role models. My older friends my mentors.

I love sports to death but have a professional athlete as a role model and you will ultimately be disappointed.

For his part Phil is entitled to do what he did. For all we know he called or spoke to Jack first and got his blessing. I do know about mental exhaustion and I only wish that mine came from playing in too many tournaments or traveling to France - Mine come from weeks where I've had to perform 5 funerals, or that time where I cut down a 20 something man who hung himself, today I have to let a school employee go who's been here for 30 years but who doesn't realize that she can no longer perform her work - I'm mentally exhausted thinking about that - wish I could go home before that deed gets done. But, I don't have the luxury of taking off when I feel that way other than to use vacation time. I don't begrudge Phil that opportunity - he chose and excelled in his line of work, I chose and have done whatever I've done in mine.

Tough to compare what a professional athlete goes through to what we go through or impose our standards on theirs - it's their perk - just don't have these guys or gals as role models.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

He pretty much said he'd been partying in Europe with his family the week before, I think he was just wiped out and not into it. Needed a vacation to recover from his vacation, boy do I know that feeling! While I don't think it was very professional of him, well, he's one of the best in the game right now and he can get away with that every now and then. There are perks to being that good. I'd much rather a player say "man, I've got a wicked hangover and I gotta go take a 2 day nap" than fake an injury.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

Archived