Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Comparing DTC irons

edbmac

Haven't used the used an Adam's irons recently, but you'll be hard pressed to find any difference between the Caley and Takomo irons other than badging. 

While not confirmed, it has been suggested they are the same irons (Takomo 101, 101t and Caley 01, 01t) from the same factory etc. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

1 hour ago, edbmac said:

I’m considering Takoma, Caley and Adam’s irons. I need feedback from those of you who have had experience with any of these companies and their products.

I'm a 10 hdcp player in my early 80’s. 

We had members test the Caley’s and the Takomo’s this year. Here are links to the testing threads, for your information and perusal:

Good Luck with your search!

WITB:

D: :taylormade-small: QI-10 core 9* Ventus Blue TR Velocore 6x

3w: :taylormade-small: Brnr mini driver 13.5 S

3h: :ping-small: G430 19° Tour 2/Stiff

7W: :callaway-small: 21° Rogue ST Max LinQ 7X

5i-6i:  :srixon-small: ZX5 MKII Project X 6.0

7i-PW: :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII Project X 6.0

50°, 54° & 58°:   :ping-small: Glide Forged Pro

P:   :odyssey-small: White Hot Versa DW

Ball:  :bridgestone-small: Tour BX mindset

Bag:  Ghost MGS Anyday 14 way

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

” The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep. - Frost

"That you are here—that life exists and identity,

That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." - Whitman

Carley and takomo definitely look the exact same. Haywood has some irons that look very similar as well. If they aren’t all made in the same factory or with the same type mold I’d be surprised.

I have a cobra rad speed driver, cobra fly z 3 and 5 wood, taylormade m1 irons (5-PW), Top Flite Gamer wedges (52,56,60), and odyssey white ice putter. When I’m playing to keep score I typically play the Maxfli Tour X. When just getting a round in with friends or scrambling I play whatever I might find on the course or might find at the bottom of my bag.

1 hour ago, edbmac said:

I’m considering Takoma, Caley and Adam’s irons. I need feedback from those of you who have had experience with any of these companies and their products.

Look at the Sub 70 brand.  Just got three wedges.  They are well built and they spin more, at least for me, than TM MG4s or PXGs. 

USA company in Illinois.  Got them within 2 weeks.  

Edited by Love2Golf526
Added info.

Jeff

#PXGTroops

:PXG:

2 hours ago, edbmac said:

If you are looking for wedges i highly recommend looking at WedgeFx! Lee is amazing at what he does and honestly the wedges are the best I have ever hit!

#GoBallsOutAlways #GoRickieGo

Driver:      :Sub70:849 Pro-:projectx:HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 70 6.0-NO1 50 Series Grip
Fairway:   :Sub70:949X-:projectx:HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 70 6.0 (1/2 inch short)-NO1 50 Series Grip
Driving Irons:     :Sub70:699 Pro 2-:truetemper: DG S400- NO1 50 Series Grips

Irons:     Custom:Sub70: 639 CB 5-Pw :truetemper: DG S400- NO1 50 Series Grips   
Wedges:   WedgeFx 52,56,60-:truetemper: DG S400Shafts-NO1 50 Series Grips 
Putter:      :Sub70: Sycamore 007-NO1 P90 Pistol Grip
Ball:           :odin:X1

Bag:     Side Street- Back9 Backpack Bag

Link to my Bag Boy ZTF Review!

13 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Haven't used the used an Adam's irons recently, but you'll be hard pressed to find any difference between the Caley and Takomo irons other than badging. 

While not confirmed, it has been suggested they are the same irons (Takomo 101, 101t and Caley 01, 01t) from the same factory etc. 

I don't have the full details, but there are interior differences even though they look the same on the outside. Takomo is truly hollow - no goo. I'm not even sure they have that tungsten weight like Caley does. Takomo doesn't seem to want to share all the details about their clubs like Caley does. I play the 101's and they look to have a thinner top line than the Caley's, although I can't say for certain since I haven't had the Caley in hand.

You might want to also look at Sub70. They have a full range of iron options - 749 GI irons, 699 v2 PD, 659 Player's, etc. Just depends on what you need and how you play. Call them and speak to their staff. They're fantastic at getting people in the right clubs and shafts. Their wedges (fully forged), fw's, and hybrids are also top notch.

In My Sun Mountain C-130 'merica Cart Bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth+ Rocket 3W, 13.5* turned down to 12.75*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 75g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 3w, 15*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 5w, 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939x 4H (21*), Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black, 90g
Irons: :Takomo: 101's, 5-PW, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Wedges: :Sub70: 286 @ 50*, JBFG @ 54* & 60*, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Putter: :Sub70: 002 Mid-Mallet @ 35", Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, Desert Camo
Ball: :maxfli: Tour & Testing :OnCore: Vero X1
Technology: :ShotScope: H4 w/ Tags, Pro L2 Rangefinder

Also have to mention @Indi Golf for wedges. Another member review was done and @GolfSpy SAM really loves his.

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

We would be remiss without mentioning Maltby (from Golfworks.com) as a viable option. They make truly excellent clubs as well, and there is a thread devoted to them here on MGS Forums:  

Hogan, MacGregor, Ram, etc.  There are lots of very good DTC options. It seems like an excellent time to be a DTC golf club consumer.

Working at getting better ... and very slowly getting there.

•  :callaway-small: Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 8* (:accra: FX 3.0 140 M0 Otto-Phlex)
  •  :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 & 5 Woods (:Fuji: MotoreX F1 7-S)
  • :callaway-small: Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrid (:Fuji: MotoreX HB 7-S)
  •  :Miura: CB-57 4-P or Maltby TS3 (4-8)/TS4 (9-PW)/TS1 (GW) (shafts:  :projectx: LZ 6.0)
  • :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore 53*, and 58* mid wedges (KBS High Rev 125)
  • :scotty-small: Special Select Fastback 1.5
  • :redrooster: Gloves
  •  :maxfli: Tour X Balls

Don't count my clubs!  Ha.  The 4 iron, 5 hybrid, and 53* Cleveland are in and out of the bag depending on mood, course, and moon phase.

My Official 2024 TaylorMade Qi10 Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62804-taylormade-qi10-drivers-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1014200

My Official 2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042

I’ve only had a chance to hit a friends 902 os irons.  They felt really good, they definitely were not over sized, and the price is right.  I’m obviously a big fan of new level.  If you’re looking into DTC and haven’t taken a look at them, I would at least take a look.  Truespec golf also does new level fittings…

Edited by Owengeorge13

🙃

I love my Ben Hogans and I was also very impressed with the Sub 70 639CBs that I hit as well as the New Level 902 and MODB-1 irons. I also love the look of the Haywood irons and really most the DTC irons seem compelling and interesting. 

Always my word of warning, the resale on these is typically quite low. That has nothing to do with their quality but more the market perception of it. 

I have a 5/6/7 iron in the New Level Gi22 that has Dynamic Gold R300 shafts in it that I will ship (if you pay the shipping) to someone if they would like to demo them. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

14 hours ago, Coulter said:

Carley and takomo definitely look the exact same. Haywood has some irons that look very similar as well. If they aren’t all made in the same factory or with the same type mold I’d be surprised.

I have looked at the images on both websites (which are eerily similar) - the heads do appear to be different, especially from the side view. The Takomo heads appear a little more smoothed out and finished. Interestingly, BOTH websites use the same email style for support or questions: [email protected] AND the price of the sets are also exactly the same. Call me a conspiracy theorist but these may be the same owners trying to leverage different markets. Seems incredible that Takomo wouldn’t be legally going after Caley otherwise. Just way to similar. IMHO

-ZoonORama (Keith)

• Irons:  :Takomo: 101T (4-PW)
  • Wedges:  :Takomo: Skyforger 52, 56, 60
  • Driver:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 9 degree (S/D)
  • Woods: :callaway-small: Mavrik 3 (15 degree), Mavrik 5 (18 degree)
  • Putter:  :odyssey-small:  Ai-ONE Milled 6 T DB
  • Balls:    :maxfli: Tour / Tour X
  • Rapsodo MLM
  • Garmin S42 Watch

7 minutes ago, ZoonORama said:

I have looked at the images on both websites (which are eerily similar) - the heads do appear to be different, especially from the side view. The Takomo heads appear a little more smoothed out and finished. Interestingly, BOTH websites use the same email style for support or questions: [email protected] AND the price of the sets are also exactly the same. Call me a conspiracy theorist but these may be the same owners trying to leverage different markets. Seems incredible that Takomo wouldn’t be legally going after Caley otherwise. Just way to similar. IMHO

There are plenty of plants in China that sell standard heads to anyone and anyone who wants can buy them. 

Nothing to go after anyone for as they are kinda blanks for anyone to purchase and sell. 

Not saying this is for sure the case, but I know both drop ship from China. There are I'm sure some differences but hard to tell from a glance.

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

I agree that DTC are limited in what they can provide in terms of types of irons, etc.  They just don’t have the R&D that the big guys have.  I think they try to copy major OEM shapes and specs with varying degrees of success.  I think Haywood does a really great job making very good products at great price points.  They also do some good testing which they have released through their robotic testing.

That being said, I am still really liking the shape and size of my 101Ts compared to my Haywood Signatures I previously gamed.  The major issue with the Signatures was there was a bit of a hot spot which if you hit it flush just went too far for me.  It was a particular problem with long par 3s or mid iron approach shots.

My scratch fourball match play team mate recently said, don’t worry that they aren’t a Titleist or a TM.  They work for you and the numbers and shot shape looks great, so just keep them in your bag.  I can’t agree more.  It’s a bit counterintuitive, but the smaller head size and narrower top line and bit less offset are really working for me.

:titelist-small:  TSR 3   9.0  GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:titelist-small: U-510 19 Utility Iron HZDUS Smoke Black 6.0 Stiff

:Takomo:  5-PW 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Scotty Special Select - Squareback 2 - 35”  / Super Stroke Slim 3.0

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Loyal MCC Plus 4 Sensor User

54 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

There are plenty of plants in China that sell standard heads to anyone and anyone who wants can buy them. 

Nothing to go after anyone for as they are kinda blanks for anyone to purchase and sell. 

Not saying this is for sure the case, but I know both drop ship from China. There are I'm sure some differences but hard to tell from a glance.

Check this thread out. In the pages of this thread the Caley owner and founder pipes in and squashes the bugs. https://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/index.php?threads/and-we-have-a-new-player-in-the-dtc-market.8952563/page-3

Current WITB:

Driver:   default_benhogan-small.gif.bd4aea80f46a0fd64e2b8412d1ee19dc.gif Big Ben CS3 9.5deg Aldila NV-h 70-R

Fairway: Screenshot2023-10-09155350.png.f5298944b93169e969fa080bb4230249.png KE4 3W w/KE4 75-R

Irons Screenshot2023-10-09155350.png.f5298944b93169e969fa080bb4230249.png MMB Forged 3-PW w/TT Dynamic Gold Lite

Wedges:  Screenshot2023-10-09155350.png.f5298944b93169e969fa080bb4230249.png56 Deg, 60 Deg

Putter:   Sub70.png Sycamore 008 Mallet

Preferred Balls: Titleist ProV1

Having had the Caley 01T's in the bag for the last few months, I can tell you that no one should have any qualms about buying DTC at this point - whether Caley, Takomo, New Level, Sub-70, etc., each of these companies is making something quality and worth the VERY marked-down price that comes with them.

Obviously, you're taking a gamble because you don't get to hit them first, and if you custom-order them at all, they're (typically) not returnable.  I can see that scaring off quite a few people.  That being said, I'm 90% sure ANY custom order from ANY OEM is usually not-returnable, so...?

One thing I can speak to is that Takomo's 101T's (and 101's) are not polymer-filled, and Caley's are.  I genuinely LOVE the 01T's - the feel/sound is fantastic, they're shockingly forgiving considering how much smaller they are compared to my previous (game improvement) set, and I'd compare them VERY favorably to the P790s that I hit multiple times at in-store demos before these arrived.

My HCI has been trending downward since putting these in the bag, and have shot my two lowest rounds ever (75/78) in consecutive weeks with these - and as a guy who had "break 80" on his 2023 Goals List, that's a pretty big deal.

I'm a big fan.

Now: if you don't like KBS Tour shafts, you're pretty much out of luck, as that's what they ship with (there MAY be an option to ship heads-only - I know Takomo does that), but I have found the KBS Tour Lite equal to if not better than my Nippon 105s that I had in my previous set, so it's been a really positive experience all things considered.

As for the Indi Wedges, I can honestly say that I love them and can't imagine taking them out of the bag - at least not without some kind of fierce showdown with whatever was challenging them.  They feel pretty much automatic - I did a write-up on my fitting experience with them down in Carlsbad (I live a few hours north and thought it would make for a cool experience to go down and get fitted, as I'd never gotten fitted for wedges before) - you can check that out here (clickable) if you want to check that out.

The build quality is incredible, I (personally) love the full-face grooves, and the slightly oversized head makes me feel like there's just SO much forgiveness.  Having never played full-faced wedges, this was a new and delightful surprise.  

Obviously, being local to the area allowed for a fitting which has really dialed in what clubs I should be playing, and to be honest, I would have NEVER gone with the "ATK" that I got fitted into, but it was so clear that my steep angle of attack necessitated that grind, and it's been a (literal) game changer for me. 

So my wrap-up (to this long post - apologies) would be to take the money you'll save by going DTC, and go get fit at a really reputable fitter, get all your specs, and then order from the DTC that matches up the look/design/shaft you're looking for, and then go to a really fancy dinner with your partner with the money you still have left over 😉

Good luck, and let us know what you decide on!

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

I haven't been able to demo any DTC clubs but based on reviews and feedback I wouldn't have any problems trying some out. Of the brand in the OP's list, I'd probably lean more towards Adams just because I like all the forgiveness I can get. I am finding, however, that turf interaction is more important than I previously considered. So that's one thing that does hold me back a bit, not being able to try a DTC brand out on grass before purchasing.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

2 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

I haven't been able to demo any DTC clubs but based on reviews and feedback I wouldn't have any problems trying some out. Of the brand in the OP's list, I'd probably lean more towards Adams just because I like all the forgiveness I can get. I am finding, however, that turf interaction is more important than I previously considered. So that's one thing that does hold me back a bit, not being able to try a DTC brand out on grass before purchasing.

Sub70 has a great demo program for all of their clubs. Jump on their website and check it out. It's $120 down and $100 refunded after they're returned, postage paid by Sub70 both ways. I think New Level and Haywood have demo programs, but not sure they're as robust as Sub70.

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth+ Rocket 3W, 13.5* turned down to 12.75*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 75g

23 minutes ago, GolfSpy SAM said:

Having had the Caley 01T's in the bag for the last few months, I can tell you that no one should have any qualms about buying DTC at this point - whether Caley, Takomo, New Level, Sub-70, etc., each of these companies is making something quality and worth the VERY marked-down price that comes with them.

Obviously, you're taking a gamble because you don't get to hit them first, and if you custom-order them at all, they're (typically) not returnable.  I can see that scaring off quite a few people.  That being said, I'm 90% sure ANY custom order from ANY OEM is usually not-returnable, so...?

One thing I can speak to is that Takomo's 101T's (and 101's) are not polymer-filled, and Caley's are.  I genuinely LOVE the 01T's - the feel/sound is fantastic, they're shockingly forgiving considering how much smaller they are compared to my previous (game improvement) set, and I'd compare them VERY favorably to the P790s that I hit multiple times at in-store demos before these arrived.

My HCI has been trending downward since putting these in the bag, and have shot my two lowest rounds ever (75/78) in consecutive weeks with these - and as a guy who had "break 80" on his 2023 Goals List, that's a pretty big deal.

I'm a big fan.

Now: if you don't like KBS Tour shafts, you're pretty much out of luck, as that's what they ship with (there MAY be an option to ship heads-only - I know Takomo does that), but I have found the KBS Tour Lite equal to if not better than my Nippon 105s that I had in my previous set, so it's been a really positive experience all things considered.

Caley does offer heads-only for all 3 models, I've checked. I'm looking to build something with my Recoil Prototype 125 shafts and the 01's were on my mind.

I have the 101's and the fact they're goo-less is a disappointment (another reason I'm looking 01's instead of a second set of 101's).

Sub70 has a 30-day return policy on any order, and all their clubs are "custom" at this point. So that (along with their customer service) gives them a bit of a step ahead of others IMHO. I'm not saying everyone should buy Sub70, but my experience with them and Takomo and limited experience with Caley, New Level, and Haywood would suggest they are the DTC leaders at the moment. Hell, I spoke with Jason (the owner/founder) 2 days after Thanksgiving the other year to talk about a few things club-related.

But right now, most all DTC's have quality products that will fit any number of golfers looking for what they sell. It's just a matter of what people are looking for.

2 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I think the cat's kind of getting out of the bag on this "theory". I've seen and made comments on this idea throughout other forums and YouTube reviews. There doesn't seem to be any rebuttal from reps at these companies denying otherwise and they are clearly present in the comments. These newer "pop-up" companies definitely seem to be re-stamped factory models but maybe with different finishes and brand names. I'm sure they're decent clubs but they just have no soul IMO. 

Being the father of the thread, I 2nd @IndyBonzoabout Maltby clubs. It's interesting that they seem to be the lesser-known of the DTC brands because they just won't do any review send outs or consumer testing, but they've been around so much longer. That said, if you dive into their world, you'll find out that their designs are 100% original, and in fact have some very innovative qualities that I wouldn't doubt some of the bigger companies are "borrowing". They also have their own tooling and fabrication process albeit they do come out of China. Many of the irons have milled faces, grooves, and soles AND are full forgings with 1025 steel which is one of the better alloys for forged clubs. What all of this means is they they cut NO corners in making their product, and the stuff is as premium as anything. Another great fact is that their head designers are 100% accessible for Q&A about the club designs and most questions that us club dorks would have. These other companies, I'd be surprised to find a designer even working for the company. Sure they might all have a president or main rep, but who is the actual person responsible for designing each model of club that they are putting out? Also, if you end up buying a set, you don't become a victim of a "Warrior Golf" MLM type marketing barrage of nauseating spam emails. 

I know I've posted this around the forum but here are a few of models that I've built for myself and other people for reference. As you can see these look like nothing like anything else in the DTC world. 

The pictures in order are the TS4, the TS3, and KE4 Max. This shows a good progression between super game improvement and players blades.

20230515_215234.jpg.cf7c6a16d525d906c80ec97d2d55380e.jpg

20230922_114356.jpg.1fc97bbe68ae506dc8eeceaf27b4d7c0.jpg

20230911_182346.jpg.3634d10fa3169a206c2d5678a47aeb9c.jpg

Edited by azstu324

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

1 hour ago, azstu324 said:

I think the cat's kind of getting out of the bag on this "theory". I've seen and made comments on this idea throughout other forums and YouTube reviews. There doesn't seem to be any rebuttal from reps at these companies denying otherwise and they are clearly present in the comments. These newer "pop-up" companies definitely seem to be re-stamped factory models but maybe with different finishes and brand names. I'm sure they're decent clubs but they just have no soul IMO. 

Being the father of the thread, I 2nd @IndyBonzoabout Maltby clubs. It's interesting that they seem to be the lesser-known of the DTC brands because they just won't do any review send outs or consumer testing, but they've been around so much longer. That said, if you dive into their world, you'll find out that their designs are 100% original, and in fact have some very innovative qualities that I wouldn't doubt some of the bigger companies are "borrowing". They also have their own tooling and fabrication process albeit they do come out of China. Many of the irons have milled faces, grooves, and soles AND are full forgings with 1025 steel which is one of the better alloys for forged clubs. What all of this means is they they cut NO corners in making their product, and the stuff is as premium as anything. Another great fact is that their head designers are 100% accessible for Q&A about the club designs and most questions that us club dorks would have. These other companies, I'd be surprised to find a designer even working for the company. Sure they might all have a president or main rep, but who is the actual person responsible for designing each model of club that they are putting out? Also, if you end up buying a set, you don't become a victim of a "Warrior Golf" MLM type marketing barrage of nauseating spam emails. 

I know I've posted this around the forum but here are a few of models that I've built for myself and other people for reference. As you can see these look like nothing like anything else in the DTC world. 

The pictures in order are the TS4, the TS3, and KE4 Max. This shows a good progression between super game improvement and players blades.

Ryan from Caley has stated several times (once in the thread previously posted to THP) that their designs are 100% their own, as is the tooling, etc.  For what it's worth.  

However, I will 100% agree on your assessment of Maltby, and were I to be in the market to purchase today with my own money, I would be VERY hard-pressed not to go with the TS3's or TS4's (or a combo set, ideally).  I tested the TS3's (6 and 9 iron) and found them to be incredibly well-made and genuinely, INSANELY easy to hit.  Truly awesome clubs. 

Also, in case people don't know - GolfWorks has a custom shop that will build the clubs for you in any set-up you want for minimal cost, and they're assembled in the USA, if that's a consideration.

Also also - just looooook at those TS4's.  Sheesh. Such a great-looking club.

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

17 hours ago, Love2Golf526 said:

Look at the Sub 70 brand.  Just got three wedges.  They are well built and they spin more, at least for me, than TM MG4s or PXGs. 

USA company in Illinois.  Got them within 2 weeks.  

I second taking a look at Sub70. I have the 659CB irons, the 286 wedges and an AL-6 putter. I really like all of it! They feel great, look great, and perform nicely!
Sub 70 also offers a phenomenal fitting experience if you’re anywhere near Chicago. I haven’t been, but I have two golf buddies who said it was right up there for top golf experiences in their lives. 

IMG_6624.jpeg

WITB (link to detailed post here):

Driver:  Cobragolflogo.png.602fb363b272aeca0ae57ab591da02de.png LTDx 9* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff)

Fairway metals:  TITLEIST_logo_15px.png.86858562876473681822bdce0336ecd4.png 3W TSR2 14.25* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff) | PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png 5W Gen4 0341XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75 S)

Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png4H Gen4 0317XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75HY S)

Irons:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 659 CB 5-AW (Project X Rifle 6.0)

Wedges:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 286 54* & 58* (KBS Tour 120 S)

Putter:  Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png AL-6 armlock | Unofficial review here

Ball:   Vice_logo.png.282566e7be35424dbb3a5d3359e6385f.png pro drip: red & blue | MAXFLI_logo_15px.png.137df4bf59bf3628d99abc6ca08fd43f.png Tour S

Pushcart:  clicgear_logo.png.5569d627daa35e79384784c8a4e886f4.png 4.0 | '23 MGS Clicgear 4.0 Pushcart Tester | Link here

On 11/1/2023 at 6:46 PM, edbmac said:

I did find the specifications between the Caley 01T and the Takomo 101T - while they look similar and share some specs, they are very different in the loft department. 

IMG_1907.jpeg

-ZoonORama (Keith)

• Rapsodo MLM
  • Garmin S42 Watch

10 hours ago, azstu324 said:

I totally agree here. I have been playing Maltby for many years plus, the main shop is in Newark Ohio, about 40 minutes from me. I have been fitted there twice over the years and they have a school that teaches club building and design theory as well.

Can’t go wrong with Maltby clubs, plus Golf Galaxy bought them several years ago and you can usually pick up parts and such at Golf Galaxy from Golfworks. I currently sport TS1s and really like the feel. I am intrigued by the Takomo 101T so I ordered a set to see how they compare to the TS1s directly. We will see how I feel once they arrive and I hit them a bit.

⛳

-ZoonORama (Keith)

• Rapsodo MLM
  • Garmin S42 Watch

You can’t beat Sub 70. They have irons for all types of golfers. Great company to work with from Jason on down. 

D- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

Hybrid- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699 U  21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges- Sub 70 286 50+54, Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree 

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach soft # 11

Ball- Titleist Tour Soft

Would recommend haywood for having the most options/customizations (shafts, grips, ferrules etc) available out of all the DTC brands and they offer heads only and left hand for everything. Sub70 is a close second for me as they have great products and a solid selection of options as well.

Prefer both the mentioned above because it seems like they design their own products and they custom assemble their orders in North America (based on my personal experience knowing this and needing to make changes which they were both able to do)

Caley seems to have copied everything from other DTC manufacturers. Nothing of theirs is original. Both Caley and takomo only have 1 or 2 shafts they offer since everything is assemble in and shipped from China,  they are only able to offer a minimal selection of options.

End of the day, has to fit your budget and looks preference. Personally I like businesses based in North America (I am From the USA) and am willing to pay a little bit more versus companies like Takomo that essentially is just a really good marketing company from the EU, or Caley (not as good marketing) since neither don't actually handle or build any of the clubs themselves. To me, its like buying a stock set from Dick Sporting Goods. At least the first two brands mentioned above build everything to spec and ensure its correct.

Edited by biggolfguy1990

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2023 at 9:30 AM, biggolfguy1990 said:

Would recommend haywood for having the most options/customizations (shafts, grips, ferrules etc) available out of all the DTC brands and they offer heads only and left hand for everything. Sub70 is a close second for me as they have great products and a solid selection of options as well.

Prefer both the mentioned above because it seems like they design their own products and they custom assemble their orders in North America (based on my personal experience knowing this and needing to make changes which they were both able to do)

Caley seems to have copied everything from other DTC manufacturers. Nothing of theirs is original. Both Caley and takomo only have 1 or 2 shafts they offer since everything is assemble in and shipped from China,  they are only able to offer a minimal selection of options.

End of the day, has to fit your budget and looks preference. Personally I like businesses based in North America (I am From the USA) and am willing to pay a little bit more versus companies like Takomo that essentially is just a really good marketing company from the EU, or Caley (not as good marketing) since neither don't actually handle or build any of the clubs themselves. To me, its like buying a stock set from Dick Sporting Goods. At least the first two brands mentioned above build everything to spec and ensure its correct.

Maltby has been very good for the past 25 years.  They are over the top good right now with their irons/hybrids/fwy.     Just a great time to get a custom set.

In My Bag

Driver- Wishon 919 9 degree, Aldila DVS-   Shopping for new soon.

Fwy- TM- RBZ Stage II tour 3HL

Utility- Adams Red- 20 degree

Irons- Adams A-4 Forged 5-PW

Wedges- Adams-CB-3 50 deg, Infiniti IP-3 55-60

Putter- David Mills- Nellie Stainless

Ball- Bridgestone B-330S