Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

SEASON 2 - WEEK 37 MYGOLFSPY FORUM MEMBER WEEKLY VIRTUAL CHAMPIONSHIP TOUR (VCT)

Tournament Dates: 12/11/2023 - 12/17/2023

MyGolfSpy Forum Member
Weekly Championship Tour
Season 2
December 11 through December 17
Pos. Player Course Name Gross Score Course Handicap Gross Strokes over/under par Net Score to Par Net Score SIM Round?
1 Sun City Golf Club Cowan Creek 66 1 -6 -7 65
2 Sulphur Springs Country Club 74 8 2 -6 66
T3 Sun City Golf Club Cowan Creek 68 1 -4 -5 67
T3 Sulphur Springs Country Club 77 10 5 -5 67
T5 Sun City Golf Club Legacy Hills 70 1 -2 -3 69
T5 Bent Creek GC 73 5 2 -3 68
7 Sand Canyon (Mountain/Valley) 80 11 9 -2 69
T8 Lago Vista 76 5 4 -1 71
T8 Tanah Merah Country Club - Garden 85 15 14 -1 70
T10 Stonelick Hills 72 0 0 0 72 SIM
T10 St. Clair Shores Golf Club 74 4 4 0 70
T10 WINSTAR GOLF COURSE- SCISSORTAIL 82 10 10 0 72
T13 Key West Golf Club 85 13 15 2 72
T13 Providence Golf Course 89 16 18 2 73
T13 Snowflake Municipal 75 1 3 2 74
T13 Fort Walton Beach - The Pines 79 5 7 2 74
T13 Surrey Hills 77 4 6 2 73
T18 Siena Golf Club 93 17 21 4 76
T18 The Grove, Chandler's Cross, UK 76 0 4 4 76 SIM
T18 Key West Golf Club 86 12 16 4 74
T18 The Club at Hidden Creek 84 8 12 4 76
T18 Hillwood Country Club 81 5 9 4 76
23 Banff Springs GC 76 0 5 5 76 SIM

Date 12/14/2023
Course Name Sulphur Springs Country Club
Gross Score 77
Course Handicap 10
Gross Strokes over/under par 5
Net Score to Par -5
Net Score 67
Net Birdies or better 9
Longest Drive 262
SIM Round?

I played 3 days in a row so far this week. Tuesday, I shot a 91 and that was with a great putting round. Wednesday, I decided to weaken my right hand grip, and while I struck the ball much better, I was not particularly comfortable and still shot an 84. Today, the grip change felt great. 

I did hit my opening drive behind a tree and had to cut a 3/4 driver-off-the-deck around it, then nearly drained a 35’ birdie putt, but had a tap in. Chipped to a foot on 2. Chipped in for pars on 3 & 4. Lipped out birdie putts on 5, 7, 8, 10, 11, and 14. Chipped to within tap-in range 6 & 12. Came up a foot short of a hole-in-one on 13. 

I was 10 yards from the pin on 15, 1 under par, and blew up. Made double. Came up short on 16 and made another double. Then bogeyed 17, and then hit the flag on 18 and caromed off the green into the lake. Pitched it to a foot for a tap-in bogey.

I simply cruised through the first 14 holes and overall it was the best ball striking day in years. I shouldn’t be disappointed with a net 67, but I feel like I really blew it at the end of the round. 

There will be more golf this week, so we will see if I have turned the corner. 

IMG_1628.jpeg.518ab92efda610c85dec356b17fc7955.jpeg

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Date 12/15/2023
Course Name Stonelick Hills
Gross Score 72
Course Handicap 0
Gross Strokes over/under par 0
Net Score to Par 0
Net Score 72
Net Birdies or better 4
Longest Drive 243
SIM Round? SIM

Good SIM round on a tough local course. IMG_2018.png

long drive of 243 with the 3 hybrid was nice. What will really be nice, is playing this actual course again. The SIM round only reminded me how much I like the layout. 

WITB:

D: :taylormade-small: QI-10 core 9* Ventus Blue TR Velocore 6x

3w: :taylormade-small: Brnr mini driver 13.5 S

3h: :ping-small: G430 19° Tour 2/Stiff

7W: :callaway-small: 21° Rogue ST Max LinQ 7X

5i-6i:  :srixon-small: ZX5 MKII Project X 6.0

7i-PW: :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII Project X 6.0

50°, 54° & 58°:   :ping-small: Glide Forged Pro

P:   :odyssey-small: White Hot Versa DW

Ball:  :bridgestone-small: Tour BX mindset

Bag:  Ghost MGS Anyday 14 way

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

” The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep. - Frost

"That you are here—that life exists and identity,

That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." - Whitman

Date 12/15/2023
Course Name Bent Creek GC
Gross Score 73
Course Handicap 5
Gross Strokes over/under par 2
Net Score to Par -3
Net Score 68
Net Birdies or better 7
Longest Drive 235
SIM Round?

Best of the week,  started in light mist, but cleared to nice day.  Lipped out 2 other birdie putts - one from 50 feet, and one from about 90 feet!

:Sub70:Driver : Sub70 839D

:Sub70:3 wood Sub 70 pro

:Sub70: Hybrid Sub 70 849 18*

:Sub70:Hybrid Sub 70 839 21*

:Sub70:Irons Sub 70 639 combo

:Sub70:Wedges Sub 70 659 approach 50*, 286 full face groove 54*

:seemore-small:Putter FGP

:titleist-small:Ball  Titleist AVX

Grips: Best Grips std leather

Date 12/16/2023
Course Name Sand Canyon (Mountain/Valley)
Gross Score 80
Course Handicap 11
Gross Strokes over/under par 9
Net Score to Par -2
Net Score 69
Net Birdies or better 7
Longest Drive 339
SIM Round?

Okay. So, let's just talk about the 339 yard drive. Lol. 

I'm honestly not sure how to calculate this, so I'll let the community weigh in. 

Dog leg left, helping wind. If you can carry the corner, you're in prime shape. I hit my drive about as good as I can, and I teed it up a little higher than normal hoping for a boost from the wind. 

Find the ball (after nearly giving up looking for it because it was WAY ahead of where I thought it might be) 75 yards from the hole. 

Now, the hole plays at 414, but that's if you play it straight down, then straight left. But since I don't have Trackman on the course, there's no way for me to know exactly the distance it went in the air, I can only go off what I had left. 

So you tell me: do I take what I had left, or do i try to calculate the distance it flew? 

Either way, it was an AMAZING day outside in nature. Strong winds (gusts north of 30mph), sun, mountains surrounding - a really beautiful track with LIGHTNING greens. 

Couldn't buy a putt to save my life (34), but no three-putts and juuuustmissed on 4, so... One of those days. 

Also! 

Played the Odin ball today, and VERY impressed with the feel and the flight, especially in the wind. Cover durability also was pretty great - no real issues at all. 

IMG_7893.jpeg

(View from the tee on One)

IMG_7897.jpeg

Gratuitous beauty shot

IMG_7911.jpeg

(View from just above 18 tee boxes - tee shot goal is over the large tree center of fairway)IMG_7910.jpeg

(Only two birdies came from great chips - this one from 55 yards out)

IMG_7900.jpeg

(One more of the Odin, landscape this time)

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

Date 12/15/2023
Course Name The Club at Hidden Creek
Gross Score 84
Course Handicap 8
Gross Strokes over/under par 12
Net Score to Par 4
Net Score 76
Net Birdies or better 4
Longest Drive 278
SIM Round?

12/15/23 

Was able to get out today and play a round with the ODIN X1. I was very hesitant at first not knowing how the ball would be in windy and wet conditions, but to say that I was impressed is an understatement. I continually keep being impressed by this ball. I am not sure if it is the fact that the ball is in a price range that I like and therefore the performance is skewed for me (something that I have to quantify for myself) but so far I really like this ball 

Hitting my first real shot (something besides a wedge) with a 5 wood off the tee and I was able to blast it with a nice little fade down the middle of the fairway (244 yds) 

Next shot 53 yds - 58 degree wedge to from pin location, hit about 5 ft from hole and spin it back about 6 ft just to off the fringe (Ball was very spinny) 

Although I missed my putt from just off the fringe, it putted true 

I could go through the whole round shot by shot, but I will not bore you with all that detail. I will say that with the driver I did not lose any distance and because it was windy and wet it was really hard to quantify if I added any distance (I do not think so), but I was able to hit my fade and baby draws easily (if I made a good swing).

The next thing was mid irons (I carry 6-9) and wanted to see if I could hit high and low and fade and draw, again this ball did everything I wanted if I made a good swing.  I have a lower ball flight than most and I did not see it really change.

I did hit a couple trees today (just to check durability) and the ball had no blemishes except for your normal color off the tree when hit, but did not ever show wear on it. I also hit out of the sand three times and yet again no blemishes.

Well after only one round in the books with the ODIN X1 as I stated above I very impressed - cannot wait to see how this ball does after a few more rounds 

Pics to come - technical difficulties on my part 

Driver 1:  :taylormade-small: Stealth 12 degree - Ventus Red 5-S 

Driver 2: :taylormade-small: 300 Mini Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 60G Stiff (tipped to 44.5inch)

3 Wood 2: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max Fujikura Pro 65-S (higher ball flight)

5 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Ventus Black 6-S

9 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Ventus Red 5-R

Irons: :cobra-small: King Tour 2023 - Fujikura Pro 95 Stiff - 6-9 - Fitted 

Wedges: :titleist-small: SM9 - 45-10F, 48-10F, 54-12-D, 58-12D (Testing Callaway Jaws 58-12-W)

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S - Fitted 

Balls :odin: - X1

On 12/14/2023 at 7:22 PM, RoverRick said:
Date 12/14/2023
Gross Score 77
Course Handicap 10
Gross Strokes over/under par 5
Net Score to Par -5
Net Score 67
Net Birdies or better 9
Longest Drive 262
SIM Round?  

I played 3 days in a row so far this week. Tuesday, I shot a 91 and that was with a great putting round. Wednesday, I decided to weaken my right hand grip, and while I struck the ball much better, I was not particularly comfortable and still shot an 84. Today, the grip change felt great. 

I did hit my opening drive behind a tree and had to cut a 3/4 driver-off-the-deck around it, then nearly drained a 35’ birdie putt, but had a tap in. Chipped to a foot on 2. Chipped in for pars on 3 & 4. Lipped out birdie putts on 5, 7, 8, 10, 11, and 14. Chipped to within tap-in range 6 & 12. Came up a foot short of a hole-in-one on 13. 

I was 10 yards from the pin on 15, 1 under par, and blew up. Made double. Came up short on 16 and made another double. Then bogeyed 17, and then hit the flag on 18 and caromed off the green into the lake. Pitched it to a foot for a tap-in bogey.

I simply cruised through the first 14 holes and overall it was the best ball striking day in years. I shouldn’t be disappointed with a net 67, but I feel like I really blew it at the end of the round. 

There will be more golf this week, so we will see if I have turned the corner. 

IMG_1628.jpeg.518ab92efda610c85dec356b17fc7955.jpeg

Hey take it easy on me the next few weeks while I am away. Don’t run away with it! Ha ha

Play like a champion today!

1 hour ago, GolfSpy SAM said:
Date 12/16/2023
Gross Score 80
Course Handicap 11
Net Score to Par -2
Net Score 69
Net Birdies or better 7
Longest Drive 339
SIM Round?  

I'm honestly not sure how to calculate this, so I'll let the community weigh in. 

Dog leg left, helping wind. If you can carry the corner, you're in prime shape. I hit my drive about as good as I can, and I teed it up a little higher than normal hoping for a boost from the wind. 

Find the ball (after nearly giving up looking for it because it was WAY ahead of where I thought it might be) 75 yards from the hole. 

Now, the hole plays at 414, but that's if you play it straight down, then straight left. But since I don't have Trackman on the course, there's no way for me to know exactly the distance it went in the air, I can only go off what I had left. 

So you tell me: do I take what I had left, or do i try to calculate the distance it flew? 

Either way, it was an AMAZING day outside in nature. Strong winds (gusts north of 30mph), sun, mountains surrounding - a really beautiful track with LIGHTNING greens. 

Couldn't buy a putt to save my life (34), but no three-putts and juuuustmissed on 4, so... One of those days. 

Also! 

Played the Odin ball today, and VERY impressed with the feel and the flight, especially in the wind. Cover durability also was pretty great - no real issues at all. 

IMG_7893.jpeg

IMG_7897.jpeg

Gratuitous beauty shot

IMG_7911.jpeg

(View from just above 18 tee boxes - tee shot goal is over the large tree center of fairway)IMG_7910.jpeg

IMG_7900.jpeg

Nice round and drive! 

1 hour ago, GolfSpy SAM said:
Date 12/16/2023
Gross Score 80
Course Handicap 11
Net Score to Par -2
Net Score 69
Net Birdies or better 7
Longest Drive 339
SIM Round?  

Also! 

IMG_7893.jpeg

IMG_7897.jpeg

Gratuitous beauty shot

IMG_7911.jpeg

IMG_7900.jpeg

Great drive! And the photos are 🔥, as always. As the duly appointed commissioner of the VCT, I rule that the 339 yard drive stands as the method described to reach that conclusion is sound in reasoning and more importantly, you can’t argue with the math. 414 yard hole, 75 yards left for your second shot. Wind or not, well done sir. 🙌

WITB:

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

1 hour ago, Javs said:

Hey take it easy on me the next few weeks while I am away. Don’t run away with it! Ha ha

I shot a -4 today. Only problem was I only played 8 holes before the rain and wind came. I intentionally didn’t play the 9th hole. 135 to an island green in the rain and 25 mph wind isn’t a recipe for a birdie, and I wanted to feel great about the state of my game. 7/7 Fairways and 5/8 GIR and just 9 putts is a lot to feel great about. 

It's amazing how much difference just a little change in the right hand position has made. I hadn’t been doing it with partial swings. Just the full swings, and it was resulting in 30-40 yard pulls. Under-rotating and flipping. Looks like I will have decent golf weather 12 of the next 14 days. 

19 minutes ago, RoverRick said:

I shot a -4 today. Only problem was I only played 8 holes before the rain and wind came. I intentionally didn’t play the 9th hole. 135 to an island green in the rain and 25 mph wind isn’t a recipe for a birdie, and I wanted to feel great about the state of my game. 7/7 Fairways and 5/8 GIR and just 9 putts is a lot to feel great about. 

It's amazing how much difference just a little change in the right hand position has made. I hadn’t been doing it with partial swings. Just the full swings, and it was resulting in 30-40 yard pulls. Under-rotating and flipping. Looks like I will have decent golf weather 12 of the next 14 days. 

Sounds like you found something! How are you a nine handicap if you ripped 4 under for eight holes!!! Ha ha. Nice playing and when I come back expect you to be around a 2 handicap and the points leader still. Nice playing, keep it up!!!

1 hour ago, Javs said:

Sounds like you found something! How are you a nine handicap if you ripped 4 under for eight holes!!! Ha ha. Nice playing and when I come back expect you to be around a 2 handicap and the points leader still. Nice playing, keep it up!!!

I was a 0.2 handicap index at one point. Then injured my shoulder and arm. Then knee surgery. Then arthritis. Then ankle surgery. Then more knee injuries. Then more ankle problems. For some reason my swing changed during that period. 

In strokes gained, I am often -8 to 10 off the tee, -3 to 4 approach, +1 to 3 short game, and +3 to 5 putting. If I can make decent full swings I can score well. But my full swing changes daily because of I’ve been trying to find something that allows me to have the same swing 2 days in a row. And often I change once or twice during the round. I play at least 4 times a week. I play well maybe once a week. I have fluctuated between 6 and 12 in the last year. I’m usually scrambling to make bogey because poor full swings. 

On one hand, today was an aberration. No pressure or bets and knew I wasn’t going to get in a full round of golf before the weather. I was just practicing. On the other, if I can do it for 8 holes, or 14 holes, I should be able to do it for 18. I think I found a swing I can use and still walk afterwards. This is a test to see if I can play 6 days in a row relatively pain free. So far so good. 

9 hours ago, RoverRick said:

I was a 0.2 handicap index at one point. Then injured my shoulder and arm. Then knee surgery. Then arthritis. Then ankle surgery. Then more knee injuries. Then more ankle problems. For some reason my swing changed during that period. 

In strokes gained, I am often -8 to 10 off the tee, -3 to 4 approach, +1 to 3 short game, and +3 to 5 putting. If I can make decent full swings I can score well. But my full swing changes daily because of I’ve been trying to find something that allows me to have the same swing 2 days in a row. And often I change once or twice during the round. I play at least 4 times a week. I play well maybe once a week. I have fluctuated between 6 and 12 in the last year. I’m usually scrambling to make bogey because poor full swings. 

On one hand, today was an aberration. No pressure or bets and knew I wasn’t going to get in a full round of golf before the weather. I was just practicing. On the other, if I can do it for 8 holes, or 14 holes, I should be able to do it for 18. I think I found a swing I can use and still walk afterwards. This is a test to see if I can play 6 days in a row relatively pain free. So far so good. 

Wow, without the injuries you would be tearing it up! Good luck and stay healthy!!

9 hours ago, RoverRick said:

I hear you @RoverRick!  Getting old...well, it's better than the alternative!   Throw in the injuries and wear and tear on joints it adds to the complexity of the game.  

I was never as good as you, but when I had too many knee operations, broken neck due to a scooter accident, two shoulder surgeries and a disease that inherently fuses your back, it's sort of amazing I can still play.  When I finally got my knee replaced, he fixed the fact that I was a little bow legged.  The downside is that my left leg with the new knee is now about 0.25 to 0.5 inches longer than my other leg.  At first, it was just a nuisance buying suit pants.  But now, it's impacting my left hip.   

After all of this, I agree with you that your game often changes as your body compensates for what it can and cannot do.  The best parts of my game when I was younger are now my worse and visa versa.  My strokes gained and lost mirror your experience.  My driver (as far as hitting fairways certainly not distance as I struggle getting 175 yards on drives), short game and putting are my strengths.  Long irons and overall iron approach shots are my downfall.  Even with all the surgeries, aging and everything else, my average score each year for the last 16 years has stayed roughly the same (+/- 1 stroke).  This year I fear it's actually starting to catch up with me as I'm betting, I'll be at least two strokes worse at the end of the year. 

Even with the changes in my game, it's still happy I can play the game that I love.  

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

22 minutes ago, Golf2Much said:

I hear you @RoverRick!  Getting old...well, it's better than the alternative!   Throw in the injuries and wear and tear on joints it adds to the complexity of the game.  

I was never as good as you, but when I had too many knee operations, broken neck due to a scooter accident, two shoulder surgeries and a disease that inherently fuses your back, it's sort of amazing I can still play.  When I finally got my knee replaced, he fixed the fact that I was a little bow legged.  The downside is that my left leg with the new knee is now about 0.25 to 0.5 inches longer than my other leg.  At first, it was just a nuisance buying suit pants.  But now, it's impacting my left hip.   

After all of this, I agree with you that your game often changes as your body compensates for what it can and cannot do.  The best parts of my game when I was younger are now my worse and visa versa.  My strokes gained and lost mirror your experience.  My driver (as far as hitting fairways certainly not distance as I struggle getting 175 yards on drives), short game and putting are my strengths.  Long irons and overall iron approach shots are my downfall.  Even with all the surgeries, aging and everything else, my average score each year for the last 16 years has stayed roughly the same (+/- 1 stroke).  This year I fear it's actually starting to catch up with me as I'm betting, I'll be at least two strokes worse at the end of the year. 

Even with the changes in my game, it's still happy I can play the game that I love.  

Well stated. Sounds like we are a bunch of old broken guys! Ha ha. I was wounded in Iraq and never fully recovered. Had both knees replaced after 7 over surgeries. Several other issues. Coupled with a really bad back and many broken bones that remind every morning that my old occupation wasn’t kind to my body! However, still luckier than many others. Like you stated better than being on the other side of the grass!! Also, we can all still play golf and sometimes even well. 

@Javs, thank you for your service.   I think you understated the "sometimes even well" statement!  Just look at your scores!  Very impressive indeed!  

@Javs @Golf2Much I didn’t mean to turn this into the injury thread. 🤣 

I’ll probably get my knee replaced, but the ankle is a different matter. It has a cyst that retains fluids and now arthritis. Had 2 surgeries to fix it, but it comes back within a couple of months. An ankle replacement is called a peg. My solution has been to wear hiking boots to play golf that gives me more stability. Doesn’t affect my swing on level lies. That’s also a key to when I have good scoring days. If I miss to a level spot I can get up and down. If I miss to a severe slope, well that usually doesn’t turn out too great. 

But no golf today. Other than some at home practice. It’s cart path only and a tournament. I decided I didn’t want to spend an extra hundred dollars to walk in the mud. 

I think the lesson learned from our experiences is that we face our barriers (be them physical, mental or other) head on, adapt to overcome the "new normal" and continue to play the game we love.  That's perseverance, dedication and drive all wrapped into one!

Date 12/16/2023
Course Name St. Clair Shores Golf Club
Gross Score 74
Course Handicap 4
Gross Strokes over/under par 4
Net Score to Par 0
Net Score 70
Net Birdies or better 4
Longest Drive 244
SIM Round?

Was able to get out and played with 2 of our regular group at St. Clair Shores Golf Club, not too far from home.

It is a city owned municipal course that is always in good condition, just not a real long course.

Plays about 6000 yards, and a Par 70 with 2 par 5's, 4 par 3's, and 12 par 4's. The par 5's average a little over 500 yards, the par 3's all were 175 - 186 yards, and the par 4's average about 365 yards.

Hit 14 of 14 fairways, but a big disclosure is I only hit driver off the tee on 4 holes total. Mostly used 3 wood, or 19 degree utility to keep it in play.

Only missed 4 greens and ended up with a 74 with 35 putts.

Weather was cloudy, cool, about 40 when we started, warmed up to 49 in the afternoon, but wind also increased as the day moved along.

Very happy to be able to get out after only being able to practice at the range the past month, but still seem to have kept almost all of the good parts of my game intact.

Driver & Fairway: :titleist-small: Titleist TSR3 10 degree - :Fuji: Ventus TR Blue & :titleist-small: TSR3 15 - :projectx: Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 

Hybrid: :callaway-small: Callaway Apex UW 19 - :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons: :titleist-small: Titleist T200 3G (4) & T150 - (5-G) - :projectx: Project X LZ 

Wedges: :vokey-small: Vokey SM8 54, and 58

Putter: :cameron-small: Cameron Phantom X 7

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 & :maxfli: Maxfli Tour

Date 12/17/2023
Course Name Tanah Merah Country Club - Garden
Gross Score 85
Course Handicap 15
Gross Strokes over/under par 14
Net Score to Par -1
Net Score 70
Net Birdies or better 6
Longest Drive 267
SIM Round?

It's been monsoon season here in Southeast Asia as the winds start blowing from the northeast and bring torrential rains, especially in the afternoon. My last 5 rounds were all cut short by t-storms, and I was lamenting that I had no more rounds left for 2023... Until my friend called to see if could complete a foursome today. 👏

I wasn't optimistic about my 12:55 tee time, but the sun was shining when we teed off. Storm clouds gathered as we putted out the 8th green, but other than a drop or two, the rain stayed away. My front 9 wasn't great, but I was playing bogey golf despite a collapse on 6 that put a triple on the card.

Making the turn at 45, I figured I would just enjoy the rest of the afternoon and my last round of the year. Despite the strong headwinds on most holes on the back, the big stick managed to behave and I was still poking them 230-240yds into the fairway (thanks Stack!).

After bogeying the 18th, I tallied 5 over on the back, helping me match my best on this course and lowest differential for the year! Really happy with how things came together after a year of deliberate training. And honestly, posting regularly to VCT also helped with the mental game and trying to share a good score with all y'all every week. So thanks to all of you!

Looking forward to 2024, just want to publicly state my goals:

1. Get another 10yds off the tee.
  2. Improve my Strokes Gained (Approach) from -4.5 to -2.0.
  3. Break 80 at least once.
  4. Keep scores in the low 80s.
  5. Drop to a 10 handicap.

Wishing everyone a wonderful holiday season and a happy new year! 🎄🍾

Screenshot_20231217_213801_Garmin Golf.jpg

"Just hit it down the middle. It's wide open there." - Coach Haberli // A Grind BX-D 9.5° | A Grind FW DST 14° | A Grind BX-H 2H (17°) | A Grind Utility Proto 3H (19.5°) | A Grind+ Utility 4H (23°) | :KZG: Tri-Tour Forged Irons 6-9 | :vokey-small: 46°, 50°, 55°, 60° | :cameron-small: Studio Design 1 | :srixon-small: XV-Star🔹 | :wilson-small: Triad | Garmin CT10 | Garmin Approach S70 | Eenour U1000 Pro rangefinder

Date 12/17/2023
Course Name Snowflake Municipal
Gross Score 75
Course Handicap 1
Gross Strokes over/under par 3
Net Score to Par 2
Net Score 74
Net Birdies or better 7
Longest Drive 362
SIM Round?

Played a fantastic round yesterday (12/16). I feel like the swing is coming a long way. I had a few problem holes but I am proud of myself for not letting them get out of hand (No doubles!). I had some amazing shots. My favorite was on the front nine hole 9 is a long par five that you can hit over water and cut the corner. I hit a 339-yard drive and had 190 to the pin. I pured an 8 iron to about 15 feet, missed the eagle, and tapped in for birdie it was awesome. Hole 6 on the back nine is a par 5 and I hit the most pure towering drive I have ever hit (362 yards!), I love the new Ventus TR Blue!

DRIVER :titleist-small: TSR3 9* Ventus TR Blue TX 70g,

3 WOOD:titleist-small: TSR3 15* Ventus TR Red TX 80g,

5 WOOD :titleist-small: TSR3 18* Ventus Blue VC TX 90g

IRONS:srixon-small: ZX7 MKII (5, 6, & 7), Z Forged (8, 9, &PW)

WEDGES:vokey-small: SM9 50* D Grind, 54* D Grind, & 60* M Grind

PUTTER:taylormade-small: Spider Tour 36", SuperStroke ZENERGY XL TOUR 3.0+ w/50g counterbalance weight

BALL - Maxfli Tour X, :taylormade-small: TP5x, & :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (Testing)

Home Course: Snowflake Municipal 

Lobo.jpg

Date 12/17/2023
Course Name Hillwood Country Club
Gross Score 81
Course Handicap 5
Net Score to Par 4
Net Score 76
Net Birdies or better 4
Longest Drive 306
SIM Round?

Up and down round, highs and lows.

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

Date 12/17/2023
Gross Score 74
Course Handicap 8
Gross Strokes over/under par 2
Net Score to Par -6
Net Score 66
Net Birdies or better 9
Longest Drive 241
SIM Round?

The handicap in dropping, but so are the putts. It was a beautiful day with very little wind consequently there were a lot of birdies. We had 13 guys play in our group and there were 39 birdies, 2 eagles and 2 net eagles. 

I burned the lip 4 times with putts and chips.  We also had a net 66 and 2 net 67’s today, but an 89 and a 95 in the group also. 

It looks like I’ll be a 7 next time I post  

IMG_1636.jpeg.55dd319be10bd0b0ca9df0e81b5c9c9d.jpeg
I thought I would add my strokes gained numbers. I traded my TM Hi Toe 58° for a Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 58° today. The logic was that the different sole would be better in the muddy conditions. It was very awesome, but I didn’t practice any bunker shots with it and consequently I cost myself a stroke there on short game. And another with a poor chip on 9 that almost rolled back into the hazard that would have been two drops. I also made a poor decision on 6 that cost me a stroke. In total I made just 3 bad swings all day. 

IMG_1635.jpeg.807d40253ba911fd634ff4218b96cdd3.jpeg

Date 12/17/2023
Course Name Fort Walton Beach - The Pines
Gross Score 79
Course Handicap 5
Gross Strokes over/under par 7
Net Score to Par 2
Net Score 74
Net Birdies or better 5
Longest Drive 0
SIM Round?

Driver 1:  :taylormade-small: Stealth 12 degree - Ventus Red 5-S 

Driver 2: :taylormade-small: 300 Mini Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 60G Stiff (tipped to 44.5inch)

3 Wood 2: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max Fujikura Pro 65-S (higher ball flight)

5 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Ventus Black 6-S

9 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Ventus Red 5-R

Irons: :cobra-small: King Tour 2023 - Fujikura Pro 95 Stiff - 6-9 - Fitted 

Wedges: :titleist-small: SM9 - 45-10F, 48-10F, 54-12-D, 58-12D (Testing Callaway Jaws 58-12-W)

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S - Fitted 

Balls :odin: - X1

Date 12/17/2023
Course Name Surrey Hills
Gross Score 77
Course Handicap 4
Gross Strokes over/under par 6
Net Score to Par 2
Net Score 73
Net Birdies or better 5
Longest Drive 269
SIM Round?

Not a great round but not a bad round either. Weather was great and I had fun though. 

Drives were not rolling out much today but other than that, it was a decent round. Any trouble I found myself in, I was usually able to salvage the hole. My putting was by far my best part of the round. There were a number of long (20-30ft) putts that I somehow got to fall in.

image.png.2ec59670ca113d4767d35db7a2702256.png

• Callaway Rouge ST Max LS 9* Driver w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft 
  • Callaway Rouge ST Max 3W w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft 
  • Callaway Mavrik 4Hy
  • Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-AW
  • TaylorMade Hi-Toe RAW 54-10 & 58-10 
  • L.A.B. MEZZ. 1 w/ ACCRA x L.A.B. Shaft (RIP: TaylorMade TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3)
  • Titleist Pro V1x

Apps/Systems I use:

Tests:

• GolfSpy_BEN unfeatured and unpinned this topic

image.png  Week 37 Final Recap

Week 37 is in the books, with 22 rounds posted to the VCT!

Low Gross & Net Score

image.png   image.png   image.png

By posting an impressive 6 under 66 that is a net 7 under 65, @Javs will carry the black jacket and low gross badges this week. Well done.

Most Net Birdies

image.png   image.png

With 2 rounds posted that contained 9 net birdies, Rover Rick has earned the most NET birdie badge for this week. Nicely played.

Longest Drive

image.png   image.png

A preposterous 362 yard bomb has earned @CB Lobo 4 Life the longest drive badge for the week. That. is. a. Bomb!

Long Drive Honor Roll

@GolfSpy SAM - 339 yards

@Javs - 327 yards

@Javs - 312 yards

@Javs - 306 yards

@vandyland - 306 yards

Low SIM Rounds

@Ben Joest - 72

@Cfhandyman - 76

@tw1ns - 76

Thanks to all who participated this week! Have a great week and be kind to one another.

WITB:

Death, taxes and @Javs outdriving me by +/- 25 yards. And while shooting a GROSS 66. Maybe I should take up bocce ball, haha. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

362 just made me spit my coffee out of my mouth. If we were playing in real life, and I cut the corner and then YOU cut the corner but 30+ yards in front of me, there's only one reasonable response: I would murder you. But with your clubs, because I like mine too much 😉

DAMMIT! lol. 

Great week all, and let's keep remembering how lucky we are to be able to play at all this time of year.  

That was my last round before January, so glad it was a pretty good one.  I'll look forward to joining the conversation in a few weeks from Palm Springs, baby!

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

Date 12/17/2023
Course Name WINSTAR GOLF COURSE- SCISSORTAIL
Gross Score 82
Course Handicap 10
Gross Strokes over/under par 10
Net Score to Par 0
Net Score 72
Net Birdies or better 8
Longest Drive 249
SIM Round?

Driver:   TaylorMade Qi10 MAX - 8.5 with Fujikura Speeder NX TCS 50 (Terra Forza White Shaft Testing 2024)
3 -Wood Sub70 949x 3 Wood 15 with Hrdz RDX Black Stiff
5-Wood:  Sub70 949x 5 Wood with Hrdz RDX Black stiff
4-Hybrid: Sub70 949x 4 Hybrid with Project X 5.5 Hybrid Stiff
Irons: Mizuno Pro 225 - 6-PW , w/Nippon Modus 105 Stiff
Wedges: Sub70 TAIII w/Nippon Modus 105 Stiff - 50 ,56, 60
Putter: L.A.B Mezz1, 34 in
Balls: MaxFli Tour X, TaylorMade Tour Response, TaylorMade TPx 
GPS:   Shot Scope X5 with Tracking

TESTED: SUB70 949X 5 Wood
TESTED: NIPPO N.S. Regio Formula MB+ 65 Stiff.
TESTED: SkyCaddie LX5 GPS Watch
TESTED: Bag Boy ZFT Bag
TESTING: Terra Forza Shaft  -