Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT 10.5C Center Shaft Putter

BigMacQue

I wanted a new putter, as I purchased my last putter in 1977 and thought it was about time to try a new one.  My old putter was a blade, made by H&B, with no particular benefits milled into the club: no line, no milling on the face, just a shaft, a grip and a blade down there at my feet.  By 2021it was time to find something new and retire the old stick.

I’ve been used to shopping in used club havens for some time, so I picked up some mallets, some blades and a few other putters that defy description, and spent about $50 on six putter styles.  At that point I wasn’t looking for a specific putter, just trying shapes and styles to see if one appealed to me more than others.  

I found a mallet shaped club with a center shaft, and after a few hours and over the course of a few days on the putting green with the collection of putters, I decided I liked the mallet and the center shaft.  

So the search was on; a mallet shaped, center shaft putter was the goal.  I’m sure you’re all aware of this: there are not many choices for that style of putter.

The Cleveland showed up at the local Dick’s sporting goods, so I had a chance to hit it a little bit, alongside a few others that they were offering at the time.  It felt good, I seemed to hit it well, and for $150 it looked like a good enough solution.

NOTE: the newest version of the 10.5C is listed as starting at $199.  At the time of this writing, the club has been in use close to 3 years.

In a few short words: for me, it is exactly that - a good solution.

I bought a 35 inch putter, configured right out of the box as a standard Cleveland configuration.  This includes the oversized grip that most makers are putting on putters these days.

The Cleveland website shows that this putter is made for a straight stroke type and that does not really describe my stroke; I have a slight arc when I swing the putter.   If there’s a mismatch in my stroke to the design of the putter, I haven’t found it yet.  The only inconsistencies in my putting with this club come from me, not from the club itself.

I feel like the center shaft, which hits the club right at the alignment line on the head of the club, gives me a better visual for where to strike the ball.  I can honestly say I have not missed the sweet spot of the club head of this putter any more than a handful of times over the course of the three years that I’ve used this to putt.  

The Soft in the name implies a soft feel, but it stands for Speed Optimized Face Technology.  The milling on the face of the putter is specific, branching out from the center of the face to the edges (interestingly, Cleveland Zip Core wedges also offer milingl across the entire face of the club), and the effect on the ball is noticeable.  There is no wavering or wobble on the ball when I strike it; it just goes right in the direction I aim.  

The grip is an oversized grip, one of the more popular additions to most putters these days.  It’s honestly not remarkable, relative to any other putter makers, but it is solid and durable.  I play about 70 to 90 rounds a year, so this putter has been used in well over 200 rounds since I bought it and the grip shows no glaring signs of wear.  

If there is one potential drawback to the Cleveland line of putters, it will eventually be in the shaft.  While steel is steel, quality of the steel and the finish of the product differs greatly with cost.  I’m starting to see some pitting on my shaft, very light, very small, but pitting none the less - something I’ve not yet seen on the H&B that I bought back in 1977.  

My putting average is below 2.0, and I am confident of my putting.  I can aim small, miss small and routinely make putts from 12 feet and in.  The putter strikes the ball solidly, drives the ball in the direction it’s been aimed, and in the follow through I feel like I can feel the push of the club head on the ball.  The only days my putting is off, it’s off because I’m just not putting well.  It has nothing to do with the club.

I’d buy another one of these tomorrow, I like it that much.

hb_align.jpg

hb_bottom.jpg

hb_cover.jpg

hb_face.jpg

hb_grip.jpg

hb_propped.jpg

BigMacQue
Titleist Driver and Hybrid
Titleist T400 Irons, 5-GW
Vokey Wedges, 50 and 56
Cleveland Launcher 3 Wood and Cleveland 10.5C HB Soft Putter
Titleist Tour Soft

Agree that Cleveland putters are overlooked. Worrisome about the shaft .. but that can be changed out. Nice you found one that works well for you!! 👍

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

25 minutes ago, BigMacQue said:

I wanted a new putter, as I purchased my last putter in 1977 and thought it was about time to try a new one.  My old putter was a blade, made by H&B, with no particular benefits milled into the club: no line, no milling on the face, just a shaft, a grip and a blade down there at my feet.  By 2021it was time to find something new and retire the old stick.

I’ve been used to shopping in used club havens for some time, so I picked up some mallets, some blades and a few other putters that defy description, and spent about $50 on six putter styles.  At that point I wasn’t looking for a specific putter, just trying shapes and styles to see if one appealed to me more than others.  

I found a mallet shaped club with a center shaft, and after a few hours and over the course of a few days on the putting green with the collection of putters, I decided I liked the mallet and the center shaft.  

So the search was on; a mallet shaped, center shaft putter was the goal.  I’m sure you’re all aware of this: there are not many choices for that style of putter.

The Cleveland showed up at the local Dick’s sporting goods, so I had a chance to hit it a little bit, alongside a few others that they were offering at the time.  It felt good, I seemed to hit it well, and for $150 it looked like a good enough solution.

NOTE: the newest version of the 10.5C is listed as starting at $199.  At the time of this writing, the club has been in use close to 3 years.

In a few short words: for me, it is exactly that - a good solution.

I bought a 35 inch putter, configured right out of the box as a standard Cleveland configuration.  This includes the oversized grip that most makers are putting on putters these days.

The Cleveland website shows that this putter is made for a straight stroke type and that does not really describe my stroke; I have a slight arc when I swing the putter.   If there’s a mismatch in my stroke to the design of the putter, I haven’t found it yet.  The only inconsistencies in my putting with this club come from me, not from the club itself.

I feel like the center shaft, which hits the club right at the alignment line on the head of the club, gives me a better visual for where to strike the ball.  I can honestly say I have not missed the sweet spot of the club head of this putter any more than a handful of times over the course of the three years that I’ve used this to putt.  

The Soft in the name implies a soft feel, but it stands for Speed Optimized Face Technology.  The milling on the face of the putter is specific, branching out from the center of the face to the edges (interestingly, Cleveland Zip Core wedges also offer milingl across the entire face of the club), and the effect on the ball is noticeable.  There is no wavering or wobble on the ball when I strike it; it just goes right in the direction I aim.  

The grip is an oversized grip, one of the more popular additions to most putters these days.  It’s honestly not remarkable, relative to any other putter makers, but it is solid and durable.  I play about 70 to 90 rounds a year, so this putter has been used in well over 200 rounds since I bought it and the grip shows no glaring signs of wear.  

If there is one potential drawback to the Cleveland line of putters, it will eventually be in the shaft.  While steel is steel, quality of the steel and the finish of the product differs greatly with cost.  I’m starting to see some pitting on my shaft, very light, very small, but pitting none the less - something I’ve not yet seen on the H&B that I bought back in 1977.  

My putting average is below 2.0, and I am confident of my putting.  I can aim small, miss small and routinely make putts from 12 feet and in.  The putter strikes the ball solidly, drives the ball in the direction it’s been aimed, and in the follow through I feel like I can feel the push of the club head on the ball.  The only days my putting is off, it’s off because I’m just not putting well.  It has nothing to do with the club.

I’d buy another one of these tomorrow, I like it that much.

hb_align.jpg

hb_bottom.jpg

hb_cover.jpg

hb_face.jpg

hb_grip.jpg

hb_propped.jpg

Great review here, I own the HB Soft 14 and I love the feel of the milling contacting with the ball. I have only had the putter a month now so the shaft issues are noted. Thanks!

WITB

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Qi10 Max

Hybrid: 🐏 FX Max 5h

5i-9i: 🐏 FX Max 10

Wedges: :titleist-small: 48°, 52°, 56°

Putter:  :cleveland-small: HB Soft 14

Ball: :odin:

• 3 months later...

I purchased the same putter you did about a year ago, for $150 at the PGA Superstore near my house. I've used a center shaft putter for about 20 years, it's a Never Compromise with removeable weights, mallet style. So the center shaft has always caught my eye. I saw this Cleveland putter and just wanted a new toy and backup putter, also one I can easily scoop my ball up with. Your headcover is showing a lot of wear, you've been getting out! I immediately liked this putter, but ultimately went back to my Never Compromise and realized it's due to the weight. I had installed the heaviest weights on that putter, and after 20 yrs I just got used to it. The Cleveland felt light to me, and harder to stay on path. The face was very soft so I adjusted and hit it about 5% harder. Great little putter though and I'll be sure to bring it out in the future. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus, 9* turned 9.75*, Stiff, Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 60g, Cut 1" Short

Hybrid: :adams-small: Pro 2 Hybrid 18* Aldila Tour 75g Stiff 

Driving Iron: Akira Mi118 Prototype Utility 2 Iron

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790, 4-GW Dynamic Gold, Stiff

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore MID 56* & 60*, Bent 2* upright

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: GM2 Exchange 2 Mallet, Center Shaft, Super Stroke 2.0

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5

Technology: Blue Tees Golf Series 3 Max Rangefinder

Bag: :sunmountain: Boom 14-Way Cart Bag