Testers Wanted: Vortex Rangefinders ×

What Golf Ball Are You Playing In 2024?

1 hour ago, MattWillGolf said:

I am playing Snell MTB Prime at the moment which appeared in my stocking at Christmas. I just ordered 2 dozen Oncore Elxir balls. 

The new 2024 Snell Prime 2.0, 3.0 and 4.0 balls are scheduled to begin shipping this week, although the 4.0 may be delayed by a couple of weeks.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

On 4/9/2024 at 6:58 PM, CFreddie said:

Given your affinity to Bridgestones, any thoughts on the Mindset version?  I'm definitely more curious after reading some of the initial reviews here, but wanted to get your take as well.

I was invited to the Bridgestone facility last summer to do a test with these balls.  Interestingly I made more of the putts from 20 and 30 feet than I did from 10 feet.  I like having a line on my ball and aligning it with my intended line.   I did not either like nor dislike it on the full shot swings, I am a player that looks in front of the ball, not at it.   

Driver -  :callaway-small:   Rogue ST Max
Woods - :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max  3, 5 & 7 Woods
Irons  -   :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max                                                                                                                                                                                       

Wedges - :cleveland-small:  Zipcore RTX 6 50°  CBX2   54* & 58*                                                                                                                                               

Putter -  Evnroll   ER2
Rangefinder - :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX-10 Slope
Ball -  :vice: Pro Tour Drip                                                                                                                                                                                           

Bag -  :tour-edge: Xtreme Cart 7.0 Bag Heather/Red/White

I came across a sale at a local Walmart, where they were selling Chrome Soft for $29.99 a dozen, so I bought what they had left. So far they seem OK.

Unfortunately, I showed up to the course this weekend without a single golf ball, as I'd completely forgotten to restock my bag. The course we played at sold only Bridgestone, and I discovered that I really like the B XS balls. So now I'm debating whether I want to continue using the balls I have in stock, or bite the bullet and play the balls I like better and seem to fit my game.

WITB:

Driver - :cobra-small: LTDx 9* w/ Mitsubishi Chemicals Kuro Kage 70g Stiff Shaft

3 Wood - :cobra-small: LTDx 15* w/ Mitsubishi Chemicals Tensei 75g Stiff Shaft

7 Wood -  :callaway-small: Triple🔹20* w/ Project X Denali Black 70g Stiff Shaft

Irons (PW-4 Iron) -  :taylormade-small: P790 w/ Oban 115g X-Stiff Shafts

Wedges (50, 54, 58) - :vokey-small: SM9

Putter - :bettinardi-small: Studio Stock 28 Armlock w/ Super Stroke Grip

I saw this press release this morning; this now makes two tour golfers (one on the PGA Tour and one on the LPGA Tour, namely Lexi Thompson) playing Maxfli Tour / Tour X golf balls --

https://golf.com/gear/golf-balls/ben-griffin-maxfli-golf-ball-deal-tour/?utm_campaign=forecast&utm_source=golfcom&utm_medium=email&utm_content={date(

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

Been playing the Vice Pro drip this year. Moved over from the Pro Plus as I have a bit of a slower swing speed. So far I am enjoying them. The price is right and they hold up very well as well. I just like the feel of them. I played the Volvic vivids before and they just felt too hard. Liking the softer feel of the Vice balls.

WITB - 2024 
Dr, 3W, 3Hyb, 4Hyb -Ping G425
Irons - Mizuno JPX923 Hot Metal
Putter - Odyssey Tri Force 3

My “go to” ball for years has been the ProV1 — mostly because I’d get them for free and it’s also the ball I’ve been hitting in my sim. But I just picked up a sleeve of the Chrome TourX to give a spin. The Tour Response is also on my radar.

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black

Titleist Trufeel for me- very reasonable to buy and still feels like a premium ball around and on the green

TaylorMade Burner Driver | Ping G10 4W | Cobra Fly-Z Hybrid | JPX-919 irons | Vokey SM7 wedges (54/58) | Ping Sedona i putter | Titleist Trufeel

On 5/1/2024 at 3:26 PM, Hosel_Rockets said:

Unfortunately, I showed up to the course this weekend without a single golf ball, as I'd completely forgotten to restock my bag. The course we played at sold only Bridgestone, and I discovered that I really like the B XS balls. So now I'm debating whether I want to continue using the balls I have in stock, or bite the bullet and play the balls I like better and seem to fit my game.

I’m not a ball expert by any means but I thought the Chrome Soft was for lower swing speed players and the BXS for higher. Personally, I’d keep using the BXS until I lose them and then decide

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black

I'm just now venturing into the world of one kind of ball only. Up until this month actually, I'd just buy used ones on ebay. But, I've tried the new speedsoft from Taylormade and so far I love it. They bill it as the TP5X little brother with essentially the same core but a bit softer. I will say this, for around $2/ball it performs exceptionally well. It feels like cutting through warm butter of off the face. I can't speak to performance numbers because I haven't put it through the sim. But, it flies great and checks up fine on the greens. So, I may stick with it for a while. 

Driver - Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 9 degree @ 44.5"

3 wood - Cobra LTDx max 

Taylormade sim 4hybrid through PW

Mizuno S22 wedges - 50, 54 and 58

Putter - Odyssey white hot OG 1

Sticking with the Vice Pro this year, been my ball the past two seasons. Sam's Club 24pack for $50.
I like the price, I like the distance, I like the feel.

- toodles

• Driver: Stealth 2 
  • 3 Wood: Stealth 2
  • 4 Hybrid: Stealth 2
  • 5-GW: PXG 0311P Gen 4
  • SW & LW: TaylorMade Hi-Toe 3
  • Putter: Evnroll ER2B

I played chromes soft x and x lsx Last season. This season i tested both the  bridgstone tour b rxs and the new calaway erc soft fade. Played a round with each and i really like thw new erc soft. They have a compressionnof around 70, they are soft enough buy not to soft and i am gettting very good distance off tee and qith irons. I dont think green side spin is all that good, but i mostly chip or lob when around green, so jury still out on spin, i am also working in some new wedges and gapping issues. . I love the new fade 360 red and blue pattern for a few reasons.  There is something very satifiying to see the ball track true across green. Also for some reason those balls are really easy to find.  I have played too skins rounds qith out losing a ball.  I lost two in a practice round yesterday, buts due to massive hook sending balls so deep into woods I wasn't even going to look. 

Cbfodalo

Mizuno fan boy. 

Driver Mizuno st-z 220

Mavrik sz 3 wood

Jpx flihi  4 5hy

Jpx921 forged 5-gw

T22 55/9, 60/6

I’m a huge fan of the Maxfli Tour balls as I was selected as a tester this year and started gaming them late last season. Incredible value and performs as well as those costing almost double the price!

:callaway-small: Jaws 58 wedge

:callaway-small:Paradym 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, P, AW, GW

:callaway-small: Paradym 3wood, 5wood, 7wood and Driver

:odyssey-small: White hot OG Seven putter

At my skill level I don’t think the ball makes a huge difference, but I tend to gravitate toward those with better reviews for production QC. I play a wide variety, but generally prefer brightly colored vice pro/pro soft, prov-1, tp5x, or any Bridgestones I stumble across. 

Callaway apex 21 dcb irons

Paradym driver & 6 hybrid / stealth2 4 hybrid

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.0 putter 

Pulled the trigger and picked up a dozen yellow Chrome Tours.
As a habitual frugal golfer, the price point did cause some consternation.  For some reason I have 1990s prices stuck in my head.
My concession is to play the Chrome Tour at league, if it disappears in the round, I'll finish the round with a lower cost option.

#TalesFromTheCheap

Driver/3H :callaway-small: Mavrik 22
5H/SW: :callaway-small:Edge 
5-PW: :macgregor-small: MT-86 OS
56/60: Kirkland Signature 
Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot Pro

Old joke about Ben Hogan, notably tight with money, goes like this   What does Hogan always say at the first hole?  "Where's the ball washer?"

Drv: PXG 0211 10.5 deg, Evnflo Riptide CB 40 gram A flex; and 2004 Callaway 454 Ti 10 deg on RCH 65 regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram A flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC Fli-Hi 3i 18 degree, Recoil 95 reg flex.

4 iron:  GFF Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

5 Hybrid: Mizuno 2017 version JPX Fli-Hi wave tech, Recoil ESX 460 reg flex.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil Smacwrap ES 760, reg flex.

Wedges: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5; Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7; Sand: old 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, heavy sole, Apex shaft.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" brass/bronze. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, Stroke Lab multi material shaft.🙃

2 minutes ago, Donn lost in San Diego said:

Old joke about Ben Hogan, notably tight with money, goes like this   What does Hogan always say at the first hole?  "Where's the ball washer?"

That’s a good one, but back in their day they didn’t make much. Plus, they had to work as golf professionals at their home course or other jobs in the off season. 

Play like a champion today!

Posted (edited)

Titleist AVX. These have been very nice and provide consistent predictable results   

Edited by Kschicky
Misspelled word

Ken Schickman, MBA

www.thryvflorida.com

I usually play with Maxfli tour. But I have so many boxes of golfballs I figured I better start using them. Right now I have using Bridgestone  Bx. I like it alot. Feels great. Goes far & spin good.  It's  not 2024  golfballs. I still have to try them out. 

Just played with the new TP5x and I gotta say I was very impressed. The old TP5x felt like hitting a rock and while hard these were nowhere near as hard as before, they felt really good and definitely went further. The spin was probably the most pleasant surprise, it took a few holes to get used to but they are very spinny off the wedges. I liked them so much I picked up another box! 

Seth

Driver: Cobra Darkspeed X w/ Nemesys Shaft 55 

2 Wood: Taylormade BRNR Mini Driver 13.5

7 Wood: Callaway AI Smoke Triple Diamond

Irons: Taylormade P7 UDI 2 Iron w/ KBS PGI 70

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 4-G w/ UST Dart V shafts 

Wedges: Taylormade Hi-toe 54 and 58

Putter: Scotty Cameron Squareback Long Design

Ball: Vice Pro/ TP5x Pix

I have been playing a Vice Pro Plus most of the last year but I wanted to change things up a bit this summer. I want to see how the Maxfli Tour does for me at a similar price point as the VPP as well as throw in the Bridgestone Tour B RX (shout out MGS and Bridgestone for the free box survey!). 

Here are some pics of the alignment marks on each. The Maxfli sure is something lol. I need to get out to do putting practice but the weather is not great this week.

IMG_7571.JPG.c1abb1ad50f050b2ee174766d7b8330f.JPGIMG_7572.JPG.fa9de5e4d76a6644d7c4049eac40372a.JPG

Driver: Ping G425 Max 10.5*

Fairway: Ping G425 Max 16*

Hybrid: Callaway Ai Smoke 4h 21*

Irons: Mizuno JPX923 HM HL 6-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM10 54* 58* 12D

Putter: TaylorMade Spider Tour CB 37 inch

13 hours ago, UncleDanger said:

Long time Titleist Tour Speed player. I'm trying the AVX this year to see if it gives me the same performance I loved with the TS.

I was wondering if we'd hear from anyone coming from the Tour Speed. I hope you like the AVX. I've liked it over the last couple years (old AVX). I hadn't tried a Tour Speed so I couldn't compare.

Driver: ping.png.006bacb76d65413e66b9c8eb1b47f592.png G400 LST 8.5°

3W: cobra2.png.60653951979ca617ca859530a17d0a2d.png King Speedzone

Irons: ping.png.006bacb76d65413e66b9c8eb1b47f592.png i200 (3 thru PW & UW)

Wedge: Ray Cook 60 deg

Putter: Spalding TP Mills 3

Tech: golfshot.png.5c17c64b9425413b3bf24668ce3fa044.png on Apple Watch & phone

Even tho my eyesight is nearly 20/20, and I wear prescription brown tint sunglasses, I am 69 and I have trouble seeing the ball past 180 yards, so the bright green balls like Titleist Velocity and a Vice ball have become important to me.  Better than the yellows pale greens and orange.  I will try the split color balls if urethane.  My game doesn't merit $$$ urethane but I want them to putt, so, working back from putting to the rest of my game, I like urethanes.

And for those who saw my posts on my toe fusion surgery, I am now 10 weeks in.  Total success as far as golf is concerned.  The foot is still healing for walking or running. If you have arthritis, I say, get the surgery if the doctor recommends it.  I now have a new knee and a repaired thumb along with the toe.  100% success.  Nearly 95% as good as new.  Coulda shoulda done sooner.

Drv: PXG 0211 10.5 deg, Evnflo Riptide CB 40 gram A flex; and 2004 Callaway 454 Ti 10 deg on RCH 65 regular flex.

Wedges: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5; Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7; Sand: old 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, heavy sole, Apex shaft.

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, Stroke Lab multi material shaft.🙃

11 minutes ago, Donn lost in San Diego said:

Even tho my eyesight is nearly 20/20, and I wear prescription brown tint sunglasses, I am 69 and I have trouble seeing the ball past 180 yards, so the bright green balls like Titleist Velocity and a Vice ball have become important to me.  Better than the yellows pale greens and orange.  I will try the split color balls if urethane.  My game doesn't merit $$$ urethane but I want them to putt, so, working back from putting to the rest of my game, I like urethanes.

And for those who saw my posts on my toe fusion surgery, I am now 10 weeks in.  Total success as far as golf is concerned.  The foot is still healing for walking or running. If you have arthritis, I say, get the surgery if the doctor recommends it.  I now have a new knee and a repaired thumb along with the toe.  100% success.  Nearly 95% as good as new.  Coulda shoulda done sooner.

Coming off back fusion in late January, jury still out on how much it worked, my right foot still not functioning 100% post surgery, but seems to be getting better. 

Took my first full swings yesterday, I hit a small bucket of balls with some wedges and a hybrid, so far so good back feels OK today and not really even stiff. 

21 minutes ago, hoppman said:

Coming off back fusion in late January, jury still out on how much it worked, my right foot still not functioning 100% post surgery, but seems to be getting better. 

Took my first full swings yesterday, I hit a small bucket of balls with some wedges and a hybrid, so far so good back feels OK today and not really even stiff. 

You had spinal fusion?  which bones?  Best wishes, of course.  Spine is longer to heal.  I have pretty severe spine curve, both scoliosis and kyphosis, which is a forward pushed neck.  My right shoulder was 2 inches higher until a deep tissue guy loosened it and dropped it closer to level.  My head is a good 2 or 3 inches forward, which makes my posture at address difficult.  I have to consciously work to place my head and shoulders in the same position for every shot.  For most it is an automatic thing.

2 hours ago, Donn lost in San Diego said:

You had spinal fusion?  which bones?  Best wishes, of course.  Spine is longer to heal.  I have pretty severe spine curve, both scoliosis and kyphosis, which is a forward pushed neck.  My right shoulder was 2 inches higher until a deep tissue guy loosened it and dropped it closer to level.  My head is a good 2 or 3 inches forward, which makes my posture at address difficult.  I have to consciously work to place my head and shoulders in the same position for every shot.  For most it is an automatic thing.

L5 S1, I have some scoliosis going on but this was to fix my Sciatica issue causing sharp pains in my legs and glute area. I have bad posture, since I was a kid, so my golf posture has never been great. 

Back still gets a little stiff when chipping and putting, switched to a 38" putter, hopefully short term so I can go back to my 35" gamer. Surprisingly, the full swings didn't bother me much, I just have a hard time getting down to the ball when not teed up. Playing 9 next Monday then I will see where I am at. According to my Neuro, the right foot issue could be related to the nerve getting stretched during the fusion. He said it will get better, worse and, or stay the same. 🙄 But I won't know for about 15 months. 

Ever since I took up golf, I changed ball models when my present ball went out of production.

I remember playing the original 336 dimple Spalding Top Flite for almost ever.
Right now I play the Pro V1x. 
When Acushnet or whoever stops making it, I'll try something else.

I'm not suggesting that ball models don't matter.
I just don't want to think about them on top of everything else.

tba

I am using Pro V1’s because of the mid launch and great spin around the greens. Super comfortable because of the soft feel. Suits my game well. 

Driver: Tour Edge C721 9 degree w/ Hzrdus RDX Smoke

3 wood: Tour edge C721 13.5 degree w/ Fujikura Ventus 6S 

Hybrid: Tour Edge C721 19 degree w/ Aldila Rogue Black TX 

Irons: 4-AW Titleist AP2 Forged 714 w/ Dynamic Gold S300

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54 degree w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner Shaft, Cleveland CBX Full Face 60 degree with Dynamic Gold Spinner Shaft

Putter: Cleveland HB Soft #11 mallet putter w/ Super Stroke Claw 1.0 grip

I am trying to find a tour level ball that doesn't break the bank. I am a student so I'm balling on a budget. I've been playing Bridgestone tour x ball and i love the feel and distance it gives me. I would love to find a cheaper option. Has anyone tried the Maxfli tour X ball? It looks to be a little cheaper than the Bridgestone ball just want to know if it also preforms close to if not better.

8 hours ago, leichliter_jake said:

I am trying to find a tour level ball that doesn't break the bank. I am a student so I'm balling on a budget. I've been playing Bridgestone tour x ball and i love the feel and distance it gives me. I would love to find a cheaper option. Has anyone tried the Maxfli tour X ball? It looks to be a little cheaper than the Bridgestone ball just want to know if it also preforms close to if not better.

I made that exact switch. I cannot tell any preceptible difference, but I am also a very low spin player, with a lousy sense of "feel".

Moose, my cat, is Siamese