Home Garage Hitting Bay - DIY

Silver Fawkes

That’s fantastic.  Nice work!

Working at getting better ... and very slowly getting there.

•  :callaway-small: Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 8* (:accra:  Shogun Blue M0 Otto-Phlex)
  •  :taylormade-small: Brnr Mini driver 13.5* (:accra: FX 3.0 140 M1 Otto-Phlex)
  • :callaway-small: Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids
  •  Maltby TS3 (4-8)/TS4 (9-PW)/TS1 (GW) (shafts:  :projectx: LZ 6.0)
  • :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore 53*, and 58* mid wedges (:projectx: wedge shafts 6.5)
  • :L.A.B.: DF 2.1 (BTG shaft)
  • :redrooster: Gloves

My Official 2024 TaylorMade Qi10 Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62804-taylormade-qi10-drivers-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1014200

My Official 2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042

Nice breakdown of costs and parts.  Thank you!

-XY

:redrooster: Sussex and Rain Rooster
:titleist-small: ProV1X
:taylormade-small: QI10 LS
:callaway-small: Epic Flash 3-wood
:taylormade-small: 4H Stealth 2, stiff
:ping-small: i525, 6 - W, 1 degree flat, ProjectX 5.5 110 g shafts
:vokey-small: SM10 52, 56, 60
:L.A.B.: DF3 Broomstick
:ping-small: Ping Pioneer Cart Bag
MGI electric cart

Love the breakdown of the parts used on this build. I have been using a hitting mat, net, and just added the Skytrak plus monitor. Want to do a hitting screen/bay with a projector next and your article has been super helpful for doing this on a budget. 

• 3 weeks later...

Have you had any issues with balls hitting your frame and either bounce back or damaging the frame? 

I recently got back into golf by building a simulator bay in my basement. I have kids using it so opted to spend a little more and get something that seemed safer from ricochet. 

I went with the Carl's Place DIY custom measured to my available space. I have had a few worm burners bounce back off the bottom wire. Even with there not being any pipe down there, the ball can come back pretty fast. My bigger worry from a safety standpoint is a ricochet off the side pipes in the front of the bay. I tried multiple things and the best I could come up with was using a small amount of memory foam and then covering it with pipe insulation to hold it in place. So far no one has been hit by a ricochet, but with kids I feel I can't be too careful. 

Like you, I opted for the Garmin R10. It is a great device, and paired with GS Pro it worked very well. GS Pro is fantastic, especially with kids. I'll probably make a separate write up with that at some point as most people are probably unaware of the amazing games and fictional courses, in addition to the real courses. 

I tried to integrate the camera based putting which was super fun when it worked, but had misreads more often than not. 

I also was starting to get more concerned that side spin wasn't as accurate as I'd like. I seemed to develop a pretty bad hook on my driver that the Garmin would sometimes read as a small draw. 

I've since splurged and went with a Foresight Gc3, as it seems these units are the "gold standard" for ball data accuracy. It documents my hook drives painfully accurately. And putting actually works very well. 

My biggest challenge now is keeping my body in shape to handle all the swings I'm taking. 

Screenshot_20240314_133822_Photos.jpg

Rick

Driver: Callaway Ai Smoke TD 10.5 Denali Black 60 Stiff
3 Wood:  Cobra Aerojet 15 Kai'li Blue 60 Stiff
3 Hybrid:  Cobra Aerojet 19 KBS PGI 85 Stiff
Irons 5-Gap:  Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, Recoil SW 780 Stiff
SW:  Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 56/11
Putter:  Odyssey 2 Ball