2024 PGA Contest by MyClubFitter and My Golf Spy ×

Edel Array Putters . 2024 Forum Review

Message added by MGS-Forum-Mod,

1 minute ago, cnosil said:

If you were fit to a specific alignment system and it helped you aim better, how can it probably be personal preference?   Kind of contradicts itself??

Your eyesight adapts to what you works for you , that’s why I called it personal choice, some people need no guidelines , some dots  or one dot while others want more but it’s what you feel works for you , don’t you think ?

Ping driver 

ping fairway

tour edge irons 

Cleveland wedges

Scotty mallet

2 minutes ago, Woodrow72 said:

Your eyesight adapts to what you works for you , that’s why I called it personal choice, some people need no guidelines , some dots  or one dot while others want more but it’s what you feel works for you , don’t you think ?

So it sounds like you are saying fitting for alignment aids is unnecessary because the player adapts to whatever the alignment aids is.   Basically you just pick what you like and figure out how it works.   

I personally don’t think my eyesight adapts, eyesight is what it is.   My understanding of the way Edel fits is that they test different alignment aids to see what works best for you.   There is no personal preference unless 2 or more provide the exact Same performance.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

12 minutes ago, cnosil said:

If you were fit to a specific alignment system and it helped you aim better, how can it probably be personal preference?   Kind of contradicts itself??

When being fitted they ask you if you like the alignment they put on and your eyes have a certain preference on how you view things , that’s why I said personal preference , then if you’re rolling the putt on line it is determined that’s the right item for you . It’s about what you see and what is comfortable that works but you determine what alignment your eyes like . It’s like target shooting , I know my aim and miss is always high right so I compensate by aiming low left . To me it’s what works and makes me confident standing over the putt . 

Ping driver 

ping fairway

tour edge irons 

Cleveland wedges

Scotty mallet

12 minutes ago, cnosil said:

So it sounds like you are saying fitting for alignment aids is unnecessary because the player adapts to whatever the alignment aids is.   Basically you just pick what you like and figure out how it works.   

I personally don’t think my eyesight adapts, eyesight is what it is.   My understanding of the way Edel fits is that they test different alignment aids to see what works best for you.   There is no personal preference unless 2 or more provide the exact Same performance.   

FWIW, from the Edel website:

"All golfers have an aim bias. Every line and visible attribute of a putter drives one's eyes to a specific location and dictates where a golfer aims their putter. This creates path deviations and face rotation challenges, among other compensations. Solve your aim bias by pairing your Array Putter with your optimal alignment plate."

Personally, and I think where you're going with this, I think Edel's intent with their alignment plates is to give you an alignment that corrects for your bias, not necessarily give you the one that best comports with your bias or feels the best.  

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

7 minutes ago, GolfSpy AFG said:

"All golfers have an aim bias. Every line and visible attribute of a putter drives one's eyes to a specific location and dictates where a golfer aims their putter. This creates path deviations and face rotation challenges, among other compensations. Solve your aim bias by pairing your Array Putter with your optimal alignment plate."

Personally, and I think where you're going with this, I think Edel's intent with their alignment plates is to give you an alignment that corrects for your bias, not necessarily give you the one that best comports with your bias or feels the best.  

Well all I can add is that it does have me aiming more correctly and my misses are much closer than before , so they system works and I support it fully 

Ping driver 

ping fairway

tour edge irons 

Cleveland wedges

Scotty mallet

13 minutes ago, GolfSpy AFG said:

Yes.  Thanks for posting that.  Years ago when I did an Edel fitting the aids were used to try and solve my bias by getting me to aim the putter at the center of the hole.   The head shape and alignment were not personal preferences.   

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

5 hours ago, cnosil said:

Yes.  Thanks for posting that.  Years ago when I did an Edel fitting the aids were used to try and solve my bias by getting me to aim the putter at the center of the hole.   The head shape and alignment were not personal preferences.   

That's how my Edel fitting went about 10 years ago as well.  Technology was a lot less impressive back then though.  My fitter used a dry erase marker on the top of a blank putter head to see which alignment worked best for me.  Ever since then I've tried to find putters with dot alignments versus lines.

Driver: :cobra-small: RADSPEED 10.5°, Project X Even Flow RIPTIDE 60 6.5
Fairway Wood:  :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 16.5°, Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 75 X
3 Hybrid: :cobra-small:F9, LA Golf Tour AXS Red 85 X
4 Iron: Ping G410 Crossover
5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged, KBS Tour Stiff
Wedges: :vokey-small: Jet Black 50°08F, 54°12D, 58°08M, True Temper Dynamic Gold Black S200
Putter:  :odyssey-small: StrokeLab White Hot OG #7, 35", Evnroll Tourtac grip
Putter2: :edel-golf-1: Array F-2

Currently testing the Edel Array putter

40 minutes ago, Bucky CC said:

That's how my Edel fitting went about 10 years ago as well.  Technology was a lot less impressive back then though.  My fitter used a dry erase marker on the top of a blank putter head to see which alignment worked best for me.  Ever since then I've tried to find putters with dot alignments versus lines.

Same,  had a template that they would use to markup the various options.  

Played another 18 with the Array F-2 today.  Didn't convert any birdie putts on the day but I also only had 1 three putt (from a very tricky location).  For the most part it was nice, boring two putt golf.

image.png.38aa7cc6afabf397b0bdf4f94328f4af.png

Fairway Wood:  :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 16.5°, Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 75 X
Wedges: :vokey-small: Jet Black 50°08F, 54°12D, 58°08M, True Temper Dynamic Gold Black S200

15 hours ago, Bucky CC said:

Played another 18 with the Array F-2 today.  Didn't convert any birdie putts on the day but I also only had 1 three putt (from a very tricky location).  For the most part it was nice, boring two putt golf.

image.png.38aa7cc6afabf397b0bdf4f94328f4af.png

How did your SG compare to a normal round? Those numbers look great!

2023 MGS tester: OnCore VERO X1 ball

2024 MGS tester: Edel Array putter

Driver: Callaway Epic Max 9*

3W: Ping G425 max

Irons: Srixon JX5-MKII (5-PW)

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

52* Cleveland RTX Zipcore

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

Putter: Odyssey stroke lab r-ball mallet

30 minutes ago, Prodigal Duffer said:

How did your SG compare to a normal round? Those numbers look great!

Great question!  Stats last night were in the same ballpark as my gamer putter.  I'll have a detailed breakdown in another week or so after some additional testing when I start to write up my final review.

One thing I know for certain; the Array F-2 is a beautiful putter.

thumbnail_IMG_4439.jpg.f588a83da6dce0de7dad3924ddf7b15d.jpg

3 hours ago, Bucky CC said:

Great question!  Stats last night were in the same ballpark as my gamer putter.  I'll have a detailed breakdown in another week or so after some additional testing when I start to write up my final review.

One thing I know for certain; the Array F-2 is a beautiful putter.

thumbnail_IMG_4439.jpg.f588a83da6dce0de7dad3924ddf7b15d.jpg

I would have to agree, they did a really good job with the shaping of the putters.

How do you think the dual finish looks in real life?  Notice any differences under direct sunlight?

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

34 minutes ago, GolfSpy BOS said:

I would have to agree, they did a really good job with the shaping of the putters.

How do you think the dual finish looks in real life?  Notice any differences under direct sunlight?

I like the dual finish look.  Having the wings of the F-2 a different color really draws your eyes toward the alignment plate in the center.  Makes completely sense since they have so many different alignment options to fit most any golfer.

Played in bright, sunny conditions yesterday and it looked great the entire round.  I ran outside just now to take a pic under partly sunny skies.  There's a small amount of glare but nothing that would be distracting at all.

thumbnail_IMG_4442.jpg.04e3bbb1a8294d1fb32df44a5691254a.jpg

So I've only been able to get 3 Stack Putting rounds under my belt with the 3-dot alignment plate changed out for the 3-line.  It's been...interesting.  3 rounds is not enough to be considered statistically significant I would think, but so far...

Stack Putting Update.jpg

The top 3 entries are with the 3-line plate.  As you can see, my first go round was basically in line with the 3 dot.  The next round, however, was the worst I've seen with the Array.  More to follow, but I was a bit surprised to suddenly struggle so mightily with it so quickly.

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

6 hours ago, Bucky CC said:

I like the dual finish look.  Having the wings of the F-2 a different color really draws your eyes toward the alignment plate in the center.  Makes completely sense since they have so many different alignment options to fit most any golfer.

Played in bright, sunny conditions yesterday and it looked great the entire round.  I ran outside just now to take a pic under partly sunny skies.  There's a small amount of glare but nothing that would be distracting at all.

thumbnail_IMG_4442.jpg.04e3bbb1a8294d1fb32df44a5691254a.jpg

I like the dual color, this is a sharp looking putter!

Is there a larger loft than you normal putter and also can you tell if there is a longer skid before the roll is normal?

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

[email protected]

11 hours ago, buckpillar said:

Is there a larger loft than you normal putter and also can you tell if there is a longer skid before the roll is normal?

It's definitely a great looking putter.  No complaints in that department.

Loft should be the same.  Here are the specs of my two putters:

image.png.87272de926fabe95377a96a10837aadd.png

Haven't noticed any skidding issues from either putter.  To me the face of the Array F-2 makes it feel like it has a deadening effect on the ball compared to the white hot OG insert.  I don't know if that's necessarily a bad thing though.  If you were playing on a lightning fast green it would be a huge benefit to make sure you don't blow every putt 15' past the hole (not that I've ever done that 😀).

12 hours ago, buckpillar said:

I have been doing a lot of indoor head-to-head testing for my final review. When I am putting from 15 ft I noticed some skidding from my Bloodline Vale, but none from the Edel F-3. It's very noticeable because I can hear the skidding on my putting turf. The Edel has 1/2 degree more loft. I wouldn't think that would be enough to make a lot of difference, so I'm guessing it has more to do with the milling on the Edel face vs the insert on my Bloodline. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: QI10 Max
Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3HL
Fairway: :ping-small: G425 Max 9 Wood
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: 2020 CLK 5 Hybrid
Hybrid: :PXG: 0317 6 Hybrid

Irons: :srixon-small: ZX4 7-PW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 46° 50° 54° & 58°
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:
 Array F-3 
Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour Yellow

3 hours ago, Bucky CC said:

To me the face of the Array F-2 makes it feel like it has a deadening effect on the ball compared to the white hot OG insert.  I don't know if that's necessarily a bad thing though.  If you were playing on a lightning fast green it would be a huge benefit to make sure you don't blow every putt 15' past the hole (not that I've ever done that 😀).

I have found the same to be true of the blade (gamer is also an Odyssey with insert).

It does not look like I’ll get out to play this weekend because of weather, so took to my practice green. Figured out that I’ve been sitting the putter with the toe too high, made an adjustment, and started rolling them great. 

I don’t think I have the time to re-run my distance/gate testing before final review is due, but I did some gate putting today with my smallest gate, and the results were really good. 

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

Since I played yesterday and putted well on the first nine but faltered on  the second I decided to do a little test today . 
 12 putts from 22 feet slightly side hill ( the putting green has no flat putts ) with about 1/3 cup of break -green speed estimated at 9-9.5 - made 2/12 -Not good though I was unconsciously manipulating the putter for the break . Moved to 11 feet -12 balls , same break etc. - made 3/12 but lipped 3 out , still subconsciously allowing for the break as I would with my previous gamer though trying not to do so . 
 Moved to 5@1/2 feet -12 putts made 7 because I made an effort to push the putter back with my left hand which helped -the alignment is spot on as long as human error doesn’t take over and we all have some human input . I ran out of time but will follow up doing the test again with more conscious effort to not manipulate the stroke and trust the alignACAB368F-E8BB-40FB-80B6-C9D24B752423.jpeg.12f653545fd88ffa43b4ebd078da639f.jpegment 

Edited by Woodrow72

Ping driver 

ping fairway

tour edge irons 

Cleveland wedges

Scotty mallet

We were supposed to get rain today, but it came overnight, so I was able to get in nine holes today. Goal for today (testing wise) was to focus on my lie and try to stop leaving putts shorts. I am pretty sure that my tendency to leave putts short is almost entirely mental.

I had 16 putts over nine holes, with a three putt on the first hole. It was a par 5 and I was on in regulation with this look:

IMG_3511.jpeg.6ec11e4f0ade230e430d9f15975abc9f.jpeg

Slightly downhill, and I left it very short (five or six feet). My second putt was okay speed, but slightly off line, so it went two feet past. I was very disappointed with a three-putt to start my round. Thankfully, that was the worst hole with the putter.

My short game today was good. I put the ball within 3 feet on 4, 6, and 9 for easy one putts. 

For my testing purposes, I define leaving a putt short as 3 feet or more, not something like this:

IMG_3513.jpeg.65118271a35f3da6244734391f16ae7b.jpeg

This was where I left my first putt on two.

The only hole I left a putt short was 7, where I had about 30 feet, which I left about 3 feet short. Again, I think I chickened out on the downhill lie, but I made the second putt.

Putt of the day came on the par 3 eighth:

IMG_3522.jpeg.c80e3418fcd46617cdbda49562c80b94.jpeg

I told myself that I would not leave this one short. I didn’t; I buried it!

Here are my Shot Scope stats:

IMG_3521.png.00fdf7e3c08edc367dab2fd98ada4edb.png IMG_3520.png.dc9bb98b2f9026924b016459a3418188.png

My issues today were of my own making: taking the wrong line or psyching myself out on downhill putts. The ball always went on the line I intended and I felt confident with the putter. As I practice and (hopefully) become a better putter, I expect my stats to drastically improve.

Edited by Prodigal Duffer

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

I had another one of those days yesterday where nothing was falling. I was putting last in a 4-man scramble, so I knew the line for every putt. I was just struggling with pushing and pulling putts. These were not terrible misses mind you, but it was frustrating none the less. 

My round today has been rained out. I'm supposed to play Wednesday and Thursday, hopefully the weather cooperates.

Array F-3 

Quick update on my plans for the rest of the week.  Tonight my son has baseball practice so I have an hour to waste at the nearby golf course.  Hoping to get a little range work in and then head to the practice green with my Array F-2.

Rounds are scheduled for Thursday and Saturday this week weather permitting.

I'll also try for another round of at home indoor testing at some point; though I've noticed my F-2 seems to perform a lot better outdoors on real greens where it really matters.

1 hour ago, Bucky CC said:

Quick update on my plans for the rest of the week.  Tonight my son has baseball practice so I have an hour to waste at the nearby golf course.  Hoping to get a little range work in and then head to the practice green with my Array F-2.

Rounds are scheduled for Thursday and Saturday this week weather permitting.

I'll also try for another round of at home indoor testing at some point; though I've noticed my F-2 seems to perform a lot better outdoors on real greens where it really matters.

I have seen similar results with the F-3. My head-to-head indoor testing was almost a push, but I seem to make more mid range putts than usual with the F-3 when I am on the course.

Array F-3 

Have been traveling and away from the F-1, but can't wait to get home and return to testing.

One question that keeps surfacing for me in my mind as the time for the official review approaches:  how much of the F-1 works for me because of the F-1 itself or because of the fitting? In other words, if I picked up an Odyssey of equal dimensions in terms of weight, toe hang, length, loft, and lie, how would the F-1 compare to THAT putter? Edel really sells the fitting and customization options of the Array line as a means to get you into the ultimate fit, so I'm planning to do a bit of research into how easily I could build something out in other popular lines that would get close to my F-1 spec-wise.

1 hour ago, GolfSpy AFG said:

Have been traveling and away from the F-1, but can't wait to get home and return to testing.

One question that keeps surfacing for me in my mind as the time for the official review approaches:  how much of the F-1 works for me because of the F-1 itself or because of the fitting? In other words, if I picked up an Odyssey of equal dimensions in terms of weight, toe hang, length, loft, and lie, how would the F-1 compare to THAT putter? Edel really sells the fitting and customization options of the Array line as a means to get you into the ultimate fit, so I'm planning to do a bit of research into how easily I could build something out in other popular lines that would get close to my F-1 spec-wise.

I have gotten to the point that I ask myself if I could get better at aiming and starting the ball on the line where I aimed through practice.   How much is the putter and how much is the human factor?  

13 hours ago, GolfSpy AFG said:

I've been asking myself a similar question. My fitting showed that I already had good alignment even with my gamer. The big difference was in the weight.

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

Posted (edited)
On 4/30/2024 at 6:30 PM, GolfSpy AFG said:

12 hours ago, Prodigal Duffer said:

I've been asking myself a similar question. My fitting showed that I already had good alignment even with my gamer. The big difference was in the weight.

This could be true, but with all the options they have could you really find a 1 to 1 comparison? I don't think you can just go off this was the head shape or this was the alignment line that worked for me because if you switch head shape you might need a different alignment line for that. I think that is their differentiator. 

On 4/30/2024 at 8:04 PM, cnosil said:

I have gotten to the point that I ask myself if I could get better at aiming and starting the ball on the line where I aimed through practice.   How much is the putter and how much is the human factor?  

I have always struggled with alignment despite being a pretty good putter. I have always had to use the line on the ball and just use that to convince myself the alignment was correct which didn't alway work and would lead to indecision in the stroke. I was fit into the EAS series last year. It took me a bit because for some reason I was being stubborn and just wanted to try not using the line and was just not used to that. I have gone back to using the line on the ball so I don't have to remember the spot on the green I picked. But now I don't have issues with feeling I am not aimed correct over the ball and lately I have been putting great. 

Edited by ZackS

WITB:

Driver: Titleist TSR3 :titleist-small: with TPT Nitro 15Hi 

5 wood: Calloway Paradym Triple Diamond :callaway-small: with TPT Power 15Lo

Driving Iron: Tour Edge Exotics EXS Ti-Utility :tour-edge:

Hybrid: PXG 0317X Gen2 hybrid :PXG: with TPT Power 15Lo

Irons: Takomo 101T :Takomo: with Nippon Modus 120 shafts :Nippon:

Wedges: Celveland RTX4 50 Degree, Calloway Jaws Raw 58 degree Z grind and 54 degree S grind

Putter: Edel EAS 4.0 :edel-golf-1:

Ball: Srixon Z Star Diamond / Z Star XV :srixon-small:

Official 2024 TPT Shaft Test

Posted (edited)

D338FAB6-4648-49FE-8393-77F712071ACE.jpeg.47806daa8b4191bfa1e58d291c1e14e1.jpegI continue to work with the F-3 , though I have always been considered a decent putter , I also have been streaky . When I’m good the 3-9 foot range always drop but when I’m off they seldom would . With the Edel my confidence of makes from those ranges has increased , uphill, down hill or side hill . We have a plethora of different green conditions here in our  golf courses with speeds changing at times from hole to hole. Yesterday we traveled to a very good course that the greens are huge with severe undulation and speeds of 10+ . The F-3 gave me the confidence to stand over a  4-6 foot downhill putt and stroke it on line into the hole . I struggled with some putts over 70 feet , but the joy of feeling confident on the testing type putt is awesome .I'm convinced the alignment has been improved by the  fitting process . My expectation are  with more repetitions , distance control will improve . 

Edited by Woodrow72

Ping driver 

ping fairway

tour edge irons 

Cleveland wedges

Scotty mallet

Love reading all the reviews.

I might have missed it given how much great info everyone is sharing, but I am wondering about everyone's thoughts on the face milling on the Edel. It looks to be a similar concept to the Evnroll or the Cleveland HB SOFT that I use. Have you found it helpful with speed control or keeping the ball on the start line? These are the claims that Evnroll shares on there site.

Keep up the great testing everyone!

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3