Antigua Golf Apparel

Matt Saternus

Antigua Golf Apparel

My Take:

Antigua is a golf apparel company that I've seen in just about every pro shop I've ever been in, but it's a brand whose identity I've never quite grasped. Some brands are easy to figure out: Puma = orange, Tommy Hilfiger = preppy Americana. After testing some of their apparel, I've decided that Antigua's identity is not so much in the style of their clothes as in the quality and functionality.

Both shirts that I tested were very light and wick moisture very well. The cut is neither super slim nor super baggy, just a nice middle-of-the-road cut that most guys can feel comfortable in. The shorts performed similarly well: very light, a decent cut (though unlike T, I will spare you the pics of my a$), and a quality moisture wicking fabric.

The real standout for me was the jacket. The problem with most jackets is that they're either too warm or not warm enough. This jacket from Antigua hits that "just right" spot with a light lining and excellent ventilation. It also moves well and doesn't hinder your swing. This jacket has immediately grabbed the #1 spot in my golf rotation, and this is coming from a man with many many jackets.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised by the Antigua apparel that I tested. With so many apparel companies trying so hard to make you an obvious walking billboard, it's nice to see a company that lets you define yourself instead. Antigua gives you a well made, highly functional piece of apparel at a fair price (polos $65 and under).

If you'd like to know more about Antigua, you can also get Golfspy Tim's thoughts on Antigua here and Spyzinger's thoughts here.

The Press Release:

Antigua Spring 2012 Collection

The Antigua brand of genuine performance golf apparel, with a strong reputation as a golf industry standard for high quality performance fabrics and fashion golf styling in both men's and women's apparel has received a genuinely overwhelming response to the direction of it's recently launched Spring '12 performance collections.

In a bold 360 degree change in direction which incorporates an innovative updated bright color palette and compliments it with contemporary golf apparel styling the collection's achieved success denoted by increased seasonal sales with deeper market penetration along with further establishing brand recognition as was the intent of the direction update.

Antigua has continued its R&D to bring further innovations in fabric technology expanding on the D2XL (Desert Dry Xtra-Lite) fabrics with newness in construction, a softer hand (feel) while maintaining focus on the drape of the fabric and how it correlates to the fit of the garment says Sean Gregg, Director of Product Development at Antigua. Add to that some simple but elegant style detailing in the way of pop color piping or contrast stitching and the finished garment appeals to each (golf) sense Gregg adds.

The philosophy during the development cycle is that each garment be built to stand alone - as though you were creating someone's 'favorite' piece - and build those pieces out to assemble a full collection of favorites. The response to the collection has been received as it was intended and as the collections focus for its initial delivery has been the sun-belt the sell in and sell through has already proven phenomenal. The pop colors as they represent the collections divisive groupings and introduced first are Keylime, Berry and Wedgewood... and the colors that are following and added to the first offering as new product are Turq, Mellon and Azalea and are available for delivery in the Northern territories as green grass shops open their doors for Spring '12. These fresh bright colors are represented as all over solid tonals, engineered chest stripes, tippings on rib treatments, pop accents on argyles and as filament cover stitching details on innovative outerwear pieces from base layers to water resistant wind garments.

DSC_0004.JPG

DSC_0011.JPG

DSC_0014.JPG

DSC_0020.JPG

DSC_0026.JPG

DSC_0028.JPG

DSC_0033.JPG

DSC_0034.JPG

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Archived