TaylorMade MG4 vs Titleist Vokey SM10 Wedges – Need Your Advice!

Hey everyone,

I'm at a bit of a crossroads trying to decide between upgrading my wedges to either TaylorMade MG4 or Titleist Vokey Design SM10 and could really use your insights!

A bit about my game: I've been playing golf actively for over a year now across Québec (QC), with around 50 rounds last year and 25 on Trackman this winter. I'm currently playing with TaylorMade MG3 wedges, specifically a 54º.11 and a 58º.11, and I've really enjoyed their performance. My set also includes a 43º Stealth Pitching Wedge and a 49º Stealth Gap Wedge. I'm considering changing my Gap Wedge to make a more logical transition in my set.

Given this setup, I'm looking for advice on the best lofts, bounce, and grind options for either the MG4 or the Vokey SM10 to fit well with my current clubs. I'm aiming for smooth loft progression and optimal turf interaction for my play style.

• What experiences have you guys had with these models?
  • Any recommendations on configurations that might work well?
  • What are the pros and cons of both models?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Cheers,
Corentin

Edited by Corentin Vadillo

Corentin | Québec City, QC - B2 Golf member
Average Quebec-based golfer on a quest to refine skills and deepen golfing knowledge

📊Golfing Stats: Handicap 18 | Best Round 88 | Trackman Handicap 5.5
🌍 Favorite Courses: Celebration, Orlando (FL) | Club de Golf Orléans, St-Pétronille (QC) | Green Pearl Golf, Moorea, French Polynesia 
🏌️Clubs:

• Driver: Titleist TSR3 - HZRDUS Smoke Black stiff shaft
  • Woods: TaylorMade Stealth 3W & 5W - HZRDUS Smoke Red stiff shaft
  • Irons: TaylorMade Stealth (4i to Gap Wedge) - Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 105 stiff shaft
  • Wedges: TaylorMade MG3 (54º & 58º) - True Temper Dynamic Golf S200 stiff shaft
  • Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport Super Select 2.5+ - stock steel shaft
  • Bag: Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black
  • Ball: Titleist Pro V1
  • Tracking system : Arccos Gen3. + Arccos Link Pro

🎯 Golf Instructor: Alex Shattuck (TGRe)

Passionate about all things golf. Here to learn, share, and test the limits of my game.
Let's make every shot count! ⛳

• Corentin Vadillo changed the title to TaylorMade MG4 vs Titleist Vokey SM10 Wedges – Need Your Advice!

When it comes down to selecting wedges everyone will different opinions based on swing style. That's why there is a variety of grinds available. I would suggest going through the wedge selector process on the Vokey website and use what it spits out as a guiding tool no matter what brand you pick. If you have been playing with .11 bounce and you feel comfortable with that I wouldn’t make any drastic changes. Personally, I use low bounce in my 50&54 because they are usually fuller shots. While I use a mid-bounce on my 58 because it adds some versatility.

There are mainly 2 different loft thoughts.

1)      Clubbed PW/52/56/60

2)      Clubbed PW/50/54/58

To get here you should take into consideration what loft your PW is & think about what shots you have to hit most frequently. I use option 2 because a 58 is easy for me to hit almost anywhere from 100 in & I would rather 3/4 a 54 to get the 100-110 yards instead of mashing a 56. You can also get your lofts bent slightly.

Example: You find yourself 60 yards out all the time and your half swing with a 56 gets you to 50-55 yards. You can get that 56 bent to 55 to gain the extra yards but keep the swing that feels the best to you

I think you have the two best brands in mind so you cant go wrong with either one. I play the MG4 and like them, but I also liked my Vokeys. My 50 degree is a Cleveland CBX because it’s really forgiving and is only used for full shots. You might also look into Sub 70 wedges. They are a little cheaper and feel pretty good. If you play a 60 degree wedge I actually really like the HI-Toe wedges.

Callaway Max LS - XS

Ping G430 3w

4-pw Mizuno JPX Tours 923

TM Wedges

Bett - SS9 Putter

Hello, Corentin - 

JMD95 gave you excellent wedge advice.

Let me throw in another "loft thought" because I am a proponent of fewer clubs in the bag in hopes of you learning to do different things with your wedges.

I recommend a:

Pitching Wedge (44-45*) - this would be the PW that comes with your iron set for full shots or for low pitch & run shots.

Gap Wedge (50*) - this would be a club used for chipping, low-to-medium pitching and medium-to-long bunker shots.  I would recommend a 10-12* bounce for this club.  Most companies "standard - S" or "fairway - F" grind works best.

Sand Wedge (56*) - this would be used for short, soft chips, medium-to-high pitching, medium-to-short bunker shots and lob/flop shots. I would recommend a 10-12* bounce for this club with a "heel-grind" on the sole so it can be comfortably opened for specialty flops & lobs.  PING calls this an "H" grind , TITLEIST it a "D" grind and CALLAWAY calls it a "C" grind. Other companies have similar grinds too. 

Finally, try to watch some YouTube videos by Seve Ballesteros, as he used to do all of these shots with just a PW and SW and is considered by accomplished players as having one of the most creative and successful short games in modern history.

Hard, smart work in this area will pay off greatly!  

BTW, eBay is a great place to try different used wedges/grinds before emptying your wallet on new ones. 😀

After retiring from the PGA of America, I did some demo days and club fitting for TaylorMade, Callaway, Titleist, Ping, Cobra, Srixon and Mizuno.

Thank you @JMD95 and @ShimmyCocoBop for your advices, I took all of them and sheduled a wedge fitting on Thursday.
I'll let you know the result 🙂 
Have a good day!

Average Quebec-based golfer on a quest to refine skills and deepen golfing knowledge

🌍 Favorite Courses: Celebration, Orlando (FL) | Club de Golf Orléans, St-Pétronille (QC) | Green Pearl Golf, Moorea, French Polynesia 
🏌️Clubs:

• Irons: TaylorMade Stealth (4i to Gap Wedge) - Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 105 stiff shaft
  • Wedges: TaylorMade MG3 (54º & 58º) - True Temper Dynamic Golf S200 stiff shaft

Passionate about all things golf. Here to learn, share, and test the limits of my game.

I don't necessarily have any bounce recommendations because I feel like those are soo specific to your personal swing and also what the course conditions tend to be like around you.  I feel like gapping is also very specific I personally had certain numbers I wanted each club to hit which is how I came up with mine. My PW was 46 degrees so I went 50/54/58 with my MGs. the 50 is an MG4 and the others are still MG3s. I have not tried the SM10s yet but I did come from SM8s  when I originally moved to the MGs I chose to switch based off feel of the club head weighting personally. To me the MGs had a more natural weight to them for chipping.

Driver:   G425 Max w/Hzardous im10
Fairway:  M4 3 wood w/fujikura atmos 
Hybrids:  G425  max 3 hybrid w/alta cb      
Irons:      P790 4-pw  w/ dynamic gold 95
Wedge:   50 degree MG4 54/58 degree MG3 w/dynamic gold r300
Putter:   white hot versa double bend seven 

19 minutes ago, jayyarr said:

I don't necessarily have any bounce recommendations because I feel like those are soo specific to your personal swing and also what the course conditions tend to be like around you.  I feel like gapping is also very specific I personally had certain numbers I wanted each club to hit which is how I came up with mine. My PW was 46 degrees so I went 50/54/58 with my MGs. the 50 is an MG4 and the others are still MG3s. I have not tried the SM10s yet but I did come from SM8s  when I originally moved to the MGs I chose to switch based off feel of the club head weighting personally. To me the MGs had a more natural weight to them for chipping.

Thank you @jayyarr. I tried the SM10 for few shots at my local shop. I had the same feeling as you regarding the club head weighting. However, I bought my previous MG3 used, without trying anything else so I impatient to see what the fitting will tell me.

🏌️Clubs:

11 minutes ago, Corentin Vadillo said:

Thank you @jayyarr. I tried the SM10 for few shots at my local shop. I had the same feeling as you regarding the club head weighting. However, I bought my previous MG3 used, without trying anything else so I impatient to see what the fitting will tell me.

If numbers come back better with the SM10s there is always lead tape. I just was not seeing any major differences and liked the feel of my swing with the MGs better. 

Driver:   G425 Max w/Hzardous im10
Fairway:  M4 3 wood w/fujikura atmos 
Hybrids:  G425  max 3 hybrid w/alta cb      
Irons:      P790 4-pw  w/ dynamic gold 95
Wedge:   50 degree MG4 54/58 degree MG3 w/dynamic gold r300
Putter:   white hot versa double bend seven 

Just wanted to share an update on my quest for the perfect wedges! A few days ago, I was still undecided about which lofts, bounces, and grinds to go for, although I was leaning towards the TaylorMade MG4s because of their sleek look, the new groove technology, and the familiar feel reminiscent of my MG3s.

However, after a thorough fitting session, I've made a surprising switch to the Titleist SM10s for this summer season! The fitting was incredibly insightful, and after numerous trials and detailed discussions about my swing technique and the typical playing conditions here in Quebec, here's the new setup:

1. I'm dropping my 4-iron to make room for an additional wedge.
  2. My gap wedge will be adjusted from 49º to 48º to close the gap with my 43º pitching wedge.
  3. I've ordered a 52º12 F, 56º12 D, and a 60º08 M wedge.
    • The plan is to maintain a 4º gap between clubs, starting with the 48º.
    • The 52º will have a standard bounce suitable for full to fractional swings.
    • The 56º will also feature a significant bounce with a D grind, allowing me to open up the face while maintaining bounce—perfect for bunker shots or rough approaches.
    • Lastly, the 60º with an M grind will have a lower bounce, which is ideal for our often soft and moist grounds here, and this grind also allows face opening without compromising bounce.

Really excited to see how these changes improve my short game. Let me know if you have any tips or experiences with similar setups!

Thank you for your help and advices again.

24SM10-PDP-P1Hero-Mobile.jpg

🏌️Clubs:

@Corentin Vadillo - 

Congrats on your wedge fitting!  Man, you sure were not afraid to throw some ca$h  - I'm guessing around $600.00?

After some time with your instructor, your new wedges, your passion and hard work, you'll see your handicap drop!

After retiring from the PGA of America, I did some demo days and club fitting for TaylorMade, Callaway, Titleist, Ping, Cobra, Srixon and Mizuno.

3 minutes ago, ShimmyCocoBop said:

@Corentin Vadillo - 

Congrats on your wedge fitting!  Man, you sure were not afraid to throw some ca$h  - I'm guessing around $600.00?

After some time with your instructor, your new wedges, your passion and hard work, you'll see your handicap drop!

It’s a long-term investment I hope! 😉 

Thank you for your support. I’m now full set to drop my HCP. This season goal: 18 ➡️ 12

🏌️Clubs:

Depending on how much you play, this is likely an every year investment.  I’ve relegated to now buying every other year and making sure to buy new.  I tested used MG4 and my spin numbers were anywhere from 400-600 rpm different.  I could tell at the end of last year that they had started to lose their bite.  I have played 1 round this year with new ones and what a difference it truly makes.

I didn’t test enough this year and we’ll see.  For my swing these with SB 10 in the 60 degree and SB 12 in my 56 degree seem to dig into the turf a lot more on slightly fatter shots.    Been fairly wet the last few weeks so that makes a difference I know.

How did they fit you on the wedges?  Trackman in a store?  Just curious as this is how I have been fitted as in northern climates not a lot of options in offseason or early in year.

Driver: Titleist Tsi 3

3 Wood : Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead 3

Hybrid : Hogan Edge CFT Hybrid 3

Irons : Hogan Apex ftx 3 iron

Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4i-GW

Wedge : Taylor Made 56 degree

Vokey Sm8 60 degree s grind

Putter: Evnroll ev11

6 hours ago, rhaze91 said:

Depending on how much you play, this is likely an every year investment.  I’ve relegated to now buying every other year and making sure to buy new.  I tested used MG4 and my spin numbers were anywhere from 400-600 rpm different.  I could tell at the end of last year that they had started to lose their bite.  I have played 1 round this year with new ones and what a difference it truly makes.

I didn’t test enough this year and we’ll see.  For my swing these with SB 10 in the 60 degree and SB 12 in my 56 degree seem to dig into the turf a lot more on slightly fatter shots.    Been fairly wet the last few weeks so that makes a difference I know.

How did they fit you on the wedges?  Trackman in a store?  Just curious as this is how I have been fitted as in northern climates not a lot of options in offseason or early in year.

I agree with you, I hope to be able to keep them efficient for 2 seasons at least. 
Yes, it was on a trackman in a shop. They would like to be able to do it outside but they have not the facilities ATM. 

🏌️Clubs:

Sounds like a solid plan.  I myself have a 44, 48 with the T150’s then go 52.12 and the 58.08 M grind.  I messed with a 54 but found it didn’t provide a big enough trajectory difference, especially with the short game from the 58, so the 6 degree gap there works great for me.  

Ping G400

Ping G410 3,5,7

JPX 921 Hotmetal

Vokey 54, 58M

Odyssey #1 black