Disruption

I suffer from people standing directly behind me on the tee or on the green and behind the hole on the green. Also, it is disruptive when people move into my sight line during my setup or swing. It almost always brings a comment when I asked them not to do any of the above. Is there an easy rule to reference for them?

Unless they are trying to get a read off your putt there are no rules to point to in this case. This is a common courtesy issue as far as them standing behind you on the tee or walking into your sight line on setup/swing

On the tee, I find that quickly stepping back whilst taking a couple violent swings usually changes their habit 😆.  No rule perse, other than stealing putt lines as noted, but just continue to request they not do that.  If that draws snide remarks, find others who aren't selfish idiots to play with.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

On 4/29/2024 at 6:46 AM, DC1 said:

I suffer from people standing directly behind me on the tee or on the green and behind the hole on the green. Also, it is disruptive when people move into my sight line during my setup or swing. It almost always brings a comment when I asked them not to do any of the above. Is there an easy rule to reference for them?

16 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

On the tee, I find that quickly stepping back whilst taking a couple violent swings usually changes their habit 😆.  No rule perse, other than stealing putt lines as noted, but just continue to request they not do that.  If that draws snide remarks, find others who aren't selfish idiots to play with.  

I know players who are completely oblivious to other players, feeling free to move about and hold a conversation while someone is trying to hit a shot.  I also know a few players who curse at butterflies for farting too loudly in their backswing.  So for the OP, its possible you need to learn to ignore outside stuff a little better.  Its also possible you play with unaware sorts, and that a friendly request might help them to stay out of your "problem spots".  Or you may just be stuck with idiots, and you'll be better off if you can find different playing companions.  There's a huge variety, of both the sensitive player and the insensitive companions, I can't tell which is the issue here.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

I know players who are completely oblivious to other players, feeling free to move about and hold a conversation while someone is trying to hit a shot.  I also know a few players who curse at butterflies for farting too loudly in their backswing.  So for the OP, its possible you need to learn to ignore outside stuff a little better.  Its also possible you play with unaware sorts, and that a friendly request might help them to stay out of your "problem spots".  Or you may just be stuck with idiots, and you'll be better off if you can find different playing companions.  There's a huge variety, of both the sensitive player and the insensitive companions, I can't tell which is the issue here.

Well, simply common curtesy. If you politely ask someone not to stand behind you when addressing the ball (on the tee or otherwise), or directly opposite your putt line, etc., why not do as they ask?

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Well, simply common curtesy. If you politely ask someone not to stand behind you when addressing the ball (on the tee or otherwise), or directly opposite your putt line, etc., why not do as they ask?

None of us know how the OP made his request, and the wording and attitude can have a heavy impact on the response.  I agree, with a polite calm request, there's no reason not to comply.  But a snide or sarcastic or angry complaint might "always bring a comment", as he says.  Same if the infractions are truly minor, like the butterflies.  If its really " always", I'd look at the common denominator, which is the OP.  Again, I don't know the facts, I'm merely speculating on one possible reason for the conflicts.

Edited by DaveP043

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

14 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

None of us know how the OP made his request, and the wording and attitude can have a heavy impact on the response.  I agree, with a polite calm request, there's no reason not to comply.  But a snide or sarcastic or angry complaint might "always bring a comment", as he says.  Same if the infractions are truly minor, like the butterflies.  If its really " always", I'd look at the common denominator, which is the OP.  Again, I don't know the facts, I'm merely speculating on one possible reason for the conflicts.

I don't see anything in the OP's description that suggests he did/does anything but ask fellow players not to stand behind him on the tee; and that doing so "almost always brings a comment".  My comment would be, "okay, sorry about that" and not stand behind him.  Not really a lot to read into this. It's just common curtesy IMO.

I don't like players standing directly behind me on the tee either - particularly if they are moving around.  On occasion, I've asked them not to and never had any issues.  Last year, in league play, one of the guys had a bad habit of driving his cart up the fairway (not using the 90 degree rule) and directly behind players getting ready to hit.  He was asked not too, acted a little butt-hurt, but stopped doing so... at least for the remainder of that round.

Well, I'm always a little skeptical when someone's first post is a complaint about his playing companions, more skeptical when he doesn't return to the thread he started for a week or more.  So I'll tag @DC1, do you have any clarifications or responses to anything we've written here?  I know I suggested that you might be a bit sensitive to noise and movements, or that you might not have voiced your concerns in the best  possible way.  Others have suggested ways to handle things.  Any comments or follow-up?

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

11 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Well, I'm always a little skeptical when someone's first post is a complaint about his playing companions, more skeptical when he doesn't return to the thread he started for a week or more.  So I'll tag @DC1, do you have any clarifications or responses to anything we've written here?  I know I suggested that you might be a bit sensitive to noise and movements, or that you might not have voiced your concerns in the best  possible way.  Others have suggested ways to handle things.  Any comments or follow-up?

Yes, I do have some comments. An example may be useful....

Yesterday,  3 playing partners. 1 was playing my tees and his daughters were playing the front tees. 2nd hole, he stepped to the middle of the tee box and stood about 10/15 feet behind the line between the tee markers and said it was my honors. I indicated that he could go and again said it was my turn. As I walk up, I ask POLITELY "Do you mind standing even with me? (pointing to the tee marker that would be behind my back at address.)" He scooted up and I teed off. No problem. 

Hole 3 on fairway at our 2nd shots. He and daughters have hit and I pull up to my ball and daughters haven't moved their cart (they are directly behind me at about 10-15 yards. He pulls his cart to 5-10 yrds behind me at 7/8 o' clock. I say POLITELY "My friend says it is because I played point guard, but directly behind me between...." and he says "Oh! Eyes in the back of your head!" and puts his cart in reverse instead of pulling even with me (if behind me) or away. Still POLITELY, I explained the issue and pointed to the area behind me that is a problem and to the areas that would not be. 

Eventually (by hole 5), he started policing himself and his daughters.

I haven't commented before now because I was discouraged by the responses that were similar to the reactions I get on the course. As I mentioned in my intial post, I ALWAYS get some snide response and some responsive posts continued that trend, including your suggestion that I'm a bit sensitive. Of course,  I am more sensitive than many other golfers. But, I am. What am I to do? Be less sensitive? That's like telling me not to see what I see. Every element of my golf swing is the product of characteristics unique to me. My field of vision during address and my swing should be no different. An analogy is someone standing close enough to be hit by another's backswing and was resistant to moving because some element of the backswing was unlike most backswings.

When it is my turn, I think my interest in hitting my ball without disruption is greater than another's interest in standing behind me to watch my ball or because that's where amateurs generally stand. Yet, my experience is that I recieve pushback when I explain my sensitivity.

All I want to do is play golf and then play better golf. 

On 4/29/2024 at 5:46 AM, DC1 said:

Welcome to.MGS.  I would simply ask them to not do those things. Eventually they will get it and you all can.enjoy the round. 

Me personally,  I prefer carts and persons behind me or to my backside instead of parallel/next to me. It's one less distraction in my peripherals. On the tee box I always ask for a spotter.

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

2 hours ago, DC1 said:

I haven't commented before now because I was discouraged by the responses that were similar to the reactions I get on the course. As I mentioned in my intial post, I ALWAYS get some snide response and some responsive posts continued that trend, including your suggestion that I'm a bit sensitive. Of course,  I am more sensitive than many other golfers. But, I am. What am I to do? Be less sensitive? That's like telling me not to see what I see.

I apologize for seeming "snide" to you.  In looking at my original post, I mentioned a rather wide range of behaviors, from playing partners who are completely oblivious to anyone who is actually hitting a shot, to the polar opposite, players who are bothered by butterflies farting.  Based on one post, it was impossible to discern the problem in your specific case.  

Now you say you ARE a bit more sensitive than other players, you are a bit unusual, so it shouldn't be too surprising that other people see your requests as a bit unusual.  All I can recommend is patience, and that you continue to explain your preferences as you are doing.   Since your requests seem a bit more specific than "normal", its probably going to take a few holes to "train" your playing companions.  Also, it IS possible to become a bit less sensitive.  A good friend was one of those who'd notice the butterflies farting two fairways away.  People playing with him were on pins and needles all day, trying to avoid doing something "wrong".  He realized he was a part of the problem, it wasn't all about rude playing companions, and he's worked to become more accepting.  Its made a big difference to his enjoyment, fewer things bother him, and its more fun to play with him.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia