Garmin S70 Health and Tracking - 2024 Forum Review

Message added by MGS-Forum-Mod,

Follow our testers main posts via the links below.
@revkev - Main Post 

@cburins - Main Post 

@Corentin Vadillo - Main Post 

@NubianRugby - Main Post

My final review is up!

Thank you to all the Member and Testers. I had such a great time doing this testing and hope my reviews helped you get a better understanding of the Garmin S70 and CT10 Sensors! 

WITB:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 - TENSEI AV Series White 65 Stiff

3wood: Taylormade Stealth - Ventus Blue Stiff 

Driving Iron: Ping Crossover 3iron - Ping Stiff 

Irons: 4-PW Titleist AP2 - Dynamic Gold S300 

Wedges: 52 Vokey SM6 (F Grind), 56 Vokey SM8 (D Grind), 60 Vokey SM9 (M Grind)

Putter: LAB MEZZ.1 MAX

Ball: Titleist TruFeel 

GPS: Garmin S70/CT10 Sensors (Current MGS Tester) 

On 7/30/2024 at 11:14 AM, GolfSpy_APH said:

So with HRV I have noticed one thing in particular and it makes sense. If I don't dream I am consistent. Even though I wake up 3 or more times in a night (kids and dogs moving around) it will still be a consistent level. 

However, if I dream it goes high! I don't dream often, but have had a few in the last week or so and those nights I not only have a worse sleep, but the HRV score is less than stellar. 

I have also noticed that on average i have been getting between 5-6.5 hours of sleep a night. Meaning I am never really catching up, but always running a mid to low battery. Is what it is I guess. 

I was on the lookout for this. I rarely have a dream that I remember any more. I did the other night and here’s what popped up on the morning report:

IMG_0804.jpeg.3816505514bfe7a863391eac7e02aa08.jpeg

Notice the 53 - I’ve never seen that before. This is consistent with what Jamie observed. 

Driver: Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  R flex   - 44.25 

Fairways:  Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta CB red 65 R flex

Hybrid:  Ping G410  26 degree  Alta CB Red 70 R flex 

Irons: Ping G430  7-PW, 45, 50 Alta CB black 65 soft R flex 

Wedges:  Ping 195 S54, E58

Wedges and irons are - 1/2” and one degree flat 

Putter: Sacks Parente Duke 32.5”

Ball: Titleist Pro VI or Callaway Chrome Soft X ls

While not at the same time I was fit for every club in my bag as well as the Pro VI ball. I use the chrome soft x ls on my league course.  It has much softer softer greens than the club that I belong to. 

I’m on a mission to shoot my age - lifetime lowest round is 66 and I’m currently 67. 

IMG_0837.jpeg.41e41930bc063857e475c91d56e1b93e.jpegMy new band arrived Thursday. I finally had time to install it this afternoon(Saturday.) It is a bit of a process particularly since my close vision is not great since the cataract surgery last winter. Enter my wife who watched a you tube video and went to work with her small eye glasses screw driver. She had it changed in under 5 minutes 2 of which were spent looking for the dole that flew off because they are spring loaded. 🙂

I went black because it goes with my golf and work wardrobe. I also went with Velcro - it allows for a better fit. Time will tell how it lasts. Far more contractor band. I’m playing tomorrow after church so we will see how that goes. Off to a great start, though. 

IMG_0842.jpeg

IMG_0843.jpeg

IMG_0844.jpeg

While not at the same time I was fit for every club in my bag as well as the Pro VI ball. I use the chrome soft x ls on my league course.  It has much softer softer greens than the club that I belong to. 

I’m on a mission to shoot my age - lifetime lowest round is 66 and I’m currently 67. 

Hello everyone!

With a little delay due to a difficult personal situation these last 2 months, I am happy to share with you the link to my final review for the Garmin S70 watch and the CT10 sensors:

Do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions, I would be happy to answer them.
For people close to or passing by the South of France, send me a dm and we could schedule a golf session!

Corentin | Québec City, QC - B2 Golf member 🇨🇦
Average Quebec-based golfer on a quest to refine skills and deepen golfing knowledge

📊 Golfing Stats: Handicap 14.7 | Best Round 84 | Trackman Handicap 6.2
⛳ Favorite Courses: Celebration, Orlando (FL) | Club de Golf Orléans, St-Pétronille (QC, Canada) | La Tempête, Lévis (QC, Canada)
🎒 WITB:

• Driver: Titleist TSR3 9º - HZRDUS Smoke Black stiff shaft 
  • Woods: TaylorMade Stealth 3W & 5W - HZRDUS Smoke Red stiff shaft 
  • Irons: TaylorMade Stealth (5i to Gap Wedge) - Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 105 stiff shaft 
  • Wedges: Titleist SM10 Chrome (52º12F, 56°12D & 60º08M) - Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 105 stiff shaft 
  • Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport Super Select 2.5+ - stock steel shaft 
  • Bag: Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black 
  • Ball: Titleist Pro V1 | Titleist Velocity
  • Tracking system : Arccos Gen3. + Arccos Link Pro 

🎓 Golf Instructor: Alex Shattuck (TGRe)
🔎 Tests & Reviews :

Passionate about all things golf. Here to learn, share, and test the limits of my game.
Let's make every shot count! 🎯

Just a quick check in - I realize we have a lot of other great tests going on which means the only ones looking here are those who are considering purchase of this watch.

The band change has been an absolute game changer for me.  Rash completed cleared up - the buttons don't dig into my skin anymore and the velcro allows the watch to fit perfectly - If I were rating the watch today the score would be in the mid 90's.  (Censors have moved on to a new home.)

On an interesting side note I was at a coworkers condo last evening.  It's right behind the 6th tee and 12th green at my club - two of the people there have different Garmin models - one is a runner, the other a swimmer.  I turned mine the golf gps function on - it picked up my course right away and I was able to show them how the s70 works - we got a distance to a fairway bunker from our location on 5, the green on 12 and also back to the green, bunkers and pond on 4.  They loved it!    

Big shout out to @revkev for shipping the sensors to me. I received them yesterday and was able to get 9 holes in this morning using the sensors. I've spent the last year playing with just the watch. I found the sensors to be incredibly helpful. I was able to setup my clubs this morning in less than 10 minutes with the sensors that revkev sent me and was ready to go. I didn't do it the way Garmin recommended, which is put all the sensors on then sync them to the watch individually. Instead, I synced each sensor as I put them on, taking a few steps away from the sensors as I synced. I had no issues installing the sensors. I had read that there were some issues with putters but I did not experience this. After 9 holes of using the sensors, I found them helpful in that I really did not have to focus on what I had to do to manually track my shots after every hit. I could just hit and go. This was especially helpful with the putter.

I am currently taking part in the PXG Black Ops Irons test where my main post can be found here: PXG Black Ops

I will be doing an independent test of the Garmin S70 Approach  + CT10 sensors vs the CONNEX sensors by Shot Scope. I had purchased the CONNEX sensors before revkev reached out to me about the CT10 sensors. I think this could be an interesting test to see how a $1,000 option ( S70 $699 + CT10 $299) compares to a $100 set of sensors. Due to my involvement in the PXG Black Ops test, the test between Garmin and Shot Scope will be conducted after the PXG Black Ops test has been concludes.

Once I've completed the independent test, I plan to pay it forward and ship either the Garmin CT10s or the CONNEX to a fellow spy who is interested in giving them a try!

Edited by FallenSaber

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Max LS

3 Wood: :PXG: Gen 5 0311XF 

Hybrid: :PXG: Gen 5 0311 XF 22 degree

Irons: :PXG: 2022 XCOR2 0211 5-GW

Wedges: :taylormade-small: R Series 54° & 60°

Putter: :odyssey-small:

2023 Test: ⌚Garmin Approach S70 47mm

On 8/16/2024 at 10:37 AM, revkev said:

Just a quick check in - I realize we have a lot of other great tests going on which means the only ones looking here are those who are considering purchase of this watch.

The band change has been an absolute game changer for me.  Rash completed cleared up - the buttons don't dig into my skin anymore and the velcro allows the watch to fit perfectly - If I were rating the watch today the score would be in the mid 90's.  (Censors have moved on to a new home.)

On an interesting side note I was at a coworkers condo last evening.  It's right behind the 6th tee and 12th green at my club - two of the people there have different Garmin models - one is a runner, the other a swimmer.  I turned mine the golf gps function on - it picked up my course right away and I was able to show them how the s70 works - we got a distance to a fairway bunker from our location on 5, the green on 12 and also back to the green, bunkers and pond on 4.  They loved it!    

My rash has completely vanished as well! Definitely a good move to switch to another band.

I am curious to try the original band in the winter as it won't be hot here in Canada. Would be interesting to see if the rash would come back. 

WITB:

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2024 at 12:11 PM, cburins said:

My rash has completely vanished as well! Definitely a good move to switch to another band.

I am curious to try the original band in the winter as it won't be hot here in Canada. Would be interesting to see if the rash would come back. 

My original band has been dishonorably retired. 🙂  I have dear friends who are in Canada right now - they woke up to 58 degrees yesterday.  Does that qualify as cooler?  I would settle for 78 without it being during a tropical storm - at this point.  

I put up a review of the new Fenix 8 if anyone is interested.

GT2 10° Project X HZRDUS 6.0 Black 5G 60  
GT2 16.5° Project X HZRDUS 6.0 Black 5G 70
TSR2 18° HZRDUS Black 6.0 4G 
2 Iron T200 Utility HZRDUS Black 6.0
4 Iron T200 Utility HZRDUS Black 6.0
T150 5- PW (44) Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff
Vokey SM9 48.10 F Grind, 
Vokey SM9 54.10 S Grind, 
Vokey SM9 60.08 M Grind, 
L.A.B DF3 Armlock
Grip Master Tour Wrap Grips
Garmin Z30

Ugh! Since I submitted my final review I have lost 3 f-ing sensors off my clubs!

When I lost the first one I wasn't worried, I was certain it was down at the bottom of my golf bag and I'd find it when I cleaned out my bag. Over the course of the next few rounds, I lost two more and did finally get around to doing some organizing and maintenance to the Mizuno BR-DX I bought last year when I got new clubs. I was disappointed to find that the sensors were not in the bag and had come off during a swing during a round, never to be seen again.

The plan is to move the sensors around; take them off my putter, hybrid, and 58 degree wedge, replace the ones lost on the 4, 6, and 7 irons; and keep it pushing with the 11 I have left. I will give the inside of the hole on my grips a little scuff and put a drop of super glue on them when I do the re-arranging/re-pairing of the CT10s with the S70. Also wondering if these goofy things might be a good answer.

WITB

Calloway Hyper X Driver TaylorMade SIM2 Max D

Paradym 3-wood

Ping G430 3-hybrid

Ping G430 4-PW

Ping 50, 54, 58 wedges

Old ass putter from my old bag TP Hydro Blast Soto

9 hours ago, NubianRugby said:

Ugh! Since I submitted my final review I have lost 3 f-ing sensors off my clubs!

When I lost the first one I wasn't worried, I was certain it was down at the bottom of my golf bag and I'd find it when I cleaned out my bag. Over the course of the next few rounds, I lost two more and did finally get around to doing some organizing and maintenance to the Mizuno BR-DX I bought last year when I got new clubs. I was disappointed to find that the sensors were not in the bag and had come off during a swing during a round, never to be seen again.

The plan is to move the sensors around; take them off my putter, hybrid, and 58 degree wedge, replace the ones lost on the 4, 6, and 7 irons; and keep it pushing with the 11 I have left. I will give the inside of the hole on my grips a little scuff and put a drop of super glue on them when I do the re-arranging/re-pairing of the CT10s with the S70. Also wondering if these goofy things might be a good answer.

Exactly my experience just on a faster time line. I was -3 CT10’s by the end of the test period. Never lost a shot scope censor and don’t recall loosing an ARCOSS one.

To be clear though I highly endorse the watch, really love it. 

2 hours ago, revkev said:

Exactly my experience just on a faster time line. I was -3 CT10’s by the end of the test period. Never lost a shot scope censor and don’t recall loosing an ARCOSS one.

To be clear though I highly endorse the watch, really love it. 

Yup, this seems to be an issue for all users. I haven't lost any but have definitely been close. 

WITB:

Wow, so I'm glad that I did NOT splurge and get the sensors. I don't know if the S70 works exactly like the Fenix 7, but the Fenix is very good about recognizing swings. I may take multiple practice swings. The watch asks which club I just used. I select the club used AFTER I have taken my actual shot. I never have problems with the watch counting more swings than I actually did. I do have to manually enter putts, though. Sounds like the sensors are more hassle than they are worth.

:taylormade-small: M6 clubs in the bag and a GARMIN Fenix 7 on the wrist!

18 hours ago, VernL4 said:

Sounds like the sensors are more hassle than they are worth.

I'm not sure I agree. When they're firmly in place and working correctly they are great and provide a lot of information with no user intervention. I'm going to try the sensor condoms and see if that fixes the issue.

WITB

Calloway Hyper X Driver TaylorMade SIM2 Max D

Paradym 3-wood

Ping G430 3-hybrid

Ping G430 4-PW

Ping 50, 54, 58 wedges

Old ass putter from my old bag TP Hydro Blast Soto

12 minutes ago, NubianRugby said:

I'm not sure I agree. When they're firmly in place and working correctly they are great and provide a lot of information with no user intervention. I'm going to try the sensor condoms and see if that fixes the issue.

I'm not sure that the sensors provide any stats in addition to what my watch already gives me. I'm still interested enough to see how things go with you and the "sensor condoms" 😆 , though. Keep us posted! 

9 minutes ago, VernL4 said:

I'm not sure that the sensors provide any stats in addition to what my watch already gives me. I'm still interested enough to see how things go with you and the "sensor condoms" 😆 , though. Keep us posted! 

I believe you can't get putting/chipping "stats" without the CT10s.

Ping G430 Max 10K (10.5º) Review Post - Ping G425 Max 3W (14.5º) - Ping G425 Max 5W (18.5º)  -  Ping G425 Max 4 Hybrid - Ping G430 Max 9W - Ping i230 6-UW - s159 54º (S-grind) and 58º (B-grind) - LAB Golf DF3

Just now, Rearviewmirror said:

OK, yes, you are correct. I do not getting chipping and putting stats without the sensors. I was really beginning to wonder what info they provided. I was partway through the CT10 page on Garmin. Thank you for the info!

1 hour ago, Rearviewmirror said:

I thought about buying the 3 pack of sensors just for this reason. Unfortunalty, I use multiple wedges to chip with depending on the situation, so 3 really wouldn't be enough. Couple that with my OCD of having 2 wedges sit taller in the bag and I never could pull the trigger.

Driver: :taylormade-small: QI10 Max
Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3HL
Fairway: :ping-small: G425 Max 9 Wood
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: 2020 CLK 5 Hybrid
Hybrid: :PXG: 0317 6 Hybrid

Irons: :cleveland-small: Zipcore XL 7-PW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 46° 50° 54° & 58°
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:
 Array F-3 
Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour Yellow

2 hours ago, Parshooter36 said:

I thought about buying the 3 pack of sensors just for this reason. Unfortunalty, I use multiple wedges to chip with depending on the situation, so 3 really wouldn't be enough. Couple that with my OCD of having 2 wedges sit taller in the bag and I never could pull the trigger.

I don't really see the sensors making a huge difference at all. If there was more technology and accuracy provided I would highly recommend them, but at this time I just don't think it's worth it. 

WITB:

2 hours ago, Parshooter36 said:

I realize this isn’t the ideal place to ask but I’m curious as to how you decide which club to chip with. I use multiple ones too but I don’t really have a good behind yet. It’s more by feel and that never works well for he. 😞

1 minute ago, revkev said:

I realize this isn’t the ideal place to ask but I’m curious as to how you decide which club to chip with. I use multiple ones too but I don’t really have a good behind yet. It’s more by feel and that never works well for he. 😞

Personally, I got really comfortable with my 60 degree around the greens. It's definitely an accumulation of knowing how to hit from different lies and committing to each shot. Very rarely am I going for my 56 or 52 - maybe for shots I want to hit lower and roll out more. Again, its all feel similar to putting. 

WITB:

3 minutes ago, revkev said:

It mainly just depends on how far I am from the green and how quickly I need it to stop. I'm a big believer in getting the ball on the green as quickly as possible and letting it roll out. I don't try and hit a hop and stop by the pin unless I am extremely short sided on the green.

Driver: :taylormade-small: QI10 Max
Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3HL
Fairway: :ping-small: G425 Max 9 Wood
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: 2020 CLK 5 Hybrid
Hybrid: :PXG: 0317 6 Hybrid

Irons: :cleveland-small: Zipcore XL 7-PW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 46° 50° 54° & 58°
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:
 Array F-3 
Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour Yellow

4 hours ago, revkev said:

I would highly recommend checking out Dan Grieve's 3 releases book/YouTube content. Similar to @Parshooter36 my main considerations are lie (what bounce/grind will work to produce the most forgiving shot), what the ball is landing on (uphill/downhill, into/with the grain), and the balance between in the air vs rollout.

I play my standard release 1 chip as 50/50 air/roll with my PW, 54º is more air less roll, 9i is more roll less air (great for getting the ball to roll up hill or travel further distances). I started with just using one club for a while (PW) to get the distance dialled, and then now use club selection to determine distance.

For pitch shots or lob shots it's only ever the 54º unless it's an "emergency" shot with the 58º where it needs to get up and down very quickly with very little roll. 

Ping G430 Max 10K (10.5º) Review Post - Ping G425 Max 3W (14.5º) - Ping G425 Max 5W (18.5º)  -  Ping G425 Max 4 Hybrid - Ping G430 Max 9W - Ping i230 6-UW - s159 54º (S-grind) and 58º (B-grind) - LAB Golf DF3

Thanks for the feedback, gents. 

21 hours ago, revkev said:

I go Cleveland for chipping, Rev, and I go extreme.

If the ground looks cooperative, I use the 42° Smart Sole chipper.
If the ground looks devious, I go with the Smart Sole 64° sand iron and play to dunk it almost.

The soles are very similar for turf interaction with a non-handsy stroke.  
One might not think of matching these two clubs but it works.
I just go small with the chipper or big with the 64.

I appreciate all of the replies on my earlier questions - I am at a stage of life where I will choose the flattest club possible to get the job done from off the green - I always start the consideration with looking at the lie to see if putter will work.  Grain in Florida can be brutally unkind so from there hybrid moves into the mix.

Back on topic I had a minor medical procedure today - a cyst on my neck excised - it was a bit above the normal because of being in close proximity to the corroded artery.  The nurse told me that one of the numbing agents could cause an elevated heartbeat but that it would only last 5 minutes or so and it was highly unlikely because I take a mild beta blocker.  According to my watch my heartrate never got above 65. 

It's pretty funny as it will get well over 100 and sometimes 120 when preparing to hit a golf shot  if I'm playing competitively but it remained 65 and my stress level low while having a guy cut something out of my neck with a sharp knife.

Weird!