Vice Golf Balls - 2024 Forum Review

Posted (edited)

Hey MGS Forum!

I want to thank MGS and Vice for the opportunity to participate in this test. I live in the Twin Cities area of the great “State of Hockey” now in my 26th year of playing this game. I competed locally as a junior and worked at a private club for 5 years in late high school/college which afforded me the opportunity to play many nice courses in the area. Now as a husband and father of two my time on the course may be limited compared to some, but I try to get out a couple of times per week while sprinkling in time at the range here and there.

Over the past decade, my index has ranged from high single digits to mid double digits (currently 11.5 index). I injured my shoulder 6 years ago and had to make some swing changes in an effort to still be able to play that season resulting in a noticeable loss in speed. I have been working on swing changes over the past year and started the Superspeed program earlier this year in my first serious effort to gain speed in years bringing me right around the Trackman LPGA averages with a bit more of a mid-high launch and mid spin player profile.

test.jpg.bcd9284d6a5c1d8e7d2bcd6279ea7836.jpg

**18th @ Chaska Town Course a couple of years ago**

First time MGS tester, but not a novice as I have participated in 5 ball tests for GolfWRX over the past decade. Historically, I have gravitated towards multilayer urethane covered balls. With exception to the Srixon Zstar that I played for a few years after stashing up @ $7 per dozen on clearance at Walmart, I have not been a particularly big fan of thermoplastic urethane (TPU) covers and have preferred thermoset urethane (TSU) covered balls over the past few years. The advice that I usually give to those looking for a ball recommendation is to play the highest compression ball that is tolerable from a feel perspective in order to prioritize ball speed.

A couple of years ago I put the 2020 versions of the Vice Pro / Pro Plus head to head and the Pro Plus came out ahead. The previous version of the Pro Plus had a noticeably lower apex and seemed lower spin in the long game than the Pro. I am also very sensitive to cover/mantle layer hardness so while the Pro is lower compression overall, I prefer the feel of the Pro Plus (my guess is that the Pro has a firmer mantle than the outer mantle on the Pro Plus). The Pro Plus is not the lowest spinning nor the lowest apex that I have ever tried, but I would put the profile on the lower end of the middle of the spectrum. While big universal gains are unlikely for the majority of players that are already playing a multilayer urethane ball in the mid-high compression range, I have noticed the Pro Plus consistently being near the top of my distance range for full swings. That along with the great feel across all clubs as well as the mid spin profile around the greens and great cover durability has been the main reasons why this remains in my bag and is the first model in a long time that I have bothered to hoard. Speaking of durability, I played a single Pro Plus at the beginning of the season for over 60 holes before putting it in a hazard and with exception to a couple marks and the cover paint fading/yellowing, the ball was still in playable shape.

IMG_1858(1).jpg.7eeb18ef8268ef8b34002ffa655406de.jpg

**Current 2020 Pro Plus stash**

Expectations for this test? First, I am hoping that the feel, compression, and long game apex/spin profile remain in the same range as I am very happy with the 2020 version. Based on early feedback in threads, the 2024 version may have a slightly higher spin/apex profile but I am hoping my experience is different. So the real question is how can Vice improve on this? I wouldn't say no to improved durability or a slight increase in greenside spin. One thing I have noticed while playing the previous generation of Vice Pro line is that white paint seems to fade/yellow quicker than Titleist/Taylormade TSU covers, but this has been my experience with other TSU models coming out of the Foremost factory.

First Impressions (7 out of 10)

Under the what's new section of the Vice website, (which I assume is in comparison to the 2020 version), the following benefits are mentioned:

• Increased compression of the core, inner, and outer mantle to maximize energy transfer
  • Increased spin rate with short irons & wedges
  • Higher ball speeds for mid-high swing speeds

I would consider these all to be improvements, however what I found under the Spin & Distance section of the Pro concerns me:

“...Due to its reduced spin rates and flatter trajectory compared to the Vice Pro Plus...”

This would imply that Vice has flipped spin/trajectory attributes between the Pro and Pro Plus for this generation (likely to more directly compare with the Pro V1/Pro V1x). This would be a step backwards for me as I personally found the Pro Plus to be better for my swing due to the noticeably lower apex and slightly lower spin in the mid-long game.

Additionally the listed compression is now 100 vs 95 for the 2020 version which is mentioned above and again is not desirable for me as the 2020 version was right at the threshold of being too firm, but if the cover and outer mantle are relatively softer the higher compression may be masked. This increase brings it more in line with other Foremost produced X balls with similar construction like the Maxfli Tour X and Wilson Staff Model X.

IMG_1859(1).jpg.eb129a66d2347171b811f7f37fa19f51.jpg

Aesthetics (7 out of 10)

The new packaging is a little underwhelming for the Vice brand (I always thought the tiger fish graphics on the back of the box were interesting and stood out). I will say that the info on the back of the box is probably better for in person retail comparison than what has been offered in the past so maybe that is the focus this time around. The differently printed sleeve sides that when oriented create a continuous graphic is a nice touch to the packaging aesthetically.

IMG_1861(1).jpg.a19156112b30d6f7f8b26f32781bdd87.jpg

IMG_1863(1).jpg.bbb113c582329ec52d289020f7a4665b.jpg

The biggest disappointment is the side stamp alignment change as the solid line that Vice had used since inception has been my favorite side stamp of any ball to date, granted this was not a surprise when unboxing as I had seen pics online ahead of time. I will say that while still a step back from the prior alignment line, the new narrowing arrow is not as bad at address as I expected but there were times on the putting green where it didn't look straight (probably just an optical illusion). Ultimately this wouldn't be a deal breaker and I could adapt if there were other performance benefits over the previous version.

IMG_1865.JPG.fccb6f211a9fc704765630131a3c65a9.JPG

Looking at the cover, the dimple pattern appears to be the same 336 pattern and to the naked eye dimple depth appears to be the same as the previous version. One thing that I did notice was how sticky the balls felt coming out of the sleeve (more so than any ball I have ever touched, however this faded quickly following a little time on the putting green). While the cover feels roughly the same under the finger nail test, the 2024 felt slightly softer off the putter outdoors (which due to the reduced acoustics tends to be harder to distinguish vs in a more confined indoor space).

Edited by storm319

Driver:  Titleist TS2 9.5

Fairway:  Tour Edge CB4 Tour 16.5 

Irons:  Titleist 690.CB 3-PW

Wedges:  Titleist Vokey SM5 50, 56

Putter:  Odyssey Works Versa 1W

Ball:  Vice Pro Plus

Posted (edited)

Hey MGS Forum!

I’m thrilled to be selected for this review, especially for the Vice Pro Plus golf balls. I've almost bought Vice balls a few times but always hesitated. Now, I finally get to see if that hesitation was justified.

IMG_3227.jpg.5a08a7ad4c562ab3eb4eccc5c14f8d9b.jpg

About Me
I grew up in Canada, playing hockey in winter and casually golfing in summer. I had a junior membership at a nearby course during middle school and kept up a casual love affair with golf through high school and university, usually playing about 10 rounds each summer with friends and family.

My Career and Golf Journey
I’m a high school science teacher working in international schools, teaching expat children who can't attend the local system. This career has taken me and my golf bag to Kuwait, China, and now Belgium. In Kuwait, I played once a month in a teacher's league. China introduced me to screen golf due to the high cost and inaccessibility of grass golf. There, I played in a weekly Friday night league with equal focus of fun/beers and golf.

Now in Belgium, I’ve returned to traditional golf and joined the IGC league based out of Brussels. This league provides me with a Federation card and more flexibility than joining a single course. I’m also the golf coach at my school, which has me on the course four times a week during the spring and driving the van around Europe for competitions in places like Frankfurt, Paris, and Munich.

IMG_5207A0F1432D-1.jpeg.a1793ec239e3b4607a300b574d0ac0a5.jpeg

My Game
I’m aiming to play more competitive golf this year and am focused on improving my game through purposeful practice. Using Roundabout Golf to track my stats, I’ve identified approach and short game as areas needing the most improvement.

IMG_57D602F7F125-1.jpeg.364ed1e15b95a37ae22717debb69b8ca.jpeg

Testing Plan
I’ll be testing the Vice Pro Plus balls through a combination of on-course play, short game practice, and a detailed wedge matrix. This is the perfect opportunity for me to update my wedge matrix/chart and gather quality data supported by Trackman.

Comparison
Currently, I play with either Wilson Triad or Bridgestone BX balls. I’ll be directly comparing the Vice Pro Plus against these. I've been able to get my current balls at the same price point as the Vice Pro Plus, thanks to the 5 dozen discount, so this will be a fair comparison in terms of cost.

I've asked for a dozen of the blue and orange speckle pattern balls along with white. I'm curious as to how the design might change visibility on the course and also the durability of the cover.

Why I’m Excited
I'm really excited to test a product that has consistently done well in various reviews and tests. The price point is also very appealing; I don't want to spend a fortune on golf balls, but I’ve been searching for one that performs well at a reasonable cost. The Vice Pro Plus seems to fit this bill perfectly.

Key Performance Factors
Durability: I’m curious to see how well these balls hold up over multiple rounds.
Consistency: Consistent performance is crucial for my game. This will be about distance, dispersion and spin rate in a simulator.
Performance: I’m looking for solid performance in terms of distance and control. A little extra distance would be a great bonus.

Expectations
For the Vice Pro Plus balls to earn a permanent spot in my bag, they need to offer reasonable durability and match or exceed the performance of my current gamers (Wilson Triad and Bridgestone BX).

Preconceived Notions
I’ve heard a lot about Vice balls being high quality at a lower price point, which is why I’m so interested in this review. I’ve always been curious if the hype matches reality.

Goals
My goal is to find a ball that performs exceptionally well without breaking the bank. If the Vice Pro Plus can deliver in terms of durability, consistency, and overall performance, I’ll happily make the switch.

UNBOXING tl;dr

dripandwhite.jpg.770577d4f80f1cd98355a505e270f99f.jpg

Looks premium and the Drip option brings some heat.

Unboxing Post

REVIEW

First Impressions: Vice Pro Plus Golf Ball (10 out of 10)

When I unboxed the Vice Pro Plus golf balls, the premium packaging immediately caught my eye. The sleek box with a subtle sheen and texture felt top-notch. Opening it had just the right amount of anticipation, and the well-designed sleeves held the balls securely. The branding is bold which to me, matches the Vice brand. The all black design probably doesn’t jump out if on a shelf, but if ordered in the DTC model, they look great unboxing.

The solid white balls are brilliantly white, with clean black logos and markings that look professional. The purple and orange paint drip versions are especially cool, each with unique speckling patterns, it will be interesting to see visibility on the course.

The balls have a slightly tacky feel, suggesting a high-quality cover that grips well. Vice claims these balls are designed for high ball speeds and ultimate control, with a firm feel perfect for higher swing speeds. The 4 layer design aims to maximize distance while offering great control around the greens.

IMG_3245copy.jpg.b4d64422245ff36c379043bb653951ba.jpg

In simple terms, Vice is offering a golf ball that promises long drives and precise short game control. The firm feel is meant to give fast swingers solid feedback for better control. That will be what I am trying to identify compared to my current gamer, however it feels like this is what most golf balls in this category claim.

I am giving them a 10 as they match my expectations of what a ProV1x or similar ball would give as a first impression.

Aesthetics 8/10

The Vice Pro Plus golf balls come in premium packaging with a sleek design. The solid white balls are brilliantly white with clean black logos, while the vibrant purple and orange paint drip versions have unique patterns. The alignment aid is well-designed with tapered ends and the model name written inside the line, aiding in visualizing smooth strokes.

Durability: Short term, they showed minimal scuffing after hitting the cart path and trees. Full wedge and iron shots left no noticeable marks. Long term, they resisted wear better than Maxfli or Wilson balls. However, the paint drip style makes it harder to see scuffs and dirt, which can impact performance by not accurately assessing the ball’s condition.

IMG_3420copy.jpg.0230e2227658f43797c1c28768a70202.jpg

You can see in the photo scuffing after a short game practice. The practice consisted of 10-20 yard chips, mix of low spinners and high soft ones. I was using 4 balls and hit each maybe 20 times. Depending on your level of play, this ball might not be usable in competition after about 20 iron/wedge shots.

Unique Details: The dimple pattern is traditional, and the alignment aid with tapered ends is a standout feature. The feel is slightly tacky, providing a secure grip.

Sound and Feel:

Driver: Firm, crisp sound.

Wedges/Irons: Firmness helps feel like energy is transferred to the ball.

Putter: Slight click sound with a face insert putter, better feel than softer balls, less "mush" off the face.

The cover feels firm yet playable. Compared to other balls, it balances firmness and responsiveness well.

2 points are docked due to the lack of durability being easily able to be seen on the paint drip style. 

IMG_3416copy.jpg.a3f791d2bed7aac3d2cb99789a64fa9b.jpg

The Numbers: Vice Pro Plus Golf Ball (16 out of 20)

As mentioned, I headed to an indoor facility equipped with a TrackMan IO to compare the Vice Pro Plus to my usual gamer ball Tour BX. I spent the time working on a wedge matrix and a direct 7 iron comparison.

7-Iron Comparison: On well-struck shots, the Vice Pro Plus flew a bit lower but had comparable spin, height, and smash factor to my gamer ball, despite Vice marketing high spin. The average distance was a couple of yards shorter, but the dispersion was tighter, leading to more consistent shots.

Screenshot2024-07-04at21_07_12.png.3e9a84c2b5aa03ce8971f4b1cb2925f1.png

Wedge Shots: For 3/4 52-degree shots, the Vice Pro Plus had typical values but showed slightly higher dispersion, a trend seen across all my wedges. This might affect short game precision slightly, which is something to watch.

Screenshot2024-07-04at21_07_45.png.099a33e58ee9b43bd1ed7fe0594ad541.png

On Course Driving Data: On course, my average driving distance increased by 15 yards over three rounds with the Vice Pro Plus compared to four rounds before. My strokes gained with the driver decreased from -0.39 to -0.5 vs pro, indicating worse performance off the tee due to increased dispersion potentially.

Screenshot2024-07-04at21_06_09.png.320b2bcbc635ebbf762395dcc3fcae43.png

Short Game: My short game strokes gained improved by 0.42 strokes with the Vice Pro Plus, although this improvement might also be due to recent technical practice.

Conclusion: The Vice Pro Plus performs well, particularly with tighter dispersion on irons and increased driving distance. The wedge dispersion was a bit higher, and the paint drip design makes it harder to assess durability, which could affect performance. Overall, it's a solid ball, living up to most of its claims, but the spin data was not significantly different from my gamer ball.

Docking of 4 points for the following reasons:

• High dispersion in data in a controlled environment with wedges 
  • Decrease in distance with 7-iron with a key claim of the ball of increasing distance
  • SG Driving decrease, even with the substantial distance increase

On The Course: Vice Pro Plus Golf Ball (17 out of 20)

Off the Tee

Suddenly, I’ve turned into a beast off the tee. The ball has a ridiculously great flat flight. In two different rounds, I hit multiple drives that picked up strokes gained compared to pros, which is not usually my norm. If I were evaluating this ball based only on tee shot performance, it would definitely be in my bag today. All of my playing partners have been commenting on my increased distance off the tee, and since I haven’t played with the same partners while testing this ball, the consistency of their observations must mean something. Longest drive with Vice was 30 yards longer than my the longest drive in my previous four round prior to testing Vice. Granted there are lots of factors that tie into this but as mentioned in my data section, distance is up on average.

Approach

Approach play with the top end of my bag was solid, but I struggled to hit greens with 6-PW. I believe this was more about my own performance than the ball, as my misses weren't consistent. On a side note, I’ve had some frustrating range sessions trying to sort this out but feel I’ve made a small breakthrough recently.

Short Game

IMG_3353copy.jpg.77f1b9637be75efaa567b417d7c9a33c.jpg

Around the green, the Vice Pro Plus performed well. I was impressed with the consistent roll on bump and run shots, which I relied on frequently. Bunker play was particularly satisfying, offering a good mix of chunk-and-run shots and tight spinners. The ball reacted predictably, and I found myself surprising even myself with some of the bunker shots I pulled off.

Putting

No major complaints here. The sound was fine, and the feel was solid. Distance control took some practice, likely due to playing different courses with varying green speeds. The alignment aid was helpful, and I had no issues once adjusted.

Key Points

• Drives went further but with a bit more fade. Well-hit balls were monsters compared to my current gamer, and poor hits were comparable.
  • Ball flight was consistent in wind, performing predictably even in windy Belgium conditions.
  • Around the green, bump and run shots were reliable, and bunker play was surprisingly consistent with good control.
  • Putting distance control required practice, but overall performance was satisfactory.

Conclusion: The Vice Pro Plus offers excellent distance and predictability off the tee and in windy conditions. However, inconsistencies around the green and during approach shots in the wind reduce its overall score. While it may not be perfect for every situation, it's a strong contender for those prioritizing long game performance.

paint-drip ball at address

The Good, the Bad, the In-between (19/20)

I've been thoroughly impressed with the consistency and premium feel of these golf balls. Not only do they perform well, but they also have a sleek, high-quality look that stands out. Other golfers have complimented them, and the unique paint drip makes identifying my ball a breeze. The pricing model is fantastic—you get a premium-performing ball at a non-premium price. While I can find premium balls on sale for cheaper, the uncertainty of always getting that price makes it hard to commit. Knowing Vice Pro Plus will consistently be more cost-effective is a significant advantage.

On the downside, I haven't encountered any major issues, though they can feel a bit floaty in the wind—something to note if you play in windy conditions like I do in Belgium. The online fitting tool could use some work, as it seemed to prioritize certain areas over others, which may not suit everyone's needs.

IMG_3408copy.jpg.8431bab0fd38620b99d1a5d32dc00c0c.jpg

Play It or Trade It

Given the choice, I would definitely play the Vice Pro Plus in a big tournament or money game, with the caveat of opting for a solid colour or white instead of the paint drip. In fact, I put it in play for one round of my club championships and was impressed with its performance. The price is fantastic, offering premium performance at a great value. While I'm a big fan of the ball and the value it provides, I'd still like to compare it with the Vice Pro to determine which suits my game best. This ball is ideal for golfers looking for consistent performance without breaking the bank, particularly those who appreciate high-quality at a fair price. For me, it's a solid contender, though the final choice might depend on a head-to-head comparison with its sibling.

TL;DR

In a nutshell, the Vice Pro Plus golf ball has impressed me with its premium feel and consistent performance at a great price point. Unboxing these balls felt special, and their clean, sleek design stood out immediately. On the course, they delivered excellent distance off the tee and predictable performance even in windy conditions, which is crucial for my play in Belgium. The unique paint drip design made my ball easy to identify, although I’d opt for the solid colours for serious games. Despite minor issues like a slightly floaty feel in the wind and an online fitting tool that could be improved, the value this ball offers is undeniable. It’s ideal for golfers seeking a cost-effective, high-quality ball that doesn’t compromise on performance. After putting it to the test in my club championships, I’m eager to see how it stacks up against the Vice Pro, but for now, the Vice Pro Plus is a strong contender in my golf bag.

Pros

• Does have great short game spin as advertised
  • Data supports this is a long ball of the tee, with no real distance change with irons
  • Consistent performance

Cons

• Does not penetrate through wind in my experience
  • Average durability
Edited by hands39
final review
  • Callaway Epic Max LS
  • Cobra Radspeed 3w
  • TM RBZ 19º Hybrid
  • New Level 902-PD 5-PW 
  • Callaway Jaws 52
  • Cleveland RTX 56
  • Alien 60
  • Odessy Dual Force II CS#5 Putter

A big thank you to MGS for naming me as a tester. My name is John and this is my 47th season playing this wonderful game. I'm a former Marine and a combat veteran. Because of my previous career, I've been afforded the opportunity to play all over the world. I particularly loved playing in Japan. Having started back in 1977, I've seen a ton of technology get injected into the game. The equipment is now a far cry from the blades and wood heads that I learned on. I love the new technology because it has certainly kept the game fun for me all these years. My swing is no longer anything like it was in my younger years. I've had multiple spinal fusion surgeries and that has certainly slowed my speed down. The newest technological advances have made it possible for people like me to still be able to enjoy the game. The ball has advanced just as much as any club. They are a far cry from the wound batata balls from back in the day. I'm really looking forward to this test. 

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen6 TT Riptide CB 60 s

3 Wood: Ping G430 max Alta CB 65 s

Hybrids: Ping G430 19, 22, 26 Alta CB 70 s

Irons: Mizuno JPX923 forged 6-Gap TT DG 105 s

Wedges: Mizuno S23 54, 58 KBS HI-REV 2.0 115

Putter: LAB Mezz 1 max

Ball: Vice Pro Plus

Bag: Sun Mountain C-130S

Electronics: Bushnell Tour V6 shift, Bushnell ion elite  

Posted (edited)

Hello, My Golf Spy community! I’m Lefty11 aka Drew.  The “eleven” refers to my old playing number and my handicap on a good day.

I played some collegiate basketball many years ago and have always been passionate about sports, thanks to my father.  I also played baseball and dabbled in hockey. I am happily married and blessed with two lovely daughters.  Although I no longer compete in basketball, I stay connected as an official drawing from 26 years of experience at the travel and high school levels. I've had the pleasure of officiating with my dad and currently serve as the game assignor for our association in Ontario, Canada.

IMG_6392.jpeg.dca3620f36906bf828baf3f24cfee116.jpeg

I teach elementary school, so I'm constantly around children at home, at work, and on the basketball court.

IMG_6393.jpeg.3c6458393ca49527c18afa5194e503b8.jpeg

My uncle, an avid golfer, finally got me to try the sport, and I was instantly hooked.  Despite breaks due to family, work, and health, my passion for golf remains strong after 20 years.  

IMG_6394.jpeg.90bfb4e35c83db67b3cd9ddec0529d6e.jpeg

I’m excited to test the Vice Air golf ball, as  I’ve never played with them, but I’ve heard great things from people who have. I plan to assess the versatility of the Pro Air golf ball.  This ball is marketed for "all swing speeds" and it has a higher launch angle.  It seems this ball will suit players like me who are experiencing the effects of (Father time)  aka a decrease in swing speed.  If you have any questions or requests, feel free to ask throughout this test.

My goal is to compare the Vice Pro Air against the Callaway Chrome Soft and Taylormade TP5.  The cost of premium balls in Canada is outrageous, often north of $72 per dozen.  I want to see if Vice can deliver a similar performance at nearly half the price.  Golf costs are continually rising and finding value to me is important.  If the Vice Pro Air performs well, it might earn a spot in my bag.

Thank you to My Golf Spy and Vice Golf for this incredible opportunity!

Unboxing

Kudos to Vice for the quick delivery of my golf balls!  However, upon opening the box, I noticed it lacked bubble wrap or extra paper. While I understand golf balls are durable, I was expecting some extra protection.

IMG_6418.jpeg.3273b880c31e1af61853d91c6478c886.jpeg

Graphics 8.5/10

IMG_6419.jpeg.229dc688ae4ec49b954ee2ede9e00ae8.jpeg

The Pro Air box is a subdued green color, with the Pro Air golf ball prominently displayed.  However, the Pro Air golf ball is predominantly displayed on the box.  I appreciate the subtle choices they’ve made.

IMG_6415.jpeg.4d6f12628ba05394ceb3aa289ff7bf86.jpeg

Appearance 9/10

The Vice website doesn’t do justice to the actual color of these balls!  While I usually play yellow golf balls I am impressed with the green Vice.  Additionally, my daughter helped me pick the pink drip balls, and I must say I prefer them over the lime green!  

IMG_6417.jpeg.c562b2a7900ddb9e4fda876fcb5be3e1.jpeg

I do like the tapered look on the alignment aid.  Normally, I  draw a line on the alignment aid, but with these balls, I feel there is no need to do so.  The only change I would suggest is to make the alignment aid a touch larger,  However, this is just my personal preference.  

l noticed the Vice Air had a tacky or sticky feel to the touch, which I preferred over the slicker surfaces of other golf balls.

On The Course (19 /20)

Driver, hybrids, and irons—oh my! The ball flight is high and long, easily cutting through the wind.

IMG_6675.jpeg.849e7a871bcb7c537696de31113db738.jpeg

Approach & Ball Flight

The ball flight with the Vice Pro Air was high but not excessive. Off the driver, you'd get a few yards of runout when the ball hit the fairway. Approach shots with hybrids were a bit lower, but still performed well for me. Iron shots, as well as full wedge shots, were higher than the hybrids. I must admit, I am biased as I prefer a high ball flight.

Around The Green

The Vice Pro Air has a tacky or sticky feel to it, which I appreciate. Once the ball lands on the green from an iron, wedge, or hybrid shot, it bites well. I've even noticed some backspin (photo below), as documented with a photo in earlier posts.  Honestly, I was shocked at how well the Vice Pro Air reacted when hitting wedge shots into the greens. One or two bounces and the ball would stop, as I mentioned in earlier posts this is where the ball “shines or excels.”.  In other words, if you’re a short-game wizard this ball is the ball for you.

IMG_6688.jpeg.bbcdf85fa8db4b92149734abf644764e.jpeg

Putting

As I've stated before, this ball feels soft off the putter. It’s not too mushy, but it’s not overly firm either. My only real complaint about the Vice Pro Air is the time it took me to adjust to the feel of the putter. While it wasn't a deal-breaker, I realize now that I should have spent more time practicing on the putting green before using it.

IMG_6667.jpeg.358ade4b0c16004464079ebc0a503e00.jpeg

The Good, the bad, the in-between (16 out of 20)

The Good

The ball fits my game suitably.  Distance check, bite on the green check, high ball flight check.  The durability of this ball is fantastic, to say the least!  I used the same number 3 ball for all my rounds, and it held up remarkably well. There were no signs of wear until it encountered the trees and cart path.

The Bad

The downside? My only complaint is that I can't find this ball on a shelf in Canada. I know it might seem picky, but it would be great to pick up a dozen on a whim if needed.

IMG_6669.jpeg.685a0ca12a33e48ced5daa6288edaec5.jpeg

The In-between

When the Vice Pro Air arrived quickly, it was in a plain brown box, unlike other testers who received boxes covered with the Vice logo. While this is a small detail, it stood out to me. However, I appreciate the quick delivery, especially since I had a tournament that weekend.

Play It Or Trade It

It was difficult to hide my enthusiasm about the Vice Pro Air I found this ball to be a solid overall performer at an excellent price.  Even after several rounds with the same ball, its durability has been outstanding. My playing partners have noticed and commented positively on the ball, and they liked what they saw.

IMG_6653.jpeg.bc1c1a6e47b9a7f3fd399e01cd01c41b.jpeg

Here is a picture showing my ball mark and where the ball spun off the green.

Conclusion

As with any piece of golf equipment, I understand that preferences are subjective.

It’s been hard to conceal my admiration for the Vice Pro Air. This ball checks all the boxes: soft feel, high launch, solid distance, durability, reasonable price, excellent bite on the greens, and high visibility. 

I attempted to obtain numbers (distance, spin rate etc)  from an indoor golf facility, but they were closed until the fall. It only occurred to me recently to visit our local golf store and utilize their simulator. I'll remember this for future testing opportunities.  My apologies!

As I mentioned earlier, if you're a short game is your forte, give this ball a try. If you're still fine-tuning your short game, you might want to look elsewhere.   In my honest opinion, the Vice Pro Air is an all-around solid ball. Congrats, Vice—you’ve won me over! This ball is staying in my bag, and I'll be buying more.

Final Score: 92/100

Edited by Lefty11
Fixing things

Ping 425 

18* hybrid

22* hybrid

irons - Callaway rogue

Putter - Odyssey AI one 2 ball DB 35¨

Posted (edited)

Hello everyone, my name is Steve, and my wife and I live in a small town in the middle of what the locals call “MidMichigan”.   We raised two daughters, one of which has given us three grandsons!  We took the oldest grandson (Steven 😊) who is 6, to play putt-putt golf for the first time last weekend he loved it, I can’t wait for the day he can join his dad and I on the course.

IMG_8099.jpeg.d98fd70aa776930c28f95dc0143e3431.jpeg

I got a late start to college, but after seven years working full time, raising a family and attending college at night, I got my bachelor’s degree in computer information systems and have been an IT professional for 30 years. I hope to retire in another 4 or 5 years and really concentrate on golf!

After the girls were gone, my first aortic valve replacement (a story for another time) and my house was paid off, I explained to my wife that life was too short not to do the things you love as much as possible.  She agreed and I got a membership at my home course and joined a second league.  I play two 9-hole leagues Wednesday and Thursday evenings and I try to get out at least every other weekend and play 18 at other courses. I advertise a 13 handicap, which is an educated guess and not official, but based on 80% of my average score.  I’ve had two holes in one, both par 3’s on the back nine at my home course. And I have been very close on both on the front nine. 

20240601_082956.jpg.28fc3f5f4e9646ee1cf1ec29ddae3d8a.jpg

So close on Hole 6, 150 yards!

20141002_132116.jpg.55932868bc6b28507a2cd6172092f4cf.jpg

This is my first testing opportunity and I hope to do it justice.  When it comes to golf balls I love the high-end balls, but am not willing to pay full price.  I have played many a found ProV1, and have been gifted a dozen, but I have never bought them.  I have purchased and played TP5’s and Chrome Soft with coupons or discounts of some sort, and liked both very much.  Balls that I have played consistently are/were Bridgestone B330 RX and the replacement B RX, last year I played Maxfli Tour and this year I bought 4 dozen Maxfli Tour S.  I got them for $110 and got a discount for signing up for text alerts also, and they ended up under a $100. They are very good balls for the price in my opinion.  

20240601_083214.jpg.d4dcbac366cee01e081f514f805ff13e.jpg

image.png.0d2e8ea306ca065ccd9d253e3c9e450c.png

I've never purchased a Vice ball, but for no reason really, I just never considered them with all of the other options out there.  I’ve looked at the details for the PRO AIR and it is a similar ball in construction and compression to the Maxfli I am playing now, so I am excited to do a comparison of the two.  I watched some reviews of the Pro Air and my Maxfli, and if accurate, it sounds like the Vice ball flight is higher and the spin around the greens may be better. My drive distance is one of my weaknesses, with 90-95 average swing speed I probably average 210, and if I crush it, I only get 230 without some elevation or wind help.  I  have a pretty low ball flight with the Maxfli and driver, so hopefully I can get more distance with the Vice.  My course has firm and fast greens, so a little more bite on the irons and wedges and chips would not hurt either.

If can get more driver distance and improved chipping and iron check-up, that would justify the slightly higher price of $132 for the discounted 4 dozen purchase, and I would switch to them without hesitation.

I have been using Golfshot App this year and have stats that I can compare to once I get a few rounds in with the Vice.  Playing my home course it will be easy to tell if I gain any distance off the tee with the Vice Pro Air.  Thanks MGS and Vice for the opportunity to test these!

Unboxing and first impressions

Edited by Skrizan

PING G410 Driver and 3 metal, Callaway Hybrids, Cobra F9 irons, Callaway wedges, Scotty Cameron Phantom X7.5 putter

Posted (edited)

HELLO 👋🏻 MGS! 

My name is Evan and for the past 3 years, I have developed a big-ole passion for the beautiful game of golf. 

3CBCA6AF-8E39-40EE-8EF6-07F68E7F1B13.jpeg.d04e044db43ddc45dc773d14ad4eeb97.jpeg

D30A0064-C331-4C5F-81D9-679713A40EB5.jpeg.c885952a670070b562f549789ce39b96.jpeg

A little about me,

I’m the ripe young age of 30 (ripe is relative) and love my wonderful wife, 2-year old daughter, and 4 ducks (Gimpy, Gayle, Gerdy, and Gwen). I am a practicing physical therapist who manages a outpatient orthopedic clinic who works with all orthopedic surgeries, joint replacements, athletic injuries, and plenty of low back pain (golfers, stop over compressing right side lumbar vertebrae please!). During my spare time, I enjoy spending time with the family, yard work, playing drums, and of course, GOLF. 

As previously mentioned, I have been playing for 3 years now but have been surrounded by golfers my entire life. My dad always played in business tournaments with his company and my father-in-law has done the same. I got into golf due to having FOMO (fear of missing out) and always being left behind at home when my family and friends played a round on the weekends (insert “awwww” sound bite).

I have played sports my entire life (football basketball, and baseball) from adolescents through adulthood. I have always been athletic and have had a natural apt for coordination and knowing how my body reacts in space. Part of this was why I got into the field of physical therapy (exercise, sports, anatomy, kinesiology etc…). Due to my passion for golf but also science and kinesiology, I attained a TPI (Titleist Performance Institute) swing analyst certification which allows me to analyze golf swings and individuals range of motion, strength, and coordination when it comes to their individualized golf swing.

495CA900-3F00-404B-844C-D596DC7235A4.jpeg.37466f339eb0c662f58581a758191b2b.jpeg

I am a weekly golfer whether it be on the course or on my home simulator with the Garmin Approach R10. Handicap of +18 and my motto is “bogey golf is good golf” but I’m always pushing to better myself! I’m very analytical and love to look at the data behind my swing and ball specs. Really enjoy testing multiple different balls (currently on Callaway Chrome Tour) and how they compare on course and on the sim. I play in the North Georgia area, so we get a very wide and dynamic weather/conditions to play in. 

I am very appreciative to test and report on the new lineup of Vice golf balls (specifically the Vice Tour). I will be utilizing my home simulator with the Garmin Approach R10 to gain specifics on the Vice Tour regarding all metrics in regards to the golf ball (minus club metrics when appropriate). They will be compared to the Callaway Chrome Tour (higher end golf ball) to see how they stack up against each other. 

28916D3E-C800-4F7A-98D5-93B69C62EEA1.webp.172f69999bd112b4db0066943f13482a.webp

The Vice Tour has the potential to stay in my bag if it PERFORMS of course! I’m looking for lower spin off tee (2500-3000 rpm for my swing), medium ball flight off tee (higher with irons), the ball checks/bites around green side chips, and a medium feel (not too soft and not rock hard). Another big factor is my carry distances are consistent. An exciting opportunity to test a very affordable golf ball that can perform on the course. 

Currently, I see the company and golf ball by Vice as a cost friendly option that is more “trendy” rather than competitive in performance with bigger brands (Callaway, Titleist, etc…) Vice Tour seems like the most affordable option and most generalized golf ball in the lineup being tested. $21-22 per dozen is a big winner in my pocket and conscience if it performs on the course. With the recent changes to the Vice lineup, I’m very anticipatory and excited to see how they perform across the board! 

Please message me if you have any specific questions. ALSO, follow my YouTube page to see video reviews of golf related topics regarding the Vice golf ball, golf outings, and general home, music, and family vlogs! 

https://youtube.com/@sudds_budds?si=vaEyh-2rdO1U0S9j

Unboxing: 

https://youtube.com/shorts/cVCYM8m5edQ?si=9LqtvjGhHu3SIJda

Check out this short unboxing video of the Vice Tour golf balls! 

Overall, pleased with packaging and marketing. I can tell a lot of thought and creativity went into the product! Love the gloss wording against the matte finish background on the box. My wife calls these Vice golf balls “boutique” balls comparing them to more heavily rooted and known golf brands. She guessed price point of these at $35-$42 when retail they are $21.99.
88E276E3-DB7C-4DAC-9736-FDD3394AB25E.jpeg.d09edcd39a6c87771c3cee1341040734.jpeg

670484F3-C576-4B4C-B998-68CC7D78B605.jpeg.3efe14111f74f2aa99eb8a8862ec6319.jpeg

The inside packaging and branding are fun to see with each individual sleeve coming together to create a whole picture. 
48330A3A-E884-4A1B-ADB7-31ABB1CEF848.jpeg.507c827dbbe5cc9d162800869b2137ab.jpeg

8A3C5251-31B6-4317-82BF-E800CC5E12E5.jpeg.681bf575279b2bc6f3d7414748f3f063.jpeg

After playing a round, I did notice one golf ball had aesthetic flaws with the alignment aide and a slightly lighter font on the word, “Vice.” The durability seemed to be fair to normal for a urethane covered golf ball. 
62D18893-7456-4D5F-8E3D-160BAD576203.jpeg.b9c7d2757d8ff2e9ab33182af910209b.jpeg7A82A0A9-216F-4E57-B19C-B0E178E32B29.jpeg.bd6396a5354b77a33ce7ef298383e817.jpeg

These balls did have a tackier and rubbery feel to them compared to other urethane covered golf balls. They even made squeaky noises when rubbing two of them together. (Insert innuendo about rubbing two balls together.)

The dimple pattern seems scattered to my eye with reported 312 “large” dimples. I found myself distracted by the pattern when putting and approach shots.

Overall, happy with the marketing and packaging. Creative look, feel, and information to provide an interesting and appealing product to snag off a shelf! I am disappointed with the one golf ball having the aesthetic flaws compared to the rest. It did not have any performance differences. It makes it seem like a “not thought out” or lazy packaging when golf balls differ from one another. Also increased tackiness and dimple pattern left little to be desired. 
Aesthetics: 7/10

First Impressions: 

check out this short video with commentary while playing with the Vice Tour golf ball! 

initial thoughts regarding Vice Tour golf ball. I hit several approach shots over the green with my usual club selections and putting seemed slower than average (potentially due to dimple pattern and tackiness of ball). So if “further” is a claim Vice is making with the Tour lineup, they hit it on the head. By like 10 yards! The soft feel off driver and irons are nice but still have the ability to make a crisp click sound with good ball contact. (Depends on what type of club you’re using as well). Durability seems average with your typical color changes and stains of grass and mud. Not surprised/caught off guard by anything with first 9 hole round as far as performance (other than long and slower putts). Will be interested to set up simulator and get some data behind these balls. I am glad to see it has my typical ball flight (fade) without being too spiny.
First Impression Grade: 7/10

Edited by TheSudds
First Impressions

Thanks,

Evan Suddeth PT, DPT, CSCS, TPI

Greetings all!  My name is Patrick and I recently retired from ministry after serving 43 years as a pastor.  I am also a licensed journeyman electrician.  Golf has been my passion for over 60 years.  I played one year of collegiate golf before winning the lottery.  My lottery prize was an all expense paid induction into the United States Army, as a member of the last group to have ever been conscripted.  That was over 50 years ago!

I have been a club builder/repair person since the early 1990’s.  When my game is on I can still shoot in the mid-to-upper 70’s.  Senior tees, of course!  When the weather man cooperates I try to hit the Links about half dozen times per month.

A few years ago I did a back yard practice range setup with a net and golf mat.  That really helps to keep my swing intact!  My launch monitor is an Earnest Sports ES12, which only gives me ball speed and carry.  But that is good enough for me.

My Vice balls have not arrived yet, but I am anxious to get started!  As reported, I am in my 70’s and dont hit it very far these days.  I will try to gear my testing with you other slow swing speed seniors in mind.

Internet here is slow, so I am only posting one pic.  Here I am at the 2022 Open Championship, Old Course, St. Andrews, Scotland.

UPDATE:

Finally home from the trip that I was on before the balls arrived.  Thankfully a neighbor rescued them from my front porch before any potential porch pirates got to them!  I was immediately impressed with the packaging.  Quite clever to turn each sleeve a different direction in the box to make a full page ad.  I was also pleased to see how uncluttered and simple the logo is.  The alignment aid is also simply stated, but I don't use them.  Because I play right handed, but am left eye dominant I find it better when putting to turn the ball so that I see only white.  The simplicity of the logo and alignment aid make that easy to do with these balls.

IMG_3215(1).JPG.e9abd296d1fa7397517f9679c80165c1.JPG

Next up is a trip to my net with the launch monitor.  I will be pitting the Vice against my Titleist TruFeel and Chrome soft gamers.  Plan to also hit some putts on the putting track.

Methodology

I chose to test the Vice Tour balls via a three-step process:  First, at my backyard net with launch monitor.   Next, via my Perfect Practice putting mat.   Using these two methods eliminate some of the variables of on-course play.  Finally, I played several rounds with the Vice balls.  Plus, I enlisted the help of three of my regular golf buddies for on-course evaluations.

Practice Net

IMG_3256.JPG.0caf974ff94a4c10e97cb033a4eafde7.JPG

My clubs of choice were Driver and 7-iron.  I hit a dozen shots with the Vice, Titleist Tru-feel, and  Chrome Soft balls.  The Titleist and Chrome Soft are my usual gamers.   Only my best six shots are used in the comparison.  Please bear in mind that I am 72 years old and don’t hit the ball very far  these days.  Distance itself should not matter as much as the comparison of distance.  Also I graded according to feel and sound.

Distance with Driver
TruFeel:  181.6 yds (carry)
Chrome Soft: 180.1 yds (carry)
Vice Tour: 176.3 yds (carry)

Takeaway
I though the Vice Tour felt a bit sluggish off the driver, and measurements seem to indicate as much.  Although the difference was only four yards, which is less than one club for the approach shot.  Accuracy was about the same for all three models.

Feel and sound
While this is a totally subjective measurement, it does matter to golfers.  As stated, the Vice Tour seem a bit sluggish, but had a really nice “click” upon impact.  Reminded me a lot of the sound a ProV1 makes when stuck solidly

Distance with 7-iron
TruFeel: 132.7 yds (carry)
Chrome Soft: 131.0 yds (carry)
Vice Tour: 129.5 yds

Feel and sound
I notice very little difference in either feel or sound off the irons with any of the three balls.  Perhaps the Trufeel felt a bit more firm, but not enough to worry about.  

Putting Mat

IMG_3252.JPG.2b6b57dd1539c071263de5481b21b423.JPG
Again this is a rather subjective test.  All three balls rolled true.  But I will give a slight edge to the Vice Tour for feel off the putter.  One thing that I really liked is the minimal markings on the Vice ball.  I don’t like to use a line on the ball when putting.  This is because I play right handed, but I am very left-eye dominant.  When I putt, I like to position me ball so that I see nothing but white.  This was much easier to accomplish with the Vice Tour.

On Course Play

wyndham-resort-at-fairfield.jpg.2bbe165fcda77e48780197d0e6ea80bb.jpg
Again, we are in the realm of the somewhat subjective opinions.  I really had no way to measure distance on the golf course.  Plus conditions changed several times while testing.  Distance-wise it was hard to see any meaningful distance between my gamers and the Vice Tour.  Without doubt the Chrome Soft held the green better on approach shots and chips.  The TruFeel was a close second.  But this is where the Vice Tour lagged behind.  I didn’t care for the roll out on chips, and long approach shots sometimes seem to ricochet right off the putting surface.

Golf Buddy insights
My three “Guinea pigs” were  Mark, John and Russell.  Mark typically shoots in the mid 80's, Russell is  a mid 80's-low 90's golfer.  But John carries a 6 handicap and almost always shoots in the 70's.

Mark said, “Compared to my Maxlfi Tour S the Vice seem a bit softer (especially when chipping.)  Fulls shots were very similar, but the Vice was about 3 yards longer off the tee.  All in all I would call this test a draw between the two.”

John said, “The Vice ball had a nice sound, felt good , and flew well.  But I could not get the darn thing to hold a green.  For that reason alone I would not play the Vice Tour.”

Russell said, “The Vice Tour felt about the same off the club as my usual ball (ProV1.)  I don’t hit enough greens to make a decent determination, but the ball felt good chipping and seemed to roll out a bit more than the Titleist.  But the difference in cost would definitely steer me towards the Vice Tour.”

Final thoughts/analysis
The Vice Tour is a decent choice for Senior Golfers who are on fixed income.  They are dependable, good quality, and a nice price point.  If you are looking for a ball that spins around the greens and on approach shots, then this is likely not the ball for you.  But, if you want something that is aesthetically pleasing to eye, easy on the pocket book, and dependable in performance, then you cannot go wrong with the Vice Tour!  

For me personally, this ball will not replace my current gamers.  I still have a high single digit handicap and can shoot in the 70's when my health holds up.  So, not likely to use the Vice Tour in a tournament.  
One last thing... I play on Bermuda greens which, typically will not hold shots the way Bentgrass does.  So, please take that into account when reading my review.

Thanks!

I really appreciate the opportunity to serve as a tester for Vice Golf!  Being a first time tester means that I probably have a lot left to learn about the process, but I certainly enjoyed this initial ride!  Now I am off to spectate the 152nd Open Championship at Royal Troon!

IMG_9173.jpeg

I don’t carry a fairway wood…

Posted (edited)

Hi everyone.

My name is Jyoti and I’m a relative newbie to golf and MyGolfSpy. I first went on a golf course in November 2023 and I joined the MGS forum in February this year. So being a golf tester is a wholly new activity for me. I so appreciate the opportunity to be a tester of the Vice Drive ball, but the bottom line is this:  I need help to do this job properly and you can help me by asking me the questions you want answered. I cannot be sure that I will be able to answer those questions, but be certain that I will have a real go at this.

I grew up in New Delhi, India and have lived on the edge of London, England for over thirty years. Cricket has been my game and my golfing friends say that I bring a cricket stroke to my golf play. So much to unlearn… If you have seen the picture of me putting before, it is on a post that relates how the ball (looking so good to end up in the hole) ended up as far on the other side of the hole as I was when I hit it. 

Messingupthe5thagain.jpg.31667e93690c7bbd3405dfa8fa1c4e21.jpg

My wife and I have two kids in their mid twenties. It was our son who asked me what we were going to play together now that I was no longer playing cricket. His suggestion was golf. I thought that was such a strange suggestion given that neither he nor I had ever played golf. But his point was that we both start from ground zero and learn the game.  Since then my wife has started learning the game too. And my daughter’s husband plays the game. So we are being drawn in as a family, with my daughter the only hold-out.

I don’t have an official handicap as yet, but Shot Scope is estimating something in the region of 28. My driver ball speed ranges from 135-140mph, so I am a good fit to the slow-medium swing speed match with the Vice Drive ball.  I believe the Vice Pro Air could also be a match as a premium ball, and I am hoping to compare a budget ball to a premium ball to see what each brings to a golfer like me. Of course, my main comparator ball is a Mizuno RB566, an ionomer ball I picked as my gamer as it claimed to fly for longer on slower swing speeds.

Shot Scope’s Strokes Gained metric tells me that my short game is my best feature (and my putting, it seems, needs a lot of work). But if you need to know how well the Vice Drive ball spins back when it lands next to the pin, you will have to check somebody else’s review for that kind of detail. I am not conscious that the ball (any ball) has ever spun back when I have played it. So not that good a short game player, Shot Scope.

Of course, I’ll be keen to see how Vice’s claims for the ball stack up in my own experience of it. In the main, they are focused on distance and durability as their points of focus. We’ll see.

The one thing I find interesting with Vice is the availability of balls in different colours. I have never played a red or pink ball, but my wife really likes a red Callaway she found on the course. We play at Sunbury Golf Club and at this time of the year a number of trees release a white fluff that gathers on the ground around them. A number of these trees line the fairways. Just miss the fairway and you can kiss goodbye to your ball in all the white fluff.

So I set up a little experiment. I placed a white ball in the fluff and took a picture. Can you see the ball?

Whiteballinwhitefluff-SunburyGllfClub.jpg.87a013ce9e794d55ccbc7002e3cac7dd.jpg

If you found it, congratulations - the small fortune you have invested in white balls is completely safe. If you did not, look again - middle of the picture and down to the bottom. You may need to see the next picture. 

Then I moved to a slightly fluffier area and placed a yellow ball and a red ball - my wife's fave Callaway Supersoft in matte red - next to the white ball, and took another picture. If your eyes are like my 60+ year old eyes, I find the red ball much easier to locate. So I have asked for my test balls to be the Neon Pink variety that Vice offers.

Colouredballsinwhitefluff-SunburyGllfClub.jpg.85aea8979c9a67134169489be466ee03.jpg

Looking forward to the arrival of the balls.

UNBOXING

Yes, a box has arrived from Vice Golf. It's a brown cardboard box just like millions of other cardboard boxes. 

2024ViceDriveBallReviewMGSGreen4Spinach-19.jpg.0e2f59419fcafeeb0d99a7c1501e1ed4.jpg

But turn it upside down and there's more...

2024ViceDriveBallReviewMGSGreen4Spinach-18.jpg.e3c3140996dfc6b0982a2bf14c5c9818.jpg

So much advice - and such good quality advice at that. I can already feel my handicap lowering as I absorb Vice's inputs. 

If you have read my earlier material, you will know that I picked a pink ball. So I should not have been surprised by the strongly saturated colours of Vice's packaging. 

The Drive itself is remarkably pink. Never having played a pink ball before I was not sure what to expect, especially as my main comparator was a white ball I have played for five months of a seven month-long golfing career: Mizuno’s RB566. Jazz pink versus classical white. Let the auditions begin.

2024ViceDriveBallReviewMGSGreen4Spinach-15.jpg.3ef1aa5fbe7c9c12758aa0fecf1720a8.jpg

Vice's packaging is very clear in setting out the manufacturer’s stall – this ball is all about the tee shot. Hence, the name, Drive. “Spring-like activation off the tee.” Do you get the message? This is a distance ball. With durability as a close second virtue. Or should I say vice?

Of course, the Drive’s distance card is pulling me in. Maybe ball flight is not so important as my golfing skills improve to the point I can get most of my shots to fly.

The Drive’s other calling card is durability. I must admit, as a new golfer, durability has not featured as an important thread in my golf conversations. I lose the ball long before playing it becomes an issue. Still, I was curious how the ball would stand up to the firmer, drier conditions that June in southern England was offering.

2024ViceDriveBallReviewMGSGreen4Spinach-03.jpg.38fa7cdf6ef18e78f83b5f0266e692c0.jpg

Of course, my gamer Mizuno - the RB566 - will be the main comparator. 

2024ViceDriveBallReviewMGSGreen4Spinach-05.jpg.1b60e9b474f0d5b0a35b0b301cbb5362.jpg

The Mizuno ball’s name highlights its key aerodynamic innovation: 566 dimples that fly the ball higher. As a new golfer I searched the market for a ball that would get my strikes off the ground. The reviews of the RB566 seemed to indicate the Mizuno was just what the doctor ordered. Then I saw the price. One online retailer was offering a 3 for 2 deal on the Mizuno, bringing the price per ball very close to £1 per ball. Or about a quarter of the price of the Titleist ball that my son describes as the 15th club in his bag.

But in my sixth month of playing golf, and discovering in a driver fitting that my swing speed was around 90mph, was the Mizuno the right ball for me? Did Vice Drive offer me something I did not have?

2024ViceDriveBallReviewMGSGreen4Spinach-07.jpg.6ab70541d351807af9269b8fe368077c.jpg

Performance

I don’t have access to a launch monitor – so my Shot Scope GPS watch with tracking tags is the only way to provide you with empirical data. My P-average for driver (Shot Scope language for my typical driving distance on a good shot) was 216 yards with the Mizuno. Now Shot Scope has upped my driver number to 233 yards, as the Drive starts impacting my driver data.

Is the Drive a long ball? Well, it is longer than the RB566. My long drives with the RB566 would cross 235 yards. But the Vice Drive crosses 250 yards on a regular basis, and my longest drive was last weekend when my ten year old Titleist hand-me-down driver hit a 271 yarder. Not bad for a 61 year old with 8 months of golfing experience - at least that's what I say to my son.

Teeing up the Vice Drive

Of course, the courses in June are drier and drives are bouncing further. And I might - I live in hope here - I just might be getting better with my swing. So I pulled out an RB566 to compare. My longest drive over the last weekend was 261 yards with the RB566. But the Drive produced three drives in the same round that were longer.

So, the Vice Drive is great as a driving ball. What about its short game aptitude, I hear you ask?

Right up front let me say I am less happy here. The Drive was completely different from the Mizuno in my ability to control how it landed on the green and where it ended up after landing. Irons would approach the green and continue bouncing on. The Drive is a firm ball, and is about as different from the Mizuno as it is possible to be. The RB566 is a soft compression ball, and performs decently with wedges, despite an unpromising ionomer cover. The Drive matches exactly what you expect from an ionomer cloak – less than sparkling wedge performance.

My putting is pretty poor – Shot Scope identifies it as my weakest skill. I have put very little time into putting practice compared to the three other skills, and I find I have not yet learned to aim properly.  I was surprised how much harder I found it was to adjust to the Drive’s putting speed. The firmness of the ball made it a different proposition to the Mizuno.

signal-2024-06-10-142320_002.jpeg.e0dabb94cd3048915ace31600a050b3d.jpeg

I want to be clear on this. It’s not that the Vice is wrong and Mizuno is right. It’s just that I had no understanding that one ball could be so different from another. I am clear on one thing as a result of this test: get to know one ball. Play with that ball. Practice with that ball. Don’t mess around with multiple balls if you care about improving your golf game. Yes, it’s a bit rich getting golfing advice from a newbie, but this one fact about golf balls just sticks out a country mile.

Does this ball work?

Vice Drive - is this the ball for me? Yes, and no. I did not like how I felt about my short game with the Drive. Perhaps it is just a matter of time before I learn how to play wedges with the Drive.

Or maybe the urethane Vice Pro Air, which promises a spinny, touchy-feely upgrade to the ionomer Drive, could be the ball for me.

But the bottom line has to be overall performance. Here I want to show you my Shot Scope metrics for Strokes Gained. As I don’t have a handicap yet, I have been comparing my strokes to 25 handicappers. Prior to the arrival of the Drives, here’s how I fared across three months of play.

da20ec56622a99514169107e5a2d139e65550cc88a3d22254eca7fd8571afa78.jpg.2f24063b1b610db8ee5939e119082286.jpg

My short game holds up my game, and my putting is poor poor poor. The net effect is that I am 3.78 strokes down from a 25 handicapper. 

And here’s how I fared in the four weeks after the Vice Drive became my golf ball. I am now 1.61 strokes ahead of a 25 handicapper.

91ab2c5c7ddd80afec245df89007556ede845d45a5ddae151dd31a941a521fcb.jpg.cb3a29e77e29e94ab53e50021eaadd4a.jpg

In effect, I gained 5.3 strokes, just playing Vice Drive for a month. Every metric is better. Except for short game, which is still better than a typical 25 handicapper, but not as good as with the Mizuno. 

I can now see why Shot Scope is such a fan of distance. Longer distance translates to lower scores. The further you are along the fairway, the easier it is to get to the green. Bottom line, the Vice Drive has demonstrably improved my golf play. Even though I still don’t know how to putt – but getting better at putting is what I am targeting as my summer objective.

My short game is what I currently do best. So I don’t want to lose that for the sake of distance. What I want is a ball that gives me distance and gives me control. At the same time. Perhaps I need to upgrade from ionomer balls to urethane balls? The Vice Drive has allowed me to spy my future. I now know where I want to go.

First impressions: 20/20 – Vice seems like a company that wants its customers to have fun. Somehow that message comes across loud and clear.

Aesthetics: 9 /10 – attractive packaging and brightly coloured balls which seem really durable. But I have taken a mark down for the shiny finish on the ball. I prefer a matte finish, which seems easier to find, especially when the grass is glistening in sunlight.

Performance: 9/10 – what is there not to like about a ball that takes my Strokes Gained metric from –3.78 to +1.61 in one month? I wish, though, that the short game performance was better.

On the course: 18/20 – if you are looking for a distance ball, this is such a good ball. But I have deducted a couple of points for the firmness of feel.

The good, bad and ugly: 19/20 – the Drive is a value ball. Vice’s DTC model seems to work just fine and is delivering a high quality product, for around £1.60 a ball. If you order five dozen at a time, the price is down to just over £1 per ball. No complaints there. But some of the colours are sold out on the website. To me, that makes no sense in the DTC business.

Play it or trade it? 16/20 – Did I play my best golf? In terms of strokes, I did better than I have ever done before. Do I want more from a ball? Astonishingly, yes. I want distance AND control. And the £1 price point too. Pretty please. With cherries on top…

Conclusion

Tiger’s advice when choosing a ball: go for “a more forgiving golf ball with a softer compression that fits your swing speed. Forgiveness is your friend, use it to your advantage.” Is the Vice Drive a softer compression ball? Only if your current gamer is Bryson’s ball. Or a small rock you found on the golf course. But the Drive’s firmness gives it distance. And distance might be the single most important shot tracking metric that improves your scores. Hesitate to pull out your credit card for this ball only if you also want top short game performance. But remember, your credit card will love the price – this Distance ball is also a Value ball.

As auditions go, I loved my time with the Vice Drive.

Final Score (91 out of 100)

Edited by Green4Spinach
Finalising and completing the review

* Titleist 915 D2 - Accra iW4

* Callaway Rogue ST Max 5FW

* Mizuno JPX Fli-Hi 4 and 5 hybrids

* Callaway Steelhead XR 5-PW

* Ping Glide 4 50 and 56 / Callaway Mack Daddy 2 60

* Odyssey White Hot OG 7

* Mizuno RB566

* Shot Scope X5

Posted (edited)

Got my Vice Drive balls.  Can't wait to get started if it will stop raining.

About Me!  I'm at the upper end of my 60's (not me score), Moved from AZ to KS about 3 years ago.  Ottawa is a small town and we have Ottawa CC.  Was built in the 1920's and is only 2 miles from the homestead.  Been playing since I was in my teens. No lessons except 3 in the  last year.  Had to iron out some kinks from not playing

The Product!   The balls were package very nice. Upon opening NO damage anywhere.  They look very nice.  My first impression was a nice. The logo was good and I really like the lineup mark.

The Future!  I've got new Callaway Edge clubs and I' anxious to pair them up. End of the month heading to Lake of The Ozark, Old Kinderhook Resort for a golf weekend

Keep you all posted and thanks to all for putting up with me and getting this posted

IMG_4604.jpg

IMG_4605.jpg

IMG_2340.jpeg

Edited by Mulligan09

Dennis

Congrats, testers!

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

Congratulations testers. I’m currently playing Oncore Elixirs. Maybe Vice has a ball for me. Hoping to learn something.

image.png.ec65754993cb81a3d0a7d15c70ab8fd1.png  Anyday Maverick Black Ops 7-way

:PXG: 0311 Black Ops 8° w/Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 60

:PXG: 0311 XF 3 wood 16° w/Fujikura Motore X F3

:PXG:0211 Hybrid 3 19° w/Project X Even Flow Riptide

:ping-small: G410 Crossover 4 w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue 70

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym X 6 - GW w/True Temper Elevate MPH Official Forum Test

:vokey-small: SM9 54°/12° D and 58°/12° D w/KBS Tour 110

image.png.0f5b009ff3d83fdae5e2e361f9676226.png DF3 w/BGT Stability ONE Forum Test

Shot Scope Pro LX+ Pro LX+ Official Forum Test

:titleist-small: Pro V1 

:Clicgear: 3.5+

Tests No Longer in the Bag

:EVNROLL: ER11v 34”  Evnroll ER11v Official Forum Test

On 5/27/2024 at 3:26 AM, GolfSpy_APH said:

2.jpg

Please welcome and congratulate our ten testers!

Vice Pro Plus - @storm319 @hands39 

Vice Pro - @Bubba1985 @Usmcgyrene 

Vice Pro Air - @Lefty11 @Skrizan 

Vice Tour - @TheSudds @Dukhook52 

Vice Drive - @Green4Spinach @Mulligan09

Congrats testers!!! I'm a fan of the Vice balls and am really interested to see how the new generation work for you all. I'm definitely interested in the Vice Pro and Tour balls, as those are what I'd play myself. Good luck all!!

In My Sun Mountain C-130 'merica Cart Bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver, 11.5*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 3w, 15*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 5w, 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939x 4H (21*), Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 80g
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: S23, 54* & 60*, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter: Maltby Moment X Tour @ 35" & 71*, Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, White/Red
Ball: :maxfli: Tour & Testing :OnCore: Vero X1
Technology: :ShotScope: H4 w/ Tags, Pro L2 Rangefinder

Congrats to the testers! I've been playing the Pro Softs and with their recent demise, got some of the Air's - looking forward to trying them out!

--------------------------------------------------------------
Driver -  :taylormade-small: Qi10 9.5°, Ventus VeloCore
3W -  :taylormade-small: Sim2Max 15°
3H -  :taylormade-small: Jetspeed 19°
Irons -  :callaway-small: Paradym Ai Smoke 5-GW
Wedges -  :cleveland-small: CBX4 ZipCore 54°, 60°
Putter -  :odyssey-small: White Hot OG Double Wide Stroke Lab
:Arccos: sensors 

Congrats testers! There's a pretty wide range of products being tested here, I'm looking forward to seeing how they all work out for you.

In my Big Max hybrid bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D200 6i-GW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:maxfli: Tour S

Congratulations testers!  Played the Vice Pro previously and was quite impressed, looking forward to your thoughts on the new lineup!

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

Congrats to the Vice ball testers!  Even though I didn't get selected (again!) I've been playing Vice balls for the last year or so and really like them.  They definitely help my game and are pretty responsive.  If you've never played them I think you will be surprised! 

PXG Gen6 0311 driver 9 degree with Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g stiff shaft

Tour Edge Exotics C722 2 hybrid (17 degree)

Tour Edge Exotics CBX 119 3 hybrid (20 degree)

Callaway Mavrik 5 hybrid (23 degree)

PXG 0311XP Gen3 irons 6-PW

Wedges: Edel 48 degree;  Cleveland RTX Fullface 52 degree; Cleveland Smartsole 58 degree

Odyssey White Hot Tour #5 putter

Congrats testers!

Excited to hear about the new Vices, particularly the Air and the Tour which is what the online fitting tool had suggested for me. Should be a fun test for you all

WITB

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Qi10 Max

Hybrid: 🐏 FX Max 5h

5i-9i: 🐏 FX Max 10

Wedges: :titleist-small: 48°, 52°, 56°

Putter:  :mizuno-small: M.Craft Type VI

Ball: :odin:

Congrats to all testers! Looking forward to your results and comments.

TSR1, 9*, TPT Nitro 17 Lo

TSR1, 15*, TPT Power Range Fairway 17 Lo 

TSR2, Hybrid, 18*, TPT Power Range Hybrid 17 Lo

RBZ Tour4 Hybrid, 21.5*, S 

T-200, (2023), 5-PW,  SteelFiber, i95cw, S 

Vokey Design, 50,54,58, Dynamic Gold S200

Studio Select, Newport 1.5

ELIXR (2022), MaxFli Tour S (2024)

4 minutes ago, Dead Solid Bogey said:

I ‘ll be awaiting your results… Keep them out of the water/bayous..From my limited experience with your state that seemed to be my favorite landing spot with my golf shots😏🥴😉……. Congrats and good luck. 

I got a plan for that.. I'm going to put a small piece of the green on a hook and see if I can get the golf balls in the water to bite! 😉

:PXG:Bubba Ivy 

On 5/27/2024 at 4:26 AM, GolfSpy_APH said:

2.jpg

Vice Golf released their new line of golf balls earlier this year. This was their first big refresh and update in the last four years and includes a new model in their lineup, the Vice Pro Air. The updates, however, are not limited to just a new golf ball as improvements have been introduced to each of the other four golf ball options. 

About Vice Golf 

Vice Golf is changing or, rather, evolving. A recent brand profile done by MGS’s John Barba goes more in depth about these changes. To give a brief overview for those who may have missed this excellent piece,  Vice Golf is a German DTC golf ball company that has been through a lot over the years. Vice Golf was created by two lawyers in 2010 and offers golf balls at competitive prices. They recently merged with HIO, Europe's premium fitting company, to further their R&D and use the massive library of data HIO has to create better golf balls for golfers of all skill levels.

image.png

Please welcome and congratulate our ten testers!

Vice Pro Plus - @storm319 @hands39 

Vice Pro - @Bubba1985 @Usmcgyrene 

Vice Pro Air - @Lefty11 @Skrizan 

Vice Tour - @TheSudds @Dukhook52 

Vice Drive - @Green4Spinach @Mulligan09

image.png

Congrats. Can't wait to read about the tests!

CREDMAN 

What a group!!!  Good luck to all of you on the testing, and may the balls ever be in your favor!

download.jpeg.5e986e56ebdc51f0de898a1275125dc2.jpeg

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.