Do you change balls in the summer?

Read this article today. I remember reading another article on how the ball flies farther in temperatures over 75 degrees. I have found this very true in the hot Texas summers. As such, I tend to play a higher compression ball during the summer. I have witnessed my driving average of 278 climb to 294 (with several over 300 a round) in the summer. I usually also gain a half club or more in iron distance. In the winter everything reverses and I use ball lower in compression than summer. I agree with the article that heat, humidity all lead to more distance!

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2024/06/20/golf-equipment-hot-weather-temperature-golf-balls/

Play like a champion today!

Here in Key West, it's summer 12 months a year. 

Thinking about it, we do actually have two seasons:  tourist and hot! 

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

23 hours ago, Javs said:

Read this article today. I remember reading another article on how the ball flies farther in temperatures over 75 degrees. I have found this very true in the hot Texas summers. As such, I tend to play a higher compression ball during the summer. I have witnessed my driving average of 278 climb to 294 (with several over 300 a round) in the summer. I usually also gain a half club or more in iron distance. In the winter everything reverses and I use ball lower in compression than summer. I agree with the article that heat, humidity all lead to more distance!

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2024/06/20/golf-equipment-hot-weather-temperature-golf-balls/

@Javs thanks for sharing and very true. Ball will travel 5-10 yards further in the heat of the summer. I have the reverse in the fall or early spring, when the temperatures dip into the high thirties or low forty degrees F (3-6* C). And you easily lose 5 or more yards. 

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2 plus, LA golf DJ shaft, 55S

3 wood - TM Stealth plus, Mitsubishi Kai’li. Blue, 5 wood - TM Stealth plus,  Hzrdus red, 3 hybrid Mizuno CLK, Fuji pro

Irons (5-PW) - Mizuno 921 HMP, Accra IS 80

Wedges, Vokey SM9 48*10F, 54* 12D, 58* 8M, DG S400

Putter: L.A.B. DF3, TPT shaft, pistol grip

Bag: Vessel Cobra tour stand bag

Balls: Titleist ProV1x, Callaway Chrome soft X LS, Bridgestone Tour B XS or Srixon Z star Diamond

Tech: Arccos, Bushnell Pro XE rangefinder image.jpeg.6421bf4c3e32ba5a27f4fe57d0571222.jpeg

5 hours ago, Cfhandyman said:

@Javs thanks for sharing and very true. Ball will travel 5-10 yards further in the heat of the summer. I have the reverse in the fall or early spring, when the temperatures dip into the high thirties or low forty degrees F (3-6* C). And you easily lose 5 or more yards. 

Glad you liked it. Yes I see about the same difference in the different seasons. One of the reasons I play different balls each season of the year. 

I have been using cheaper golf balls to start the season due to massive GUR on our course and how severe it is. It has meant some interesting times when I put a premium ball into play. Usually for the better, but also some adjustments had to be made. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

After talking with Bridgestone VOs several years back I stopped switching balls based on warmer va colder times. They said there was no need.

Same ball all year 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I will be honest, I have gone from playing exclusively ProV1x year round to whatever ball is in my bag/what I find/whatever is cheapest. I know that the stats are in full disagreement with me, but I have not found a large score/stat differential with this transition. Not saying its better or that I am correct, but I have not noticed a change in my performance using whatever ball I pull out of my bag. So my answer is I use my "better" balls in the summer, and crappy balls in the later season.

I play softer 2 piece balls in early spring and late fall, however it's more for having less pain when they disappear into leaves when I know exactly where they landed. 

In my Big Max hybrid bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D200 6i-GW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:maxfli: Tour S

9 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

After talking with Bridgestone VOs several years back I stopped switching balls based on warmer va colder times. They said there was no need.

Same ball all year 

That’s interesting because I actually see a difference. Or maybe it’s been a practice for so long I believe in it. 

1 minute ago, Javs said:

That’s interesting because I actually see a difference. Or maybe it’s been a practice for so long I believe in it. 

I used to think like that for a long time. I would switch out of a tour ball for the fall and winter rounds (mid Atlantic golf can see all kinds of weather from October til May). I would play a 2 piece ball in the colder weather. Had a chance to spend the weekend with the Bridgestone guys in 2015 when then e6 and e7 was released. We talked changing balls in weather and they were basically like it’s not that big of a difference and there’s no need to change. Other than the obvious effects from cold weather, wind, dampness of the fall vs the spring/summer and how it affects distance I don’t really see any change 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

2 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I used to think like that for a long time. I would switch out of a tour ball for the fall and winter rounds (mid Atlantic golf can see all kinds of weather from October til May). I would play a 2 piece ball in the colder weather. Had a chance to spend the weekend with the Bridgestone guys in 2015 when then e6 and e7 was released. We talked changing balls in weather and they were basically like it’s not that big of a difference and there’s no need to change. Other than the obvious effects from cold weather, wind, dampness of the fall vs the spring/summer and how it affects distance I don’t really see any change 

They maybe 100 percent correct. It’s probably a mental thing that I do. I do look forward to playing higher compression premium balls each summer. I do gain distance and my scores reflect it. It’s either a mental thing or playing a ball that fits my game better. However, no disputing the main point of the article that the ball flies farther in the summer. Especially the 90 to 100 degree days in Texas!

12 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I am with you there! Until about 2 or 3 years ago, I would use softer and lower compression balls (Maxfli Tour S or TM Tour Response) once the temperature got below about 45*F.  I did not switch back to my higher compression Maxfli Tour X (or Titleist ProV1x Left Dash) until my spring leagues started around April 1, unless I was taking a winter golf trip to Florida or Arizona.

After finding that there was really little difference regardless of what ball I was using in the colder temperatures, I just stuck with the Maxfli Tour X year-round.

Edited by funkyjudge

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max, PX Denali Black 6.0

4W - Titleist TSR2, Miyazaki Kusala Mizu 7S

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Cobra Forged Tec X, KBS TGI S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 47* (bent to 48*), 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100 Tour S

Putter - Evnroll 10 (Outback)

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Vessel stand bags

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

Lots of short game practice has made this a strength; now the driver is causing problems!

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, funkyjudge said:

I am with you there! Until about 2 or 3 years ago, I would use softer and lower compression balls (Maxfli Tour S or TM Tour Response) once the temperature got below about 45*F.  I did not switch back to my higher compression Maxfli Tour X (or Titleist ProV1x Left Dash  until my spring leagues started around April 1, unless I was taking a winter golf trip to Florida or Arizona.

After finding that there was really little difference regardless of what ball I was using in the colder temperatures, I just stuck with the Maxfli Tour X year-round.

I might have to stick with the left dash all year. However, that would take away my joy of changing balls in the summer. Ha ha

Edited by Javs

3 hours ago, Javs said:

I do look forward to playing higher compression premium balls each summer. I do gain distance and my scores reflect it. It’s either a mental thing or playing a ball that fits my game better. However, no disputing the main point of the article that the ball flies farther in the summer.

... Science says roughly 2.5 yds gained for every 10* increase in temperature. I play Maxfli Tour X and TP5x, high compression balls and use them year round and they really fly in summer.  Going from 65* in winter to 110* and higher in the summer, the ball travels 10-15yds farther in the extreme heat. There are a few bunkers that need my best swings to clear in winter but I fly them easily in summer. 112* and on a 477 yd par 5 yesterday I was on in two with a driver-5 iron and that can be driver-5 wood in the middle of winter. Although I feel a little silly calling anything "winter" in Phoenix!

Edited by chisag

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:  :cobra-small:    Aerojet 16* 3 wood ... AD-IZ6r
                  :cobra-small:    Aerojet 20* 7 wood ... Kai'Li Blue 70r
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Alta Hy70r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 4-9i ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x/Maxfli Tour X 

1 hour ago, Javs said:

However, no disputing the main point of the article that the ball flies farther in the summer. Especially the 90 to 100 degree days in Texas!

No question on that. That is pretty much well known data imo. Didn’t really reveal anything new

1 hour ago, chisag said:

... Science says roughly 2.5 yds gained for every 10* increase in temperature. I play Maxfli Tour X and TP5x, high compression balls and use them year round and they really fly in summer. Maxfli Tour X and TP5x. Going from 65* in winter to 110* and higher in the summer, the ball travels 10-15yds farther in the extreme heat. There are a few bunkers that need my best swings to clear in winter but I fly them easily in summer. 112* and on a 477 yd par 5 yesterday I was on in two with a driver-5 iron and that can be driver-5 wood in the middle of winter. Although I feel a little silly calling anything "winter" in Phoenix!

Agree with the science and I have the same kind of results!

2 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

No question on that. That is pretty much well known data imo. Didn’t really reveal anything new

Maybe not new to you, but new to some others. I just like sharing articles once in a while that some others might enjoy. 

15 minutes ago, Javs said:

Maybe not new to you, but new to some others. I just like sharing articles once in a while that some others might enjoy. 

... As well you should. 👍  I have him on ignore for exactly these kinds of posts. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:  :cobra-small:    Aerojet 16* 3 wood ... AD-IZ6r
                  :cobra-small:    Aerojet 20* 7 wood ... Kai'Li Blue 70r
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Alta Hy70r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 4-9i ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x/Maxfli Tour X 

I have notice a difference in distance and feel in hotter temps, I like playing in the mid to upper 80's even into the 90s. but to actually change balls only when it gets colder.

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

buckpillar@gmail.com

I saw once that there is some gimmick gift out there that is a warming pouch for golf balls. Since I was mildly embarrassed to ask my wife for it, I made my own, I put hot hands into a zip lock sandwich baggy. I honestly couldn't tell a difference but I like the idea of changing my environment to fit my needs. 

1. Driver Ping G5
  2. 3 Wood Ping G5
  3. 22 degree hybrid Ping G5
  4. Irons Ping G5 4-SW
  5. Putter Ping Anser 2
  6. Ball, anything that finds water

Seasons?  San Diego has 2 also:  daytime,    and   nighttime.    I change balls between the fairway and the green (oh no Mr. Bill!)

Serious:  I think I prefer urethane over surlyn around the green, but I also find that seeing where my ball is going, or finding it quickly, makes things better, so hi visibility greens, oranges,  and reds for now. 

Drv: PXG 0211 10.5 deg, Evnflo Riptide CB 40 gram A flex; and 2004 Callaway 454 Ti 10 deg on RCH 65 regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram A flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC Fli-Hi 3i 18 degree, Recoil 95 reg flex.

4 iron:  GFF Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree forged hollow body now (June 2024) on Aerotech Steelfiber 😍😃💥.

5 Hybrid: Mizuno 2017 version JPX Fli-Hi wave tech, Recoil ESX 460 reg flex.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil Smacwrap ES 760, reg flex.

Wedges: 2 Mizuno S5 52/09.  One bent up 2 degrees, one bent down 2 degrees.😍.  And a 60 deg Mizu T7.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" brass/bronze. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, Stroke Lab multi material shaft.🙃