Martini Golf Tees

I started playing golf around a year and a half ago.   Lately my driver is my best club in the bag.  I use Martini step up tees because I feel like I am hitting the exact same height at all times.  But recently I was paired up with some older golfers that were quite consistent and good.   I actually was playing good and keeping up with them.  When one asked me, how long you been playing?  I told them around a year and a half ago.  His response, "I could tell by the tee you use".   I know I shouldn't care, but is that what most of you would think if I was to be paired up with you on the course?  

tee.jpeg

WITB - All Pings  60 degree thru Driver

42 minutes ago, paleoman21 said:

but is that what most of you would think if I was to be paired up with you on the course?  

I’d think older golfer that struggles to get the ball to balance on a normal tee.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I doubt I would be looking closely enough to notice what tee you're using, let alone form any judgements about you based on tee choice.

Edited by Blueberry_Squishie

Cobra F9 9.5° (Hzrdus Yellow X)

Cobra Speedzone 15° (Tensei Blue X)

Srixon H85 19° (Hzrdus Black 85 6.0)

Mizuno MP20 MMC 4-PW (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Mizuno T20 51°, 55°, 59° (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 34"

Srixon ZStar

Funny, I picked up a martini tee someone left behind on the tee box the other day and used it for a few holes. I imagine they've tested such tees, but I began to wonder if the saucer the ball sits in might influence how I hit the ball. I didn't collect enough data to answer the question, but I did wonder. In answer to your question paleoman21, I find that the best golfers I've played with aren't concerned with what other players are doing, unless the other players are doing something well or interesting. I'm guessing if people are commenting on your tee choice, they aren't too focused on actual golf. I have an old Odyssey White Hot with a hole on top that I use. I wonder what they'd have to say about that! Probably not much if I'm putting well that day, eh?😉

20240725_205821.jpg

Still swinging after all these years

I have never concerned myself with what other players are doing/playing.  I would find it very annoying if someone commented on what equipment I was using.  The way I see it, if it is working for you, then that is great!

• Bag             1590477705_SunMountain.png.3391233ea391e8b6fde951d09bc76f6b.png  C130, 14 way Cart Bag
  • Driver         Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png       TSR1
  • Fairway.      635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      Halo XL Hy-Wood 4+
  • Fairway      default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg                GBB Epic 5
  • Hybrid        default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg                Epic Flash 3H
  • Irons          635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png         Launcher HB, 4 through PW
  • Wedges     635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png         CBX2 - 54 degree, CBX Zipcore 52 degree
  • Putter        Seemore3.jpg.1cb64ec83d2511c1ee1a386340a04d4e.jpg       Seemore Si1 Putter
  • Ball            Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png        Titleist pro v1x
  • Other        2000014788_ArccosSig.jpg.af5434230b907b708eb89aebd4125f95.jpg

Well, I have a fondness for pink tees, so I get my share of abuse from my golf pals.  A buddy uses the martini tees because he has a tremor and he finds it much easier to place a ball on the martini tee.  In fact, he cuts some down and sharpens the stem to use for irons shots on par 3's.  The person who commented on your choice of tees made a very human error in assuming he could make judgements about you based on such a small thing.

14 of the following:

Taylormade Qi10 Max

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Titleist TSR1 hybrid 26 degrees

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Ping G430 irons 6-50 degree

Sub 70 286 wedges 52 and 56 degrees

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

As a low single digit buddy puts it, "if I'm spending this much on balls, why the h*** wouldn't I put in the effort into finding the right tee for me and making sure as s*** that I'm not sending that mother******* OB?"

Like he so eloquently put it (cowboys are the most hilarious golf buddies), we put a lot of money and effort into getting our gear and games right. So I see anyone with unique tees in the same light, they're just trying to make sure everything, tee shot included, is as consistent and successful as possible. 

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

12 hours ago, MNUte said:

As a low single digit buddy puts it, "if I'm spending this much on balls, why the h*** wouldn't I put in the effort into finding the right tee for me and making sure as s*** that I'm not sending that mother******* OB?"

Like he so eloquently put it (cowboys are the most hilarious golf buddies), we put a lot of money and effort into getting our gear and games right. So I see anyone with unique tees in the same light, they're just trying to make sure everything, tee shot included, is as consistent and successful as possible. 

I'm going to have to flag this post as being too reasonable for the internet.

14 of the following:

Taylormade Qi10 Max

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Titleist TSR1 hybrid 26 degrees

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Ping G430 irons 6-50 degree

Sub 70 286 wedges 52 and 56 degrees

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

As someone who uses Martini tees, I have to admit it has never once occurred to me that it might reflect negatively on my game by using this tee.  I like it because I know the height is ALWAYS the same, regardless of whether or not I'm 100% paying attention.  While there may very well be some kind of data that suggests the larger 'saucer' that holds the ball has some kind of negative impact, I've never seen anything that suggests it.  I guess I'll have to go do some research on that.  I know that for me, since putting them into play last year, I hit the center(ish) of the face a LOT more often than not.

I've tried other tees, for sure, but mostly just love the simplicity of the martini set-up.  

Does anyone know if there's a downside to using such a large cup for the ball?  

Following to keep up with the info 🙂

Thanks all, and good post @MNUte!

Driver - Callaway Ai Smoke Max - 9* - Draw setting; Maltby UL (Otto Phlex)
5/7 Wood - Takomo Ignis
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*) (currently benched)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*/DF3 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

I just found this article (that I actually remember reading a few years back), if it's any help.  https://mygolfspy.com/labs/2020-golf-tee-test/

TLDR: most claims are bogus, and wood is a LOT cheaper, lol.  I still like the advantage of having it be the same height every time, but I may look for an alternative with a slightly smaller saucer on top so as not to give away my "hack" status on the first tee 😉

5/7 Wood - Takomo Ignis
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

13 minutes ago, GolfSpy SAM said:

Does anyone know if there's a downside to using such a large cup for the ball?

MGS has a couple of tee reviews. last one is here I believe.

Tour Edge C721 Driver, Integra 45g L flex shaft

BombTech 2 HW 16*

BombTech 5 W

Maltby KE4-Max 5 - PW, Recoil Dart 65 A flex shaft

Maltby TSW-DRM 50*/54* wedges, Recoil Dart 75 R flex/spinner shaft

Bettinardi Studio Stock #5 putter

22 minutes ago, GolfSpy SAM said:

As someone who uses Martini tees, I have to admit it has never once occurred to me that it might reflect negatively on my game by using this tee. 

I don’t see it as a negative, my comment was that I simply see it used more by older players that struggle to balance the ball on the tee.   I think you should just beat the player that looks down on you for using the martini tee.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

4 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I don’t see it as a negative, my comment was that I simply see it used more by older players that struggle to balance the ball on the tee.   I think you should just beat the player that looks down on you for using the martini tee.   

I meant more the OP's comment that someone said they knew they'd not been playing long by the use of the Martini.  Not sure how that equation was written in their heads, but teeing it up the same height every time is worth a little making fun, I guess - at least as far as I'm concerned 🙂

I also use an Amazon knock-off, which are not NEARLY as durable as the actual Martini (TM) tees - I tend to break one at least every other round, if not every round.  May just end up switching to tees that have a color banding on it and find the right height based on that.  Save myself a few pennies 🙂

5/7 Wood - Takomo Ignis
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

Swmbo uses martini tees because they last forever and are easy to find.

I use whatever i find on the range (perk of a grass range!) or the tee boxes.

Edited by Shapotomous

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex; Callaway Mavrik 18* 5w;  Mizuno JPX 919 HM Pro 4i; :ping-small: G410 5 & 6 iron;  :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 7 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

I know two guys who use them, both because they have some shakiness in their hands. One of them says he read that it's important to angle them a little forward for best results. Just like I'll never give swing advice to someone, I'm not going to question him on that!

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

On 7/25/2024 at 11:32 AM, paleoman21 said:

His response, "I could tell by the tee you use". 

I'm petty so, if it was me and I had a better drive than him on any hole the rest of the day I would 100% say, "You must be new since someone that has only golfed for 18 months drives it better".

If it works for you, who cares, these are USGA legal. Make fun of them for not using hickory shafted irons....

And... It's in the water...