Bothersome Playing Partners

What do y'all do when you get playing partners that just bicker like a married couple the whole time (coincidentally, they actually ARE a married couple)?  Do you try to cool the tensions (and how without hurting feelings) or just try to ignore them?  We were playing a couples scramble with them but they just kept going at each other, and it all started with a misplaced *shudders* iron head cover. 

:callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ (9* Xstiff)

:755178188_TourEdge: C720 15* FW (stiff)

:cleveland-small: 588 20.5* 3h

:mizuno-small: MP58 4-PW (std. specs)

:cleveland-small: RTX3 60*,56*,52*

Prairie Golf milled blade

:srixon-small: Z-Star

:Arccos:

Omaha, NE

9 HC, Righty

I’ve only encountered this as few times. Once it was with two folks that were clearly longtime friends that simply seemed to like to bicker with each other. Another was with a married couple that just seemed to rate and rant about each other’s skills. Personally, I ignore it as my sense is that sometimes they enjoy having an audience, so it will die down. And I certainly don’t want to get dragged into picking sides, etc. That said, if it gets annoying or starts affecting my game, then I’ll simply remind them that we’re here to try and enjoy each others company over a round of golf. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black

For me, I would just not play. I just dont have room for toxic people in my life now that I am retired. Id rather go play somewhere else than pay for something and have a miserable time knowingly going into it. I put up with nonsense like that for a long time and now I have found life to be far more peaceful without selfish toxic people in my life. If you do play try to have some fun with it. Take a side. Watch them melt down. JK JK My message really is take care of yourself, this is supposed to be fun and you deserve to have fun. 

This is a tough situation. I'm pretty good at ignoring it, and it usually cools off on its own, but I'm also the kind of guy that if I know the couple well, I'll say something to help ease some tension or just stir the pot up if they don't cool off after I mentioned something lol.

If it's getting so bad it's getting awkward and can't ignore anymore, and your good friends with them, I'd mention something. Often times, people don't realize just how out of place their banter/bickering is, and won't stop or cool down until it's brought to light by someone outside of the immediate bickering. I've actually had success with interjecting my achievements on the course (which are actually not that great so that helps with the comedy aspect of what I'm trying to achieve) and comparing it to being better then one of the individuals bickering when it's beyond obvious it's not; or would compare it to almost being as bad as that shot that [person] shot 3 holes back when their [insert funny recap of a humorous shot, usually poking fun at the person that looks like they laugh the most at the story].

If all else fails, feel free to stir the pot more. It can make it more awkward at times if they don't pick up on you ragging on them as being a humorous/friendly interjection, but I've never had it not stop the bickering before when I just couldn't stand the noise a second longer.

Driver:   2024 Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke MAX 9deg(wgt'd draw w/ hosel set +1&draw)
Hybrids:  2022 TSR2 - 3Hybrid(19Deg)
Irons:    2023 T790 5-9i,Pw,Aw - Dynamic Gold 115g Stiff
Wedges:   2024 Vokey SM10 55Deg(56Deg loft adj. -1) - same
Putter:   2004 Scotty Cameron Futura - 38.25", 4Deg Lie
Ball:     2020 Vice Pro, Callaway SuperHot/SuperSoft Matte

In all my years of playing I have been fortunate enough to have never played with anyone who "fought" on the course. However I have recently been paired with a gentleman who was very nice but just wouldn't keep quiet. Now I don't mind having a conversation during the round but the only time he really kept quiet was when I was out of normal hearing range.

Driver: Ping G430 SFT 10.5 at the Flat Setting

Fairway Woods: Ping SFT G425 3-5

Hybrid   Ping G410 4H

Irons     Ping G425 5-LW

Putter:  Ping Anser 2           

Ball:      Titleist Tour Speed/AVX

Bag:      Titleist

All shafts are Ping's CB Alta, Regular in Woods and Hybrids, Stiff in the irons ( I just like these shafts and never saw a reason to look for 

others)

I will full on make the issue front row to the match. I'd say things like, "you two are awfully quiet this hole, did someone apologize or something?" I don't care if they're my partners, I'd rather let them melt down, putt first and give me a read, or whatever than let it bother me. I often enjoy watching people melt down from anger unless they're newer and genuinely trying to get better. Then I say screw it and let myself shank a few. Life's too short. 

Now if they were fighting AND blasting a Bluetooth speaker? I may just walk home.

Grip it and rip it. (Unless you're talking about John Daly's Good Boy Teamonade; that stuff is gross)