2012 Ryder Cup

RoverRick

OK, on to something besides b!tching about the outcome. My question is, you know that Europe is going to come out with the hot players first. Their only hope is to get points on the board and hope that motivates their weaker players and the continue the momentum. That seemed to work out pretty well for them.

Do you as captain basically concede those early matches by sending out you players that are not having a good weekend, basically reverse the order of the US team? Send out Tiger, Stricker, Furyk, Mickelson, etc. You are then sending out all the vetrans early, and have the younger ones and rookies at the back of the order.

Do you tell your team that you do not expect the early ones to win? But that you do expect the later ones to win.

Of course you do not KNOW the Euros order but you do know that they can not lose the first four matches so they are sending their best in those matches. Why not say you are sending your cold players in those four matches and put the meat of your order in the clean up spot.

The problem with this strategy is that really the US had a lot of hot players on Friday and Saturday and the Euros had a lot of hot players on Sunday, but they took their momentum. The young guns may have been able to stop the momentum against the weaker Euros.

I am not really disagreeing with DL3. I thought of this at the time. Everyone was talking about getting the points on the board early and letting the momentum build. My strategy is to acknowledge that they were going to get some points but stop them. We only need 4 1/2 so let them spend their hot guys on our cold guys and use our hot ones to take out their cold ones.

In the end, I much rather have Keegan, Bubba, or Webb standing over the winning putt than Woods, Furyk, and Stricker. Honestly, I would rather have Jason or Zach but any of these are better than those three this year.

Agree or Disagree?

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 15°  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:mizuno-small: ST190 18° on Graphite Design AD DJ 7S 

:ping-small: G425 22°  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too much second guessing for me - The Euro's won, the Yanks lost plain and simple. We lost because we couldn't seem to find a way to win 17 or 18.

Given the results of the last several Ryder Cups, Major Championships over the past 5 years and World Rankings in general the past 5 years I think we have to admit that top level pros in Europe are playing better golf than the top level US pros at this point.

It's close but it's hard to come to any other conclusion really.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

In the end, I much rather have Keegan, Bubba, or Webb standing over the winning putt than Woods, Furyk, and Stricker. Honestly, I would rather have Jason or Zach but any of these are better than those three this year.

I agree mostly. I even said as much before the captains pics were announced. Would Mahan have made a point? or Fowler? Who knows.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

The Ryder Cup system of each match being worth one point means that matches determined on the last hole can result in a point swing in either direction based on a missed or made putt. Just think of all the last hole putts--made or missed-- that would have changed the entire outcome. Stricker (miss), Furyk (miss), Poulter (make), and Rose(make)... that's just some I easily remember. I'm sure there were others where a miss or make would have changed the outcome. So the Ryder Cup really is nothing more than an eighteenth hole putting contest. And it's certain over three days of play that several matches will go to the last hole. Whichever team makes the most putts on the last hole will almost surely win.

I think future home captains should get the entire team to practice putting all they can on the 18th green... knowing in advance where the holes will be cut. If Davis had done that, the US would have won. And going to Scotland in two years... the US team better learn every break... visible or not... in that 18th green.

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/8449570/how-us-lost-ryder-cup

Meltdown at Medinah

Originally Published: October 1, 2012

By Rick Reilly | ESPN.com

MEDINAH, Ill. -- America's biennial toothache -- the Ryder Cup -- was extracted without novocaine Sunday, leaving nothing but the usual bloodstains. It was the worst choke job in Cup history. They put the "die" in Medinah.

But it didn't have to be. The USA could have and should have won.

In fact, it would have if only ...

• Captain Davis Love hadn't let Phil Mickelson push him around like a wheelbarrow. Love admitted he was considering playing his undefeated star pairing -- Mickelson and Keegan Bradley -- in the afternoon Saturday, but Mickelson talked him out of it. "Do not play us this afternoon," Mickelson said. "We're giving you everything we have." But he and Keegan hadn't even been stressed in their three wins. They had played only 32 holes, total.

Mickelson's reason?

"Historically and mathematically, guys have not done so well in singles if they have played every session," he said. It's not even remotely true (they win about half the time). Two men played all five matches in this Cup -- Justin Rose and Rory McIlroy -- and both won Sunday. Rose didn't seem tired at all Sunday. In fact, he sank three huge bombs on the last three holes to beat -- wait for it -- Mickelson.

• That Chicago state trooper hadn't driven like Jimmie Johnson through the streets of suburban Chicago to get European star Rory McIlroy to the course with eight minutes to spare. "He was asking me, 'Do you get motion sickness?'" McIlroy said. "And I'm like, 'No, no! Just get me there!'" He got there and nobody threw up, except Bradley, who got 4 down before eventually losing, 2-and-1, to a man who hadn't even warmed up. Any way to give that cop a ticket?

• Someone named Nicolas Colsaerts hadn't suddenly become Jack Nicklaus at the worst possible time. In a best-ball match Friday that included a red-hot Tiger Woods, Colsaerts was hotter. Woods made seven birdies. Colsaerts made eight. And an eagle.

Then he issued the greatest quote in Ryder Cup history: "You have just got to go with what's in your pants." Then Colsaerts went out and did zip the rest of the week, losing every match. He'd already done enough. That point cost America the win.

• Love hadn't picked Jim Furyk. Said it at the time, saying it now: Furyk has heartache painted all over him this season after blowing two majors in the final holes. Sunday, he bogeyed the last two holes against Sergio Garcia (ugh!) to give away a point he had tucked in his pocket on the 17th tee box, when he was 1 up. He's been part of six losing Ryder Cup teams and only two winning ones. Why pick him and bring all that bad Ryder mojo back? What America needs in the Ryder Cup is new, fresh-faced leaders who don't have the Ryder Cup losing gene imprinted into their cells. It needs young guys who love it, aren't afraid of it and don't know we're supposed to lose in it -- your Rickie Fowlers, for instance. Love could've picked him. Instead, he dipped back into the weeping well.

• Martin Kaymer hadn't made that 5-foot 20,000-fathoms-of-pressure putt on 18. That would've given Steve Stricker a half point. Then chaos wouldn't have erupted, and Tiger Woods could've had some quiet and made his simple par on 18 to win his match against one of the many Molinari brothers and win the Cup. Instead, it dropped and the V-E Day erupted.

It was breathtaking theater. As Kaymer paced around that putt, trying to get a deep breath, he thought about countryman Bernhard Langer's 6-foot miss that lost the Cup for Europe at Kiawah in 1991. He let that suicidal thought pop up in his brain and still buried it. "I said to myself, 'It's not going to happen again,'" Kaymer said afterward. "'You have only one option. You have to make it.' If you ask me how that putt rolled, I have no idea. I can't remember. But I'll be able to tell my grandchildren someday." Seriously, is sports cool or what?

• They've held it on a week when Tiger Woods was busy. The man is a golf god, but he's a human Ryder Cup jinx. He does not like sharing a golf ball. He has played in seven of these and lost six. Is it a coincidence that the last time America won, in 2008, he was on his couch? That team seemed lighter, looser. Nobody was having to step gingerly around the What Do We Do With Tiger? question.

Consider: Mickelson loves taking young bucks under his arm and showing them the way. In 2008: Anthony Kim. In 2012: Bradley. Do you ever see Tiger volunteering for that job? He always asks and gets to play with cronies he doesn't have to shepherd: Furyk and Stricker. It never works. He and Stricker just kept losing last week (0-7-1), yet Love just kept sticking with them. Lunacy.

• Love hadn't sent Woods off last on Sunday. Woods always seems to get sent off last, then gets stuck playing the 18th hole through a Macy's parade. "It was pointless to finish," Woods said Sunday night, not realizing he had made a very good pun. "Tiger likes to play late," Love explained.

Really?

Then why is he always playing his practice rounds at 6 a.m.? When you know Europe's only chance is to put their big howitzers out early and get some blue going, why not put your best player out early to fight them? Why not hope he puts some red on the board and inspires the troops behind him? Why not? "Because Tiger asked to go late," Love said. Remind me, who was the captain again?

• Europe didn't find some kind of slice vaccine in the team room Sunday morning. Three guys who had been playing like groggy wildebeests -- Kaymer, Paul Lawrie and Lee Westwood -- all came out of nowhere to win points. Kaymer and Lawrie had won squat in the first two days, and Westwood had been carried by his partner to win one point. Suddenly, they were all Byron Nelson. That was murderous.

• Love had an ounce of fire and brimstone in him. I was standing on the 18th green Saturday afternoon when play was over and the USA had forged a 10-6 lead. I overheard Mickelson trying to psych up starry-eyed rookie Brandt Snedeker. "Listen," he said, grabbing him by the arm, "we have to ball tomorrow. This thing is far from over. In 1995 at Oak Hill, Corey Pavin chipped in on Saturday night, and we had a two-point lead. We thought it was over. And we lost. We have to get out there and ball tomorrow!"

Compare that to what Love told his troops Saturday night: "Hey, let's have fun and keep doing what we've been doing." And then he asked them all where they wanted to play in the Sunday order. Who wants milk and cookies?

"In hindsight," Love said Sunday night, "I guess we'd have done a lot of different things."

Next time, can we get somebody with his own plan?

Nice looking outfits, though.

I still feel bad for Davis here - Last I checked he didn't hit a shot or stroke a putt - In fact the last time I remember him stroking a putt on 18 to win the Ryder Cup he made it.

Perhaps that was his "fault" he should have time warped it and picked himself.

Can't we just admit that the Euro's have the upper hand right now? When you have a body of work it gets obvious at some point. I'd go with the young guys too in hopes that they will turn it around.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Archived