Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Just Arrived - Cobra AMP Cell Pro Irons

Tony Covey MGS

• SPY VIP

These beauties arrived on my front porch just a few days ago. As a result of my enthusiasm over what I think is the best looking players iron I've seen in quite some time, it's quite possible that Blair O'Neal now thinks of me as Creepy Front Porch Guy, but hey...these irons are so sweet it's well worth it.

In case you're wondering, this is not the true blade set that Rickie Fowler plays. These are what Cobra is calling a "Flow" set. Think of it as a progressive (or I suppose regressive) cavity-back design. The long irons have a little bit of a cavity to them which allows for a little perimeter weighting (forgiveness), as you progress to the shorter irons, you move into a true muscleback design.

The topline is perhaps a bit thicker than many true blades (although the modern blade certainly ain't what it used to be). The "butter knife" design (true blade) set that Rickie Fowler plays will be available through Cobra's Custom Department. Cobra expects that the flow set will find its way into the bag of Ian Poulter.

The unconventional background I chose for the pics should give you a preview of some of what I'll be wearing at this year's 2013 PGA Show.

Cobra AMP Cell Pro-00.jpg

Cobra AMP Cell PRO-1.jpg

Cobra AMP Cell PRO-2.jpg

Cobra AMP Cell PRO-3.jpg

Cobra AMP Cell PRO-4.jpg

Cobra AMP Cell PRO-5.jpg

Cobra AMP Cell PRO-6.jpg

Cobra AMP Cell PRO-7.jpg

Cobra AMP Cell PRO-8.jpg

Cobra AMP Cell PRO-9.jpg

Cobra AMP Cell PRO-11.jpg

Cobra AMP Cell PRO-12.jpg

Cobra AMP Cell PRO-14.jpg

Cobra AMP Cell PRO-15.jpg

Cobra AMP Cell PRO-16.jpg

Cobra AMP Cell PRO-17.jpg

Cobra AMP Cell PRO-18.jpg

Cobra AMP Cell PRO-19.jpg

Cobra AMP Cell PRO-20.jpg

Cobra AMP Cell PRO-21.jpg

Cobra AMP Cell PRO-22.jpg

Cobra AMP Cell PRO-23.jpg

Cobra AMP Cell PRO-24.jpg

Cobra AMP Cell PRO-25.jpg

Cobra AMP Cell PRO-26.jpg

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I want! But I think I would remove the paint fill on the box section

MY BAG-

Driver- Taylormade SLDR 12* (Speeder 7.2vc tour spec S)

3 Wood- Taylormade R11(bimatrix prototype S)

3 Hybrid- Ping I20(stock S)

Irons-Taylormade Tour Perferred MC ( C Taper S)

Wedges- 50, 54, and 58 SCOR4161( KBS)

Putter-Taylormade Ghost Corza.

All Left Handed!

• SPY VIP

Great pics T!

Initially, they look like the Mizzy 59s, obviously minus the insert but at first glance, I was like whooo, they took a page outa Mizzy's book, HaHa

Have ya hadda chance to hit em?

Thanx for the pics, excellent

Fairways & Greens 4ever

Nope --- haven't hit them yet. Giving strong consideration to bringing them to the PGA show with me. I'm still optimistic Cobra is going to send me the Rickie Fowler edition True Blade.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Nice......are they the new Cobra MP-59's?

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Hot diggity! MP-59's jumped into my head, too. As did Blair O'Neil. She stayed there longer.

Great pics - can't wait to read the review!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Nope --- haven't hit them yet. Giving strong consideration to bringing them to the PGA show with me. I'm still optimistic Cobra is going to send me the Rickie Fowler edition True Blade.

Wait wait wait, old man "I hurt my back stretching" is going to bring these to the show? To play with, or just to look good in your bag? And what in the world would you do with Fowler blades? Gardening? :lol:

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Those irons looks very nice. Can't wait to hear how they feel and play.

I was picturing you with a little something snazzier for the grips though...

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

So... beautiful :wub:

If I'm not mistaken it looks like they come equipped with C-tapers?

Driver: Ping G25 9.5° TFC Tour X-stiff w/New Decade Multicompound Whiteout/Red

Fairway Wood: 3w Tour Edge Exotics CB4 Tour 13° Aldila RIP X-stiff w/New Decade Multicompound Black/Red

Hybrid: 3h Tour Edge Exotics CB4 Tour 19° Aldila RIP X-stiff w/New Decade Multicompound Black/Red

Irons: Cobra Amp Cell Pro's 4i-PW KBS C-Taper X-stiff + 1/2" w/New Decade Multicompound Whiteout/Black

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM4's 50°, 54°, 58° DG S300's +1/2" w/New Decade Multicompound Whitout/Black

Putter: Nike Method 001 34" w/SuperStroke Mid-Slim White/Red

Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x

• SPY VIP

Those irons looks very nice. Can't wait to hear how they feel and play.

I was picturing you with a little something snazzier for the grips though...

I didn't give them any specs on the grips...and unfortunately, I don't think they stock IOmic...almost no one does.

• SPY VIP

So... beautiful :wub:

If I'm not mistaken it looks like they come equipped with C-tapers?

Stock is True Temper Dynamic Golf, but yes...those are C-Tapers.

• SPY VIP

Wait wait wait, old man "I hurt my back stretching" is going to bring these to the show? To play with, or just to look good in your bag? And what in the world would you do with Fowler blades? Gardening? :lol:

Back is better...I'll be ready (not the same as able). Why blades... it's not always about the score. Borrowing from the Miura Philosophy: Play what gives you the most pleasure in golf. And since this is a Cobra-PUMA thread...here's another way to look at it:

EnjoyGolfWM-1.jpg

Nice looking sticks.....very MP59ish. Nothing wrong with that!

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Are y'all going to do player testing by letting some forum members write reviews like some of the other clubs lately? As a player who is fighting between sticking with blades or switching to a players cavity back this set perks my interest. It would be interested to hear as many opinions as possible. I will also be trying them out.

It's all about the short game, unless you can't keep it in play!

What's in my Bag:
Driver: Adams Speedline Super LS 10.5 with Excalibur T7+ tour stiff shaft
3 Wood: Adams Speedline Super LS 13 degree with Excalibur TFW Tour stiff shaft
Hybrid: Nickent 6DT 19 degree Aldilla Voodoo NV Stiff shaft
Irons: 4-9 KZG Tour Evolution with Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 tour 120 x flex shafts
Wedges:49 degree Dave Pelz wedge with a Nippon N.S. Pro Modus tour 120 x flex shaft. 54,64 Dave Pelz wedges with Rifle spinner shafts 59 Degree Scor wedge with rifle spinner shaft.
Putter: Bentinardi Ben Hogan Big Ben Center shafted 33 inches with best grips custom pistol putter grip.

Ball: Titleist Pro V1X, Callaway Hex Chrome +

Great looking clubs!

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

That would be cool to get the True Blades and compare them with the AMP Cell Pros. The Pros look very nice and look like they'll perform good.

• SPY VIP

That would be cool to get the True Blades and compare them with the AMP Cell Pros. The Pros look very nice and look like they'll perform good.

I got another little surprise from Cobra this afternoon. It's not quite the Fowler blades, but it's definitely something I was hoping I'd be able to get my hands on. Pics coming tomorrow.

Really nice looking sticks T - I'm envious although I have to say that mine don't suck at this point either. :)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Great Pics T!!! Just want to say that I came to look at these to hate them, but I cant say that at all there beautiful!!! Please let us know how they feel..

Whats in the bag:

Titleist 910D2 10.5 Graphite Design Y7-S

Adams 1600 proto 14.5 Graphite Design AD DJ

Titleist 910F 17 Ust Tour Black

Titleist 910H 22 Diamana Kali

Adams Idea Pro A12 4-9 KBS C Taper

Titleist Vokey SM4 46 degree w/ DG Spinner

Mizuno MP R12 50-54-58 DG spinner

Ping Redwood ZB

Ball Nike 20XI-X

Dang, had no interest in Cobra for some reason. Just never paid any attention to them. But these are great looking! Looking at the pictures I was going to say how much they look like mp59s. But Richard among others beat me to it. So I won't say it. :) I like the idea. It's like a combo set, but progressive instead of jumping from cavity to blade. That is what drew me to X Protos. Not a cavity. But a little weight on the top line and progressively more in the shorter irons. It makes them more forgiving than traditional blades, but also raises the c o g in the shorter clubs to help keep the ball flight down and more piercing. These will help with forgiveness, but probably not so much keeping the ball flight down. I'll be watching for the review to see though.

Back is better...I'll be ready (not the same as able). Why blades... it's not always about the score. Borrowing from the Miura Philosophy: Play what gives you the most pleasure in golf. And since this is a Cobra-PUMA thread...here's another way to look at it:

You know I'm just busting balls.

I'm glad to hear your back is better.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Matt T threw one over the plate for you and you knocked it out of the park - all of us have been on the receiving and the giving end of a good one and that gardening thing was a good one - just watch your "back" for a while because T owes you one. ;)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• SPY VIP

I can't say I'm surprised by the initial comparisons to the Mizuno MP-59. The shape of Cobra's cavity cut-out is similar to that of the Mizuno insert, but I can assure you that's where the comparisons should end.

The AMP Cell Pro is much more compact. It has a much thinner topline, and less offset. From a playability standpoint the 59s sit in the middle of Mizuno's lineup, the AMP Cell Pro, with allowances for the true blade custom option - sit at the extreme players end of the Cobra lineup.

Taking the cavity shape out of the discussion, if we're trying to draw comparisons to the Mizuno lineup, the MP-69 is probably more realistic.

Actually the AMP Cell Pro is a bit of the reverse of the MP-69. With the latter, the irons transition from more of a true blade in the long irons to more of a bulky mucleback in the short iron and PW (the PW is not dissimilar from an MP-R12 wedge for example).

With the AMP Cell Pro, the longer irons are more cavity back in nature (MP-64ish), which the shorter irons are pure muscle back.

Simplest point of differentiation for me: I was trying to win a tournament, I'd have no reservations about putting the 59s in the bag. As much as I love the AMP Cell Pros, I'd have to be at my absolute best ball-striking (which happens 2, maybe 3 rounds over the course of a season) to have a chance.

• 3 weeks later...

Saw these at the show. Very, very NICE!!!!! Oh how I wish my 60 year old swing would accomodate these. I did swing them at the show and believe it or not they were not that unforgiving. Not saying I am going to bag them........I not that ignorant, but I have found that I can still dream. And OH so target driven....WoW!!! Every shot I took was straight at the pin.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived